PDA

View Full Version : Game Thread: Chapter Two



wizarddog
07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
As night switches to dawn the beraggled thieves make their way back to the guild hall. The group looks smaller than that first set out; their fate is unkown.

Filing into Calloway's office, the theives give their report from all pints of view and the obvious announcement that they failed to get the periapt.

Surprisingly Calloway does not seem upset.

"...though you must learn to work more as a team in the future. If it was not for Giselle, you might have had a even worse fight on your hands. Young Blake must learn to trust his instincts and not fall victim to the plans of the dim. Madoka should not rely solely on her magic; if she would have taken the time to get more information on the son's, she would have discovered they were better trained in combat than they let on. Should her spell fail, they would have cut her down surely."

His mood changes.

"I am very interested in the symbol Hooper found in the ledger."

He reaches from under his desk and pulls out an ornate dagger with a curved blade. The blade is covered in dried blood. Near its hilt is the same symbol etched in.

"This blade was found it one of our thieves just two weeks ago. He manage to make it back to the guild and died shortly afterward, from a wound our healers could not mend."

He leaves the dagger on the table as he continues.

"These things are not coincidences. As you have heard, other guild members have been found dead. I believe we have a rival in our midst."

He begins to pulls several daggers from under his desk. You recognize them as Guild Daggers, given to full members as identification.

"I am now assigning you the task on learning more about this organization. I need you to scower the city keeping a low profile. You may need to use...(glances at Gisselle)...unorthadox methods of obtaining information."

"Since you are all more familiar with than any other in the Guild in this matter, I am authorized to advance you beyond footpads and into full fledged Guild Members. Avoid intimidating the other Guild officers. They don't like me and they will certainly like you even less. You answer directly to me. Do not divulge your mission to anyone outside of this circle."

"Keep these daggers close to you. They are your symbol to other agents of the guild, should you need to identify yourselves."

(DM: Each of you now has a masterwork dagger designed to be a identification of your membership. You may ask Calloway questions before you set off--and you may buy whatever you think you need--no magic.)

Borodeva
07-26-2009, 01:23 AM
"I didn't even get to use my magic," Madoka mutters sourly to herself. "Kobayashi Maru, indeed! Hmmph!" (she slides the closest guild dagger over to her and slips it into a pocket in her cloak)

Madoka will wait to see if anyone asks any questions, then she will mix the following questions into the conversation. If no one else speaks up, she'll just ask each of her questions in a row, waiting for an answer for each.

"So what else do you know about this so-called rival? What other actions have they taken against the guild. Surely you know more than you're telling us."

"Where do you suggest we begin our investigation? Some direction would be helpful as we can't just split up and randomly scour the whole town. You want us to succeed this time, right?"

"Does the guild or the victims in particular have any enemies we should know about?"

"What do you think is the rival's goal in killing off guild thieves?"

"Do you think the rival is a double agent inside the guild, or someone from the outside? And what leads you to believe that?"

Madoka waits for the answers to her questions, then folds her arms, looking annoyed. "Where are the rest of those losers you sent with us?"

wizarddog
07-26-2009, 01:31 PM
"So what else do you know about this so-called rival?"

"They have step up their activity recently, being much bolder in their operations. The rival seems to be able to keep themselves hidden and undetected yet somehow communicate with our former...clients...in ways we cannot intercept."

"What other actions have they taken against the guild."

"Slayings of our collectors, exposing our spies in the other guilds, and disrupting guild operations. It took us recounting the last six months to realize these were systematic attacks on the Guild. I suspect even more in the future, hence the urgency."

“Surely you know more than you're telling us."

Calloway smiles. “I can't divulge all the information I have. Should one of you be caught by them, I can't afford to lose the upper hand should you spill the beans.”

"Where do you suggest we begin our investigation? Some direction would be helpful as we can't just split up and randomly scour the whole town. You want us to succeed this time, right?"

"I suggest you keep a low profile and see if you can discover the meaning of the symbol you found. I'm sure you have some old wizard guild contacts that might be willing to listen to you for the right price. The same goes for any others old haunting grounds. There may be some in the city that know things and can be persuaded to tell. You'll need to try some unorthodox methods; our standard array of Guild tactics have yielded no fruit."

"Does the guild or the victims in particular have any enemies we should know about?"

"No more than a guild thief would normally: City Guard, rival guilds, etc."

"What do you think is the rival's goal in killing off guild thieves?"

"Killing off our Guild members sends a message."

"Do you think the rival is a double agent inside the guild, or someone from the outside? And what leads you to believe that?"

"The rival thinks differently and has other goals than the Guilds. Killing off guild members, even from rival officers, has never been sanctioned in Guild Politics. The group is definitely outside the guild. It seems no matter what the precautions we take, encounters with the rivals have been fatal. There may spies in our midst; which is why none of this conversation is to leave this room. In your investigation, you might be able to find out who our mole is in the Guild."

"Where are the rest of those losers you sent with us?"

"Some of them never came back. Their fate is uncertain. Fortunately, they were never aware of their true mission at Felipe's, so their absence does not concern me. Should they show up, I can bring them up to speed."

"Any other questions?"

CaptainShar
07-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Gisele enters the Thieves' Guild later after dawn, after she's taken her cart out for a couple rounds to catch the early morning shoppers.

(OOC: for game purposes at the moment I'll just assume I'm making enough from selling arrows to pay for my bed and board and my mule; when I'm a better crafter I'm going to want to make money when I sell stuff.)

She enters with her hood fully drawn up and her cart parked a few blocks away, so it would be hard to know who she is unless you'd been tailing her.

She enters Calloway's room.

(OOC: I'm assuming he tells her the same thing he told Madoka.)

"You know I don't like carrying identification," Gisele says, gingerly picking up one of the daggers. "One of these is as good as papers that say Thieves' Guild in big letters at the top. Not that most of the guard can read." She chuckles, a little haughtily, and takes the dagger nonetheless.

As she talks, she winds some string around the grip so it completely hides the symbol.

"And if by unorthodox methods you mean playing wench to the ham-fisted Dmitri, you can count that plan out. He's not really my type. Much too dumb. I'm sure we can all appreciate that here?" Gisele says, glancing at Madoka.

"Something you may want to know. The ninja left arrows at the scene, and the aforementioned alpha male guard is going to come sniffing for him. I doubled round again after leading Dmitri and Christoph away and heard him say that."

She smiles, not mentioning any of her magical participation in the slightest.

"So, who are these lovely people whose skins I saved last night, and what do you do? I'm Gisele and I sell arrows."

Borodeva
07-27-2009, 03:29 AM
"I didn't realize my skin was ever in need of saving," Madoka says dryly with a smirk. "Ayukawa Madoka here. I blast things. Hehehe, fire's COOL! Basically I'm a child prodigy wizard school dropout of dubious moral character, a low tolerance for frustration, and a general lack of manners. Nice to meet you, I guess."

Madoka waits to hear if anyone else is going to ask Calloway any questions, then she takes off saying she'll be out plying her wizardly contacts for info.

[Madoka visits her former master, her old wizard school chums, and the local library to research the symbol we found. She has every knowledge skill so she will use them as necessary.]

Deloren
07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Hooper sits quietly through the meeting with Calloway, listening intently to questions posed by Madoka and occasionally adding a note to a small bound book in front of him.

As Giselle enters, he rises from his chair. "I certainly recognize that voice. You must have been the one keeping that fellow Dimitri busy." He smiles in gratitude. "Very much appreciated." He offers a small bow in her direction. "I'm Tal Hooper."

As Calloway's remarks conclude, he turns to Madoka, Blake, and Giselle. "I'm afraid I won't be too much use in drawing up information... but I'll do my best should a lock or trap get in our way."

CaptainShar
07-27-2009, 01:10 PM
At the word "dropout," Gisele's expression changes subtly for the worse. She gives a weak smile of encouragement to Madoka as the brash mage leaves.

(OOC: maybe I misunderstood... are there two different symbols here? One from the mystery rivals on THEIR dagger, and a different one identifying us as Thieves' Guild members? Or did the rivals simply stick one of us with her own dagger?)

"Ah, thank you, Tal. I trust with one as skilled at finding tricky things as you, this job didn't come up a complete washout?"

Deloren
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
"Indeed." Hooper smiles and turns back a page in his book. "A couple of merchant's goods that we can hock for some gold and about 850 gold in precious stones. We'll get these sold and shares allocated soon." He closes his book and puts it in the satchel at his side.

"Not a bad take for one evening... much better than I made when I was legitimate! Still, maybe next time we can rob a place that isn't the town guard's favorite hang-out."

[OOC: off the cuff, I can't recall if the guild takes a cut of the stuff we grab on the side... I think it's ours free and clear.]

Borodeva
07-27-2009, 09:05 PM
OOC:

From Post #4 in Game Thread 1:

"In addition, I am wavering the guild operation cost on this job. Anything you manage to find for yourselves, you can keep."

Looks like 900 g.p. counting the coins in the money box and the fake gems. We had better fence those gems and fake gems so they can't be traced back to us.

I suggest a 4-way split between Hooper, Gisele, Blake, and myself since we seem to be the only ones posting lately.

That's 225 g.p. each.

We also each get 375 XP since we're not splitting that, that's the award per PC.

That leaves the magnifying glass, the merchant's scale, and an empty coin box. I suggest we keep these as we can probably find a good use for them.

Thoughts?

CaptainShar
07-27-2009, 09:41 PM
"I know! What a rough spot of luck. You'd think they'd time the watch better so that two sets of guards weren't passing by the same place within five minutes of each other. I wonder if our mark paid to have extra watch on his place? Maybe he was warned by our "Rivals." "

Gisele smiles at the gems and odds and ends.

"I can stash what we don't want to use now in my cart. I'm thinking Tal can use that magnifying glass; I've already got a pair of scales but another never hurts."

"Well, I'll talk to my customers. Could be some of our rivals need arrows, never know."

wizarddog
07-27-2009, 11:12 PM
(DM There is a symbol on the curved dagger that matches the one Hooper found in the ledger book. An open palm with an eye in the center. The thieves guild daggers have no symbols, by subtly flashing it, you signify guild membership.)

When Madoka says she dropped out of the wizard academy she was only telling part of the story. She actually was kicked out of the Citadel, an elite elven cadre of wizards and clerics in the heart of the Elven District. The Citadel has a disciplined and rich tradition...which explains why Madoka was kicked out. Her instructor, professor Lysine was also rumored fired from the staff of the Citadel for among other things...teaching Madoka. This also explains why Madoka has been black listed from the Wizards Guild as many high ranking Guild members are Citadel Alumni.

Madoka knows of a tavern, the Emerald Garden, where current and former members gather. Perhaps one of her "old school chums" may be able to "help her"...


Giselle has lots of customers, she needs to decide which ones she wants to casually ask first.

(Action: Others may decide what avenues they wish to take in the investigations. You should be specific and I can relate background information. Those who wish to accompany Madoka are warned by her that the crowd she is about to engage don't like non-elves)

Borodeva
07-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Hehehe. I've got plenty of gold to buy drinks, but I'll try not to be too obvious. I'll stick to my close friends at the Emerald Garden and work outwards from there.

CaptainShar
07-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Well, she'll want to talk to anyone she doesn't know. I'm sure she gets a lot of repeat customers - you know, the boy from the guardhouse, that one thief who thinks her arrows are lucky, etc.

She'll make comments like "Gotta protect against that darn Thieves' Guild" and "heard there was a ruckus at the money-changer's last night, don't want to be caught with your drawers down these days" and other such comments to try and get a reaction out of folks who are particularly against the Thieves' Guild.

wizarddog
07-29-2009, 12:50 AM
As the day continues, the members of the task force begin their investigation.

Madoka makes her way to the Elven district. The gleaming dome of the Citadel shadows the small elven shops and houses around the small winding streets. The Emerald Garden is as it was the last time Madoka visited; a white two story building with a terrace garden at the side. The french doors open and the strange eerie elven harp music gently wavers from within.

Unlike a normal tavern in human and dwarven districts where their is a bar keep; the Emerald Garden has a large fountain with several head of a hydra springing from it. To order a drink, one first throws their money into fountain proper then you simply takes the many goblets in the tavern and requests his/her beverage from the dragon like head. It spews forth the liquid, never missing a drop.

Today the tavern has a good many of patrons. Several traders are seated at the long tables that align the main chamber dressed in the finest of elven made work clothes (For even the lowest of trades is still fashionable compared to other districts). Seated in the garden, a group of six Elven Women are gathered in gossip. Towards the displays of elven weapons, four Centurions are enjoying their drinks while off duty, their bows and swords hanging lazily on the backs of their chairs. At the far end of the tavern, in the "Ruckus room" as the Citadel teachers call it, students and alumni of the Citadel usually meet. Several voices can be heard from it. From where the music comes from is anyones guess.

Giselle makes casual conversation in her meeting of customers, some she has not met in months. She learns that the rank of the City Watch have been increased by over 25% this last year. Speculation is that the Estate of Lord Anthos has contributed a great sum of money to the City Watch's coffers. That explains their increased presence in the merchant district. Most note that the crime rate has also gone down considerably. Business owners report that the theives guild collectors have not shown their faces for six months; to their great relief. Some are glad to hear that they have been showing up dead. "Cleaning up the streets" is what they call it.

(Actions to continue)

Borodeva
07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
(Carry on...)

CaptainShar
07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
To whoever made that comment about cleaning up the streets, Gisele will lean in to say conspiratorially,

"Word on the street is that you can get better protection than the Watch, from the Thieves' Guild, I mean. I swear sometimes I turn around and I'm missing a couple of my best crossbow bolts... know of a way a girl could get in touch with these folks? Of course, they probably don't go in for small operations like mine, but maybe the whole street" - she indicates the other merchant carts set up for the day - "could pool together for a little extra protection."

wizarddog
07-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Giselle leans in on Alexandre Polich, the Tanner. Giselle had been supplying bolts for him for sometime (usually silver tipped as she learned Alexander has a pathological fear of werewolves.) He looks at her with raised eyebrows.

