PDA

View Full Version : Ascending to Godhood

MuslixtheMighty
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Tomorrow night, I am going to be running my very first WFRP one shot. I have GM'ed other games, D&D mostly, yet they usually blew up in my face. I created the characters using the random creation method, which I love for you come up with some really awesome and/or silly characters. I am 90% done with the session, just finishing up all the loose ends.

Wish me luck!

CEBedford
07-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Good luck! WFRP is a great game.

cplmac
07-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, good luck with you game. Good to see that you keep coming back to the DMs seat. Just remember that all the great DMs were once just basically where you are at now. I hope to one day be able to have been good enough as a DM as to be included amongst their ranks.

thomaswhodoubts
07-23-2009, 04:16 PM
What's WFRP? I assume from the title of the thread it's an epic-level game? Let us know how it turns out. I have yet to do an (intentional) one-shot - how did you limit yourself plot-wise, and how did it work for you?

Good luck!

CEBedford
07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Haha, it's probably the exact opposite of an Epic level game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP) is a role playing game set in a world of grim perilous adventure. You play a character generally aspiring to rise above his low station, clawing your way tooth and nail in a world torn apart by war. It's gritty, it's lethal and it's humor is black. :biggrin:

thomaswhodoubts
06-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Haha, it's probably the exact opposite of an Epic level game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (WFRP) is a role playing game set in a world of grim perilous adventure. You play a character generally aspiring to rise above his low station, clawing your way tooth and nail in a world torn apart by war. It's gritty, it's lethal and it's humor is black. :biggrin:
Sounds interesting. I thought Warhammer was all about spending thousands of dollars on armies that are outdated in six months.

fmitchell
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Sounds interesting. I thought Warhammer was all about spending thousands of dollars on armies that are outdated in six months.

That's the miniatures game. The Fantasy RPG ages better, which is why Games Workshop keeps killing it.

cigamnogard
06-01-2010, 06:52 PM
How do they kill it?

fmitchell
06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
How do they kill it?

Check its history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Roleplay#History): GW to Flame Publications to limbo to Hogshead Publishing to Black Library/Green Ronin (with a new version) to Fantasy Flight Games (yet another version).

Somehow, GW seems to take back the WFRP license once its sales start cutting into miniatures sales.

Ghostmaker
07-28-2010, 10:45 AM
In short, WFRP allows you to play one of three races, with over 30 or so classes. One of the more interesting aspects of character creation is that you roll for class...being more true to socio-economic status of that kind of time frame, where you are born into a particular caste, as opposed to choosing. The older versions of WFRP used a d10 system similar to what Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch games are using now for the 40k universe. The new game is released in a boxed set at about $100, meant to be purchased for a group rather than a player. Within the box you'll find a book for players, wizards and clerics, as well as a GM's guide. It also has cards for each class that are set up to create games that are skirmished based, but have the ability to parley them into campaign play. With mechanics that adjust stances from conservative to agressive, and the fact that parties can cross train one another in abilities and have group feats...its a uniquely made system, which seems bulky at first, but lends itself to great gameplay. The hardest part of the system is becoming aclimated to the dice, which use symbols, rather than numbers...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Point of note:

Humans
Elves
Halflings
Dwarves
Gnomes (Warpstone) & Ogres (fan-based). I always allow both.
Rules for Dark Elves, Skaven, and others, if DM allows
Over 250 playable careers (not including fan-based), depending on the edition. Though, classes can be modified to play 1 or 2E systems. Haven't played 3E, as of yet. Game is flexible like Traveller CT. Really, a group can design a game to fit most any interest.

I have, and many others, made epic level careers and modules... think Gotrek and Felix. Best dark fantasy out there, IMO.

Just more reasons the game is great. I've actually run games where a group of players (all playing Skaven) spent their entire careers trying to bring down human towns and cities through curruption. Ah, great fun.

Where's our update, MuslixtheMighty?