PDA

View Full Version : How'd you get your Username?

Oldgamer
07-17-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm sometimes curious as to how people come up with their Usernames, some people have personal reasons they wont say and I respect that.

But if you don't mind sharing ... how's you come to yours?

Mine was because I'm a skydiver and free fall is my favorite part of the jump... so I chose freefallin ... that was taken. So I used my wife's day of the month she was born ... 13 ... that was taken. I then used the same with mine, 06 so that 1306 would be after freefallin ... guess what, there were at least 1308 other freefallin's out there :) So I chose freefallin1309.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-17-2009, 04:43 PM
I wanted Oldgamer, but some jerk already took it. :eek:

Who wants to make a guess with mine? :confused:

Arkhemedes
07-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Good thread idea Oldgamer. But I'm a bit confused. You say your Username is freefallin1309 - so what is "Oldgamer" and is there anything to tell there?

With me, Arkhemedes was the name of my favorite character, who started out as the slave of a Red Wizard of Thay, at first level, and eventually, over many years of play, became a 25th level mage and easily one of the most powerful wizards in the Realms. The name is an alternate spelling of Archemedes (the famous Greek mathmatician) because that name had already been taken. Note that I said alternate spelling rather than mispelling - this because the man's name was, of course, originally written in Greek, and any anglicized version of it is merely someone's translation.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

I believe Genesplicer and I have already debated yours Thoth. Thoth-Amon is the name of an evil sorcerer in Robert E. Howard's Conan novels. But you have yet to confirm whether or not this was where you got the name.

MuslixtheMighty
07-17-2009, 05:14 PM

*raises his hand* OOOH! I know! I know!

Dytrrnikl
07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Dytrrnikl (die - TUR - nichol) is my very first 2E character name from '89. I came across this dice rolling method to generate a name in a dragon magazine, I think, you rolled a d6: on a 1,2, or 3 you rolled for a consonant, a 4 or 5 was a vowel, and a 6 ended the name; the d6 for vowels (1-a, 2-e, 3-i, 4-o, 5-u, 6-y), then d20 for the consonants starting with 1-b, 2-c, and so on. The result was my firs character name, a 2E druid in which I stopped playing when he reached around 11th level.

yukonhorror
07-17-2009, 06:08 PM
my buddy made me a sticker. It was sort of a mix of that REALLY bad dude from the Doom video game and some other stuff that I can't remember. On the sticker, it said "Yukon Horror!" I had that sticker on my wallet until my wallet disintegrated.

I have always liked image brought up when I think of yukonhorror, so it is the username I use when I don't use my name.

outrider
07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I used to be one of the Outriders for Games Workshop(40k and Fantasy battle). I would go and demo their products and get more toys for doing so. I did this for nearly 10 years until GW decided that we as a group could justify the cost and cut out the program. GW has taken a big nosedive since them.

Decided to use the moniker.

kavvov
07-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Mine is my last name using the Greek alphabet. I was hard pressed for a login one time and it sort of had a fantasy look to it so I stuck with it.

RoryN
07-17-2009, 06:25 PM
It's just my first name, last initial. Not very original, true, but at least I can remember it. :biggrin:

Freejack
07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm a big computer geek and like Shadowrun a lot (well, the cyberpunk genre but Shadowrun specifically).

When it was time to join the site, I was in the process of going from an ex-gamer getting rid of my gear to a gamer again. I happen to like a movie with Anthony Hopkins, Mick Jagger, and Emilio Estevez;

http://www.schelin.org/stuff/freejack.jpg

The name was available and here I am. I've since renamed my gaming accounts so I'm Freejack here, on Dumpshock, and on rpg.net.

Carl

Bob the Dalek
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Freejack was a cool movie. I think it was alone in the category until Strange Days.

Bob the Dalek is this little red dalek from my wife's webcomic.

Doom Crow
07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Mine is the nickname for a forgotten realms' prestige class for priests of Talos, the stormlord.

korhal23
07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
Korhal IV (commonly only called Korhal) was the planet of Terrans in Starcraft that rebelled against the Terran Confederacy.

The 23 comes from my love of reading up on crazy conspiracy theories.... the 23 Enigma being one of my favorites (because it's positively insane, yet fairly widespread anyway)

Webhead
07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
I first used "Webhead" as my online handle when I joined the Atomic Think Tank which is the official message boards for the Mutants & Masterminds RPG. Spider-Man is one of my favorite super heroes and "Web-head" is one of my favorite of his plethora of nicknames. It seemed an appropriate choice for a super hero RPG site, so I tried it and it stuck. I'm a proponent of keeping things as consistent (and thus easy-to-remember) as possible, so as I've created memberships elsewhere on the web, I've taken my username with me.

