PDA

View Full Version : D&D Online game (Novice's welcome)

Q-man
07-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm still fairly new to MapTool, but I think I know enough to make a game work. So lets put that to the test and I'll DM a game in there.

If you're interested in a D&D game come on in! I've no problem with new players, either new to MapTool or D&D, and will do my best to answer questions along the way. I have various voice chat programs installed, but I don't have access to a public server to make use of them. So I'm inclined to go without, if its felt that they are needed we can discuss ways to make them available.

I'd like to play once a week, I put both Thursday and Saturday on the post since those are the best two days for me. Thursday would be a 7PM EST start time going until 11PM or Midnight EST, I have to be at work on Fridays so we can't go too long. Saturdays are a bit more open, we can either play in the morning or late at night. I figured I'd leave the time open and see when players are available.

-=- Update July 21 -=-
Just keeping a running list of who's available when. Hoping it will clarify when this should be scheduled:

Yukonhorror: Thursday: ? | Saturday: No (thesis) |
Ruki: Thursday: Yes (15 minutes late) | Saturday: ? | Halfling Rogue
mayhem2376: Thursday: Yes | Saturday: Yes |
Vastian: Thursday: Yes | Saturday: Yes (Preferred) | Tiefling Fighter
Gmoz: Thursday: Yes (Preferred) | Saturday: ? | Controller(Druid)
Dairun: Thursday: Yes | Saturday: Yes |
Chaaz: Thursday: Yes | Saturday: ? | Avenger (Striker)
adamgibbons: Thursday: Yes | Saturday: ? | Dragonborn Paladin

Ok so we've got a few more for Thursday than for Saturday, its looking like that'll be the day for it.

-=- Update August 11 -=-
The game is currently full. I am keeping a list of folks that were interested in the game for alternates in case one of the current players needs to bow out. I'd prefer if you contacted my by private message to let me know you're interested instead of replying to this thread.

yukonhorror
07-20-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't know if I could, because sat is sometimes set aside to finish my thesis.

However, our group just kind of pooped out for multiple reasons, and I am sure the members would want to play. Contact johnsoncake and Chaaz for more details.

Q-man
07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
I only want to meet 1 day during the week. I just put up both times so there would be some options. There are other times I could make it work, those were just the best days for me.

Ruki
07-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I have yet to play 4e, but would be interested in trying. Never used Maptool though. As for a day, Thursday....but I would be 15 mins late most likely, as I get off of work at 7est. I am usually only home on Saturday's 1/3 of the time.

mayhem2376
07-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I have never used maptool but i am available at those times. lol actually i have never played online at all.

Vastian
07-20-2009, 08:42 PM
I am good on both days but prefer saturday. and I as well know how to use maptool and would like to know on how you would like us to roll our abilities and which version we are playing

Gmoz
07-20-2009, 08:56 PM
I would be interested as well. I have used maptools in the past for 3.5 games, but don't have much experience with 4e. I have all the material for it though. Out of the two days I would prefer Thursdays.

Dairun
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
I would be interested I am available basicly all the time currently, though have never played any rp games other then free form rp (chat style with dice roller). Though im definatly willing to learn.

Thanks,

Dairun.

Q-man
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
I put up a blog post with the few rules and limitations I'll be subjecting players to. It lists the stat rolling rules, which allow any of the methods in the PHB. If you want to roll for your stats, you can just do it somewhere where I can see the dice results (forum post is fine, otherwise we can plan a character building session in maptool for it). The only class I don't have a book for is the Artificer, so I can't allow that once since I'd have no idea what you were doing.

We just need to figure out what day to play. Right now it looks about even on who wants to play on either of the days I suggested. If we need a tie breaker I'll choose Thursday since its easier on me (in other words, my wife rarely wants to do stuff on Thursdays and won't get upset if I'm playing D&D).

adamgibbons
07-21-2009, 07:44 AM
I would be available for play on Thursdays. I have Maptool, but don't exactly know how to use it.

gyrhawk
07-21-2009, 08:48 AM
I would be available Thursday evenings or Saturdays. It looks like the group is getting rather large, but based on the day you pick and like most groups some will drop out leaving a good round number of players. Just let me know what day you decide. I'm trying to learn Maptools as we speak. Been a Dnd player for a number of years, and have used klooge, but it doesn't appear as popular as I would like. Cheers.

Q-man
07-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Ok, I think there's enough responses that we can get a group together. Based on the availabilities listed I'm going to go with Thursday nights, from 7PM EST until 11:30PM.

Oh, and like an idiot I mentioned a blog post with rules, but neglected to add in any sort of link to it. So I'll try that again: go here to have to read it (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?b=540).

