PDA

View Full Version : What else do you do?

MuslixtheMighty
07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes, I know that you love roleplaying games , video games and/or miniature strategy games, but what else do you love? What are your other interests?

I have a very deep love for the Rockabilly sub-culture. The cars, PBR, women and music just get my heart a-bumpin. I have a '66 Mustang, which I had been working on last summer but stopped due to winter yet haven't started up again for I don't have the money to put into it. I love going to concerts, been to more in this year then ever before.

Freejack
07-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I do a lot of motorcycle touring. I'm up to about 150,000 miles since I got back on the bikes in 2001.

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?IMG_0077.jpg

I've started escalating my woodworking. I've done lots of hacks, mostly shelves. This is my first real project. The cabinets are built but not mounted on the stands and the top isn't attached. The vertical board leaning up behind it is the backsplash.

http://www.schelin.org/jpgshow.php?DSCN1065.JPG

And of course I'm a computer geek, big time. I have 11 computers plus my work laptop (the XP). Two OpenBSD, three Sun SPARC with Solaris, one Mac laptop, one Windows Vista laptop (wife's really), one XP Pro laptop, an XP media server next to the TV, my game box (the black one about chair height), one Mandrake linux box, and one Windows 98 SE box (my wife's old box, now my old gaming box).

http://shadowrun.us/20090621/dscn1036x800.jpg

Carl

outrider
07-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Tennis for me. I have been playing since I was a teenager and its just a great game to play.

Baldwin Stonewood
07-20-2009, 08:00 PM
I enjoy flying - Key West for lunch. Roughly, an 1:35 to 1:45 minutes away depending on the direction of the wind.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Read, write, research, and practice magick. What else would one expect from a Lich, and an Arch Lich at that. BTW Freejack, Id love to go motorcycle touring/adventuring. That looks to be so much fun, but alas, injuries are preventing me.

If i could ever find the time, I'd like to learn guitar and piano.

Sascha
07-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Like many guitarists, I spend a lot of time tuning up.

Also, playing out of tune.

RoryN
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
When I'm not scouringover the forums here, I play some online poker, keep track of my OOTP baseball leagues, do whatever season it is with fantasy sports (except hockey), play some Civ IV, do yardwork when I get the urge (which isn't too often, unfortunately) and I love to go fishing up in the mountains around here...just get away from town and the noise for a while.

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Well I played soccer last year, but I'm still debating on whether to keep doing it. I'm not having as much fun with it anymore. I have started learning how to smack around golf balls and that's kinda fun. I've liked catfishing for awhile so that's something. My main thing is trying to get a job. I'm 17 and about to get my liscence and I'm not one of those kids who's parents will pay for their car and insurance so that's on me. I don't really mind though. I've got a car but it needs alot of work before I can drive it but me and my dad got that covered.

My favorite thing is horror movies though. Well really any kind of movie but horror especially. I've got a pretty respectable collection for someone my age and I'm proud of that :D

p.s. I liked the pictures FreeJack, I wish I had some of my own already on my computer to post also

Jmkeylon
07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm a soundman at my church, and a Bass player.

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm a soundman at my church, and a Bass player.

I used to play the bass untill the wiring got all messed up b/c someone twisted my amp jack around and tore some cords. I just never got around to fixing it. I have/had/still-have-but-don't-play an Ibanez 5 string bass :rockon:

Freejack
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
p.s. I liked the pictures FreeJack, I wish I had some of my own already on my computer to post also

It's a habit from motorcycle touring. I take a lot of pics while riding (well and stopping) so I tend to get pics of other projects.

Besides. It's easier than having everyone over to look :D

Carl

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM
My grandpa is really big into carpentry and I'm over hanging out with him alot and I've tried my hand at wood work also. We just recently got done restoring one of those old cabinets with the flour sifter built into it. That took a few days.

Webhead
07-20-2009, 10:05 PM
When not pursuing gaming (of varieties including role playing, console, PC, board and card games) or my other primary interests (books, movies and comics), I'm mostly relegated to tending to home and family. Between spending time with wife and kids, keeping the house in some semblance of repair (and preparing it for two new babies) and trying to find time to visit with my brother and parents, I'm kept fairly busy.

Truth be told, I'd like to make myself find the time to resume two other passions I hold: fiction writing and illustation. My dream job would probably be becoming a comic book illustrator, but being able to write and draw your own comics would be even more awesome. I've mostly got the writing part down, now if only I could practice my drawing skills...

MuslixtheMighty
07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I need to go back to studying for my motorcycle permit.