Not much more to it than that, really.

Sascha
07-17-2009, 11:44 PM
"Sascha" was chosen just after I graduated high school, used for Unreal Tournament at first, then crept into everything else I did. It's certainly nothing like my offline moniker.

(Seriously. Birth name is kTTncRZy87. What were my parents thinking?)

Oldgamer
07-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Yep, Oldgamer screwed up. I had just left another forum that my membership is older than here where my username is freefallin1309 and I began posting here :o I realized it too late and my ISP has been down until now to try to clarify myself :)

Oldgamer came from me being on WotC threads where everyone on there seemed to be young, or at least people over 21 were in the minority for a while so I felt like and Oldgamer ... sorry Thoth :biggrin:

Skunkape
07-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Co-workers gave me this name because everytime I went to visit my in-laws down in Miami, they'd have one of these sighted in the paper.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/Myakka_skunk_ape_2.png/353px-Myakka_skunk_ape_2.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_ape)

Oh and I live in Florida! Doesn't quite look like me, but with my long hair...

traesin
07-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Traesin is short for Teresianathalisa James Dalael. She was my very first character when I was 16. I had just gotten done reading Dragon Lance, hence the VERY long name. I still have that old character sheet too. I wish someone would let me play her again, but she's a little to powerful now. oh well I'll stick to her being a NPC.

cpljarhead
07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
simple, i was a cpl in the usmc and the nickname of marines are jarhead so there you go

kantou
07-18-2009, 11:26 PM
I got my name when i was deciding for a name in general for any game, so i started to look up japan dictionary's and found out the region for japan area, and liked the name to it. ^^

Grimwell
07-19-2009, 01:42 AM
A long time ago, but in this very galaxy...

I was asked to help a friend develop a DIKU mud in the very early 1990's. I needed to choose a name for my dev character and started running through things in my head until Grimwell popped out. I've used it ever since.

CEBedford
07-19-2009, 09:44 AM
See my parents got married and when two people love each other...

...anyway long story short, I was born, I was named, and here I am. :biggrin:

Sadly all my "clever" names are on other websites. I've had names inspired by my love of the undead, my favorite DnD psionic power, and my love for the movie The Big Lebowski.

Oldgamer
07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
simple, i was a cpl in the usmc and the nickname of marines are jarhead so there you go

Lol, yours was one of the easy ones to figure out :biggrin: At least for me.

Razmus
07-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Back in 1987 or so, I started clubbing people with sticks in real life for fun (SCA). I needed a name, and liked Erasmus from history, and kinda fell into a persona of an ex-monk during the Hundred Year War when the church was doing all it's ugly schism thing, black plague was devastating the world, and it was pretty much Armageddon. Given that literacy wasn't high on anyone's list during the 14/15th C, I butched the spelling slightly, partially so the first initial would be the same as my mundane name. (Well, I butcher it regularly for fun too... Rasimus, Razmus, Rasmus... it's all the same.)

So anyway, as anyone from the SCA will tell ya, the first name you are introduced to people with is the name they will call you by, basically forever. (I occasionally check to make certain my kids know my real name in case they need it at some point.) So, I'm Lord Rasimus Wiese, known as Razmus the Innocent, and have been for... well.. decades.

jade von delioch
07-19-2009, 10:52 AM
First role playing character i ever played was an assassin named Jade von Delioch

Oldgamer
07-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Back in 1987 or so, I started clubbing people with sticks in real life for fun (SCA). I needed a name, and liked Erasmus from history, and kinda fell into a persona of an ex-monk during the Hundred Year War when the church was doing all it's ugly schism thing, black plague was devastating the world, and it was pretty much Armageddon. Given that literacy wasn't high on anyone's list during the 14/15th C, I butched the spelling slightly, partially so the first initial would be the same as my mundane name. (Well, I butcher it regularly for fun too... Rasimus, Razmus, Rasmus... it's all the same.)

So anyway, as anyone from the SCA will tell ya, the first name you are introduced to people with is the name they will call you by, basically forever. (I occasionally check to make certain my kids know my real name in case they need it at some point.) So, I'm Lord Rasimus Wiese, known as Razmus the Innocent, and have been for... well.. decades.