I'd like to cap the players at 6, unfortunately 8 people have responded. I'll need to get a final confirmation that you're willing and able to play. Just toss up a reply with a preferred character class or role that you'd like to play so we can start figuring out the group makeup as well. I'm not against some overlap, but if we have 4 barbarian requests someone's going to have to change.

Assuming that everyone is able then I'll have to make some cuts. There's no fair way to do that, so I'll be going by the timestamps on your reply and the first responses get a spot. That follows the list of responses in the thread with the exception of Chaaz who contacted me by private message. If I'm not mistaken the order is the same as the list on my initial post.

Keep in mind that I opened this games to folks unfamiliar to MapTools or D&D. So it might be a slow start while they are catching on to how everything works. Looks like most of you are familiar with the game and the tools so it shouldn't be a huge problem; but a few have said they are rookies so there may be pauses to answer questions along the way.

Ruki
07-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Yay for Thursdays! I hope my 15 mins of being late won't be too big of a problem.

As for character? I would probably prefer the human fighter for simplicity, or halfling rogue for personal preference. I can go either way, depends on which one is needed more. I lack the PHB2, so I will hunt that down tonight, not sure if my class/race selection would change based on that.

gyrhawk
07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I would like to play a human warlord.

On second thought I didn't realize this was going to be a 4th edition game and I don't have time to learn the new rules as I will be out of town this week on buisness. Sorry to drop out so soon, but didn't want to be the cause of trouble so soon in the campaign. Good luck!

Gmoz
07-21-2009, 01:22 PM
I am currently leaning towards controller. I have my eye on a predator druid.

Bob the Dalek
07-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Y'all got enough players or can I apply?

Q-man
07-21-2009, 02:50 PM
There's been enough replies that we might be full. I'm waiting for everyone to agree to the game time right now. Depending if anyone can't play that night there may be room.

Gmoz
07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I hereby declare my agreement on the game time. :)

Q-man
07-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I already had you in for it Gmoz, I took the posts about what classes to play as agreement. :)

Ruki
07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
But my 15 minutes of being late won't be a problem, right?

Edit: Ok, I will go with the Halfling rogue, because I am awesome that way.

Vastian
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
I am in for it
--- Merged from Double Post ---
I will go with tiefling fighter

Q-man
07-21-2009, 05:47 PM
But my 15 minutes of being late won't be a problem, right?

I don't have a problem with you being 15 minutes late. Thats not long enough that it will should be an issue.

Chaaz
07-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Thursdays are perfect for me. As to what role/class, I'm leaning toward a Striker, most likely an Avenger.

adamgibbons
07-22-2009, 09:47 AM
I would play a Dragonborn Paladin, aka a Defender.

Ruki
07-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't have a problem with you being 15 minutes late. Thats not long enough that it will should be an issue.

Alright, cool. Any specific way you want us to roll our stats (can we do that here?)? Wanna get my character done up ASAP.

Q-man
07-23-2009, 07:09 AM
So we've gotten 5 players confirming they'd like to participate. I'd like to give the others a chance to respond so we won't be starting this week (Thurs 7/30).

However, I will have the game room open tonight (Thurs 7/23) if you want to go over any questions, rules, or just get together and BS. It looks like we have a decent balance to the group (2 defenders, 2 strikers, and a controller), you're missing a leader but you can probably get by with Second Winds and the paladins couple heals.

As for rolling stats, I have that in my house rules blog post (http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/blog.php?b=540). You can use any method outlined in the PHB, if you choose to roll stats you have to do them where I can see the results.

I would also like if you had some back stories for your characters; its not required, but it helps me a bit if they are done. If I have stories I'd like to make the adventure relevant to the characters, so it'll be more custom. Without stories we'll just go through a series of modules, like the Scales of War path. Any background information can just be posted in this thread, or if you prefer a private message will work.

If you have any questions you can reach me here, or if you prefer my e-mail is vodobaas(at)gmail.com. I'm typically on GTalk as well with that address.
I guess connection information for tonight would be helpful:

Password: dnd
Address: rpg.mindlence.com
Port: 5123

Ruki
07-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Sounds good, will be there whenever I can get on.
Character done, and spent every last gold :D

UndeadJack
07-24-2009, 02:35 AM
if you do not get enough people i would like to play a elf druid :)

Q-man
07-24-2009, 07:09 AM
I believe we have 5 right now, but there was a few folks that showed interest but I haven't heard back from yet. So I'm not really sure how many there are for it. When we start up next week I'll find out for sure. If there's still some room I'll let you know.

adamgibbons
07-24-2009, 08:33 AM
I can post my character info and stats if you would like.

Ruki
07-26-2009, 11:54 PM
I am exited for Thursday now, everyone better be there >_>

gyrhawk
07-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I was just curious if you had had your first game yet, I dropped thinking the first game was going to be last thursday...looks like you haven't gotten everyone's character prefs yet though.
-gyrhawk

jm4ca
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
i wouldn't mind joining but im completly new. should i set up a charector first, and if so what is the be way/method/program to do that.