Angelus_Nox
07-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Freejack, you replaced a friend of mine on the topspot of the "people who have far too many computers". He has 6 or 7.
Anyway, I used to be a computer game junkie, but that's toned down (due to the amount of boring, "it's been done already" kind of games, I presume, as opposed to the "OMG there are so many cool games coming out I can't decide nor do I have the money"). My obsessive behaviour has since shifted to airsoft guns, at one point I owned 10 pistols and 6 or 7 rifles. Most of these were crappy and have since been turned into reservoirs for spare parts and to increase my knowledge on the matter. I will get new gear and aftermarket parts in a few months to the amount of around $1000 (told you I was kinda obsessive about it ;)). Of course, I also try and use those guns as often as local laws allow.
Other than that, I recently started biking 12 km a day to improve my stamina (both for airsofting, but also because my stamina was rather... unimpressive).
Then there is the standard fare, reading, writing, doodling (I wouldn't call that drawing), my RPG takes up quite some time. Can't think of anything else right now.

Skunkape
07-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I do a lot of motorcycle touring. I'm up to about 150,000 miles since I got back on the bikes in 2001.

Carl

Wow, that's a lot of miles! I ride usually 4 days a week, but no where near as long a distance!:biggrin:

Harwel
07-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I wish I could get on a bike, but I have chronic vertigo problems. It would be very stupid. :(

Besides tabletop games, I enjoy PC games. I'm also a huge ice hockey fan (Boston Bruins and New York Rangers, both formerly "the home team" for me at some point). Between all that and being a homeowner, that pretty much takes most of my time. Another hobby that fell by the wayside in recent years in homebrewing (beer, not games). I want to get back into that, but I'm not in a hurry since the Pacific Northwest is swimming in fine craft-brewed ales anyway.

Arkhemedes
07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
I spend a lot of time reading vs TV watching which I do very little of these days, though I do have a fair number of DVDs that I'll watch on my big screen. I love to travel, Europe, Hawaii, Aruba or just to the nearest river with a canoe, though I haven't gotten to do as much of that as I'd like lately. I go snow skiing in New Mexico as often as I can and I love a good concert, which I've been to well over a hundred and still have all the ticket stubs.

Oldgamer
07-21-2009, 02:42 PM
It depends on how much money I have :) If I have the money, I go to the beach and spend weekends or weeks in either Longboat Key or Sanibel/Captiva Islands ... I skydive ... I like building things and working around the yard ... I like to go to beer and wine tastings ... weight lifting ... martial arts.

But those are things I do when I have enough money. Right now I mostly sit in front of a computer and go through the different forums I belong to, play D&D PbP, or play video games I already have.

CEBedford
07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
I listen to a lot of music and lately have been partial to Every Time I Die, Iwrestledabearonce, and Protest The Hero.

I'm a recovering WoW addict (sadly not a joke) so I'm trying to find new hobbies or get back into old ones. I enjoy writing and have a few novel ideas I might toy with once I'm finally settled again. I still play video games but generally only an hour or two a night. I'm also into movies. Lately I've been watching a lot of action films and martial arts films.

I'm slowly taking up exercise which is good and I haven't had a cig in about a month so I have my hands full trying not to eat everything in sight. :o

Malruhn
07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I play keyboards and guitar (and trumpet, flute, harmonica and tambourine) in a classic rock (and other) cover band. We play everything from Stevie Ray Vaughn to Vanilla Ice (Ice, ice, baby!) and some Maroon 5 even.

I try to read - but don't have much time. I also try to spend some time with my long-suffering wife and kids... but I never have enough time for them either.

templeorder
07-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I love to fly-fish. I enjoy reading, writing, and movies.. but they are not a hobby (though writing is - used to write more stories and poetry, too busy now). I don't do much online gaming, but dabble here and there (MoM 2 (under a different name - i'm excited for) + diablo 3...

I do some web work for fun, some search engine optimization. i like to shoot trap and skeet, and just go target practicing. I dont get enough of shooting, i would like to go out more.

I used to like skateboarding, but i've gained too much weight for it now.

I guess i might call drinking scotch a hobby!

tesral
07-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Let See:

Write: Both Fiction and non-fiction.

Model: Plastic, resin, and pewter. I'll try nearly anything at least once. I am fond of Star Trek style ships and fantasy subjects. I machine and cast.

Computers: I like the things. I prefer to work with the computer not on it, but I will build my own, repair laptops and dig into the hardware in general. I prefer Linux, know the Amiga well and even have a box or so of C-64s about the place. I would have to do an inventory to get the exact number of computers in the house.