"Pay protection from thieves or from someone else...what would be the difference? It's still extortion. They would have to offer more than just protection."

Madoka ignores the other patrons of the tavern and moves to the "Ruckus Room". Inside she see several individuals in various activities. At a round table, four Citadel students are juggling cups and plates with Mage hand spells. When someone drops a objects, they all cheer as he takes a drink. Then they toss the items up again with the mage hands, continuing the game.

Further on, three Centurions are laughing at a another robe female figure telling a story. She suddenly changes shape into a dwarf and starts a strange dance then changes back into an elf continuing her story. The centurions all laugh.

Three students are firing off blue rays from their fingertips at a target bulls-eye. Their is aim is not very good and icy patchs are left on the wall surrounding the target.

Finally, a group of students are gathered around another table chanting. Madoka is unable to see what they are cheering on.

(More actions)

CaptainShar
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
"Well, I heard," Gisele lowers her voice even more, "that they do offer something more."

wizarddog
07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Alexandre raises is eyebrows and in a hushed tone replies; "I'm listening..."

Borodeva
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Do I recognize any of the students participating in the juggling game or the ray of frost game?

If I recognize anyone, I will approach them and start to chat them up about "what's up" then transition into questions about the unknown symbol.

If I don't recognize anyone, I'll try to casually bump into someone at the juggling table, then see if I can't get invited to join the game. I'll mention I used to be a first-year but I had to quit school to support my family. ;) I'll be sure to buy the first round and then see if I can't get them talking about current events, then later about if anyone knows about the unknown symbol.

OOC: Where is Blake??? Where is Rob for that matter??? Anyone heard from him?

wizarddog
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Madoka does not recognize anyone on the "Dart game" They appear to be lower classmen.

At the table she recognizes two of the four. A Black haired high Elf, Grinlauf and his sister Glenaum. They are twins. Madoka knows them from alchemy classes where they were the top students. The other two, one red haired elf who seems to be the most wasted, and shorter elf with silver hair she has never seen before.

The three Centurions she recognizes quite well, Malham and his goons Regult and Jahl. Malham had always been Madoka's rival in academics and insults. They never got along. Born of one of the wellknown grey elf families, he tende to look down on everyone. He was partly the cause for Madoka's explusion (if you consider the horrible burns Madoka gave him during a spell fight grounds for explusion.)
He seems to have healed and graduated early as he is sporting the centurion uniform. The shape shifting woman is Malham's older sister, Kira. Madoka never really met here but knew she is a junior officer in the Wizards Guild.

From the crowd chanting she can't tell what's going on.

You greet Glenaum.

"Madoka?" she queries with a wide eye. The plate she was juggling comes down and smashes. The group all laugh and stare at you sipping their wine.
Grinlauf looks at you up and down, "I though you got kicked out for toasting Malham?" . The group all laugh again, epecially the red hair elf.

(DM You have to roleplay this my friend...)

CaptainShar
07-31-2009, 04:03 PM
"heard they've got a personal vendetta against the Thieves' Guild. They don't just offer protection, they're looking for blood. So when they're through? No more thieves, not the organized ones, anyway."

Gisele shaves a splinter off one of her twigs.

"So, know someone who might know someone?"

Borodeva
08-01-2009, 12:31 AM
"Glenaum, it IS you," Madoka says excitedly with a genuine smile, hugging her friend. "And Grinlauf, how are you? It's been a while since the, er..., barbeque. Hehehe," Madoka chuckles and looks briefly over at Malham's table, winking.

"Say, I was hoping to find some old chums here. I've been a little behind on my studies and I was wondering if you could help me with a little arcane lore. Whatta you say, up for a challenge?"

[Madoka picks up a plate with her own Mage Hand and tries her hand at juggling. Does she still have it?]

wizarddog
08-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Alexandre snorts. "Blood for blood? That's not good enough. What I do care if rivals are at each others throat. I would need something more than that!"

Madoka joins in in a five man juggling game. Her concentration and dexerity make her a compentant participant.

"I don't know Madoka" begins Grinlauf with a squinted eye."We're not suppose to fratinize with disgraced Citadel members. We could get in trouble."

Glenaum ignores her brother, "What sort of lore?"

Madoka catches Malham and his crowd eyeing her.

CaptainShar
08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
"Guess curiosity won't kill your cat,"

Gisele smiles thinly and lets Alexandre walk away. Perhaps the next conversant won't be so rude or short with the gossip.

Borodeva
08-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Madoka orders another round of drinks for her table, deliberately ignoring Malham's group.

"Well, you see, it's this symbol," Madoka leans in and says to Glenaum softly to avoid eavesdropping.

[Madoka produces a small piece of folded parchment with the symbol drawn on it and slips it into Glenaum's hand when she thinks she's not being watched.]

"It looks familiar like I've seen it before, but I just can't remember. Have you seen it before?"

"If you can help me I'd be glad to return the favor," she whispers into her friend's ear. "Do you know the spell of Scorching Ray?"

[Madoka smiles devilishly]

wizarddog
08-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Glenaum looks at the symbol and frowns.
"Runic symbols have never been my strong suite."

Grinlauf leans over, though trying to be discreet. He rolls his eyes and in a know-it-all-tone says, "It's a sigil."


Malham and his group are in huddled whispering. Another loud roar comes from the crowd.

Grisselle tries to think of what other customers she knows would be a good source. Her customers tend to be small businessmen and agents besides some watch posts and the thieves Guild. Obviously, whoever is slaying the Guild Thief members must be offering more than just protection.

Borodeva
08-03-2009, 02:57 AM
"Interesting. Thanks, Grinlauf! You were always at the top of the class. Do you know what it means, or what it's used for? I thought maybe it was a mage's personal seal, or maybe a family seal."

[Madoka glances over at Malham's table and chuckles to herself]

CaptainShar
08-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Gisele will try with one of her Watch contacts next.

"Heard there's a new criminal element in town,"

wizarddog
08-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Grinlauf gives a look of contempt. "A Sigil is a magical phrase, at least this part of one. Additional sigils produce magical phrases. By itself, it means nothingas a magical inication. With others it can produce effects similar to incantatations.

That symbol could mean anything or nothing at all. But I suspect it's the name of the caster or caster(s) of the string. The eye could represent power or divination. The Hand could represent enchantment or abjuration. Wherever you found it however, I doubt the caster wants to adverstise their intentions."

Malham has seem to have left the Taveren. Madoka missed his exit as she was intrigued by Grinlauf's explanation.


Giselles contact with Watch Quaretermaster Ryan Gould looks up quizzically. "What are you talking about?"

Borodeva
08-03-2009, 04:21 PM
"Impressive. Glad to see that one of us still has their nose in the books." [Madoka winks at Grinlauf and gives a girlish smile]

"Perhaps I could use a bit more studying myself. Has anyone seen Professor Lysine lately? I heard a rumor that he was dismissed from the Citadel. I can't see why, he was absolutely brilliant!"

If Madoka has any leads on finding her old mentor, she will seek him out. If not, she will return to the guild to discuss her findings with the others.

CaptainShar
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
"One that signs their work like this,"

Gisele carves the symbol into a scrap piece of wood.

"I hear the Thieves' Guild is terrified of them, so they must be something bad."

wizarddog
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
The group all look at each other and smirk. The red hair elf points to the direction where the crowd had been gathered. It has cleared off and sitting at table is white hair elf scrapping stacks of gold coins and silver pieces into his hat. It's Professor Lysine, A defeated guild officer sits opposite looking glumly at his wages being scooped up.

"Don't fret, my boy. Not everyone can win at Huzzo all the time. He chuckles. "At least against me!"

Ryan Gould looks at the symbol and frowns. "Never seen it before. To tell you the truth, crime has been down all over the merchant district. Word has it a second gift is being presented to the watch at the dock area. Should be able to increase the watch presence by 25% there as well. Now I can't keep up supplying the new guards. Seems like good business should be coming your way!"

CaptainShar
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
"Oh really? Maybe I'll mosey on down that way and see if I can get some custom from the new recruits,"

says Gisele. She starts to pack up her cart and wind her way down towards the docks.

OOC: looks like I'm coming up dry on the symbol thing, so I may as well spy on our friends the guards for now.

Borodeva
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
"Ah." [Madoka nods] "Well it was good to see you all again. Excuse me, I have some more catching up to do." [she leaves some coins on the table and approaches Lysine quietly from behind]

"Hey old man! You up for another round?," she shouts suddenly and boisterously, clapping him on the back.

wizarddog
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
The old man (as old as elves get) smiles. "Ho ho. The fellow disgraced ex-pupil has decided to show up. And into the lion's den! How ares you Madoka? Haven't you married yet?

As Giselle starts to trot her cart, Ryan shouts back at her. "You know, there is one group that's not doing well right now...the Merchant Guild. At least that's what I heard. See you next month.

Borodeva
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
"Ha! I haven't found a man yet who could handle me! I see you don't miss the lecture halls. How have you been, old friend? Let me buy you a fine glass of elven wine."

[Madoka orders two glasses of wine, then, after listening to his reply,]

"I admit I've still got a lot to learn, and I was wondering if you might help me identify this sigil. I came across it during my adventures, and I am in search of both its meaning, and its maker."

wizarddog
08-05-2009, 12:36 AM
The old elf sips his wine. He glances at the sigil.

"Hmm." He pulls the paper closer. "Definitely a Sigil, though here it is used as identification. I know not who it would belong to. The Eye, a symbol of power...over others or organizations. The hand...meaning involvement with shaping things to come. They (the owner of the sigil) weild a kind of magic called truename or words of creation; phrases that can alter the fabric of the world. With Sigils, they can do so without the utterances we as casters must perform. This makes them more...discrete. Or so I guess. I assume that you found this in your *ahem* new occupation?

Borodeva
08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
"It's not much of a calling, but it pays the bills. Thank you for the information, Master. And I'm sorry about the Citadel. I never meant to make problems for you. I just, well, ...they didn't see what I see."

[she pauses and a slight frown crosses her face]

"I'd like to continue my studies sometime though. How can I find you again? You'll be happy to know that I can cast Scorching Ray most of the time now. I've been practicing."

"Do you have any other advice for me?"

CaptainShar
08-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Gisele will keep talking to Ryan, maybe follow along with him back to where he's going.

"What makes you say that?"

wizarddog
08-05-2009, 11:55 PM
"Alas, Madoka",sighs the Master "I have been banned from using magic in the city. The Citadel and the Wizards Guild have seen fit that I be made an example of. I dare not evoke my usual spells less they send their arcane enforcer upon me. They have reduced to performing parlor tricks to scrape a living. Still..." he jingles the pouch of coins "...I plan on leaving this cesspool of a city. I think will take a ship to the southern islands, well away from the Arcane enforcers jurisdiction. You should keep up your studies. If you continue this investigation, I fear you will be tested sooner than you would like. Truename magic is difficult to master, and any who have master it are deadly opponents. Good luck."

The old wizard gets up from the table and exits towards the garden humming to himself.


Ryan smiles. "Well, that's just it. The Merchant Guild makes it money from dues of merchant licensee and shop keepers. But a slew of them, over the last couple of months have been going out of business or just stop selling. That cuts into the Guilds profits considerably. Just the other day I saw Hawkins Wainwright closed up. When I looked through the boarded windows, I saw his workshop completely emptied. I could have sworn he was running business as usual just a month prior. It is odd. But that's the risk of doing business, right?"

Borodeva
08-06-2009, 12:34 PM
"Red skies, my friend," Madoka calls behind her Master.

[She pays for the drinks and leaves a nice tip for the serving girl, then she heads back to the guild to meet up with the others and tell them what she has learned.]

OOC: Seems we are down to two characters now. Neither Blake nor Hooper has posted for some time. :( Does that mean we can split the loot two ways instead?

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 02:06 AM
As Madoka makes her way down on of the alley, her way becomes blocked by two centurion guards, blades draw. Behind she hears another block her escape. Spinning around she sees Malham. The elf smirks.

"I pegged you smarter than this Madoka. Showing your disgraced presence in this quarter was foolish."

Borodeva
08-07-2009, 04:38 AM
"The only foolish one here is you... that is, unless you like being barbequed! Only a coward needs two thugs just to help him fight a woman!"

[with a haughty laugh, Madoka prepares for combat]

OOC: I'm waiting to see what Malham will try and if I win initiative.

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Malham clearly has the upper hand, but he slowly approach Madoka cracking his knuckles from a mail fist; allowing her to make the first move.

"The Citadel was too soft on you. I shall rectify that."

Borodeva
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
"I'll try not to bore you to death!"

[Madoka 5-steps away from the thugs and makes sure she is more than 5 feet from Malham so as not to provoke, then screeches a Power Word Pain (RoD, p. 116) which will cause him d6 damage per round, no save, for 4d4 rounds unless he has more than 50 HP.]

"Surrender and call off your dogs or your fate is sealed! It is YOU who is soft!"

[and glaring at the guards,]
"Stay back or I let him die!"

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Malham winces in pain from Madoka's obviously broken spell. Were they simple City guards, her threat would be warranted. But as trained in arcane themselves, they know the spell. Malham cast his own spell, a large fist materializes and strikes the min-max Madoka from the side, clobbering her into alley wall. Though daze to almost unconciousness she manages to see Malham dispel the power word stun from him. He pulls her up from the alley wall, suspending her a foot above the cobble alley street. He gets into her face and sneers "When are your going to realize that if your not of the Citdael, you are nothing?"