Q-man
07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
I was just curious if you had had your first game yet, I dropped thinking the first game was going to be last thursday...looks like you haven't gotten everyone's character prefs yet though.
-gyrhawk

The game wasn't supposed to start last week. I had intended to wait a bit more to make sure everyone had a chance to respond before starting. The first session will be this coming Thursday, July 30. I probably should have been a bit clearer with that date up front.

i wouldn't mind joining but im completly new. should i set up a charector first, and if so what is the be way/method/program to do that.

Right now I have 5 players that have said they can make it. A few others that showed interest haven't responded so I'm not sure where they stand. I'm considering the game full until the first session when I'll find out for sure how many players will be there. Assuming there is some space in the group I can contact you about filling in a spot.

adamgibbons
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Are you going to post the info to connect to you when thursday comes around?

Q-man
07-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Yes I will, it will most likely be this server
Address: rpg.mindlence.com
Port: 5123

I'll create a post on the day with the actual information once I get started with it. Also expect a post tomorrow with the starting information. What town you're in and why you've all gathered there. Sorry that took me so long, a few things came up over the weekend that kept me from getting it done then.

Ruki
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Remember, just let me get my sneak attacks in, and the party will always succeed.

Q-man
07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
A little background for the players:

For many years the town of Steeplefall had a quiet peaceful existence. Its a small farming village, that had seen more glory long ago. Its on the edge of a mountain range that many adventurers used to explore seeking dragon hoards and other treasure gathered by the goblins and orcs that live in mountain caves. Once the adventurers had cleared out a vast portion of the mountains there seemed little more for them to find, and the adventurers moved on. Then left behind many items and relics in the Hall of Great Valor, and the town carried on.

The goblins were never fully driven out, and it seems they are on the rise. A new champion has arisen in their ranks and is trying to organize them into an army. They've started attacking travellers on the roads around Steeplefall, and the outlying houses and farms. Their attacks are growing increasingly bold and they have recently struck the town itself. They stole several items from the Hall of Great Valor and captured 7 townsfolk.

The citezens of Steeplefall have called out for adventurers and heroes! They are offering rewards for the safe return of their kin, as well as the head of the new leader of the goblins. Mayor Jerek Olbrad is eager to hear from anyone that can put an end to the goblin raids.

Whether for the reward or to help those in need, you find your self heading to Steeplefall to respond to their cry for help. You arrive in the late afternoon as the town is preparing for a celebration or festival of some sort. A large bonfire and platform is being erected in the courtyard at the center of town. There are strawmen being placed all about the town, and all the villagers seem to carry a small stawman with them.Thats where we'll be starting. Whatever your motivations you've recently arrived in Steeplefall and are witness to their preparations. You are welcome to arrive in groups and already know some of the other PC's, if not I have a small event planned that should draw out the heroes and give you a chance for an introduction.

I'll be creating the MapTools room at 6:30 PM Eastern Standard Time time, I'd like the game to start at 7:00 PM EST. I'll be their early finishing my preparations for the game. The connection information is as follows:

Address: rpg.mindlence.com (71.60.80.247)
Port: 51234We'll start by finalizing characters. I have a bunch of macros that may or may not be useful to you that I'll review quickly, as well as the states and bars I've created in MapTool. Hopefully that won't take to long so we can get into the actual game.

A couple people have asked if they can listen in on the game; I've agreed to that so long as they aren't disruptive. I've asked them to send any questions as whispers so they don't interrupt the RP. I just wanted to give warning that we'll have a few lurkers in there as well.

Ruki
07-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Woo! Excited for tonight! I hope everyone can make it.

adamgibbons
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I plan to be there. That was at 7pm ET right? if so, then 4pm here.

Ruki
07-30-2009, 05:53 PM
About to leave work soon, so the room better be open when I get there *shakes fist*

Dungeonlord
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
i'm one of the lurkers that should attend the session. Unfortunately i tried for more than one hour to connect to the server without success. I even tried different combination: IP, address, different release of maptool(1.39, 1.45, 1.56) and with different connection, but i get stacked in a black screen saying "connecting". I don't know if other players experienced this problem or i'm the only one.

Anyway i hope you enjoyed the session and that next time i can give it a look.

bye

Ruki
07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I managed to get on fine. But yay! It was fun.

Hermi
07-31-2009, 03:55 AM
I was planning on lurking too but I couldn't connect. I figured I should stop trying in case there was a connection limit and I was blocking one of the PCs.

Chaaz
07-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Here is my character sheet for anyone who wants to see it.

Also, I felt a description was in order as well.