Music: I play violin, play at the guitar, can peck my way around a keyboard or harp (We do have one) I can get musical noise out of anything but a flute. I've written a few songs. Nothing popular mind you, Filk mostly.

traesin
07-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I work 60+hrs a week and usually 6 days a week. My "hobbie" right now is sleeping. I used to play cards, read books, sew, scrapebook and hike. ahhhh those were the good days.

kkriegg
07-22-2009, 02:46 AM
I like board games, like Settlers of Cataan and Agricola. Last year about this time, I smashed up my motorcycle, so no more of that. I used to like Boxing and Judo, and hope to get back into eventually. Also, paintball. Sadly, I don't have much of an entertainment budget as of late.

Lately, I started hitting the driving range.

Dytrrnikl
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't game as much as I used to, down to once every 3 weeks on average, sometimes even less than that. Probably my number one passion is my wife. Sappy, I know, but I genuinely enjoy spending time with her and doing things with her - except for shopping, she can do that by herself. I read anything and everything I can whenever I get the chance - such as the throne room...there are three thrones in my house and each of them has a different book. After a 4 year layoff, I've gotten back into playing golf with hopes of returning to my previous quantity of play 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes more. I'm actually pretty vanilla right now otherwise. My wife and I have RL desire to start our family, unfortunately it's gotta be done through adoption.

NarutoAngel221
08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
When I am not watching anime then probably I am working or if not I am sleeping and sometimes I watch tv , go to mall and read some books

Talmek
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I enjoy reading military history and fiction. I work a twelve-hour rotating shift, so between sleeping, trying to keep up with my physical fitness and spending time with my three daughters, I have a pretty eventful life.

Recently my biggest interest has been to try and heal up my Boxer, Vaughan (after the late, great Stevie Ray). It has been a trying ordeal that seems that will come to a sad end, after all.

jade von delioch
08-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm an Animator in life. I design characters, Storyboard, create layouts, write, etc. I prefer 2D over 3D, but can do both.

I would like to do other stuff, but since i am in school and raising my Daughter i don't have time for anything else right now.

Vodka
08-09-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm a big time hockey enthusiast. I watch it quite a bit and attempt to play it when I can, though I haven't quite gotten down some of the turns and movements yet. Also, it's not like there's too many opportunities for girls to play hockey, sadly.

I'm also a huge Transformers geek, and am slowly but surely amassing a sizable collection. Legos too- I have a bucket that makes my little cousins screech in delight when they get to come over for babysitting.

Aside from that, it's the usual ensemble of video gaming, books, writing, good movies, and television shows. Oh yes, and comic books.

Oldgamer
08-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I love hockey too! I played it up until college level in Ohio, I played against the OSU Buckeyes in inter mural hockey at St. John's Arena as a teenager, but sadly never went further with it. I doubt your favorite is the same, but I'm sticking with my hometown team The Blue Jackets, who had a pretty good year considering how young of a team they are. It's good to see a girl playing! I've never seen it except on a movie (somewhere), but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Vodka
08-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Blue Jackets are a solid team. I'm pleasantly surprised to see how far they've gotten in so short a time. Your boy Mason is awesome!

I'm a lifelong Capitals fan. My parents were had of the fan club back in the day, so I've had the pleasure of getting in close with the team -a lot- for most of my life. Plus they're my home team. Living in Crosbyland is a bit of a slap in the face, bu I'm not scared to pull my Caps jerseys out of the closet! Har!

Oldgamer
08-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Blue Jackets are a solid team. I'm pleasantly surprised to see how far they've gotten in so short a time. Your boy Mason is awesome!

I'm a lifelong Capitals fan. My parents were had of the fan club back in the day, so I've had the pleasure of getting in close with the team -a lot- for most of my life. Plus they're my home team. Living in Crosbyland is a bit of a slap in the face, bu I'm not scared to pull my Caps jerseys out of the closet! Har!

I bet you'd get beat up wearing that in Pit. :)

mohini
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I go hiking in Olympic National Park pretty often, mostly around the Lake Crescent area. My fiancÚ and I plan to get married there.

I am also an obsessive reader of webcomics (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?b=632).

Harwel
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Surprised at the number of hockey fans here. I was really hoping for the Jackets to do some damage in the playoffs this year, it's hard not to like Nash and Mason and I always like to see a newer team succeeding.

I have high hopes for my Bruins this season. I really think they're a contender. I also follow the WHL a bit and go to a couple of Seattle Thunderbirds games a year.