(DM Take it in stride...;))

CaptainShar
08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
"I suppose it is," Gisele says, frowning. "And the watch doesn't think this is suspicious, this sudden upheaval of merchants? Call me paranoid, but I'd hate to find this symbol carved in somewhere inconspicuous in those dark, empty workshops."

She smiles at Ryan.

"Hey, maybe you could let me take a look at Hawkins' place. I've just got a funny feeling about it. If nothing else, I bet she left scraps of wood lying around that could replenish my stock."

Borodeva
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
OOC: How did I toast this dude in a spell duel before? Lol.

"You can't blame a girl for trying," she gasps. "I give."

[Wait to see what he does next; I can't beat someone who can dispel my magic.]

wizarddog
08-07-2009, 06:49 PM
(Malham's sudden power rise is suspicious....)
As he raises his fist to smack her, a loud "Oi" comes from the alley entrance.

Standing in the alley is the red hair-elf with his fist large and stone-like. Next to him is the shorter elf with a bow draw. Flanked by him is Glenaum with his hands pulsating electricity while Grinlauf, her hand a frosty blue, scowls, "Leave her alone, Malham!"

Malham frowns at this new development and loosens his grip on Madoka.

Ryan shrugs to Giselle. "You know the place. Ain't no one preventing a little scavenging. But I will have no part in that."

Borodeva
08-08-2009, 03:09 AM
"Here comes the cavalry... Looks like we'll have to continue this later."

[Madoka limps over to the safety of her friends]

"Thank you all," she whispers, then slumps against a wall behind the others to regain her strength. "I almost had him."

[She winks and grins feebly, then passes out]

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Time is irreveleant.

Madoka awakens, the surroundings have changed slighly. An empty potion bottle has been removed from her lips. Glenaum smiles, withdrawing the bottle. Her three other companions keep watch and sneer at passerbys who gawk.

"That was some spell. Where did you learn that?"

Borodeva
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
"Independent study," she says with a mischievous look as she sits up. "I showed him mercy and held back my Scorching Ray. I'd be happy to share any of my magic with you all."

"I owe you my life. Thank you again."

"I don't know how much you saw. Malham and his thugs ambushed me and threatened my life just for visiting this district. I figured he was just sore about my bbqing him so I laid off the fire and I thought I'd teach him a lesson."

"BUT, he's much more formidable than I remember. Do you know how this could have happened? His sudden rise in power is suspicious to say the least."

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Glenaum frowns. "It is not just he. His whole family has risen to prestige this last year. Once mediocre wizards, they have some how reach arcane mastery and have taken many prominent seats in the Citadel Board of Governors and the Wizards Guild. Some of the venerable teachers and Lords have been pushed out as well. It is a sad state."

Grinlauf grabs his sister shoulder, "Madoka needs to return to from whence came, sister. Malham is likely to came back with more guard in tow."

The red hair elf grabs Madoka by the arm and pulls her up. He smiles and winks. "I gotta say, there is one thing you have that Malhamm doesn't....balls!

The group laughs and bids farewell to Madoka. She finds the alley empty enough for her to stealthy find a way back to the Guild.

Borodeva
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
"Thank you, my friends. Is there an, er, safer place we might meet up again for a little fun? My Mage Hand is strong! Hehehe."

[wait for answer, then head back to Thieves' Guild and wait for all the others to return, then tell them about the sigil and the rise of Malham's family, leaving out the part where I got my ass handed to me.]

wizarddog
08-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Farewells are given. None know when they will meet again but contact will be possible in the future.

Madoka's return to the Thieves Guild and her report to Calloway intrigues him.

"Hmmm. Interesting. I do have another job for you. I had set up with one of our Guild wizards a silent alarm at one of our Warehouses in the Dock ward. There had been rumors of increase of guard in that area. Sure enough, just an hours ago, it has gone off. It was programmed to only go off if some other than the bravos left to guard the warehouse were to penetrate the interior.

"I need you to go investigate who has infiltrated the warehouse and the fate of bravos. I'm sending you because I don't wish to alert the rest of the Guild of our activities less the mole overhears. If any of the others of the task force arrive back, I will forward them to your location. Any questions?


(DM Madoka receives 500 xp for the previous mission)

Borodeva
08-11-2009, 12:30 AM
"If I see intruders do you want me to try to eliminate them, or do you want me to observe and report back? Are you looking for recon, or decisive action against the intruders?

How long should I wait for backup before returning to the Guild to report?

Which bravos were on duty? How many, and how can I recognize each of them?

OK, Boss. I'm on it!"

L1 spells prepared: Charm Person, Mage Armor, Silent Image

[off to the warehouse and cast Mage Armor as I approach stealthily]

OOC: Woot, I almost leveled!

CaptainShar
08-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Gisele nods at Ryan. Depending on how soon that guard ceremony is, she'll either check out the wainwright's first, or go see the ceremony. If she happens to pass Madoka in any of this, she'll stop and compare notes.

OOC: Hooper, if you're still around, I'd love to have you come help search!

wizarddog
08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
To Madoka:

"Your mission is to discover who infiltrated the Warehouse. You will have to use your own judgment if you have tactical advantage. I would not rely on Guild backup at this time; our goal is to get their quickly and catch whoever tripped the alarm without compromising the task force mission. Your interest is to discover as much as you can about our intruders. There are six Bravos on site, they are armed with maces, short bows, and armored lightly. You can identify yourself to them via your dagger. However, you must not tip them off of your mission. One or more could be lookout for the intruders. You can never tell, in a house of thieves."

To Giselle: The increase of guards has already begun, the announcement is purely for publicity and should be announced in a week. Travelling to the wainwright you see that it is has been bordered up. Peaking through a boarded window you see all the small machinery and tools have been removed. Other machines are covered by a cloth, which must be the heavier lathes to makes the wheels of the wagons. That's all you can see from your position. The sun is starting to set and the nearby carts and shops begin to close for the evening.

Borodeva
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
L1 spells prepared: Charm Person, Mage Armor, Silent Image

[off to the warehouse and cast Mage Armor as I approach stealthily]

CaptainShar
08-12-2009, 03:40 AM
Gisele will move around to the back so as to escape notice from the street and then start prying off enough boards to be able to squeeze into the rooms. If it gets too dark she'll light her lantern.

Once inside, she'll do a full search for the symbol, anything interesting that's been left behind, notes as to why the shop failed, references to the Thieves' Guild, etc.

rob5879
08-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Blake catches up to Madoka in time to investigate the warehouse.

"Backup's here," he says.

wizarddog
08-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Giselle begins a search of the wainwright. It looks like a hasty exit was in order as bits of nails and scraps of wood kitter the floor. The Office is deserted, the desk even gone. She lights her lantern and see the strange large 5' radius circle off to the corner of the empty worskhop. It appears to be the remains of some intricate arcane circle. A silvery residue glistens by her lantern light; aligned with the chalk that was used to draw it. Various runes on the circle have been wipped off by careless footprints. She does not recognize her objective sigil amongst them.

Modaka and Blake make their way through the streets towards the dock ward. The sun is setting and the orange angry eye floats on the horizon sinking into the waters of the bay.

To their surprise, the gates of the dock are closed, earlier than usual and double the guard seem stationed there (a total of 8). The 15 foot walls of the dockward are protected on top by spiked battlements to prevent their breach in evasion.

The Guards seem to be letting people out but not in through the gates.

Borodeva
08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
"Blake, I don't think we can talk our way past. But maybe with a little magic I can convince them. If I can hide out close to the guard station and you can talk to them and distract them, I might be able to convince the Sergeant to let us back in. Just tell them your mistress left a package in her office over in the warehouse. It's too heavy for a young woman so that's why you're here. Maybe you can even get some info on why they're locking things down. If my spell fails, I'll signal you, and if you're not convincing them the old fashioned way by now, then that's your cue to give up and we'll meet up again down the alley one street back. What do you think?

If you convince them or my spell works, I'll approach the gate house to accompany you."

[Madoka grins at her ruse]

DM note: if there's a place to hide within spell range of the guard shack, Madoka will hide there while Blake approaches, then continue the above plan.

rob5879
08-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Blake looks to see if any of the bravos are outside the gate.

"I don't know. There are so many guards, they might just spare one to fetch the nonexistent package for me. I'll try to find out what's going on here first. I can move over and approach from the side, and talk to the guard on the end there. I'll act like I'm just out for a stroll, and I'm curious why the docks are closed up so early. Depending on what I find out, I might think of a legitimate reason I should be allowed in."

Blake stuffs his bow and arrows into his backpack, in case these guards have been notified to be on the lookout for a nosy archer.

Borodeva
08-13-2009, 01:25 PM
"OK, I'll hide off to the side too in case I need to bail you out with my magic."

[Madoka hides off to the side, and if there's nowhere to hide within spell range she'll sneak away from Blake and just pretend she's waiting for her boyfriend to get off of work. I keep my cloak pulled up and don't turn my face directly towards the guards. I also stash my weapons so I can look like a commoner.]

wizarddog
08-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Madoka finds a convenient stack of abandoned empty crates near the gate, unloaded at the nearby tannery shop.

Blake approaches the gate. He notes there are four older guards and four younger looking ones, with boyish faces. Their armor, once the rusted splintmail have been replaced by new shiny breatplates. They still hold their rusted pikes, but long swords are strapped to their sides and crossbows on their backs.

A shabby looking dockworker is stopped trying to enter, he digs in his pocket and pulls out a sheet of parchment. A large guard with a pear like nose looks it over and nods, allowing the worker inside.

The guard looks up and catches the eye of Blake.

"Wha' this then?"



(DM The Warehouse is beyond this gate several docks away)

Borodeva
08-13-2009, 09:18 PM
"Crap, we forgot our passes! Now we get to see Blake do some fast-talkin'! Hehe," Madoka chuckles silently to herself.

[Madoka waits for Blake to carry out his plan, holding ready to use Charm Person on the Sergeant if Blake looks like he's in trouble. If the Sergeant becomes charmed, I will continue will my plan from post #64 above a ways.]

New plan if Blake prefers: If Blake got a good look at the "pass" and it doesn't have a picture on it, we can mug a couple workers around the corner, grab their passes, and try to go in. Since I'm an elf I can claim to have any old weird name I want, even a boy's name. lol. Or maybe with a small bribe, Blake can bring me in as his, er, niece, if you know what I mean.

rob5879
08-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Blake tries to subtly get a look at the document as he addresses the guard.

"Closing the docks a bit early today, aren't you? Did something happen?"

CaptainShar
08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Gisele takes out some of the parchment and ink she usually uses for records and draws out all of the symbols she finds. (I'm presuming they're arcane and not psionic.) They'd be good to show to Madoka.

She'll also pick up the good bits of straight wood she can use in her fletchery.

Having given the place as thorough a search as she is able, she'll head back to the Thieves' Guild to meet up with Carroway and report.

wizarddog
08-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Gisselle returns to the guild and give she report.

Calloway dace turns sour."So, it's not just the Theives Guild that is being targeted here. Nevertheless, our goal is to maintain our dominance and secure our assets. Our guild wizards recognize the circle, it is used in teleporation magic. Something only powerful acrane masters are capable of. From Madoka's information, we must be dealing with agents of some form of arcane power and stealth.

Giselle receives 500xp

A new development has come up, to test my theory. You are to meet up with Madoka and Blake... (and describes the situation at the warehouse)

(DM Giselle will arrive on the scene on her turn next to Madoka)

Madoka waits patiently as Blake begins to question the sergeant.

Blake recognizes the forms as the standard passes given to shipboard sailors and overnight warehouse workers. You usually have to show them at the docks at night. Now it appears, they are not allowing anyone in without one.

"New policy", snorts the large man, and he points to parchment posted amongst several pronouncements, now tattered and worn. It reads:

"Buy order of the Harbor Masters, the dock gates will be closed at sundown. All passes will be checked at the to gate closing. No unauthorized person(s) will be allowed back into the docks in the night without a pass. By order of the Overlords, the penalty for improper paper work will be imprisonment for no less than three days AND a fine of 10 silver coins.

Signed Lord Anthos, Secretary to the Overlord."

Borodeva
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
OOC: Blake, let's go around the corner and mug a couple dock workers and get their passes.

[wait for Rob to agree, then execute Plan B: mug dock workers and get their passes]

CaptainShar
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM
"Maybe Madoka's friends are plotting to overthrow the city. Wouldn't be the first time I've run into power-mad, arcana-happy elves."

When Gisele rattles up next to Madoka, she grins at the elf.

"Nice bruises you got there."

Borodeva
08-16-2009, 12:26 AM
"You should've seen the other guy!," she laughs.

[tells Gisele the two plans, A=charm the Sergeant, B=mug some dock workers and get their permits]

"Where've you been? Got any ideas on how we can get in? That guard over there isn't looking too friendly with Blake. "

rob5879
08-16-2009, 05:40 AM
"What a shame," Blake tells the guard. "I used to enjoy strolling along the docks watching the sunset." He turns back the way he came, and circles around to meet Madoka and Giselle. He explains about the passes, and hears Madoka's plan to mug some workers.

"Before we whip out the blackjacks, we might try bribing some dock workers to obtain passes. If a beat-up worker wakes up, he'll more likely bring us unwanted attention than someone who's reached a friendly agreement with us."

Borodeva
08-16-2009, 01:23 PM
New Plan:

Go to a dive sailor bar near the docks. Find a table of 3-6 sailors. Tell them our BF Blake REALLY likes to walk along the docks in the moonlight. Offer to buy the whole table all night drinks (maybe a few gp worth) if we could "borrow" their passes. We'll bring them back by sunrise.