Having lost his voice due to past events, he wears a black bandanna tied around his neck covering the vicious scar. There is no doubt for anyone who sees the scar, that it should have been a mortal wound. When his leather jacket is removed, a visible tattoo can be seen on his right shoulder. It's meaning is not known at this time.

Sven wears a black leather jacket over black common clothes and a scabbard tied across his back containing a Fullblade. His hair is spiked up and back with a few spiked bangs handing down in his face. When he smirks or smiles, his elongated canines can be seen.

Cool and collect would be the best way to describe Sven's attitude. But, he adopts a surprising counterance when he becomes bloodied...

Q-man
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
I think the connection issues were my fault. When I put up the post initially I had some of the connection details wrong. Then I copied them into a couple more posts. About 15 minutes before the game the problem was pointed out to me, and I only corrected the details in the last post. I'm actually surprised anyone managed to get in with all the misinformation I gave initially. Sorry about the mix up.

For reference the correct information for the server is right here:

Port: 51234
Hopefully connecting won't be a problem next week.

The forum won't let me attach an HTML file, and the chat log looks a wee bit long for a post, so instead I put it here (http://www.mindlence.com/Files/DnD/Logs/4thScalesOfWar/07-30-09%20Session%20Log%20%28Trim%29.html). I stripped out all of the out of character discussions as well as the dice rolls. So its mainly just the dialog and a few of the typed actions. The combat portion might read a little strange since there's so little I left in.

I'll be going over the character sheets and updating a couple of macros today. Hopefully by tonight I'll get to send you all your tokens and the campaign properties so you can try and tweak the macros. If there is anything else you need drop me a line.

adamgibbons
07-31-2009, 10:50 AM
I created all of the macros I needed for my character attacks as well as my skill checks. I could use some of those other macros that we were using such as tracking HP, surges, and the various rests.

Edit: I found this website that helps create the macros for your powers. Just plug in the information and it outputs the macro code for you to just copy and paste into a macro. I tweaked mine a little but it will make them look like how Sven had his.

http://patoace.diinoweb.com/files/Maptool/Power.html

Ruki
07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I love the mute character, just means I have to talk that much more! Yay mouthy halflings! If people want, I will post my sheet as well.

RPGGamer
08-02-2009, 01:22 AM
Just wondering if I can still join this game.

Artelis
08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
yes, if anyone drops from this I would love to jump in.

KVZdemon
08-03-2009, 04:43 AM
I would love to play, i'm fairly new to 4th Edition though. But i have good thoughts on a character. Just message me if there is an opening. Thanks for the consideration if not.

Q-man
08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
Right now the game is full. I have been keeping a list of folks that were interested in joining in case a spot opens up. I'll add you guys to it, and contact when/if a spot opens up.

Q-man
08-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Chaaz asked me a couple of questions about how I handle attacks that I thought would be useful for everyone to know.

The way I normally handle NPC attacks is to announce who they are attacking, roll some hidden dice, and then announce if they hit and how much damage was done. Since you don't know what they rolled its a bit of a mystery if your defensive abilities would be useful or not.

Lets use the Wizard's Utility power Shield as an example. Its an immediate interrupt that adds +4 to their AC, Ref, and Fort defenses. The way this would work is I'd announce that the goblin is attacking the Wizard. Then I'd say the goblin hit the wizard for 5 damage, this is when the Wizard should say they want to use their Shield power and list what the effect is. I'll double check my attack roll based on the new defenses and let you know if it had any effect. If it didn't then I'll let you un-use the power, so that you haven't wasted it with no effect; otherwise it'll go into effect and the attack is negated.

In the case of something like the Ranger's Disruptive Strike where there is an attack as well, you still can use the power. It won't prevent the damage, but since there is still some effect so you may want to use it anyway. I'll still give the warning that its penalty won't change the outcome of the NPC's attack and you can still choose to not use it. There's one catch, once you roll the D20 for the attack I'm going to consider that your full decision to use it, and will count the power as used. So be sure you wait until I let you know if it will be effective before rolling any dice.

The idea is that your character is an experienced adventurer, fully aware of what situations their powers work best in. So I'm giving you a chance to have them evaluate the situation before using an ability. If it turns out that it wouldn't be effective there's no sense in wasting it. You may still want to do it for role play reasons and thats ok, you're allowed to do that still, but I wanted you to have a fair choice on it.

Welgar
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
I am brand new to 4E but I have played 2.0 to 3.5 so I think I'll catch on quick. I can play on Thursday Nights and all day Saturdays. I usually play a Dwarven Fighter

adamgibbons
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm looking forward to the next session this Thursday. It was pretty fun.

Q-man
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
I've got bad news, I need to cancel tonight's session. My mom had to be taken to the emergency room earlier today, and is scheduled for surgery later today. So I'll be at the hospital tonight waiting to see how that turns out. We'll have to wait till next Thursday to pick up the game again.