Playing is fun but I'm the worst skater in the world. I can't do a crossover turn or skate backwards at all. :redface:

Oldgamer
08-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Playing is fun but I'm the worst skater in the world. I can't do a crossover turn or skate backwards at all. :redface:

That was the hardest thing for me to learn too, I still am not real good at skating backward. I can speed skate and crossover really well, and usually let my momentum keep me going backward ... but I had the hardest time propelling myself backward :)

Tamburlain
08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Doing science, studying, writing and reading, translating Greek folk poetry, sitting on a bucket and strumming my mountain dulcimer, dreaming of goats and chickens and clouds... doing some vipassana, lam rim, and ashtanga yoga... hiking around cool places, traveling (rare chances that I get)... pissing off my conservative neighbors... OH, I used to love gardening, but my backyard is too full of tree-shade to do much of that these days.

And now that I have official permission from the high and mighty City of Richardson, Texas, I will be building a chicken coop in my back yard come autumn. My plans are to trade fresh eggs for willing participants in my gaming sessions.

Sascha
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Janine Melnitz (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001633/): I read a lot myself. Some people think I'm too intellectual but I think it's a fabulous way to spend your spare time. I also play raquetball. Do you have any hobbies?
Dr. Egon Spengler (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000601/): I collect spores, molds, and fungus.
Ghost Busters

(Watching the movie again, and couldn't help myself :P)

tesral
08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Doing science, studying, writing and reading, translating Greek folk poetry, sitting on a bucket and strumming my mountain dulcimer,

Where can I get music for one of those? I have one, but it doesn't get enough play time.

Oldgamer
08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
And now that I have official permission from the high and mighty City of Richardson, Texas, I will be building a chicken coop in my back yard come autumn. My plans are to trade fresh eggs for willing participants in my gaming sessions.

Man are you really going to piss off your conservative neighbors now ... not only will the noise of clucking chicken be bothersome ... but chicken poo smells awful.

tesral
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Man are you really going to piss off your conservative neighbors now ... not only will the noise of clucking chicken be bothersome ... but chicken poo smells awful.

My paternal grandparents ran an egg business. 3000 hens in a football fields sized "coop" and that was just one of the hen houses. They had four. Tell me about the smell.

Tamburlain
08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Where can I get music for one of those? I have one, but it doesn't get enough play time.

It depends on how you have it tuned. The most common song-books that I have found are for mountain dulcimers tuned to D-A-D, which isn't my preference. When I get home I'll quote you some of the titles, but I do remember that I ordered all of them from Ebay... found them, if memory serves, just by searching 'mountain dulcimer'.

OH, also, there are tutorials--some pretty good--on Youtube.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Hah! I wish I could take credit for thinking of that, but sadly no... There will be only two little Bantie hens, so I imagine their clucking will be disappointingly tepid. As for the poo, I can't say that I've ever smelled a large coop. The smaller ones don't seem to stink that much, at least not if you keep them cleaned weekly.

It's actually only one particular neighbor, and what usually works in a pinch is a little something I like to call "sheep skull." It works like this; whenever he's hassling us about something ridiculous (like not having my trees trimmed to his immediate satisfaction, or by allowing "satanic" trick-or-treating), I just mount a sheep's skull on a 7-ft. pole in our backyard, and pivot it such that it faces his Eastern window. Nothing quite says "mind your own business"... like pair of dead empty eye-sockets staring into your breakfast nook.

Oldgamer
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
It's actually only one particular neighbor, and what usually works in a pinch is a little something I like to call "sheep skull." It works like this; whenever he's hassling us about something ridiculous (like not having my trees trimmed to his immediate satisfaction, or by allowing "satanic" trick-or-treating), I just mount a sheep's skull on a 7-ft. pole in our backyard, and pivot it such that it faces his Eastern window. Nothing quite says "mind your own business"... like pair of dead empty eye-sockets staring into your breakfast nook.

:rofl:

tesral
08-12-2009, 04:33 PM
It depends on how you have it tuned. The most common song-books that I have found are for mountain dulcimers tuned to D-A-D, which isn't my preference. When I get home I'll quote you some of the titles, but I do remember that I ordered all of them from Ebay... found them, if memory serves, just by searching 'mountain dulcimer'.

OH, also, there are tutorials--some pretty good--on Youtube.{/quote]

Tuning is easy to change. I'll keep that in mind.

[quote=Tamburlain;102383]

I'll keep that one in mind too. Of course it requires one have a sheep skull, and sheep come by here and die so seldom.