Let's do it!

wizarddog
08-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Several Options are available to he thieves. They could "borrow" passes from sailors/dockworkers, provided they find ones that they can "persuaded". They may also use their pickpocketing skills to steal off an unobservant sailor. Or they may find another thief willing to create a forgery, though they are at the mercy of the forger.They would need a pass for each of them.

Several nearby areas are known to attract sailors.

The Black Opal Tavern: Has been a long established watering hole for sailors and dock workers. Protected by the Dockworkers Guild it has little love for the Thieves Guild and their kind. But all kinds of characters end up there; including fences and suppliers of illegal merchandise.

Black Cat Alley: A well known hangout of prostitutes, free agents from the House of Red lantern, the legitimate house of ill repute. Many sailors, short of cash for the House of Red Lanterns, choose this as the spot to place their seed. The Alley is known, however, to also be protected by very powerful group of pimps known as the Blade Brothers. They were once allies of the Thieves Guild, but it is unsure where that alliance is now.

Khelmic Jurrs, Boarding House: Those sailors, looking for a taste of home may stop at Madem Jurrs boarding house for a nice bed and meal. Madame Jurr, a widow, is not so much of threat as her patrons, who come from various walks of life and are very protective her, like a mother. The advantage of going there is to get access to the pass from a ship officer and maybe a bit of loot.

Borodeva
08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I say we rent some passes from willing sailors. Pay some gold and be on our way. We need to get down to the mission.

I vote Black Opal Tavern. Lots of sailors there apparently.

If we can't find passes to rent, I bet we could buy some forged ones there.

rob5879
08-16-2009, 04:58 PM
We may have more luck at the Black Cat. It sounds more likely to have sailors in need of cash, who will then be occupied and very happy for a while. There would also probably be less trouble from the guys in charge.

Borodeva
08-16-2009, 05:42 PM
True dat, let's go for Black Cat Alley then. Gisele, what do you think?

CaptainShar
08-16-2009, 05:47 PM
"Word is the Merchant's Guild is getting hit hard, too - by someone who has the ability to teleport. I was at a wainwright's that recently closed under suspicious circumstances,"

she shows her drawing of the runes to Madoka.

"Our chances of finding some man too intent on his nether regions to mind what else is going on is best at the Black Cat, yes," says Gisele with some disdain. You get the sense she still regrets the part she had in last night's adventure. "I'd rather look for someone with a sense of adventure who'd like to help us break dock rules for a small sum. Even better than someone who doesn't care is someone on our side. In other words, a buccaneer."

If they go to the Black Cat, Gisele will look out for a female pirate captain to approach with their plan.

Borodeva
08-16-2009, 07:01 PM
"OK, Black Cat it is, and Gisele can take the lead on finding us some help. Let's go!"

CaptainShar
08-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Gisele drives her cart up to the Black Cat's stables and tells the stable-boy, "If there's any funny business going on in my cart when I get back, it'll be the worse for you."

She folds her hood up over her head, allowing just a flash of her rich garments to show when she walks, so as to look rich and extra-mysterious, and enters the Black Cat Inn.

Borodeva
08-17-2009, 02:52 AM
Madoka follows Gisele into the Black Cat, also with her hood up. Madoka takes a seat at the bar where she can clearly watch Gisele in case there's trouble.

"Whiskey straight, barkeep."

wizarddog
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
(DM There is no Black Cat Inn. It's an alley where Prostitutes hang out. They do their business in the streets. We talking cheap here. You may revise your plan if this is not what you had in mind. Giselle manages to find a stable, though she hopes her threat will be sufice in protecting her assets.)

Black cat Alley is a long stretch of street squeezed next to the Port wall and the various tenet houses lined along it. The smell of urine and perfume stirs from the trapped gutter water that litter it broaken cobbled street. Torn paper lanterns, probably stolen from the Red Lantern House, light the alley in asahdowy red hue.

Located against the wall are several women dressed in a mockery of regal fashion, who strut their bodies to the passing sailors and other citizens observing the merchandise. The woman range in various age and wear caked makeup that is smeared on their faces. Amongst the crowd, a large bald men carrying a large club patrols the alleyway, is shouting in strange language at the woman who jeers back.

Further along the way, a similar man beats a would be client senseless, steals his boots, and two others throw him into the adjoining street. The Man sits down and starts trying on the boots.

Further even more is small makeshift tabled made from bricks and an old door. A small man sits behind it examining shiny objects while a line of men await their turn.

Borodeva
08-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Hit up some sailors then towards the back of the line. Try to rent 3 passes for 1 day. Looks like they need money or valuables to pay for services.

I tuck my cloak behind my sword and dagger so it's obvious that I'm armed.

CaptainShar
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Towards the back of the line, Gisele approaches one of the sailors:

"Not planning to spend the night aboard ship, I see,"

she says.

wizarddog
08-18-2009, 04:26 AM
Before the sailor can turn and respond to Giselle, a harlot against the wall shouts at Madoka:

"Oi! Wha'cha think your doin' hangn' round me pitch!"

The woman is dressed in macrbe of a kimodo, torn stockings, buckle shoes, and a large brass pin in her hair. Her face is caked in white makeup and the perfume she wears does little to hide her smell.

She shoves Madoka. (Apparently, she does not realize Giselle was a woman, being so tall.)

The patrons and other harlots all turn toward the ruckus. The bald tattooed men look up and in your direction. Even the little man at the table glances from his monocle.

Borodeva
08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
"I'm here on business, bi*ch!," Madoka scowls back in disgust. "For Aarth's sake, take a bath!"

[Madoka throws a handful of copper coins in her face]

[Madoka slides her guild dagger halfway out of its sheath, hiding the symbol with her hand for the moment. If anyone approaches her, she will move her hand aside and show the symbol to them, whispering "We have business with the Blade Brothers."]


OOC: Now that Hooper is back and we have 4 posters again, I'll assume that this is what we did before:

From Post #4 in Game Thread 1:

"In addition, I am wavering the guild operation cost on this job. Anything you manage to find for yourselves, you can keep."

Looks like 900 g.p. counting the coins in the money box and the fake gems. We had better fence those gems and fake gems so they can't be traced back to us.

I suggest a 4-way split between Hooper, Gisele, Blake, and myself since we seem to be the only ones posting lately.

That's 225 g.p. each.

We also each get 375 XP since we're not splitting that, that's the award per PC.

That leaves the magnifying glass, the merchant's scale, and an empty coin box. I suggest we keep these as we can probably find a good use for them.

wizarddog
08-19-2009, 05:38 AM
The harlot is infuriated by being pelted by the coins (Madoka not being very intimidating) and she draws a dagger of her own, quicker than Madoka has ever seen.
"I'll stick ya like a pig, slut!"

Before either of the women can act, however, one of the bald men runs down the alley, he transforms into a large black panther and leaps over the crowd of lined up sailors and Giselle and lands hissing between the two women.

The sailor next to Giselle is smiling and watching the two woman flanking the large cat. He looks up at Giselle: "Now that's wot I call catfight!"

The second bald man walks casually towards them, his eyes glowing red.
"No one does business in this alley but the Blade Brothers!"

The thirds continues to observe his new boots, unconcerned with the events that have transpired.

Borodeva
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
[Madoka turns toward the bald man with the red eyes and slides her hand off her half-drawn dagger, revealing the Thieves' Guild symbol.]

"Excellent, then we've found you. Let's get down to business. There's money to be made. [Madoka smiles slyly.] Is there someone more private we can talk?"

OOC: So far we've got mage college students with 3rd-level spells, hos with quick draw, and were-pimps! I feel very underpowered here!

wizarddog
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
(DM: Not saying everything is going to be cakewalk-esp from a 1st level PC sporting 2nd level spells... but if you'd stick your head into a PHB 2 once and a while you will realize: dispellingtouch is 2nd level, 1st Druids can have a shapechange, and maybe that whore, who lives in a tough crowd, is a 1st level warrior. OR they could all be 5th level-it could be either---just know that combat where you are outnumbered is never a good idea.)

The entire line at the table is now staring at the scene. The salior next to Giselle gulps.

The man approaches Madoka, he stands nearly as tall as Giselle. He beams down at Madoka. The panther paces back and forth hissing. The harlot, withdraws into the shadows, apparently their arrival has removed any bravery she might had displayed ealier.

Upon seeing the dagger symbol his expression changes to disgust. He spits on the ground and speaks in thick accent between common and infernal. His eyes burns intensely.

"As stated before, the Blade Brothers need not thieves guild protection. Business is over."

Borodeva
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
"I'm not talking about YOU paying US money, you dolt! I'm talking about US paying YOU money! But if you're not interested, we'll be on our way..."

[Madoka slowly turns to leave, watching her enemies carefully]

"I'm not looking for a fight, but if you are, you should realize I'm not as outnumbered as I appear."

[gives the hoot owl signal used to alert her guildmates at the end of the alley]

CaptainShar
08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Gisele taps Madoka quietly on the shoulder and indicates they should leave. As she passes her original sailor from the back of the line, she says in a soft voice,

"We just want to rent some dock passes for the evening."

And she nods her head in the direction that she and Madoka are going to indicate he can join up with them.

[If they're not stopped...]

When they get out of earshot of the alley, Gisele stares into Madoka's eyes.

"Calm. Down."

wizarddog
08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
The panther and the fiery red eye man watch Madoka leave the alley.
After Giselle's scolding of Madoka at the alley entrance, the sailor catches up to her.
"How much and for how long?"

Borodeva
08-21-2009, 01:43 AM
"We need 4 dock passes, real ones, for the evening. Two men and two women. How does 50 silver pieces per pass sound?"

[Prepare to inspect the passes he brings to make sure they don't have pictures and that each of us match a description on one of the passes]

wizarddog
08-21-2009, 02:06 AM
The sailor, now realizing that Madoka is with Giselle:

"Y-Yer with the thieves Guild?!"

He goes quite white.

Borodeva
08-21-2009, 02:49 AM
"I don't bite! Well... sometimes. But my silver's good. And I don't have any beef with you... yet."

[jingles her pouch full of coins and tries to smile pleasantly]

"And what's wrong with the Thieves' Guild? A girl's gotta earn a living, right? If you can tell us some useful information about why everyone hates the Thieves' Guild all of the sudden, I'd be glad to pay you even more silver. Pleeeeease?"

[makes a kissy face and winks at the sailor]

CaptainShar
08-21-2009, 03:11 AM
"Who we're with is our own business. Now, would you like to rent us some dock passes to pay for your doxy, or shall we take our silver elsewhere?"

wizarddog
08-21-2009, 03:41 AM
The sailor keeps his focus on Gisele.
"S-sure. Y-You said you needed four. I think I can try and find you others willing ....but I can't guarantee it. How soon do you need?"
He looks hesitantly back at the alley where the panther is eyeing all of you from a distance.

Borodeva
08-21-2009, 03:48 AM
"Tell you what, how about we buy you and your friends a round of drinks? Do you know a spot where the blokes are a little friendlier?"

CaptainShar
08-22-2009, 12:20 AM
"Sometime before midnight would be good. But I'm sure we can find some more of your friends before then, eh?"

Gisele smiles at him and starts walking them away from the alley with the panther. She's not trying to scare the guy.

wizarddog
08-22-2009, 02:51 AM
"Right, I will see you in a half-hour. The Black Opal Tavern."

The sailor gives an uneasy look at Madoka and walks back into the alley. The panther does not take it's eyes off you.

(DM: People are afraid of the thieves guild because they are like the Mafia. I'm sure if the Mafia came to your Car Lot and wanted to "rent" some of your cars, you'd be more than a little apprehensive.");)

CaptainShar
08-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Gisele walks the group out of earshot of the panther. "So, we've got a half-hour. I hope he doesn't plan on trying anything funny," Gisele yawns.

"I say Hooper or Blake goes to meet him. If he shows up with a bunch of guards to identify us, that would be unpleasant. But our resident locksmith and ninja are two unassuming, upstanding fellas."

Borodeva
08-22-2009, 10:00 PM
"I agree with Gisele. You two are pretty low-key. Why don't you meet with the sailors? I think we can afford 5 g.p., or maybe even 10 g.p. per pass. Make sure the passes don't have portraits on them, and if they have physical descriptions on them, make sure you get ones that match us.

Whatever you do, DON'T tell them you're with the Thieves' Guild! I don't think they liked me much. Gisele and I will find a table in the corner and keep an eye on you in case there's any trouble. Interlock your fingers behind your head if you need help. That's the signal, OK? If we get separated for any reason, let's meet up again down the alley from the docks gate (where we all met up before), OK?"

[Madoka waits for Blake and Hooper to agree, then raises her hood and goes with Gisele to find a corner table at the Black Opal where they can keep an eye on their two guildmates.]

CaptainShar
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Gisele to Madoka, at the table:

"So, where does your magic come from? Is it a sort of a fire that lives in elven blood?"

Borodeva
08-23-2009, 06:30 PM
"No, no, it's not an elven thing. I studied arcane magic at the university for years. But of all the professors, there was only Master Lysine who really understood me. He taught me to use my inner fire, my spark of life. There are some at the university who said that he was reckless in teaching me. That he taught me great power that I didn't have the wisdom to understand. I just don't know..." [She trails off and looks away wistfully.]

OOC: Meanwhile, what happens with the passes???

wizarddog
08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
(DM Giselle, being a merchant, knows that it's probably not a good idea to have Hooper and Blake do the transaction given that the sailor made his agreement with her. After all, she made the deal and it was with her diplomacy that made the deal happen. You can continue with your plan or change it as you see fit aware of that fact.)

The Black Opal Tavern is considered the best if not notorious tavern near the docks. The watering hole of most of arriving sailors, it is protected by the dockworkers union who successfully fought off thieves guild control nearly 20 years ago. The tavern itself, despite its popularity is of no better quality than any lower class pub.

