PDA

View Full Version : Still shocked!

MuslixtheMighty
07-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Thursday night, something happened to me that I am still trying to wrap my mind around. A man with a baby boy, I would say about 2, knocked on my door and asked me if I could spare some money so he could buy some diapers for his son. I turned him away and he walked off yet, thirty minutes later, I saw him walking past my house with a large dog, instead of the baby, which was making me start to question is the kid was his in the first place.

Oldgamer
07-25-2009, 05:39 PM
I've seen these people before in my old neighborhood ... they think they can get you once at least. There's no telling about whose kid it was though. If he's still around somewhere, you should call the police ... even if the kid is his, he's not able to take care of it.

korhal23
07-25-2009, 05:46 PM
There's a guy around my town who you'll see in front of restaurants and stuff. His car has always "just run out of gas" and he needs (always) precisely 3 dollars to get some gas. What he'll do with 3 dollars worth of gas is beyond me (if it's to get home what will he do with it there? And if it's to get to a gas station, if he's that broke what's he going to do when he gets THERE?)

Some people only know how to scam others. If only they'd use their powers for good....

cplmac
07-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I would recomend a call to the police. By the sounds of it, he has at least 2 different scams going. Most likely there are more.

There is a guy that is always sitting at the same intersection day after day with a sign that says "need money for gas & food. Have never seen anyone giving him any money.

nijineko
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
i long ago made a policy to never give out money. one can never tell how someone will spend it. on the other hand, i also made a policy that i will spend my money myself to buy food for people, and that i will give food to people.

so far, of all the people i've had ask for money for "food", only one has taken me up on it.

there was a gentleman who lived in the town i was living in at the time i came to the above mentioned resolutions, he was always out in front of the local kmart with a hat in hand sitting down and begging. i later saw him pack up and hop into a huge suv. turns out he was somewhat of a local figure. he was one of those people who got sick of the rat race and decided to make a social statement by begging. he apparently does well enough to live comfortably, according to some long time locals.

mrken
07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Those people live in Denver. Every day while downtown I see panhandlers setting on the corners sign in hand begging for "even a quarter helps", or "space ship broke, need money for parts" or "will work for food". A local TV station followed some of them and found them being picked up and taken to local motels. Seems these professional beggars make pretty good money.

Yeah, sometimes I feel sorry for some of these folks but I can't help everyone. I give my money to my church who then takes care of people who truly do need help.

Oldgamer
07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
They did the same thing in the Tampa Bay area a few years back. The guys would drive in a BMW and park about 6 blocks away and dirty themselves up and get into character and slowly lumber their way to the corner they want to work, which they are very territorial, and beg all day. At the end of the day, they go back to the Beamer and drive to a nice house somewhere ... some admitted to making around $80,000+ a year off of other's charity, or guilt.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-26-2009, 10:21 AM
They did an investigative show out here a few years back where they got on video some homeowner that dressed down and begged a few hours a day. The income he was bringing in brought him more money that his good paying job. I don't give any more either.

traesin
07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
in Eugene they asked the local beggars and they where bringing in about $800 a day. Downtown Portland is crawling with beggers. you can't go anywhere without being hit up for money. A lot of them are teens or in their early 20's. Most are just to lazy to get a job. (you find out a lot eavesdropping)

Arkhemedes
07-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Don' t know about anywhere else but they recently passed a law in Dallas making panhandling illegal.

XeroDrift
09-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Thursday night, something happened to me that I am still trying to wrap my mind around. A man with a baby boy, I would say about 2, knocked on my door and asked me if I could spare some money so he could buy some diapers for his son. I turned him away and he walked off yet, thirty minutes later, I saw him walking past my house with a large dog, instead of the baby, which was making me start to question is the kid was his in the first place.

Never trivialize the plight of parents with Were-Babies...