I was born the same day as one of the cats my mother and I had as I grew up ... she called him Rasmus :) Me being an infant, could not pronounce this and we ended up calling him Baby Kitty :laugh:

Q-man
07-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure when it started, but it was a long while ago, but I started making all my characters start with the letter Q (Quevek, Quintus, Quillig, Quorl, etc). Then everyone just started calling me Q during the games. As Q seemed a little short for a screen name I tacked on the man since I am one and just went with it.

It has nothing to do with that guy from Star Trek, which seems to be the popular guess.

Chavic
07-19-2009, 03:49 PM
My user name Chavic is a combination of my parents names, Charles and Vicki. My parents were always into unique (and/or uniquely spelled) names and they nearly named me Chavic. I have liked the name ever since they told me about it and use it often ad a user name.

MuslixtheMighty
07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Dytrrnikl (die - TUR - nichol) is my very first 2E character name from '89. I came across this dice rolling method to generate a name in a dragon magazine, I think, you rolled a d6: on a 1,2, or 3 you rolled for a consonant, a 4 or 5 was a vowel, and a 6 ended the name; the d6 for vowels (1-a, 2-e, 3-i, 4-o, 5-u, 6-y), then d20 for the consonants starting with 1-b, 2-c, and so on. The result was my firs character name, a 2E druid in which I stopped playing when he reached around 11th level.

I am kinda curious now.
*Pulls out his dice and rolls a d6.*
"6"

So, I have no name.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
My brother asked me to come up with a name, using only the name of cereals, for a medieval fantasy themed character on the spot.

"Muslix the Mighty!"

Dark Clown
07-19-2009, 08:30 PM
One of my favorite movies when I was younger was the Crow, a man driven by vengeance who painted his face like some gothic clown.
Then, Nicholson came along with his rendition of the Joker, yet another crazy clown.
And my advanced literature teacher told me I had a morbid sense of humor after reading a piece of creative writing that had been an assignment.

So they all just came together: Dark Clown

I have another username that I frequent: Euliclese. A mix of Ulysses from the Odyssey, and Hercules from myth...with a different spelling. lol

RAD7atmosphere
07-19-2009, 08:32 PM
RAD is just a thing that my friends had and followed by a number. My favorite number is 7. I used to be really into the music group Atmosphere and I just thought the name was really cool and usually not taken. It used to be c0D3y for the longest time b/c my name is Codey but I got bored of it. I think I'm just gonna go by Atmosphere from now on though.

emblasochist
07-20-2009, 10:50 AM
To be perfectly and completely honest, I stole it from a person who used it as a character name back when I still played WoW. I just saw it in passing and started using it for most everything I can; only on gmail and AIM has someone used it where I would want to. Interesting thought, to me anyway, is the fact that everywhere I use it, the letter e has always been lower-case. I realize that it probably has to do with the fact that I am so lazy that I don't even want to press the shift key when entering the name in online forms, but I think I will start to use it as a character quirk when I use it as a character name: emblasochist cannot speak in a raised voice.

deathboy
07-20-2009, 11:15 AM
I've been using deathboy, or variations of deathboy since just before I met my wife, back in '99. It came from a Vampire LARP that I played in as my character was a Catiff with necromancy. When I came into game fully costumed I looked like one of The Strangers from Dark City, just a little more twisted. I actually scared people silly. Though I don't have the outfit anymore I am still asked every so often to put the gear back on for either a night on the town or for a party.

winslon
07-20-2009, 11:16 AM
WINSLON, is the character I have played the longest. Lots of history, and fun times with him...But mostly I chose to use this name everywhere I go, because there is a paladin out there somewhere, that pisses his boots, evertime he hears it :)

Harwel
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Harwel was actually my old EverQuest shaman back in the day. He was a Barbarian, which any old EQ players now is vaguely Nordic. So (having a bit of knowledge of norse runes myself and knowing that each futhark rune has its own esoteric meaning) I put together a bunch of runes that had some meanings that I felt were pretty shamanistic, and made a pronounceable name with them. It thought it sounded pretty good, so I kept it. It became a name I recycled a lot through various games and characters, and I used it for game forums, and it just became my online handle. I have yet to find a forum or game where it's already taken. It's fairly uniquely "mine".