As the thieves enter (staggered or together) they are assaulted by the small of fish and the sea. The decor of the tavern is of fishing tools, weapons and nets. The Bar at the far ends is crowded with sailors and dock workers chatting loudly and in many different languages. In the main room are several worn square tables populated by various patrons of the sea and docks. Most are human, but the occasional dwarf, halfling, and half-orc are huddled together in deep conversation or hardy drinking. A stairway leads up to a second landing where more tables and patrons are gathered. Serving wenches make their way weaving through the tables and crowds with large tray filled with tankards and bottles.

You might find tables up above or take the table in the far corner currently being vacated by a group of sailors. Sitting on window sill, away from most of the rowdy sailors is a thin man playing a flute that fills the tavren with music, but drowned out mostly by the crowd noise.

Right at the entrance is a large burly man sitting in a chair, a large club leans on the side. He peers at you out the corner of his eye, but nothing else.

Borodeva
08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm ok with Gisele meeting with the sailors if she is. I'll try to sit away from the rowdy sailors with Blake and Hooper (but in sight of Gisele), leaving the corner table in the "sailor area" for Gisele and her new friends.

CaptainShar
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
(All right.)

Gisele will take a seat at the table the sailors have just left, hood up as usual, and order a drink so as not to look out of place. She doesn't pay much attention to what she orders as long as it's not too expensive.

wizarddog
08-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Giselle seats herself. Madoka, Blake, and Hooper climb the stairs to the 2nd level and observe her from below from an empty table.

As Gisele is served her drink the man with the flute approaches her table. Unlike the rest of the sailors he is dressed in sea traveling clothes but finer quality. He still hold the wooden flute and eyes Giselle intently but in friendly manner.

"Your a Kalashtar, am I correct?" He asks in his soft articulate voice.

As Madoka watches below a man arrives at the adjacent table with several flagons for his two mates.

"Okay, I was saying, Stan Johnson (who I have not seen in some time, mind yah) asks me at the docks of Postmouth "You shipping out on the seawolf on the morrow? I says, "yes". Then he says, "Don't." I says, "How am I to get back to the city and make a living?" Then he tosses me a pouch of crowns and says, "I'd find other passage, trust me!". It be more than triple what I could have earn on the seawolf..." He takes a drink.

Borodeva
08-25-2009, 01:31 AM
I listen intently to the "Stan Johnson" convo while watching the flute man and Gisele. [active listen to make sure I don't miss anything]

What else happens?

CaptainShar
08-25-2009, 02:00 AM
(OOC: Please spell my character's name with one "L" , not two. Thanks.)

"Yes. Is that of import to you?"

wizarddog
08-25-2009, 04:01 PM
...The old sailor continues.

"So I'm thinking, as I took passage on the Dogstar, since when had Stan Johnson been so rich? He was always a lousy seaman. Anyway, I arrive in the city, not more than a week and get this... the Seawolf never made it the city from Portsmouth. Lost at sea...!"

The others sailors murmur and they drink in silence.

The flute man slides into the seat adjacent to Gisellle.

"Actually, I'm chronicling all the types of races the city has had visited for the last five years. Your the second Kalashtar I've met. You just won't believe the different races that have at one time or another have made their way through this very bar. It's quite extraordinary!"

A barmaid lays a tankard next to the man as he continue talking.

"I am Remus, Remus Rengualt, Musician and Scholar. And yours....?"

He puts the tankard to his mouth and his eyes are wide behind it's lip in anticipation.

Borodeva
08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
and then?

CaptainShar
08-25-2009, 09:54 PM
"I am Gisele,"

Gisele answers.

"Gisele, fletcher of fine arrows and crossbow bolts. Was heading down to the docks this evening on business and got stopped for a pass! These days you can't shake a stick without having a piece of paper for it. So I wandered in here instead; figured this was the next best place for meeting up with sailors. Need to figure out where they're getting the passes so I don't have to stay off the docks forever. Sailors aren't quite as needful of arrows as the Watch, but I make a nice penny or two whenever my cart takes me seaward."

wizarddog
08-26-2009, 01:49 AM
"Well, Jisele, If you need a pass, you should go to the Harbormaster's office and present your merchant credentials. I mean, that's what the office is for. Not that I know anything about merchants, I'm a scholar myself. Oh look..."

He points to a group of halflings siiting at a table, one with a whole tankard on his head.

"...that fellow there is stout!"

The group of sailors near Madoka break the silence.

"M'wife wants a pearl necklace. Like clams are just going to jump in m'boat and open up!"

The men all laugh.

Borodeva
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
and then?

CaptainShar
08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
She chuckles at the halflings.

"Play me something?"

wizarddog
08-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Remus puts his flute to his lips. An eerily and beautiful sound waifs into the tavern. As he plays the sounds of the crowd begin to murmur down, enchanted by the music. All eyes are now on the cloaked woman and the performer at the table. Even the three men adjacent to Madoka are silent and crane their necks to the performance below.

Madoka notices the sailor of promise has entered the tavern, but he is alone. He watches the performance at the doorway. The large burly guard is blurry eyed in his chair, almost asleep.

Borodeva
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I try to resist the lure of the music, keeping alert and particularly watching the other occupants for any stealing, or other funny business.

[+2 bonus to save vs. enchantment]

What happens after the song? Does the pass sailor approach Gisele?

wizarddog
08-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Madoka finds their is nothing magical about the music, the performer simply is well gifted. The performance last only two minutes but the audience is quit through it's cycle.

Once he finishes, he sits back down at the table and smiles at Gisele. The sounds of the tavern patrons begins to creep back up, though somewhat subdued.

The sailor below stands at the doorway watching Gisele and Remus, hesitant.

Sailors begin to talk again "Now...what was I talking about?"

Borodeva
08-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Hopefully the flute man leaves Gisele alone now so the pass sailor can approach her. I'll shift my glance between Gisele and the pass sailor, observing until I see some sort of action on either's part.

CaptainShar
08-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Gisele smiles at the bard and thanks him for the song.

Gisele looks at the sailor they'd been speaking with earlier, trying to catch his eye, and motions him to the table.

wizarddog
08-28-2009, 03:28 PM
The sailor approaches and remains standing next to Gisele, the bard eyes him with bright eyes.

"Er, the sailor begins whispering to Gisele, "I couldn't convince the others to lend me their passes. Our deal still good with me though, right?"

Remus points to the sailor and mouths silently, "Human, native of Portsmouth!"

CaptainShar
08-29-2009, 02:30 AM
"Yes," Gisele says, and inspects the pass. If it's genuine, she hands over the money, making a mental note to get refunded by the guild. "Thank you."

wizarddog
08-29-2009, 02:54 PM
The pass has the official seal of the Harbor Master. During your transaction, Remus raises his eye brows but remains silent.

"I won't be needing it," begins the sailor as he pockets the money, "I decide not to re-board ship. My ship was the Emerald Eel, if that matters. Farewell." The sailor turns on his heels and exits the tavern.

Remus rises from the table, "It appears you got your wish." As is about to leave he stops "Incidentally...," he gestures to the watchful figure of Madoka, "...Grey Elf" and walks into the crowd towards the bar.

(The thieves have procured one pass)

CaptainShar
08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
OOC: Whoa there, I didn't think Remus was still at the table! Can we back up a moment? If the sailor was stupid enough to bring up the subject of the passes right under the nose of the tavern bard, I would have responded with something like,

"Thanks so much for finding out for me where to get the passes. Remus here was just telling me to get them at the Harbormaster's office, but perhaps you'd be good enough to point out the building on your way back to the docks?"

And try to wink at him to indicate the deal is still on, if Remus isn't scrutinizing them.

wizarddog
08-30-2009, 06:45 AM
(DM: The consequences are negligible. It will depend if you want to maintain a cordial relationship with Remus; who seems to be bugging you or cut the relationship now since he knows your a shady character. Eventually, you will come to the crossroad with him on him discovering your true colors. I'll let you decide. If you state your PC wishes to keep that relationship you are outside, if you wish to have the relationship end, you are still inside)

The Tavern continues its loud conversations. The sailor has left. You have one pass. Remus has disappeared into the crowd.

(actions)

CaptainShar
08-30-2009, 06:12 PM
"So. We need more passes unless everyone just wants to hide in my cart. Not sure how stiff inspections are."

Gisele looks at the description on the pass. "Probably best if Hooper takes this one."

(OOC: of course I'd prefer to be outside.)

wizarddog
09-01-2009, 12:47 AM
A pass is given to Hooper. The thieves now contemplate their next step.

wizarddog
09-02-2009, 01:00 AM
(DM: Time is of the essence. The more the thieves delay their destination, the more likely who or what has infiltrated the warehouse will have departed, hindering their chance to surprise the infiltrators.)

CaptainShar
09-02-2009, 02:34 AM
(OOC: I can't very well proceed if no one else is posting.)

Borodeva
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
OOC: Revised character sheets are up in the Guild Roster section.

[Madoka invites the group down a secluded alley where they won't be observed. She then takes the pass from Hooper and scrutinizes it carefully.]

"Ah, this ink should bleach out nicely. A couple little corrections, and poof it's for Gisele!" [Madoka winks and chuckles]

[Madoka uses her forgery kit and forgery skill to doctor up the real pass so it has identification information for Gisele. Forgery check = +10. Since we have a real pass to work from, we should have a substantial bonus. :)]

PHB, pg. 74:
"To forge a document on which the handwriting is not specific to a person (military orders, a government decree, a business ledger, or the like), you need only to have seen a similar document before, and you gain a +8 bonus on your check. To forge a signature, you need an autograph of that person to copy, and you gain a +4 bonus on the check."

"When I'm done with this pass, we can hide in Gisele's wagon while she drives us through the gate. I'll use my Silent Image to make the wagon appear empty. If the guards merely glance inside they shouldn't see through the illusion. Unless they get in or start prodding around... in which case we may have to make a break for it! Hehehe."

wizarddog
09-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Madoka alters the pass, though she found the specifics on it regarded the ship the sailor was on and not about a merchant. Thinking on what that might be in this case, she alters the form accordingly, hoping the logistics are not noticeable to the guard(s).

Though the plan so far is logical and clever, Gisele begins to rethink taking her cart in; a merchant entering the port district at nightfall is suspicious. But she might be able to convince the guard to ignore the inconsistencies.

Time begins to tick on and the theives must make a decision.

(DM Any player can post character thoughts and ideas in the Game forum, it does not serve you well to remain silent.)

CaptainShar
09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Gisele takes the pass, puts her hood up but not particularly overshadowing her face, and gets up on the cart. She tucks her blankets, baskets, and barrels over her passengers.

She makes sure they have plenty of time to get situated and then starts urging her mule forward to the pass point.

Borodeva
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Madoka uses her camo paint and takes 10 on her Hide (Hide mod of +11), then also casts a Silent Image of an empty cart with no passengers in back, only typical merchant goods sparsely arranged and easy to see in between. ;)

Hopefully the guard will have to succeed on a Will save (DC16 vs. my illusion) AND also beat our Hide checks to see us.

And he shouldn't get a save unless he actually interacts with the illusion, i.e., gets into the cart or physically pokes and prods it.

[taps the wagon to let Gisele know to proceed.]

What happens when we reach the guard house?

wizarddog
09-02-2009, 08:36 PM
An hour past since you were first assigned to investigate, Gisel's wagon arrives at the port gate, with the thieves hidden in the back. She see the gate still being watched by the six gurads. Lanterns now light gatehouse and the moon shines through clouds and mist. The portly guard stops her from the gate.

"What's all this then?"

Borodeva
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
and then?

rob5879
09-02-2009, 10:45 PM
In the back of the wagon, Blake remains still and silent. Something he's been getting lots of practice at lately.

CaptainShar
09-02-2009, 11:52 PM
"Makin' my rounds, same as usual,"

says Gisele.

"I like it better at night - the sailors are still up of course but there's less hustle and bustle and trying to avoid the winches and barrels all over the place. I've got one of those new passes too, such a bother to get anywhere in the city nowadays,"

she grumbles.

"Makes twice as much work for you too I reckon," and she indicates the pass sitting next to her on the seat of the cart.

wizarddog
09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
"I don't remember seeing you here before..." begins the guard. Two others circle the wagon with lanterns. The others watch as the light of the lanterns creep through the wagon boards.

He glances at the pass but his eyes are on Gisele.

"What business are you in again?"

Borodeva
09-03-2009, 01:46 PM
OOC:

Options?


Gisele talks her way in
We try to jump the guards
We turn back

Any other ideas?

I vote for Gisele to keep talking. Seems like he's already made up his mind about the pass, so stick to near-truths that aren't really bluffs.

wizarddog
09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
(DM Just to remind you, their are six armored guards at the gate; 3 veterans, and 3 rookies).

CaptainShar
09-03-2009, 09:02 PM
"I sell arrows and bolts and bits of wood and what-not," says Gisele.

wizarddog
09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
The guard with a lantern opens the back of Gisele's wagon and flashes the light inside. Blake and Hooper watch as Madoka starts to cringe and sweat pours down her face. The guard flashes the lantern only for a few minutes then removes the light. Gisele see him nod to the guard addressing her.

(DM Just so you know, I consider light as being interacting with figments, especially silent image. A 1st level spell cannot be as powerful as a higher level spell similar or duplicating power (i.e. invisability). In this case, because Madoka is concentrating on the spell, the will save (of the guard) is need for her to maintain the illusion while the environment changes around her. In this case, the guard failed. The higher level the figmnet, the more powerful it is.)

"Right. Looks in order. But I warn you miss. There are no taverns or stables inn the port. We have extra guards on patrol... but just to be safe, stay away from the ships at port. There have been incidents of press gangs operating."