Ruki
08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
****, that is brutal dude. I hope she's ok :(

Dungeonlord
08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
hei the mom first. see ya next week

Q-man
08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
After the health concerns were cleared up we should be back on this week. We'll have two new folks joining us this time around, I'll be in touch with them soon to go over how I'd like to handle their introductions. As for the rest of you, you had just noticed a bunch of goblins which you'll probably need to deal with in some way.

Hope to see you all on Thursday.

Ruki
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
"In some way".....you mean by chopping their heads off.

Necron99
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I would like to play if a spot opens up. Keep me in mind :)

Q-man
08-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Thats certainly an option. You might also turn tail and run or try to negotiate with them. Admittedly those options are highly unlikely.

adamgibbons
08-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I don't think the halfling would do very good at talking with the goblins. He might say that, but my guess is to get closer so he can chop off their heads.

Ruki
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I can talk! I will talk their damn ears off! Tell them how awesome I am.

sonicx99
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
i don't know if you're still accepting players, but i'd like to play either a human warlord or a human ranger... i've got both characters at the ready... i'm good for both those days and times, and i'm also a little new to DnD 4e and the programs but i've already a little experience under my belt. Please pm me the info or whatever... =]

adamgibbons
08-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Well Ruki, I just figured that if you were the strongest halfling from you village that you would just cut their heads off (or at least try) rather than talk their ears off. Then again, us Dragonborn would be better at it. Lol.

Q-man
08-12-2009, 08:36 AM
A couple of updates for tomorrow night. I spent some more time fooling around with more macros, so I'll have some new stuff for you guys to have a look at, when I create the room I'll have new tokens for your character loaded already. If you've made some adjustments already we can work out some way of putting everything together, or if you'd like to work on that in advance let me know and I can send you the new stuff.

We'll also have two new players joining as well. They'll be introduced in the first encounter, so we'll have to make a slight change to what you heard in the perception check at the end of the last session:

Off to the west you hear cries for help almost hidden amonst some savage cries from goblins. You can also hear running approaching the town. As you look down the road to the west between the buildings you can make out many humanoids quickly approaching the town.

So the party will consist of:
Adamgibbons: Heskan the Dragonborn Paladin
Chaaz: Sven the Shifter Avenger
Gmoz: Gelktar the Dragonborn Warlord
Ruki: Jenic the Halfling Rogue

Dungeonlord: Unnamed Halfling Rogue (name wasn't on the sheet, so it'll be a surprise to us all)
Rylie: Fararael the Elf Ranger

I'll start the room around 6:30 PM EST, but we're not starting until 7:00 PM EST. Again the correct connection information is as follows:

Port: 51234

Dungeonlord and Rylie, you'll need images for your characters. If you send them to me I'll setup the macros that I've been working on. It only takes about 15 seconds, so you can just bring the image tomorrow night and we'll take care of it then. So long as you have a picture picked out we'll be fine.

A few other things to mention, mostly because if I don't write it somewhere I'm liable to forget. Ruki will be about 15 minutes late and Rylie will need to step away for 30 minutes around 9:00 PM EST.

Chaaz
08-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Sounds good Q-man. I'll see everyone tomorrow.

Ruki
08-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Someone stepping on my halfling rogueness? Oh snap. Oh well, he won't be as strong as me....*flexes*

adamgibbons
08-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Oh dear, 2 halfling rogues! :doh:

Ruki
08-12-2009, 11:35 AM
But only one of them is a total badass.

Here's a hint: It's me.

adamgibbons
08-12-2009, 02:09 PM
At least one thinks he is a badass, it has yet to remain on whether the other is.

Q-man
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Just to ask, do any of you have any back stories for your characters? I'm guessing there's more to the story of Jenic getting kicked that just his super-strength. I'm planning out some plot hooks and adventures to put your guys through, and I figured I'd look into ways to make them a bit more personal to the characters.

As the game progresses we'll get to know the characters better, so its no big deal if you didn't prepare one. I can always adapt things as we progress. I just figured I'd ask so I can start prepping for it now.

adamgibbons
08-13-2009, 09:39 AM
I'm going to need to leave for about an hour shortly after the session starts so I can pick my wife up from work today.

Q-man
08-13-2009, 10:14 AM
How soon after will you need to leave? I'm just concerned that we may be in the middle of an encounter when you have to walk away. As the defender you'll likely be right in the middle of the enemy keeping their attention; we can't really have you disappear then.

I'm not saying you can't go pick up your wife, just that we'll need to work something out if you need to duck out mid-encounter. If necessary (and you're ok with it) I can take over your character for the duration of the encounter, then he'll just silently follow the group until you get back.

Ruki
08-13-2009, 10:16 AM
The DM can control him as an NPC!

