PDA

View Full Version : Tavern names in your game. Share a few with the rest of us.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Tavern names in your game. Share a few with the rest of us.

Anyone who plays rpgs will inevitably venture into a Tavern. This being said, please share some Tavern names you chose to use with the rest of us.

All rpg's are welcome. If it's not fantasy, just be sure to give us the genre.

Some names i have used in the past are:

1) The Dragon's Snout

2) The Dwarven Boilermaker

3) The Goblins Ear Pub

What are some of yours. What share you?

CEBedford
07-26-2009, 10:11 PM
In one game I used a seedy tavern with an illegal underground fight arena and called it The Temple of Blood and Spirits.

outrider
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Blind Octopus, Walking Squid, The Angry Sword, The Lobster and the Crab, Above the others, Two Hills among many

korhal23
07-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Got a mostly nautical theme going there, eh outrider?
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I've used Five Crossroads Inn, The Dancing Demon, and the Silver Dwarf recently.

outrider
07-26-2009, 11:05 PM
i have lots of coastal cities.:biggrin:

MuslixtheMighty
07-26-2009, 11:37 PM
The Gut Bucket.

(That place has been in practically ever setting, game and genre for one of my GMs.)

Sascha
07-27-2009, 01:34 AM
"The Slaughtered Lamb" or "the Nag and Weasel," depending on tone. Also, a genre-appropriate variant of "Rick's."

Non-pop culture reference, modern(ish)-genre: "Limerence," a trendy upscale nightclub/hotspot.

CEBedford
07-27-2009, 08:10 AM
The Gut Bucket.

(That place has been in practically ever setting, game and genre for one of my GMs.)

I have one who uses the Bloody Bucket in every fantasy game.

mrken
07-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Have been using the Golden Goose and the Smiling Fox. There are a few others but I would have to go into the archives to remember. :(

Oldgamer
07-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Ye old Green Griffon Inn, Red Dragon Inn, the Headless Woman, Braun's Brew, Tom's Tavern (couldn't call it Tun Tavern), Trixie's Tricks ... there's been a lot :) More than I can remember at the moment.

tesral
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Nag's Head Inn: Isia City, Havree. They have a hell horse head as the sign outside. Great cooking, decent rooms. The headquarters of the Nag's Head Adventuring company.

The Golden Griffin: Hellsgate. Highly civilized bar in a less than civilized city. Known for the solid gold griffin on the bar. Holds KC's Cafe. A coffee bar in one corner. (coffee is very expensive.) And don't forget the Saruroi bouncers that keep the place civilized.

The Salty Shark: Seahaven, Janorda. Bustling barely above a dive on the Seahaven water front. The booze is honest, the food plentyful and cheap. Very crowded around mealtimes. Shark burgers a speciality.

The Smiling Ogre: Zillic City, Zillica. Run by a rather friendly Ogre and his adopted human daughter. The men come for her, and keep quite for him. "Papa" likes a quite house.

The Bizzare: Seahaven, Janorda. On the edge of the main market in the city. Actually a mundane bar with booze and light food offerings. The sex club in the basement is by invitation only.

Don't Drop Inn: Coranth, Coranth Just plan nasty sub-dive and proud of it.

Aidan
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I have a few that I use:

The Orc's Head: the original sign was an actual severed orc's head. When that got to disgusting, it was replaced with the more usual painted wooden sign depicting a severed orc's head.

The Pig and Whistle: Don't know why, I just like the name.

The Unruly Stoat: For some reason, I find the word stoat to be one of the funniest in the english language. Probably because of associations with Monty Python.

CEBedford
07-27-2009, 04:11 PM

Is it located in Stormwind?

Harwel
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
The WTF No Poll Tavern, founded after I saw Thoth start a thread with no poll.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-27-2009, 04:42 PM
I have a few that I use:

No doubt specializing in coffee, bran, booze, and beans. :laugh:

The WTF No Poll Tavern, founded after I saw Thoth start a thread with no poll.

I know, i know, i was just under the weather a bit---pain and all. Sucks to be me at times. :rolleyes:

Takatchi
07-27-2009, 05:19 PM
The Swillhole stands out for me because I've used it in pretty much every game I've run, and it's an unspoken statement of "Don't drink anything here." I mostly use it for backwater slum-type bars. :D

Doom Crow
07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Most recently in my campaigns I had a tavern called "The Wolf & the Unicorn".

I've also always liked "The Skinned Man" from Paizo's Savage Tide Adventure Path.

Webhead
07-29-2009, 12:35 PM
My absolute favorite name for a tavern in a fantasy campaign (sadly, I cannot claim it as my own idea but I use it any chance I get) is:

The Drunk Duck Inn

The tavern sign depicts the profile of a white-feathered duck with one anthropomorphically-fingered hand clutching a mug full of frothing beer.

I designed the foundation for an entire campaign around that inn.

Baldwin Stonewood
07-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Sailport is large town I created. It has a few notable taverns.