With a nod, the gates open and Gisele wagon is allowed through.

Borodeva
09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
OOC: Woot! Sounds reasonable about the light interacting with the Silent Image. That's what Spell Focus and 18 INT is for. ;)

Let's head for the warehouse then. If we can get out of sight of the guards and around a corner, Madoka will peek out of the wagon stealthily and help Gisele watch for danger. [active spot +1]

Madoka will wait until they are within a block of the warehouse, then cast Mage Armor on herself.

What do we see as we travel towards the warehouse?

CaptainShar
09-05-2009, 02:43 AM
Gisele's nonchalant smile becomes a teeny bit less forced as they wave her through. She clucks her mule around the corner as quickly as is reasonable.

wizarddog
09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
The moon's reflection on the bay is eerie and the mist of the night fills the dock area with a fog. Lanterns glow intermittently on the dock ward, mostly at the port area of the anchored ships which creak and groan with the slosh of the water. The macrame of rigging of inky shadowy ships melds with the moonlight. Far in the distance one makes out one of the magical lighthouses near the crags, guiding ships that make their through the bay.

The wagon moves for about 500 feet towards the Guild Warehouse, passing a patrol of two guards with lanterns. They seemed uninterested in the wagon and allow it to pass.

With about 1000 feet to go the thieves decide on strategy: If they continue with the wagon forwards the Warehouse, they guarantee their cover from the watch (besides Gisele). However, the wagons wheels clambering on the dock area would alert of their approach to anywhere. This all depends on how they want to approach the warehouse, knowing their objectives.

Borodeva
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
"Psst... [Madoka whispers] I say we turn down the nearest alley or behind the nearest cover, then hop out of the wagon and sneak up to the warehouse. The wagon is too noisy. We have to catch the intruders in the act so we can find out more about them. We also have to investigate the fate of the Guild bravos who were supposed to be guarding the warehouse. Some of them could even be in on the break-in. Stealth and surprise are our allies here. Any objections?"

CaptainShar
09-06-2009, 12:01 AM
"Works for me. I'll hang back a bit while you and the ninja sneak in; give a yelp if you want backup."

Gisele turns down a side alley.

Borodeva
09-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Quietly jump out of the wagon once we are around a corner and no one is looking.

[turns to Gisele]
"Oh, and the help signal is a hoot owl. If you hear it, come running!"
[chuckles and winks]

"Come on, Blake!" [pulls the ninja along]

Cast Mage Armor (AC now 17).

Then Hide and Move Silently (+11 Hide and +11 Move Silently) up to the warehouse and take a look around.

What do I see?

CaptainShar
09-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Gisele will follow as quietly as possible, about sixty feet behind Madoka and Blake.

wizarddog
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
The group moves through the shadows of the docks towards the warehouse.

At last they emerge from an adjacent warehouse and find the Guild's. It looks to be 20 feet high made of wood. 15 fete above are a series of windows, probably to provide light during the day. One of them appears to be broken allowing passage to one if they wanted to risk it.

A large set of double doors are at the entrance facing the wharf. At the entrance a lamp burns from a hook. A figure dressed in leather armor is stationed under the lantern. A large axe is leaning against the wall adjacent to him. He does little in the way of movement. You know that there should probably another smaller door on the other side of the warehouse.

Borodeva
09-08-2009, 03:51 PM
OOC: What weapons does the guy outside have on him? Any sign of a mace, a short bow, or a guild dagger? Cuz that's what these bravos were supposed to have.

wizarddog
09-08-2009, 08:58 PM
(DM: That would require you getting closer...Currently, you are about 60 feet away hidden well in shadow and adjacent building. But from what you can tell, you see no evidence of shortbow and mace.)


(Incidently, another reason for other players to post more often is that I can't reward XP if you are not participating.)

Borodeva
09-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I motion to Blake and Gisele that I am going to circle around behind the warehouse.

Sticking to the shadows and cover, I will approach the wharf side and take a better look at the axe-dude, then stealthily circle around back to the small door, peeking around the corner to see if anyone is back there.

[Hide and Move Silently, both +11]

What happens?

CaptainShar
09-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Gisele will continue to stay back until her presence is needed.

wizarddog
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
A quick glance at the standing guard shows he seems to have no other weapons, but see nothing of you. If fact, he doesn't seem to move much at all.

Madoka continues through the side of the warehouse and sees a large trail of blood, as if something being dragged along the ground go around the corner to the back of the warehouse. Madoka peeks around and see the door as mentioned. The blood trail leads directly through it.

Gisele and Blake watch as the guard picks up his axe and turns the corner following Madoka. What the hell...?

(actions Gisel and Blake are 60 feet away from the guard...Madoka is a good 90 feet around the corner.)

rob5879
09-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Blake quickly moves 30 feet closer, staying hidden. He pulls out his bow and makes a hooting sound, hoping to alert Madoka to the possible danger.

Borodeva
09-09-2009, 05:52 PM
OOC: Do I hear the hoot owl signal?

If I hear I will respond with a pigeon sound that's i'm ok, then hide down an alley, but not right by the warehouse.

If I don't hear, I will keep sneaking around to the small door with the blood trail leading up it to see if I can see inside through a crack, and to see if there is a lock on the back door.

I also check the blood to see if it is dry or fresh.

wizarddog
09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
The hoot sound warns Madoka. She ducks into the shadows just as the figure walks through towards her...unchanging in approaching her. Through a dark patch of shadow the form begins to change, it rises a good 7 feet high, furry muscles burst from it's armor, the face distorts into a large whiskered snout, and a long and stringy tail drags behind it. It clutches the large axe in both hands.

It's eye turn a nasty red glow and it snarls "Now where did my little my sweet go?" and begins to sniff.

Hooper is 30ft away from the creature with bow draw.

The Blood on the ground is fresh.

(actions)

CaptainShar
09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Gisele moves 40 ft. forward (double move) to see if she can see around the corner. She'll keep an eye out for any others.

Borodeva
09-11-2009, 01:43 AM
Before we enter combat, I will cast Hypnotism on the creature. If we are not yet in combat, it gets a -2 on its save. Will save DC 16, then add a -2 penalty onto that.

If it fails its save, I can make one reasonable request of it, and its attitude counts as two steps more favorable than normal towards me. I will ask it in Common to please put down its weapon and talk with me.

If I don't Hypnotize it, I will run if it approaches me or keep hidden and pray my homies have my back if it continues looking for me.

rob5879
09-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Blake aims his bow at the creature and prepares to fire if Madoka gets attacked.

wizarddog
09-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Madoka begins to cast her spell (Taking 1 round).

Blake delays to see if the creature attacks. It moves forward to Madoka and begins to take a swing. Blake releases his arrow, it strikes right into the neck of the creature, but it doesn't even react to it. It brings down it's axe on Madoka but rather the blade, it uses the flat of the axe.

"I wish to eat your pretty face, my sweet" it hisses. The axe flat is a clumsy attack however and misses Madoka barely as it slams into the warehouse wall.

Gisele makes it to the corner and see the creature has an arrow stuck in it and Madoka finishing a spell. She is now 50 feet from the creature, and only 20 from Blake (people are moving around).

The spell begins and the creature seems unaffected by it. What would surely have been affected by a normal man, this creature posses a strong will.

(actions--you might notice the iniative count)

Borodeva
09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Knowledge check to identify this monster, to figure out why it didn't even react to an arrow in the neck, and to figure out what might hurt it. (Arcana +5, Local +5)

If I know anything, I tell Blake and Gisele.

(I believe I'm on the top initiative count)

Madoka
Blake
Creature
Gisele

5-step away and hit it with Color Spray. Will DC16.

If it works, I signal for everyone to pound on the creature while it's messed up. Otherwise I prepare to get beat down. Lol.

CaptainShar
09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Gisele will hustle up to be within 20 ft. of the hairy guard. (double move again)

wizarddog
09-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Madoka reales a cloud of misty colors into the face of the creature. It snorts loudly shaking its head and seems unfazed. Madoka cannot pinpoint what the creature is but notes it looks more like a river rat than a sewer rat, a minor distinction she learned in biology at the Citadel.

Blake moves forward gain and releases another arrow. He hits it in the back but again it does not react to it.

It moves forward and brings the flat of it axe down on Madoka, she ducks as it smashes again into the wall. The creature hisses, "I tire of thisss, my pretty!"

Gisele moves forward and is now 25' from the creature next to Blake.

(more actions)

rob5879
09-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Blake looks over at the door the creature was guarding. What's going on there?

He whispers to Gisele, "there's something strange going on. That thing is talking about killing and eating Madoka, but it seems to be trying to just knock her out."

Blake studies the creature and attempts to sense its motive.

Borodeva
09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
"Uh, guys, a little help here! I can't keep ducking this thing for long! Your arrows aren't hurting it. Try cold iron or silver... It's a magic river rat or something!"

[makes a confused face and 5-steps back again]

Color Spray again. Will DC16. If it works I signal the others to move in for the kill.

CaptainShar
09-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Gisele concentrates on touching the rat's mind with hers, and tries to injure it from the inside out. To all appearances, all she's doing is looking intently at the rat.

(Spending one PP to cast Mind Thrust, 1d10 damage, Will DC 14 negates.)

Borodeva
09-16-2009, 02:15 AM
OOC: Anyone else wanna try a knowledge check to ID this monster?

wizarddog
09-16-2009, 08:52 AM
The motives of the creature are obvious; to take out Madoka. Blake is unsure if the "feasting" is a sexual innuendo or a literal desire. While it seemed to want to take Madoka unconscious at one point, it's finally has flipped the blade of its axe again to strike a deadly blow.

Gisele thrust her mind at the creature, the ectoplasm envelopes its head. It drops its axe and clenches its cranium and gives a howl. Blood drops from its nose. Once finished, it turns and snarls at Giselle, fully aware of the attacker.

Just at that moment, Madoka lets go her color spray. It engulfs the creatures face. It staggers for a moment, swaying side to side and then falls into a clump on the ground. It's chest heaves heavily as it lays sprawled, still in it's strange ratlike form.

It becomes eerily quite again save for the heavy breathing.

Borodeva
09-16-2009, 12:40 PM
"Whew, move in for the kill, guys! This thing is way too dangerous to take any chances with! Close to melee and prepare killing blows. Dammit Blake, get over here and shoot it in the eye!"

[I pick up the creature's own axe (x3 crit, woot!), and carefully aim the heavy blade at its neck, waiting for Gisele and Blake to get into position.]

OOC: The plan is for me to coup de grace with the axe, Blake to coup de grace with his bow (since it's x3 for an arrow), and Gisele to coup de grace with her best weapon. We will ready and all strike simultaneously.

Woot! Score one for the rookies!

CaptainShar
09-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Gisele prepares to smash in the head of the creature with her morningstar, but says,

"We need information, not a dead body. Should we tie it up and put it in my cart?"

Borodeva
09-16-2009, 04:32 PM
"It can change form, so our ropes won't hold it! Maybe if we surround it with weapons at its throat we can get it to talk. Then again, it might escape or warn the others. Your call, sister. Kill it or try to interrogate it?"

[Wait for Gisele's response. If she wants to kill it, we wait for Blake to get in position, then we all CDG. If she wants to interrogate, I draw my dagger and place it at the rat's throat.]

OOC: Either way, I suggest that Blake hold the rat at bow-point.

rob5879
09-16-2009, 08:14 PM
Blake steps up to the creature and gets ready to strike a killing blow.

CaptainShar
09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
"Better it than us," says Gisele. She prepares to strike with her Morningstar.

Borodeva
09-16-2009, 10:35 PM
"DEATH TO THOSE WHO OPPOSE ME! MUAH-HA-HA!!!!"

The above speech was a joke.

"OK, on my mark, 1...2...3!"

[Everyone strikes with their coup de grace. Madoka auto-crits with the x3 axe.]

OOC: Afterwards let's see if it still lives and stabilize it if it is negative. If it tries to get up, let's smack it again!!!

wizarddog
09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
The group all come down on the creature. Blakes Arrow digs into the creature and a small spout of blood is produced. Madoka slams the axe on the creature but her weak arms and unfamiliarity with the axe has it bounce off the hide. Gisele fared better but the crushing blow to the head merely grazes it. Blood still trickles from its nose, Giselle must of really gave it a wallop with her mind thrust. It continues to breath heavily, barely effected by the deadly blows.

The group begin a second round of coup de gra's. Gislels mace bounces right off the creature , Blake shoots through the other eye and Madoka slices the head completely off with the axe, splattering all of you with a rain of blood droplets. The creature convulses and stops. It's form changes back into a feral looking human, lifeless. Blood pools around it soaking your boots.

CaptainShar
09-17-2009, 12:36 PM
"First you can't even hit the thing, then you chop its head off?" says Gisele. "I was hoping to question it later. Ah well. You two scout out inside. I'm going to drag this body a bit further away from the main street.

As always, you need backup, you just signal."

Borodeva
09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
"Eat my face, hmmph!," Madoka harumps. "My face is MUCH too pretty to eat."

"I'm a fast learner!," she turns to Gisele and winks. "Let's bring this body (and head) back to the guild. There might be a way to get more information using magic. And I still wanna know what it was."

[helps Gisele drag the body into the wagon and cover it up, then carefully wipes away any traces of blood on the wagon.]

"C'mon Blake. Sneaky time. Back door or front? Front faces the dock and guards could come by, but the bad guys had a guard at the front and might not be watching it from the inside so carefully. What do you guys think?"

rob5879
09-17-2009, 03:37 PM
"Let's check out the front door first, I can put out the light so the guards won't see us. We should be inside before they come to investigate. And in case the guards do come, we might want to move the wagon with all the evidence out of the blood-filled alley."