Bearfoot_Adam
07-21-2009, 11:55 AM
When I was a camp councilor my camp name was Bear. IT was supposed to be Barefoot because at the time I really enjoyed barefoot hiking but since at camp we had to wear shoes at all times I dropped the foot part. The name really stuck. Even after camp some of the councilors wouldn't call me by my real name. So I fused them.

tesral
07-21-2009, 01:43 PM

BBG Wizard in the Conan the Barbarian series. Made his appearence in the very first book. Phoenix on the Sword. (And I didn't have to look it up). Sourced from a couple of Egyptian names. Amon being the chief god of Thebes and the power of his priesthood one of the prime reasons for the Armama heresy.

Tesral? Important character in my Thindacarulle setting. Again when faced with the need for a name when getting on the net. "Phoenix" had been my BBS handle for many a year. But that word is far too common. I decided to go with a particular Phoenix in my game. Tesral the Just, the oldest of the major NPCs in my world.

I still sign out with the same sig line I used from the local BBS days. Way before this Internet thing happened.

Malruhn
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
I once had a D&D character named Malruhn - a VERY round Ranger (1st/2nd Edition) with an 18/00 strength. He quickly became my favorite character - and I found that I had accidentally named him "Gold blade" in some flavor of Elven language. He began using gold for his chosen color - golden colored ringmail and everything - to include blanket. Since he slept on the military crest of hilltops (not the tippity top, it's as far down as possible and still be able to peek down the other side), when his Elven traveling companions went to wake him, his great girth, covered with a golden-colored blanket, looked like a "Golden Sunrise" - and the name stuck.

Through the evil mechinations of a truly wonderful DM, Malruhn witnessed a dear friend get lured into a life of evil and ultimate possession by a demon. Malruhn was forced to slay his dear friend to free them from the demon (no rez possible).

I've used Malruhn as a handle for well over 25 years.

thomaswhodoubts
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Mine's easy. My RL name is Thomas, and Doubting Thomas was taken. Besides being my saint, he's also a model of healthy skepticism.

Genesplicer
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
I was in college, and was creating my first e-mail account and needed a name. I had just started in Rifts, and did not yet have any memorable characters to use as names. However, my favorite part about Rifts was that you could make up anything you want, come up with some stats, and play it as long as the GM was ok with it. I had a really good GM, who had a talent for helping people make sure their creations were balanced, and would work in game. In the TRIAX Sourcebook, there are a group of evil aliens called The Genesplicers who kidnap people and alter them or just create random genetic critters for no apparent reason and then just let them go. They became my favorite character background. Where did that freakish monstrosity of a character come from? Oh, the Genesplicers made it. So when I made my e-mail account, I used Genesplicer. Oddly enough, someone else had beaten me to it, and Hotmail popped back with the moniker with a number tacked on the end of it as a suggestion. I don't remember what the number was, but I didn't want to just be a spot in a sequence, so I decided to pick my own number. I chose 38, just kind of plucked it out of the air, and became Genesplicer #38. I still have the e-mail address lo these many years later, and I use it for a lot of my online stuff, although I drop the number of whenever I can. I eventually learned to create in depth character backgrounds, but like a first character, the first background I used became a classic in my mind, and I occasionally still resort to it just out of nostalgia.

So anyway, my name comes from several of my favorite characters' backgrounds, rather than the characters themselves

cplmac
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Nothing earth shattering here. Cpl Mac is what I was know as while in the USMC. I have just used it for my user name on just about any site that I am on.

drewshi
07-24-2009, 07:47 AM
My last name is Drew and that's what everyone in high school called me because there are too many John's in the world. Some of the girls called me "Drewshi" and it just stuck.

Jame Rowe
07-24-2009, 09:00 AM
For my first post...

My username breaks down thusly:

"Jame" from my first name, "Rowe" from Bek Rowe in Terry Brooks's novel Ilse Witch. I thought of it when I joined that forum, and began using it on every forum where I could change my name.

Say ... I don't suppose there's someplace on here where I could ask if there are players in the Greater Boston Area of Massachusetts?

Oldgamer
07-24-2009, 10:48 AM
You could go to the Introductions forum and introduce yourself and tell where you're from and your interest. And you could also go to the Campaign Invitations forum and post as Player in Boston seeking game.

Jmkeylon
07-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Jmkeylon.... J = first initial M= Middle innitial Keylon = last name

CEBedford
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Jmkeylon.... J = first initial M= Middle innitial Keylon = last name

Simple yet effective. :biggrin:

Jmkeylon
07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
haha indeed.

Kaewin
07-24-2009, 11:44 AM
Really cool Ranger pc name. He was a good Ranger. I use it on all the message boards I go to. So if you see it elsewhere it could be me.