The Copper Piece: A dive tavern, where drinks are cheap and the crowd is rowdy.

The Singing Bard: A moderately priced tavern that was recently acquired by the renowned bard, Simon Haggleworth. Ale is strong, wine sweet and good song can be had by all.

The Sea Hag: A tavern known for its back room dealings and illegal dealings.

Valdar
07-30-2009, 11:08 PM
I think there's a generator out there that I use.

Some favorites, not from the generator:

The Hungry Hungry Hippogriff

The Expeditious Retreat

Tasha's Hideous Shelter

The Star and Buck

Tolkie Inn

Otiluke's Freezing Beer

etc...

SneakSneakStabStab
07-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Most of the time it is just a tavern with no name unless they ask then i just make something up on the spot, but if i make it an important tavern i always go with the old favorite THE FOAMING MUG.

Tamburlain
07-31-2009, 02:11 AM
The Freaky Tooth is the name of the pub/bar/taverna type establishment that frequently pops up in my Changeling games. Of course, there is an analogous tavern in several of my D&D campaigns called Ye Olde Freaky Tooth.

And if and when I ever get to run a Deadlands Reloaded game, you can be sure that I will implement some variety of piss 'n vinegar watering hole that I intend to dub The Freaky Tooth Saloon.

Baldwin Stonewood
07-31-2009, 05:49 AM
The Freaky Tooth is the name of the pub/bar/taverna type establishment that frequently pops up in my Changeling games. Of course, there is an analogous tavern in several of my D&D campaigns called Ye Olde Freaky Tooth.

And if and when I ever get to run a Deadlands Reloaded game, you can be sure that I will implement some variety of piss 'n vinegar watering hole that I intend to dub The Freaky Tooth Saloon.

I game with another member from this list Skunkape. We are about to kick off a hybrid version of a Deadland Reloaded campaign. Its a mixture of Savaged World, basic role play, and deadlands reloaded. He is in the process of putting it on his website. Make sure you watch his intro.

The following link: http://www.johnprime.com/deadwood_deacon/

tesral
07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Olde British pubs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_names) are a good source of names. Many can be broken down as "This & That" or "Adjective Object". Bull & Mouth, Cat & Fiddle, Red Lion, Hanged Man, etc..

Using an evocative tavern name can prompt players to ask a local about it and get some background that will lead to an adventure hook.

Signs once depicted the name of the tavern for those that could not read. Sometimes objects would be used as the sign (As is the case with the Nag's Head) A boot a common tool, or object hung above the door becomes the name of the Pub. (Which for the Americans in the forum is a shorting of "public house" the formal name of bars in Britain. The tavern keeper is called a "publican".)

kitsune1842
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Of Tavern's and Inns I have used in games the tops are...

The Drunken Dragon. Midrange bar, they welcome everyone but ask dwarves to check thier Axes, and have a drink called a Great Wyrm Slayer with a DC 30 Con save to not end up on the floor.

The Blu Cat CLub. Stolen shamelessly from the Diskworld books by Terry Preatchett. If you know about it from the books you can get why it was fun to drop in a game, if not you might not want to ask.

The Grilled Kobold. My really seedy bars always have Kobold in the name. The one time I got to GM a Cyberpunk game I even through in a chain called Kobold Burgers.

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-03-2009, 03:01 PM
(Which for the Americans in the forum is a shorting of "public house" the formal name of bars in Britain. The tavern keeper is called a "publican".)

I have been wondering where "Pub" cam from, but whenever it came back into my head I was never near any kind of research tool.

TheSmartestLemming
09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
One of my favorites from a book I read recently (can't remember the name) was The Holy Leper. Others that I like to use a lot in large cities are The Beacon, The Northern Star, The Rose and Thistle

Hoitash
09-16-2009, 09:41 PM
My original idea was a tavern so old its name was lost to history, but I settled on The Stable Boy, an old barn converted to a tavern well renowned for serving the only decent breakfast in the area.

The Baron's like to meet there because they enjoy said breakfast. Why not enjoy a pancake with your morning ale?

Handsomethrowrug
09-17-2009, 02:01 AM
The Red Knife was a good one, nice and ominous.

Though the best is by far the You Get Beer Inn Here Inn.

wbrandel
09-17-2009, 10:44 AM
In the game I am currently running (D&D 4e) I have:

The Brave Rabbit
The Singing Cat
The Sleeping Wyrm
The Lord's Mug (that one was inspired by the signature of a member here)

There are several more. I normally have a list of 30 or so names I can use if I need to.

KnightoftheOldCode
09-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Had the players in a fort out in the wild so they constantly got attacked by orcs so the tavern was named "The orcs entrails" :)

WhiteTiger
09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
The Flaming Fist !!! :smokin::flame:

russdm
09-22-2009, 06:39 PM
I got some that i have used:

Inn of the Frying Dragon-the dragon is the inn's cook. I shall give you a moment to get the joke.

