PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns / Adventures Hindi World Flavor

thomaswhodoubts
07-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I've created a world with two continents further divided by the pantheons in Dieties and Demigods (the original, with Cthullu and the Grey Mouser). My players have wandered into the Hindu country, Kishmari. I have looked up and given stats to many of the Hindu gods, and have even found a guide for Indian place names, so cities have names that translate to Our Forest, or god X's Hill fort, etc. I also have a list of royal titles. Does anyone have any suggestions for adding further Indian/Hindu flavor?

BTW, it's a homeruled 1st ed. campaign.

yukonhorror
07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
I watched this documentary on the mahabharata.

Also, here is a nice wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

It is a very interesting story, that could even make for a nice campaign arc.

thomaswhodoubts
07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Yukon, the link - and the link's links - is very helpful. Any ideas about props?

thomaswhodoubts
06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Campaign has been doing very well - especially the NPC Shrinu Hala Hala, an M-U Dwarf/swami. The resources yukonhorror provided were very useful, and I found a number of sites on the gods of India, and a particularly useful one - the 'World Famous Hindu Name Generator (http://dipnames.tripod.com/), as names are a problem. I also found a very useful list of Indian place name prefixes and suffixes, although I can't find the links yet.

Anyone else tried a little curry in their campaign?

Utgardloki
08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I recommend reading _The Cartoon History of the Universe II_ by Larry Gonick. This volume has an excellent description of ancient history of the Indian subcontinent, from the construction of the first cities, up to about the 5th Century.

The essential character of India is apparently the quest for understanding. Not just a long-winded technical, scientific breakdown of why rocks are hard, but a deeply felt feeling that you really understand the cosmos. While the Greeks and Norse may regard their gods as physical figures who beat up trolls and throw lightning bolts, the Hindu gods are like an elaborate facade. There is a mask behind the mask behind the mask and behind THAT is reality.

Of course, the historical continent of India was much influenced by the many invasions that took place over the centuries, each one adding a new layer. If we assume that your setting is similar, then there are probably people who buy into the caste system where the most recent invaders are the logical rulers, and there are probably people who prefer the old system where they were not slaves on the bottom of the totem pole. Adherents of the new system are probably not too keen on adherents of the old system spreading their ideas. And of course you have the radical prophets who suggest just scrapping everything in favor of their obvious insight like Evil is Bad and Good is Good.