Genesplicer
07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Say ... I don't suppose there's someplace on here where I could ask if there are players in the Greater Boston Area of Massachusetts?You could also try the social group listing, and see if there is a group for Boston in general. Most of the major cities seem to have a subgroup here at PP&G that is dedicated to helping people in their imedeate area find games and players.

I for one, live in DFW, and we have a group here on PP&G for Dallas & Fort Worth, plus our suburbs of Mesquite, Plano, Denton, and others I'm sure. There's bound to be one for the Boston area, and they'll have a forum for LFG and LFP posts just for the Boston area.

Jame Rowe
07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
You could also try the social group listing, and see if there is a group for Boston in general. Most of the major cities seem to have a subgroup here at PP&G that is dedicated to helping people in their imedeate area find games and players.

I for one, live in DFW, and we have a group here on PP&G for Dallas & Fort Worth, plus our suburbs of Mesquite, Plano, Denton, and others I'm sure. There's bound to be one for the Boston area, and they'll have a forum for LFG and LFP posts just for the Boston area.

Thank you for the advice. Though I did look in it, and didn't see one - but then again, I may have seen it and not recognized it.

Then again, I could see about starting one...:eek:

Angelus_Nox
07-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I've always liked angels (to the point where there's a winged species in my SciFi game), and always had an affinity for darkness (the physical absence of light, not some metaphysical, superstitious "OMG ITZ DARK IT MUST BE EVEL" kind of darkness). So early on, I decided to use the name Angelus whenever possible (Angel just got me mistaken for a girl). Due to personal reasons, I then considered changing my name and thought of a surname. Upon reading that Nox was Greek for night (in a review of the game of the same name), I had my pseudo-sur-nym.
Usually, when I register somewhere, I'll try Angelus. If that's taken, it's either AngelusNox or Angelus_Nox. If either's taken, I have other spare names.

Exciting, eh? :ranger:

Oldgamer
07-25-2009, 10:07 AM
I've always liked angels (to the point where there's a winged species in my SciFi game), and always had an affinity for darkness (the physical absence of light, not some metaphysical, superstitious "OMG ITZ DARK IT MUST BE EVEL" kind of darkness). So early on, I decided to use the name Angelus whenever possible (Angel just got me mistaken for a girl). Due to personal reasons, I then considered changing my name and thought of a surname. Upon reading that Nox was Greek for night (in a review of the game of the same name), I had my pseudo-sur-nym.
Usually, when I register somewhere, I'll try Angelus. If that's taken, it's either AngelusNox or Angelus_Nox. If either's taken, I have other spare names.

Pretty cool actually, kind of a funky way to say Dark Angel :) Or Angel of the Night.

korhal23
07-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Don't know your opinion on MMOs, but from the beta I can tell you Aion is quite fun (it has an angels/demons theme if you haven't heard of it). You should check it out sometime.

That is a neat way to say Dark Angel though

Angelus_Nox
07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks, I'm kinda surprised by the positive feedback :)

Yea Aion looks terrific, but I'm not at all fond of pay to play games (as in monthly fees).
Hence, I chose GW over WoW a few years ago. Wasn't that great either.
I guess I'll see if I can score a demo or sth once it's out.

korhal23
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
If you drop the money for a preorder, you can get into the beta immediately, and you'll get a couple of days head start on the live game (I don't remember how many), plus of course the first month to try it out. I hope they have RP servers to the game, it's a very deep world that I think would be a blast to RP (I used to RP in both WoW and Conan when I played them)

emblasochist
07-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Isn't Hyborian Adventures now defunct? I heard that it was, and I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would still pay for it...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Good game, good modules, and the setting is nice. Besides, it is easy to make homebrew modules to add to the game. I've since altered it to the WFRP setting, which in my opinion, makes any dark and gritty fantasy game even better. It's like adding jalapeno peppers(grittiness) to any dish(fantasy rpg).

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:27 PM
personally I thought the concepts for age of conan were excellent! I liked the idea of having three different attack options and using these to create combos. however, the uninteresting item designs ((and lack of finances)) caused me to drop that one.

korhal23
07-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Isn't Hyborian Adventures now defunct? I heard that it was, and I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would still pay for it...

No it's still running and actually it's sitting around 300k subscribers, slowly gaining thanks to a recent push to market how much they've improved. They have definitely improved a lot. It runs smooth now, and a lot of bug fixes and balance have gone into it, and the leveling process is now without the giant gaps you'd have to grind through at launch. Unfortunately for Funcom, like Windows Vista, no matter how good you make it now, the name is already tainted, even for/especially for the folks who've never played it before.