Borodeva
09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
"Ok, help me check for traps and unlock the front door. But first let's make sure this rat doesn't have a key..."

[Checks to see if the rat-human has any useful possessions other than the axe, then checks for any passing guards or other folks, then sneaks to the door and checks it for traps and locks.]

Search +10, Disable Device +10, Open Locks +9

OOC: Probably better if we each take separate checks than try to aid. Just be aware that I'm down to one L1 spell today and a few cantrips, so we'd better keep out of sight!

wizarddog
09-18-2009, 01:37 AM
The body of the creature, now human is hoisted into the wagon by Madoka and Gisele. The group returns to find Blake has extinguished the lantern at the front. The large double doors of the warehouse seem to be secured. The small door on the side is unlocked. It also appears to have been once secured by a pulley wire for some sort of trap, but it has been disabled.

The possessions of the man rat are meager cinsiting of his bloody and stretched leather armor ans his ordinary axe. One item catches your attention however, a thin copper disk 1 " diameter. Carved into it is an intricate engraving of a merchant ship and five stars in the night sky. The piece might be worth about 5gp, if the grime covering it from being handled so often was cleaned off.

From the other side of the door, the sounds of movement and mutterings can be heard but all indingsihable.

Borodeva
09-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Questions:

Are we hearing mutterings from the other side of the large double locked doors? Or are the mutterings from the other side of the small unlocked side door?

You said before there was a broken window 15' up. Any visible way to get up there, short of grappling hook and climbing up?

Is there a roof or something we could climb on or climb across?

Are there any adjacent buildings we could use to jump onto the roof or into the window of the warehouse?

CaptainShar
09-18-2009, 02:25 AM
"I could make us a tunnel," says Gisele, "but that might be noisy."

(OOC: Mind Thrust doesn't say anything about ectoplasm; Madoka and Blake might've noticed some casting motions when she did it, but all in all it's pretty unobtrusive. They still don't have much idea of Gisele's powers, and she hides her armor under her nice robes and cloak.)

"And good shot, Blake."

wizarddog
09-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Are we hearing mutterings from the other side of the large double locked doors? Or are the mutterings from the other side of the small unlocked side door?

Sounds are coming from the small door. The large doors are too thick or the voices are not near them to render any sounds. They also are quite secured.


You said before there was a broken window 15' up. Any visible way to get up there, short of grappling hook and climbing up?

You can try but a grapple would be easier and more secure. You also will have to deal with the noise you may produce climbing the building. Madoka and Blake are better suited to climbing than Gisele.


Is there a roof or something we could climb on or climb across? Are there any adjacent buildings we could use to jump onto the roof or into the window of the warehouse?

The gap between buildings is about 15 feet. You will have the same issue of climbing an adjacent building. Most of theses warehouses don't have 2nd floors but large open spaces to allow day light to filter from above. Jumping across is another matter and should be attempted by the best acrobat in the group taking account of the noise.

(any other actions/discussions)
--- Merged from Double Post ---

(OOC: Mind Thrust doesn't say anything about ectoplasm; Madoka and Blake might've noticed some casting motions when she did it, but all in all it's pretty unobtrusive. They still don't have much idea of Gisele's powers, and she hides her armor under her nice robes and cloak.)

(DM True...I was just using that as flavor. But it does have a auditory display i.e. a sound. It can be suppressed to 15 feet requiring a DC 10 listen to hear to a loud shout heard from 100 feet. To suppress the display completely is a concentration check DC 15+ level of power. And you must concentrate naturally when using them. In the case above, they heard a low hum, Gisele concentrating, and the creature reacting. In addition, all creatures know when they have been assaulted by magic or psionics unless the power specifies otherwise. The players will have to resist meta gaming on your PC's powers--after all, they can just look at your character sheet. I never police that.)

Borodeva
09-18-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm a bad climber (-2 mod) because I'm weak. Perhaps Blake should climb up with a grappling hook and peek in the window. At least that way we might have a better idea what we're up against. If we knot the rope, I can make it on a take 10. Also keep in mind our mission was only to find out what happened to the Bravos and what was going on at the warehouse. We already have a fair idea of both. And bringing back the ratman and the weird talisman should be helpful as well.

Alternately, I could use my last spell for Disguise Self, turn into the ratman and try to gain entrance to the warehouse. A really good ruse would be for me to "capture" Blake and Gisele snooping around outside, but we'd still likely be highly outnumbered inside. I'm not confident that I could go in alone, even disguised, and get back out alive.

If Blake and I manage to sneak in the window, maybe Gisele could create a disturbance outside to draw some of the intruders outside. I dunno. This is a tricky situation and I imagine we're outgunned here.

What do you guys suggest???

rob5879
09-18-2009, 06:04 AM
"I'll climb up and take a look inside. I should be able to find out what the situation is inside." Blake takes out his silk rope and grappling hook, ties them together, and looks up at the roof and window to determine where to toss the hook.

Borodeva
09-18-2009, 12:34 PM
"Sounds good, Blake. I'll sneak up to the small door and hide. That way if you need any backup or a distraction, I'll be close by. Just remember the signals--hoot owl is 'need help now!' and pigeon is 'everything is ok.' Gisele, what do you want to do while we wait for Blake?"

[Wait for Gisele's response, then sneak off to hide by the small door.]

"Psst, don't forget to knot the rope to make it easier to climb!"

wizarddog
09-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Blake, with knotted rope, tossing hook above and it snags securely on the side of the roof. He begins to climb up the rope making it up 7 feet. At that point a bit of siding of the warehouse comes loose and splinters below on the ground.

Madoka positions herself near the small door. The murmuring of voices do not seem to have stopped but cannot be distinguished beyond the door.

Borodeva
09-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Active Listen +3 to try to make out what they are saying, or at least notice if the voices or level of activity change after the wood pieces fall down.

What can I hear?

Does Blake make it all the way up?

CaptainShar
09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Gisele says,

"I will prepare a distraction if that becomes necessary."

She begins speaking in a low voice.

(Starting to summon Astral Construct; won't cast it right away next turn.)

wizarddog
09-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Madoka can barely make out the voices. If she could open the door she may be able to get a better reception. Never the less she manages to grab some of the conversation.

Blake makes his way up 15 feet and reaches the top of the warehouse. He peers below and see the are house has scattered various crates stacked up. In the center going through the crates are several figures. They are illuminated by another central figure who has a glowing orb on the end of a staff.

Of the various other figures (counting 4 others) he sees they are checking the crates contents and reporting it verbally. The man with the staff seem to be taking taking in the inventory by memory. A sixth figure paces back in forth in agitation. The rest of the chamber is dark and Blake (lacking low light vision) cannot see beyond the orb's light.

The voices of the group echo through the warehouse in hush tones:

A Searching Man: "Fur...bear... about a double score."

The Man with the glowing staff: "What color?"

Searching Man: "Uh, white.."

The Man with the glowing staff: "Open the other lots to make sure-"

The pacing cloaked figure: "SSSSSSsss. Thissss isss a wasssste of time!"

The Man with the glowing staff: "No ask you to come along. Now let me do this proper or you won't get your weapons."

The pacing cloaked figure stops: "That issss not our agreeement. I had captain Vehinarsss asssurance of the weaponssss."

The Man with the glowing staff: "Captain Vehinars and I have our orders...less you want to answer to the Voice?"

Borodeva
09-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Ok, let's huddle up, team. We've got at least 6 enemies. One looks like a caster, and one talks like a non-human. I don't think attacking now is wise. Maybe try to scare them off somehow? Or just wait until they are done? I think we should try to check out the inside of the warehouse though.

I wonder if we have time to send Gisele for reinforcements while Blake and I continue to observe/eavesdrop. I might be able to open the small door a crack and hear more.

What do you guys think?

CaptainShar
09-20-2009, 12:15 AM
"I don't think I could get in and out of the docks again without the guards being suspicious. I say we observe and report, that's all. When they look like they're about done, I suggest we tip off the guards here so they can cause some trouble to these folks. They're breaking into a warehouse, after all. Very naughty."

Gisele whispers, still holding her summoning charge.

Borodeva
09-20-2009, 01:33 AM
OOC: This was our mission as it was described: "Your mission is to discover who infiltrated the Warehouse. You will have to use your own judgment if you have tactical advantage. I would not rely on Guild backup at this time; our goal is to get their quickly and catch whoever tripped the alarm without compromising the task force mission. Your interest is to discover as much as you can about our intruders. There are six Bravos on site, they are armed with maces, short bows, and armored lightly. You can identify yourself to them via your dagger. However, you must not tip them off of your mission. One or more could be lookout for the intruders. You can never tell, in a house of thieves."

"We've discovered some info about who has infiltrated the warehouse. I will try to open the door a crack and peer in and listen better to get more info. We also need to try to find out what has happened to the Bravos. Any ideas how to do that?"

[Quietly and while hiding, swing the door open a crack and peer inside and listen intently. With the door open, maybe I can hear better. I have low-light vision so I can hopefully peer into the shadows and see what else is going on.] Hide +11, Move Silently +11, Search +10, Listen +3.

So what else do I see and hear?

CaptainShar
09-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Gisele will look around the building to see if there is any sign of what became of the bravos outside (still holding spell).

wizarddog
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Gisele notes the blood trail that leads to the small door.

Modoka opens the small door and peers inside. The voices become more pronounced. She see light coming from the center of the warehouse, fortunately, crates currently block her and the voices view from each other. To the right the Blood trail leads 15 feet in the darkness to a stout form that is not moving. To the left Madoka see a pile of humanoid forms on top of each other. They appears to be armored in leather armor but she can't tell from where she is if they are alive or dead.

Blake continues to watch from above.

"SSSSooo? My deal isss with your captain! I care not for thisssss "voice"!"

You will. Now let me finish with MY business and we'll deal with yours. Open those next crates...


"You dry sssskinssss are all the sssamme..."

Borodeva
09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
[Hand signal to Gisele that I'm going in to take a look at the pile of humanoid forms. Keeping in the shadows, I Hide and Move Silently over to the humanoid forms, then count them and search them for any signs of their identity. I know the Bravos were supposed to have maces, short bows, and light armor. Keep listening to the intruders.]

Hide +11, Move Silently +11, Search +10, Listen +3.

CaptainShar
09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Gisele will investigate the blood trail outside to see where it leads (still holding charge).

rob5879
09-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Blake pulls slightly away from the window so that he can start looking around the streets below to see if anyone's coming. He stays close enough so that he can still hear the conversation inside the warehouse.

CaptainShar
09-22-2009, 12:01 AM
Gisele is trying to see what signs of a scuffle at the front door there may be, any clues that were missed in the rush to kill the rat person.

wizarddog
09-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Blake looks down at the street. From his vantage pint he can make out several of the standing lanterns on the port but the misty fog makes it difficult to see other figures. He notes the large light houses are lit and flashing their beams along the coastal waters of the bay.

Giselle believes the source of the blood is near where they fought the Wererat. The dragging of the victim leads to the stout form to the right inside the warehouse.

Madoka makes it towards the forms and counts four humans in leather armor. The only evidence of weapons on them are unstrung bows and daggers in their shelves. He notes that all four are heavily breathing but unconscious. They show no obvious wounds.

Crossing through the crates she managed to get a good look at the man holding the staff. He has a very thin dark face with red eyes. Draped in an elegant black cloak he seems to have a rapier at his side. The others searching the crates appear human but quite scruffy and their armor is ragged and torn. The Last figure in the greenish cloak is very bulky and when it paces a squishy sound is produced.

"SSSS. Where isssss that Rat?"

"Sour Whisker is not your concern, fishface."

The bulky form moves right next to the man with the staff.

"Do not call me that....drysssssskin! I will claw the tongue from your mouth and hang your intesssstinessss from the rafterssss!"

"Then you won't get your weapons. Doesn't seem to be the smart move right now. Hurry up you seadogs, we been at this too long!"

Borodeva
09-22-2009, 03:54 PM
[If I can make eye contact with Blake, I will hand signal him that the 4 rogues here are alive. Then I sneak over to the stout form and check him and his stuff out. Is he dead? What does he have on him? While I'm moving I try to get a good look at the figure in the greenish cloak.]

wizarddog
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Madoka signals Blake, who she sees his silhouetted body through the window back dropped by moon light. She moves stealthy across the crates back her same path and heads left to the stout figure. It appears to be a dwarf, it's head has been split by a blade. He too has leather armor and a dagger sheaf in its scabbard. A pool of blood sounds him caked congealed to the floor.

The cloaked figure stands roughly 6 feet tall. Most noticeably is its green webbed feet that squish and leave a trail of water as it paces. As it turns, Madoka makes out what could be a tail dangling from the rear. It does not appear to be carrying any weapons but near to its pacing path is a pile of maces and swords glitting from the light.

It mutters to itself in a strange language.
"SSSSssssssssoooooshhhhssss"

The Man with the staff and his cronies continue to open crates, checking merchandise but not taking anything that you can see.

Borodeva
09-23-2009, 02:51 PM
[I hand signal to Blake, one dead rogue here, then I find a really good hiding place where I can continue to observe the intruders. I make sure I'm well-hidden (multiple Hide checks until I'm sure I'm out of sight) and keep watching until they start doing something different or leave.]

CaptainShar
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Gisele motions to the two of them that they should get going before the intruders do - they're very outnumbered and don't want to be caught when they notice that the guard is gone.

Borodeva
09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
[Madoka glares at the fish-man, reflects upon her lack of spells, then grits her teeth and waves back to Gisele that she is coming. I take the dagger and scabbard off the dwarf, then sneak back out and rejoin the group for a stealthy retreat.]