Tamburlain
08-12-2009, 05:38 PM
[quote=Tamburlain;102383]It depends on how you have it tuned. The most common song-books that I have found are for mountain dulcimers tuned to D-A-D, which isn't my preference. When I get home I'll quote you some of the titles, but I do remember that I ordered all of them from Ebay... found them, if memory serves, just by searching 'mountain dulcimer'.

OH, also, there are tutorials--some pretty good--on Youtube.{/quote]

Tuning is easy to change. I'll keep that in mind.

I'll keep that one in mind too. Of course it requires one have a sheep skull, and sheep come by here and die so seldom.

Whu? You mean you just don't have some spares laying about? Sigh. Taxidermy is a dying art. ;)
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Okay, now home. Lessee... Anything by the great Jean Ritchie I can't recommend highly enough. Here is her dulcimer tutorial book (http://www.amazon.com/Dulcimer-Book-Jean-Ritchie/dp/0825600162/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250116998&sr=8-3) that comes with a good dozen traditional songs.

For DAD tuning, I used Mel Bay's First Lessons (http://www.amazon.com/Bays-First-Lessons-Dulcimer-Tuning/dp/B002HJBMT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250117178&sr=8-3). It comes with a useful CD.

Lastly, there is The Best Dulcimer Method (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Dulcimer-Method-Yet/dp/B000GZCK4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250117292&sr=1-1) by Albert Gamse. This is the one that was recommended when I was given the dulcimer.

To inspire you to give your dulcimer some more play time, check out this amazing duet of Mimi and Richard Farina doing Bold Marauder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6eAPLy13ZM). I say gaddam.

tesral
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Whu? You mean you just don't have some spares laying about? Sigh. Taxidermy is a dying art. ;)

Mutton isn't much eaten around here.

Okay, now home. Lessee... Anything by the great Jean Ritchie I can't recommend highly enough. Here is her dulcimer tutorial book (http://www.amazon.com/Dulcimer-Book-Jean-Ritchie/dp/0825600162/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250116998&sr=8-3) that comes with a good dozen traditional songs.

For DAD tuning, I used Mel Bay's First Lessons (http://www.amazon.com/Bays-First-Lessons-Dulcimer-Tuning/dp/B002HJBMT0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250117178&sr=8-3). It comes with a useful CD.

Lastly, there is The Best Dulcimer Method (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Dulcimer-Method-Yet/dp/B000GZCK4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250117292&sr=1-1) by Albert Gamse. This is the one that was recommended when I was given the dulcimer.

To inspire you to give your dulcimer some more play time, check out this amazing duet of Mimi and Richard Farina doing Bold Marauder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6eAPLy13ZM). I say gaddam.

About the most laid back version I've heard of that one.

I'll keep the books in mind.

Skunkape
08-13-2009, 07:26 AM
I recently purchased a digital SLR camera, so I've gotten back into taking photos. I used to spend quite a bit of time taking photos with my 35mm, but then the camera broke and it was so old I couldn't get it repaired, no parts were available.

So I kinda got out of the habit of taking pictures. I also used to take a lot of movies, but about the time I started doing still photography, I stopped doing movies.

Been thinking lately of setting up my video camera, to film me while I'm working on terrain, then post it on Youtube, but I've got to look into converting the tape into digital using my computer.

Pretty sure my video cards have the proper connection, I just haven't taken the time to research it yet.

tesral
08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Computer video cards do not. You need a special card to do the job. I have such an adapter.

This was found in five seconds of Googling.

http://dvr.about.com/od/capturetvwithacomputer/bb/bybcc.htm

Skunkape
08-13-2009, 08:49 AM
But I could swear the cards I bought have a video line in on them. Can't remember for sure though.

But it might have been line out, which would make sense for it not allowing video capture. Gotta check them.:biggrin:

tesral
08-13-2009, 01:10 PM
But I could swear the cards I bought have a video line in on them. Can't remember for sure though.

But it might have been line out, which would make sense for it not allowing video capture. Gotta check them.:biggrin:

Mine has s-video and DHI. But all are line out.

James Ruglia
08-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Besides RPGs, I'm a fan of Megaman games and Dynasty Warriors. Past that, I study martial arts and Japanese language.

MuslixtheMighty
08-15-2009, 09:58 PM
Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are such fun and awesome games. Koei is making a new Warriors game called "Warriors: Legends of Troy".

CEBedford
08-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors are such fun and awesome games. Koei is making a new Warriors game called "Warriors: Legends of Troy".

I love all of those games. While I do wish for a boost in the graphics or game play variety they'll continue to get my money and absorb countless hours of my time.