As for backstory, nothing really....was planning on making it up as I go. Although I think Jenic will just be telling tall tales, with the truth being a lot less exciting >_>

adamgibbons
08-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, it will be about 15-20 minutes into when the session starts cuz of the drive to get here. Like I said it will be about a half hour drive there and then back and I will be there for the rest of the session.

adamgibbons
08-14-2009, 09:35 AM
As a backstory for Heskan: He is on a self-imposed exile from his homeland for "rebelling" against their traditions. His tribe are nomadic barbarians, but Heskan received a vision from Bahamut telling him that the tribe was corrupt. He tried to make the tribe elders change their ways and they were very angry with him. He left before they could banish him and he wondered til a crusader took him in and trained him to be a Paladin.

Ruki
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Screw everyone coming over to help me, I wanted to kill those 5 goblins by myself, it would have been an amazing feat of awesome.

Q-man
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure you'd have gotten them all down. Pretty soon I'd have gotten you flanked all over and they'd have starting bringing you down. Since a bunch were minions you might have put up a good fight.

Also I'd like to say that next fight that has a bunch of minions, no dragons breath please. That ruins about all of my tactics with them. :wink:
The log for last night's session can be found: Here (http://www.mindlence.com/Files/DnD/Logs/4thScalesOfWar/08-13-09%20Session%20Log%20%28Trim%29.html).

Again I want to apologize for all the delays and interruptions. I knew I was on call and it might be like that, I just didn't want to cancel two weeks in a row. I'll try to make next week go a little bit smoother.

I think I'm just about done with the macros I'm going to add. So there shouldn't be any new changes coming. If you have any questions about whats already done let me know. Also if you have any suggestions or requests pass those along and I'll see what I can do.

That said I just want to remind you that you don't have to use the macros, they are there for convenience only. I just ask that you keep the defenses and hit points accurate so that I know what your status is. If you'd prefer not to use the macros past that, thats perfectly ok; or if there is some other set you like better we can make that work too. Just let me know you want to handle your rolls.

Gmoz
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I just wish I had saved my breath for when I ran over to ruki. So I could have caught him in it too.

Hermi
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Also I'd like to say that next fight that has a bunch of minions, no dragons breath please. That ruins about all of my tactics with them. :wink:

I was actually quite surprised when I saw all the Dragon's Breath use - I had always assumed it was a Standard Action, not minor! I'd say it's one of the most powerful racial abilities actually.

adamgibbons
08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
It's just one part of why I like Dragonborn. There are other reasons, but I won't go into detail here.

Q-man
08-17-2009, 01:08 PM
The breath weapon is pretty nice, and its obviously got some uses. There are ways I can counter it, specifically not using minions as heavily. I'll just throw waves and waves of brutes at you guys and see what happens to the breath weapons :wink:

Actually I have it in mind to tweak the minions slightly. Instead of 1 HP give the creature a quarter of its normal health and call it a minion, or require the attack to do some minimum amount of damage (say 5 to 10 points minimum) before it dies. This way they'll go down easy, but won't make area attacks seem so epic.

Chaaz
08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
The breath weapon is pretty nice, and its obviously got some uses. There are ways I can counter it, specifically not using minions as heavily. I'll just throw waves and waves of brutes at you guys and see what happens to the breath weapons :wink:Or (What I have experienced in another campaign) minions with Temp HP (Due to Leader buffs) or Damage Resist. :bolt:

UndeadJack
08-21-2009, 03:19 PM
i would like to be a deva shaman which is a leader role =)

adamgibbons
08-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Do we have the experience and treasure from the advenure so far?

rylie
08-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I haven't been given any XP yet, and I don't remember if you or Chaaz were going to keep track of all the loot we've found so far.

adamgibbons
08-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Well, I was keeping track of the party treasure as I had Character Builder and they have a spot for Journal Entries that can track treasure. That and since I'm pretty much the party leader I figured I would (also not sure if I trust Jenic with the treasure, lol).

rylie
08-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I wouldn't trust Jenic with it either. That halfling takes more credit than he deserves, he'd probably do the same with the loot.

kalton
08-23-2009, 07:28 AM
hey i would really like to get in on a game.

Q-man
08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Sorry for the delay getting this to you, meant to put it up on Friday but work got in the way again. Anyway, you guys found 8 Shortswords, 4 Longswords, 2 Longbows, 23 arrows, and 23 gold pieces on the goblins. Which I think Heskan picked up.

For fending off the attacking goblins, helping the townsfolk put out the fire, questioning the imprisoned goblin, and an RP bonus you earned a total of 1440 experience; so 240 XP for each of you. This brings your totals to 315, since the first session you earned 75 each. I know that Rylie and Dungeonlord weren't in the first session, but I'd like to keep everyone even at least until we get the group members sorted out.

Speaking of which UndeadJack will be filling in the empty spot in the group. So we're back to full again and even have a leader role in the group.