Forgot to add: Knowledge check to identify what kind of humanoid the fish-dude is. Arcana +5 or Local +5.

rob5879
09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Blake climbs down to join the others, satisfied that he was able to overhear some good information.

Borodeva
09-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Run away! Run away! Keep RUNNING!

(Sorry, had to throw in the Monty Python reference!)

[We pile back into the wagon and carefully hide ourselves (and the rat-man corpse) under the tarp and behind the merchandise. I keep the head separately in a sack. When we get to the gate we try to get the same guards who checked us before in hopes they will just wave us past. After all, they know we have a pass!]

wizarddog
09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Madoka grabs the dagger from the dwarf corpse. She hastily makes it out the door. She is unable to place the creature.

Blake attempts to climb down the side of the building. Just at the top, his foot gives way and punches through the old wooded roof shingle, sending it crashing down into the warehouse. With his foot stuck through the roof into the interior he hears the talking cease immediately. Madoka hears the sound of wood clanging inside the warehouse echoing as she is about to exit the door.

"Whassss isss thissss?!"

"We have guests..."

CaptainShar
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Gisele rushes back to the open door to get line of sight on the intruders and summons her construct near as many of them as possible (especially the wizard and lizardman) to get in a full-round attack.

(I'll detail my special properties of the construct later, I'm at work.)

Borodeva
09-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Confusing situation without a map and rolling initiative.

It seems like I am outside and ahead of Blake in the initiative order since I was already sneaking out when he made noise. Correct?

OOC: The plan is for Gisele and Blake to target the Wizard first and then the Fish-Man while I take out the wimps.

If I'm outside and still hidden, I will cast Sleep from hiding, targeting all the lackeys. I can affect 4 hit dice of lackeys. Will DC16.

If I'm still inside, I will Color Spray the Wizard and Fish-Man and as many lackeys as I can get in my 15-foot cone, then run! Will DC16.

If I'm outside but clearly spotted, I'm gonna bolt into the nearest concealment and Hide. Hide +11.

wizarddog
09-24-2009, 10:16 PM
DM: Don't be so concerned about mechanics. Be aware that when you indicate multiple actions based on the circumstance, you may be delaying to see what is going on. The placement of your PC is where the DM says events happen during your last post.

This is a narrative game, not a table top simulation. Your narrative description of actions outweighs the mechanics.

In this case, as Madoka was leaving, she heard the crash just as she left the door. It is a courteously to you that you have the opportunity to hear it and not abandon Blake. Otherwise, Madoka would have been jumping into the cart. Madoka is currently undetected but she needs to react to the situation, otherwise she is delaying to see what happens and she will forfeit her options (like hiding) if she has not even begun to hide as a reaction. While Madooka has remain hidden for the time, the situation has changed: The enemies are aware someone is around. This requires her to react by hiding in a new spot, preparing for combat or running away, not a landury list of what she will do if she is hidden. Your relying on a mechanic of "Hiding" and what it implies rather than describing your players reactions.

In this case, she has to indicate how she is going to hide (Inside the warehouse, behind the door, etc) knowing she needs concealment or cover to do so. Once she chooses to how and where to hide, then she can prepare a contingent action if she chooses.

It doesn't matter if you have your actions planned till next tuesday, you have to react to situation presented. It's called tension. Your player can't see the future, only be prepared for contingencies, and that is limited. You'll save yourself some typing. If you place movement and actions too far in the future you find yourself constantly having to backtrack to react to the situation. You should be posting for the moment, not for the future unless you are specifically awaiting something to happen. In cases where you are in danger, staying within the confounds of what you can do in a turn is best, even if out of combat. In situations where you are not threatened, then time is flexible and you can do what you want.

In this case, you are in danger of being discovered. Based on actions by the players and skill checks determind the actions and counter actions in the narrative.

Gisele is near the door (following the blood trail) and prepared her manifestation based on her last posting. She would not have moved until Madoka exited the door. That is just logic.

Blake failed a climb check and caused his presence to be known. The enemy reacted to Blake smashing his foot through the weak roof and the pieces falling below.

CaptainShar
09-25-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm still planning to do what I just posted. Move to where I can see inside and summon my construct. Giving it the improved slam for extra damage, double improved slam if that would help.

If not, improved slam and cleave.

Borodeva
09-25-2009, 12:42 AM
OK, reacting to Blake making noise and getting noticed while I am still inside the warehouse, I turn and Color Spray the Wizard and Fish-Man and as many lackeys as I can get in my 15' cone from my hidden position in the shadows by the dwarf body. I avoid Color Spraying the construct if it has appeared by then.

After that, I run outside and stand behind Gisele so she can protect me since I'm squishy!

OOC: I'm really hoping Blake can shoot the wizard or the fish-man from the roof. Let's fight for now and see how we do!

CaptainShar
09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
All right, I'm finally at home. I'm going to summon an Astral Construct with the Improved Slam Attack and Trip abilities. It's going to attack the wizard.

I'm going to summon it so it has room to charge, so with the charge it'll have a +5 to attack. If it hits, it does 1d6 +3 damage and gets a free trip attempt.

wizarddog
09-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Gisele begins her summons of the creature. The man with the staff see her and as she releases the creature his staff extinguishes putting the entire warehouse in darkness. The moon light shines through the above windows and the door way in which Gisele stands. Her construct appears out of Giseles sight and snaps in the darkness. A horrid scream is heard the sound of a body hits the floor. She can feel the creature dispersing back into ectoplasm.

Two small crossbow bolts come out from the darkness at Gisele. One hits the door frame, another bounces off her breast plate.

Madoka in the darkness, hears the sounds of three approaching figures, she releases her color spray and hears two distinct thuds hit the floor. A meek voice calls out "Horay? Miguel?" Madoka also hears the distinct squishy footstep sound coming from her right in the darkness some 10 feet away.

Blake struggles to free his leg. He succeeds just as crossbow bolt whizzes past him. He turns and sees a figure in the moon light on an adjacent building aiming a crossbow some 60 feet away. It begins to reload.

CaptainShar
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Gisele calls out, "Madoka, get out of there!"

Readying an action to cast Mind Thrust on the first enemy that comes out of the warehouse. The archer is out of her range.

Borodeva
09-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Move fast towards the sound of Gisele's voice. If I get through the door in one move I will hide outside the door up against the outside of the door frame. Otherwise I double move to get outside and stand behind Gisele.

rob5879
09-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Blake tries to quickly climb down the rope before another shot can be fired.

Borodeva
09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
"We've got them surrounded! Finish them off!," Madoka declares loudly.

[let's try to finish this, you guys still have spells and full HP]

wizarddog
09-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Gisele readies herself in the door frame for a target, she see nothing through the darkness. Then suddenly a light flashes in the distance it makes its way across the warehouse and strikes Gisele squarely into the chest, knocking her unsteady (6 hit points force damage). Two more crossbow bolts fire at her from the darkness, one bounces off her breast plate, but another strikes her in the neck (1 points of damage) She feels woozy and realizes the bolt contained poison. She falls to the ground.

Madoka bolts for the door. She hears the sound of squishy feet and boots pursue her. She quickly pushes herself against the wall to hide. Two figures emerge; a scruffy human wielding a short sword and the fish creature bearing its large claws.

"SSSss.... where did ssssshe go?"

Blake begins to descend. He is out of sight of his crossbow attacker but see below two forms pursuing Madoka. He might be able to jump down on one of them if he times it right. Or maybe provide a distraction on the two enemies who are right next to Madoka. He also see Gisele on the ground, her fate unknown.

A voice bellows from the warehouse. "I want them ALIVE!"

(actions)

rob5879
09-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Blake pulls out his kama and jumps down on the nearest enemy!

Borodeva
09-26-2009, 04:38 PM
OOC: Let's team up on the Lizardman.

Just realized flanking doesn't activate Sudden Strike. Crap. But if Blake surprises the Lizardman by dropping on him, he should get his extra +1d6 damage.

From hiding, quietly draw my bow and pump an arrow into the Lizardman's back. Base +3 to hit, +2 more if I was hidden from him (same as invisible), and I may deny him dex due to being hidden as well. Damage of 1d8 if I hit.

Since I have concealment I shouldn't provoke an AoO. Unfortunately they are almost guaranteed to see me after my sniping.

My AC is currently 17 due to Mage Armor.

wizarddog
09-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Madoka fires an arrow at the fish creature, it hits directly on its neck (Confirmed critical hit!) and a fountain of blueish blood spouts from the wound. It gurgles clutching the arrow and it falls to the ground.

The other human immediately locates Madoka with a sneer. It move foward on Madoka. Blake jumps down with his Kama but misplaces his aim. He lands on his feet behind it. The human moves swiftly and slashes at Madoka. It blade cuts into Madoka shoulder (2 hit points). Madoka's feels woozy from the blade but manages to keep herself concious.

Blake hears the sounds of more boots coming from the darkness of the warehouse.

Gisele is unconcious.

(actions)

CaptainShar
09-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Gisele does not dream.

(Racial feature.)

Borodeva
09-26-2009, 11:44 PM
5-step back, shoot the human with my bow (+3 to hit, 1d8 damage), then hide in the shadows again outside the warehouse up against the outside wall. Hide +11. Note that I'm wearing faceblack from my camouflage kit so no one has gotten a good look at my face yet. (see post #137)

(I'm hoping that between my arrow shot and Blake's next attack, we can kill this human before others emerge from the warehouse. Thus my hiding attempt again. I know I can't Hide In Plain Sight.)

OOC: If we can keep picking them off, they might stop attacking long enough for us to grab Gisele and run to the wagon.

wizarddog
09-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Madoka steps back and aims her bow at the human. The arrow strikes it squarely in the chest, it staggers and falls to the ground.

Two more humans emerge from the doorway. One attempts a somersault pass Blake but slips halfway on the blood. Blake tries to slash at him with his kama but he regains footing and makes his way on the other side of Blake, effectively being flanked. The two slash their blades at Blake. He tangles one of the blades with his kama and kicks the hilt of the second sword before it can strike him. Blake shifts out of the flank and brings his kama down on one he had tangled the sword. The human deflects it with his sword and the two thugs snarl, unaware of Madoka's presence.

(actions)

rob5879
09-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Blake attacks again and kicks the door shut, hoping to prevent the caster inside from attacking.

Borodeva
09-29-2009, 01:29 AM
[I try to stay hidden in the shadows.]

"HERE! The intruders are HERE! Kill them all!," Madoka shouts as loud as she can, then casts Ghost Sound to create a loud whistle blowing, then the sounds of four armored humans shouting from around a nearby corner, then running towards us. (sounds last for one full round)

wizarddog
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
"Bastards must work for the watch!"

One of them tumbles past Blake and runs the opposite way towards the city side of the warehouse and round the corner. The other withdrawls and joins his comrade.

Blake moves to slam the door but its blocked by Gisele's body. Does he dare move her and expose himself to the entry way?

The corspe of strange fish creature and a human ooze a mixture of blue and red blood into the cobble stone.

Madoka notices a figure creeping along the shadows along the warehouse wall from the dock side with a crossbow raised at Blake. Blake is unaware of the sniper.

(Actions)

Borodeva
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
[Madoka levels her bow at the sniper and fires.]

"B! Sniper at 9 o'clock by the warehouse wall!"

[I then try reach over and shake Gisele awake. Since I felt woozy from the poison, I'm wondering if she is just asleep. I try not to expose myself in the doorway because I don't want anyone inside to have line of sight on me.]

wizarddog
09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Madoka shouts a warning to Blake and fires her bow. Unfortunatley Blake is in the fire of Madoka arrow and she misses the sniper as the arrow flies past him. Blake mistakenly looks at Madoka in confusion and is struck by the bolt (7points of damage), he staggers from the blow and feels woozy. Blake crumples to the ground.

Madoka taps Gisele with her foot but she is unresponsive.

The crossbow sniper, now aware of Madoka reloads his crossbow.

Borodeva
09-29-2009, 04:35 PM
And then there was one...

[I run for cover and duck behind any cover or concealment I can find. Failing to find cover or concealment, I drop prone instead to get the AC bonus.]

"Sergeant, over here! Surround the sniper!," Madoka shouts as loud as she can, then casts Ghost Sound to create a burly voice answering my call, then the sounds of four armored humans shouting from around a nearby corner, then running towards the sniper. (sounds last for one full round)

wizarddog
09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Madoka drops to the ground and tries her spell once more. However the sniper seems unnerved by it.

"Your tricks won't work on me!" He draws his shortsword while still holding the light crossbow and stands over Blake with the blade at his throat.

"Throw the bow away or your partner starts bleeding!"

Borodeva
09-30-2009, 12:49 AM
"Partner? I hardly know the guy!," Madoka chuckles as she slowly shows herself and lets her bow drop gently to the ground.

"So what happens now? Looks like you are a little short on manpower."

[Wait and see what happens, allowing myself to be captured.]

Missed it by THAT much...

wizarddog
09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
"Just wait there."
He keeps the blade on Blakes unconcious body. Madoka knows, that with just one flick, he would cut a artery on her comrades neck.
"I have the wizard!"


A few rounds later, two humans emerged, they look a little dizzy. They point handcrossbows at Madoka. A final figure emerges, the man with the staff. You recognize immediately thathe is a darkelf. He eyes the slaughtered fish creature and sighs.

"Now I have to explain this to the captain."

He pulls Blakes dagger from his scabbard. He sneers. "Thieves Guild."

"Bound him and take his comrades with him. The Voice will want to interogate them."

Unable to cast her powerful spells and fearing the lives of her comrades, Madok allows herself to be bound. She might be able to break free but with the fate of Gisel and Blake, she is reluctant to take the risk...yet. With hood placed over her head she is taken to a place unknown...

End of Chapter two.

Look to the rewards section for XP.