PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft PBP: Looking for players

Arkhemedes
07-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Hey there. After several weeks of preparation I am now ready to try and put a play by post together for the Ravenloft setting, something that a few of us in the Gardens of Stone group have been trying to do for some time now.

For anyone who is unsure what Ravenloft is, it's a demi-plane and a campaign setting based on Gothic horror and utilizing Pathfinder (a.k.a. D&D 3.75). This particular PBP campaign will focus largely on mystery solving and roleplaying, with an occasional combat every so often. You need not know a thing about Ravenloft (I'll let you know anything important) and we'll be starting off with 1st level characters.

I don't need a lot of players to start off. In fact I intend to start with just one character and gradually introduce others as they come along. As for the frequency of posting I'm thinking about once every three days but this can be altered depending on what works best for the players.

One thing that I do ask right from the start though is that anyone who is interested, I would prefer that you not discuss any specifics on this thread about the kind of character that you would like to run other than the character's race and whether or not it is a Warrior, Divine Spellcaster, Arcane Spellcaster or a Rogue. This is important.

For more information, please either send me a PM, post your questions right here, or go to the Gardens of Stone social group (and join it if you need to) - there you will find much more about the PBP under the New Domain Lord thread and other threads.

Cardboard Tube Knight
07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Hm, without giving too much away. I would have to say that out of everything here I would probably be taking the Warrior or Rogue. I have experience running multiple characters, actually up to four.

And I would really prefer to play by 3.5 rules. I have pretty much every 3.5 supplement there is in digital format and can supply them if need be and I wouldn't mind starting the game alone.

Arkhemedes
07-19-2009, 10:44 PM
We are going with Pathfinder and when making up characters use the following rules:

For ability scores use these numbers as your dice rolls, making sure to place 3 numbers in each and every ability score:

(2 6s, 7 5s, 5 4s and 4 3s)

The final ability scores can range from as high as 17 to as low as 9, which means that they will be above average scores, but I've always felt adventurers in Ravenloft should be above average.

For equipment use the average starting gold for your class then add 25 gold. I would prefer you buy equipment individually rather than use a starting package. Write all of your equipment out and figure up the weight. I do use encumbrance rules and in my campaigns if an item is not written down then you don't have it and it can't be used.

When you have a charcter sheet filled out, send me a PM. I'll then give you an e-mail address so you can send me a copy of the character sheet. And remember, don't give out any clues about your character on this thread other than what I've noted above.

Cardboard Tube Knight
07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
So basically we just add those up and go from there? I see. Do you care about gender? And you said Humans would be standard? I might be a mixed race though.

Arkhemedes
07-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Gender makes no difference . Half-elves are fine. But there are no orcs in Ravenloft, so as far as mixed race half-elf is it.

Cardboard Tube Knight
07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
No Orcs? That's odd, but I didn't really want to play a Orc. I will bang out a little sheet for her and I will run it by you.

Cardboard Tube Knight
07-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Alright, I emailed my character sheet, sorry for the wait. Its just a text file.

Arkhemedes
07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Got the character. Looks good at first glance. I'll have more time to take a better look at it later in the week. We'll have to make a couple of changes on the languages to make sure you have the ones you need (which are specific to Ravenloft). I'm also going to post some info on the starting place and hopefully a map, so you can have more to go on if you want to do anything in particular for the background. Unfortunately I may not be able to do this until this weekend, as my week is pretty filled up. But I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Cardboard Tube Knight
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM
Yeah I wasn't sure of the languages and all of that kind of stuff. Really I spent so much time getting the weight on my supplies down that I didn't get to the other parts.

Arkhemedes
07-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Not a problem. Realistically, I'm sure it'll be a week or two before we actually get started, though I'll do everything I can to get it going soon.

Arkhemedes
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
We are currently nearing the end of our first chapter in this pbp. This means we will soon be reaching a point where I can introduce new players and new characters. We have room for a couple of players. So if you're interested send me a PM or post here.

Nat_20
03-22-2010, 03:15 AM
I'd be down if possible...

Its 3.5 D&D? and whats the big differences for ravenloft?

Arkhemedes
03-22-2010, 07:40 AM
It's actually Pathfinder (a.k.a. D&D 3.75). As for what is different, I have a lot of information about the campaign in the threads of the group if you can locate that. With this new format I'm having difficulty locating it myself. But if you're interested, send me a PM.

Mathenius
03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
I would be willing to give it a go. Never played the Pathfinder system. But would be willing to give it a try.

Elbryon
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I have played Ravenloft in 2e and I have the 3e book but haven't played the pathfinder at all. If you find youself short a player or two I would be interested in giving it a try.

Arkhemedes
03-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, someone dug up this old thread and suddenly I have all kinds of people interested in the game! Cool. I do have room for more. So here is the deal:

We have been playing this play by post for the past six months or so. You certainly don't need to know what has taken place up to this point (although you are welcome and even encouraged to read the game threads to learn what has happened so far), and you don't really need to know a thing about Ravenloft (I have a lot of info on the setting written in the various threads). But it would be advisable to either purchase the Pathfinder rule book or download the free pdf of the Beta rules (which can be found at Paizo.com after registering there). If nothing else, you could make a 3.5e D&D character - but I would have to convert it to the Pathfinder rules and make some adjustments.

If this sounds acceptable to you, your next step will be to look at the actual play by post threads to get an idea of what the game is about and find out how to make your character (do not follow the rules above as they are incomplete and not up to date). To find the play by post threads click on the Forums button at the top of this page. Then scroll down to the Hosted Forums section. Under that find the Play By Post section. Then look through the sub-forums there until you find Dead of the Night. That is the game and all of the important threads.

Look through the threads there and read as much as you want. The more you read the better prepared you will be. But there is a lot to read and as I've said, you don't need to read it all. The most important things to read will be the Rules thread, particularly posts #2 and #5. They will tell you pretty much everything you need to know to make your character. To learn a bit about the Ravenloft setting, particularly the area where the characters will start out, take a look at the People, Places and Events thread.

Once you have done this, send me a character and an idea (at least) for a background. And if you have any questions, please send me a PM.

Drumjab
03-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Howdy everyone. I play in Ark's PbP Dead of the Night and we get together for a F2F game. I just wanted to let everyone know that if you were hesitant about purchasing the physical Pathfinder core book ($50 on bookstands, about $35ish on Amazon and other websites), they do have a full PDF version of the core ($10) on the Paizo website, along with the free PDF's of beta and conversion from 3.5 that Arkememdes mentioned.

Just throwing the info out there. Good gaming to all.