One last thing, the chat log (minus all the OOC comments and dice rolls) can be found here (http://mindlence.com/Files/DnD/Logs/4thScalesOfWar/08-20-09%20Session%20Log%20%28Trim%29.html).

adamgibbons
08-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for posting this. I had already gotten all of the treasure recorded.

It'll be nice to have a leader for the healing purposes, because I can only do so much for the party during combat.

Q-man
08-28-2009, 11:55 AM
You guys cleared out two rooms worth of goblins, a couple of archers are waiting for you on the other side of a door. For all the combat you earned 900 XP, so 225 for each of you. This brings your total to 540, just over halfway to level 2.

You searched the first room and found: 2 short blades, 2 hand crossbows, and 2 flails. You also come across 15 gold pieces in your search.

We closed up before any of you searched the second room, I assume that will happen so I'll just tell you what you find. 3 short swords and 1 flail along with another 8 gold pieces. There were a pair of foot lockers in the rooms, so those we'll have to look through next session.

Since it was mainly combat, I'm not going to bother with a chat log from it. I do have one, but there won't be much left after I cut out the rolls and out of character stuff. Instead I'll just post the interesting information you came across last night.

What Xenohart saw at the cave:

You were wandering the woods when you came upon this scene: A human in tattered clothes runs out of this cave, a few goblins come out soon after chittering loudly. Then they fire arrows from their bows at the human. By their expressions and sounds you can only assume they were laughing as they came over and picked up the injured human and dragged him screaming and bleeding back into the cave. Not long after that A dragonborn, 2 halflings, and and elf appear around a bend in the trail and bump into you.

The rest of the party also happened to be at the same cave:

You follow the hobgoblin captive's instructions and walk for nearly 2 hours and just as you come to the final turn in the path you're following you nearly trip over a deva who's staring at a small cave in the rocks with an unhappy expression.

After a introductions are made you go into the cave:

As you approach the cave you see that its no natural hole in the ground, you'd guess that it was carved long long ago and maintenance has been pretty poor. Its showing signs of wear as you walk in.

Just inside the door you see this:

As you enter the cave you can see a corpse chained to the wall to the side of the entrance. Its hung from high on the wall, based on the number of arrows in and around the corpse you can only assume it was used for target practice.

After the goblins were killed you inspected the corpse:

From the brief descriptions Mayor Olbrad gave, you gess this one might be his assistant, you can't be sure with all the injuries.
The chained prisoner is wearing tattered rags. You can't find anything personal or identifying items.

adamgibbons
08-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Alright. I got all of the treasure recorded from this session as well.

Dark
08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Shouldn't this be placed in the play by post and not the Campaign invitations as the game is underway?

adamgibbons
08-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Play by post is still a different category than this one. We aren't doing play by post, so this really wouldn't belong there either.

Dark
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Fair enough.

adamgibbons
08-31-2009, 12:01 AM
I vote that next time that the defender goes down in a fight, that the defender gets healed first. Just my opinion on the matter.

Q-man
08-31-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey! Jeff healed you before anyone else did, he'd have been there sooner but the archers nearly killed him too.

Although, normally when I'm handling a PC all I'll make them do is keep out of too much danger and use At-Will abilities. So the Heal skill is something extra. After two save failures something had to be done.

adamgibbons
08-31-2009, 07:35 AM
True! It was definitely better than dying!

UndeadJack
08-31-2009, 10:09 AM
also i can only do so much healing

adamgibbons
08-31-2009, 10:30 AM
I know, but I can assist with that if I'm able to as I have healing powers too.:)

Q-man
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, next week I need to cancel the game (September 10th). I managed to get tickets to the Steeler's home opener, so I'm not going to be playing that night. Go Steelers!

adamgibbons
09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
So this week's game is still on so far?

Q-man
09-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Yup, so far as I know we're still playing on Sept. 3rd.

adamgibbons
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I may or may not be late due to a doctor appointment, but I believe it is early enough that it shouldn't be an issue.

rylie
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I would like to point out that when you got hit, adam, and you were brought down to almost no HP, I stepped in front of you, so you wouldn't be killed my the archers. I was doing the best in the group with HP, (besides Jenic, but he's selfish anyways) so I tried my best to defend the party, even though I almost died myself.

adamgibbons
09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I know you tried to help as best as you can. In the end, defeating the enemy as quickly as possible is sometimes the best way to save me. I thank everyone for the game regardless. I will also have to be more careful and maybe a little less conservative of my healing surges. Should have spent one more in the short rest before heading down the hall. So that is my own fault.

Q-man
09-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I heard back from DungeonLord, he's moving to a new timezone which won't work with our game night. So unfortunately he won't be able to play with us anymore. So Jeffrey will be leaving the party. We'll just assume he decided that the adventuring life isn't his style so he leaves the dungeon to pursue a new career.

adamgibbons
09-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Do we want to replace him or leave it be?