Lord Soth's Bed and Breakfast-run by Lord Soth.

The Stumbling Dwarf- owned by elves

The Drunken Elf-owned by dwarves

The Bloody Dagger-an inn known for having many killings.

Some from the base of operations for players in my caves of doom thing:

Inns: Dusty Road Inn, the largest inn in the fort; Dragon Scales Inn, a smaller inn that has a decent amount of clientele; Flamewind Heights, a series of houses surround a large barn comprising the main room of this inn.

Taverns: Broken Bottle, most frequented tavern in town; Slash & Smash, a tavern owned by an Orc named Grog; Hangs'em High, a tavern known for its violence.

So tahts i have, but i can come up with more.

traesin
09-23-2009, 08:55 AM
how is this for lame. The Exit Inn. Impromptu game while going down the highway and I was desperate. No I wasn't driving.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont' know if i mentioned this one yet, but i named one tavern The Dragons Snout.

GoddessGood
09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Haven't had taverns, just tea houses. They were called the Red Blossom and The Lonely Song.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Had another one called The Halflings Weed. It was a smoke house that also served halfling beer and blood pie. It was quite popular with the little folk, as you can imagine. Our players loved it.

tesral
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Had another one called The Halflings Weed. It was a smoke house that also served halfling beer and blood pie. It was quite popular with the little folk, as you can imagine. Our players loved it.

On that line the Happy Mushroom. A restaurant run by a Hobbit family in the city of Woodmanor. It is popular for lunch, and serves as you might suspect mainly mushroom dishes.

The house is sized for big people as that is the majority of the clientèle. However when Suszan McDonald the Centaur arrives they do have to make some room.

lomifeh
09-24-2009, 10:33 AM
The Slaughtered Lamb (I ripped it off from An american Werewolf in London).

Also there was Red's which I had run by an ex-mercenary that was a big hang out.

But my favorite has to be the Pissing Griffin.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
09-24-2009, 11:54 AM
On that line the Happy Mushroom. A restaurant run by a Hobbit family in the city of Woodmanor. It is popular for lunch, and serves as you might suspect mainly mushroom dishes.

The house is sized for big people as that is the majority of the clientèle. However when Suszan McDonald the Centaur arrives they do have to make some room.

I'd frequent it, no question. :D

The Slaughtered Lamb (I ripped it off from An american Werewolf in London).

I remember that pub; great movie, BTW.

Also there was Red's which I had run by an ex-mercenary that was a big hang out.

But my favorite has to be the Pissing Griffin.

What made this one so great; do share.

lomifeh
09-24-2009, 12:53 PM
What made this one so great; do share.

Well besides me loving the name. Well I got the idea when I was looking at one of those fountains with the cherubs pissing into the basin. So I thought what about a fantasy equivalent in my game?

The sign was of a griffin reared back, wings spread, pissing on a knight. It was run by a pair of dwarven twins that were, of course, also ex-adventurers. The story went that the namesake was based on an actual event. In my game griffins were tameable and the twins were at a training grounds where the trainee was trying to mount on a griffon but was not doing so well. He got thrown from it (in his armor) then the griffin proceeded to piss on the knight. As you might imagine, the tavern was in a seedier part of town.

My group ended up making this place their HQ basically as they'd always meet here. It was their "starting point." I ended up expanding the role of the tavern as time went on to the point where one of the pc's became an investor in the place and some of their adventures revolved around the tavern itself. Its role just kind of grew as time went on. The place was blown up, had a demon cross over here, the site of a blizzard, the location of a ritual to banish a godling (in the basement of course), not to mention the tax collector that wanted to shut them down. A lot of fun times in this place. I even had the knight of the story show up once to everyone's surprise since no one actually believed it was true in the game.

nijineko
09-24-2009, 06:12 PM
very nice fleshing out of that one. ^^

i believe there was one called 'the orc and the maiden', though some would flip the order. the sign was never written, it just showed a depiction of an orc getting brained by a pretty young thing with a very large pot. and in one of my most recent campaigns, the tavern was never named at all, just referred to as the nearest one, or the one with everyone standing in front of it, or that one where the priest got stuck down. ^^

Lyranis
09-24-2009, 06:31 PM
How about:

The Vine and Barrel
The Pig Belly
Twin Stars
Down and Out Inn
Break Neck Inn
The Vintage Pub
Pig's Swill Pub
Eat At Joe's!

mnemenoi
10-01-2009, 07:44 PM
The Broken Barrel is one of the dwarven tavern in my stead. The dwarves have a collection of differing ales/stouts that the various clans make. Once a year the Brother's of the Stout Oat, a guild of brewers, holds a contest for the best ale/beer and it gets downright ugly with the various clans spying stealing and killing for the honor of best beer. It was always one of my favorite bizarre adventures with the characters all becoming embroiled in the contest.

Hoitash
10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Bearfest Dwarf style? I like it.

XeroDrift
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Taco Hell
the joint was haunted