Q-man
09-03-2009, 07:16 AM
You guys still have 4, which should be enough. I'm sure finding another replacement won't be too difficult though.

I am starting to get concerned with all the folks dropping out. Not sure if we're just in an awful time slot or if the campaign is already getting boring :confused:

adamgibbons
09-03-2009, 07:43 AM
I didn't think the game was boring Q-man. I know I was enjoying it. I say keep up the good work!

rylie
09-03-2009, 05:38 PM
No, it's not our time slot, it's not your game, it's that most people are useless flakes.

Q-man
09-04-2009, 10:24 AM
RPGGamer is up for joining our campaign. He's asked to play a Dragonborn Ranger if everyone is agreeable to that. I'll be concocting some means of working him into the party for the next session, which should be September 17.

RPGGamer
09-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Hello there, guys. Yeah, I'll be joining the group. Like Q said, I'll be playing a female Dragonborn ranger (despite that I'm a male. I'm doing this for roleplay purposes.)

adamgibbons
09-05-2009, 10:22 AM
That's fine with me. Don't mind another female character at all. Just don't mind the halfling.

RPGGamer
09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome. If there's anything you want to know about my character, let me know.

adamgibbons
09-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Just a general background would be good for the most part I suppose.

RPGGamer
09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Not really much of a background. She came a tribe of dragonborns and left to become the best ranger she could be. I can't really think of anything really exciting. I have finished making a character sheet for her, though and Q is looking over it.

Q-man
09-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Just a reminder, but we're on for tomorrow night! I'll have the room up around 6:30 PM, but we're not going to start until 7 PM EST.

Jenic, Heskan, Fararael, and Xenohart were in the ruins the goblins are living in. At some point early in the session they'll be meeting Perra, the dragonborn ranger.

adamgibbons
09-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Looking forward to it. Especially now that my in person group is no longer playing!

RPGGamer
09-17-2009, 07:23 AM
I'm looking forward to tonight's game as well.

adamgibbons
09-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Well, it would seem that I won't be able to make tonight's game as I have to pick my wife up from work and then take her to her suport group. I apologize to the group.

UndeadJack
09-17-2009, 02:13 PM
cant wait for tonights game

enjaze
09-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi dunno if you are looking for any more people, but if you are I'm interested.

adamgibbons
09-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Sorry that I missed the game tonight. How did everything go?

Q-man
09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi dunno if you are looking for any more people, but if you are I'm interested.

We are currently full right now. I'm keeping a list of alternates in case someone has to bow out of the game. I'll add you to the list.

Sorry that I missed the game tonight. How did everything go?

I ended up playing your character for the night. You met Perra a dragonborn ranger, actually you saved her from a couple of goblins that were trying to recapture her. Then the party stumbled into a pair of spectres, which they killed. Right when those died a gelatinous creature appeared in the room, but then I had to go so we stopped there. We'll resume next week with that Jello fight.

I'll be putting up a post with the experience you guys earned. Also they found some goblin clothes a fancy bow for Fararael and a set of armor. The armor is +1 Razor Armor, which Heskan graciously offered to carry since it seemed a bit heavy for anyone else to lug around. See page 231 in the PHB, but its Plate instead of Scale.

adamgibbons
09-18-2009, 09:12 AM
That and I am the party pack mule. Lol.

I don't know if any of the other characters can wear plate armor, so I'm going to go ahead and take the +1 Razor Plate Armor.

UndeadJack
09-22-2009, 02:54 PM
yea adam go ahead no one else can

adamgibbons
09-24-2009, 06:33 PM
So I guess you are running late or something Q-man. Let us know if you get up soon or I guess we will have to try again next week.

Q-man
09-25-2009, 07:44 AM
I apologize for last night. I got stuck in the G20 insanity when trying to get home from work. If you ever catch wind of this happening in your city its time to move....

Assuming everything here in Pittsburgh isn't destroyed by the protesters we'll be back on next week. Again sorry for not getting you guys some notice, its hard to get online when stuck in traffic for hours.

adamgibbons
09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
No problem. There are things that are beyond our control that can work against us.

UndeadJack
10-01-2009, 07:03 PM
so whats tonights game looking like?

Q-man
10-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Alright guys, I think I'm going to have to end this game. I'm not happy about it, but its been such a scheduling mess ever since it began. Work has me scheduled for being on call the next couple of Thursdays so I'll be intermittent for a while which won't help things at all.

I may start up another game later on when things settle down again. Thanks again for playing, and I apologize for ending the game so quickly.

adamgibbons
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Well, thanks for the time that you gave us though. Kind of sucks that it is closing down like my in person group did. Good luck with everyone that participated.