Jmkeylon
07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
I look forward to being able to use directx10 with it! I'm upgrading to windows 7 when it comes out! ((already pre-ordered it)) perhaps I will reinstall AOC and give it another shot... hopefully my toons are still around!

Oldgamer
07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd like to get AoC actually, I didn't know it was around until coming upon it searching for something on Robert's Conan a few weeks back. And then while watching The Big Bang Theory on tv the other night, Sheldon got Penny hooked on it .. .the whole show was about AoC and addiction to MMO's. Does anyone else watch this?

Arkhemedes
07-26-2009, 02:02 PM
The Big Bang Theory is actually one of the very few TV shows I watch any more. Great show.

Clerical_Errer
07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Mine I stole from the card game munchkin, its a card that gives you a a lvl up right away. It has a cleric doing wrong math to get a higher ability score.

Ezequiel
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM
I honestly haven't a clue where I got my username from. It's just a funky spelling of Ezekiel, I guess. :confused:

Tamburlain
07-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Mine is taken from an Elizabethan play 'Tamburlaine' by Christopher Marlowe, known for its humanist themes. As a name, it's an anglicization of Timur "the Lame", the Scythian Shepherd who came to rule most of Eurasia.

Oldgamer
08-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Mine is taken from an Elizabethan play 'Tamburlaine' by Christopher Marlowe, known for its humanist themes. As a name, it's an anglicization of Timur "the Lame", the Scythian Shepherd who came to rule most of Eurasia.

I was wondering when you were going to join in here :) I was curious, I hadn't heard of it and knowing you, it would be intellectually connected to you as well as probably obscure :biggrin: *this is meant as a compliment*

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Thriondel Half-Elven. Well thriondel came from a LOTR name generator. and i added half-elven because that is my favorite race to play. play THE once in a game. and am in the works of a book about him

Tamburlain
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I was wondering when you were going to join in here :) I was curious, I hadn't heard of it and knowing you, it would be intellectually connected to you as well as probably obscure :biggrin: *this is meant as a compliment*

LOL! Okay, taken as one!

Oldgamer
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Thriondel Half-Elven. Well thriondel came from a LOTR name generator. and i added half-elven because that is my favorite race to play. play THE once in a game. and am in the works of a book about him

I thought you were Tanis's long lost blood brother :biggrin:

LOL! Okay, taken as one!

:laugh:

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Ishcumbeebeeda became my username because I was sick of having to try a thousand different names to find one someone hasn't already used. The origin of the "word" is somewhat interesting though: I was in a graphic arts (photoshop, which I wound up teaching the teacher how to use after about a day and half, even though I'd been using it for a grand total of two days) class in highschool when I suddenly became aware of the song stuck in my head. (I literally cannot think of a time in my life when at least one song wasn't running in the background of my mind.) I realized I couldn't remember any of the words, but the tune was just jammed right in there, so I started to fill in where the words were supposed to be with nonsence sylables. (The song, for those who are interested, was "Making Christmas" from The Nightmare Before Christmas.) The next day, during study hall, my friend's computer froze (macs don't freeze my ... backside) and I pointed at it and half-yelled Ishcumbeebeeda. Et, viola! It was working fine. A few days after that I was walking up the hill form my bus stop with an aquantance who lived just up the road and it was deathly hot! She was complaining about there never seeming to be any wind except in the winter in Vermont, so I raised my arms all dramatic-like and said Ishcumbeebeeda! And I almost s**t my pants when the wind started blowing! She gave me an odd look and refused to believe that I wasn't some kind of Voodoo priest or something for the rest of the time I knew her. So, when the time came that I was getting an email and joining all kinds of sites I finally got sick of my various name-pun related usernames being taken and tried the word I'd invented. Every now and then I google it and as far as I can tell I'm still the only Ishcumbeebeeda on the internet. :biggrin:

Vodka
08-03-2009, 03:43 PM
I like vodka. A lot. I also wasn't feeling too creative at trying out fitting special character names when I signed up, because that can wind up taking hours for me.

mrken
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
My user name is easy. Same as my nick name, which is a take off of my real name. As my wife and sister have noted anytime I am where young kids are kids will soon be hanging out nearby. I have been called a kid magnet by more than a few people. Some of the kids have a hard time pronouncing my last name, so, it became Mr. Ken rather than using my last name. That was like twenty five years ago. Kinda hung on.

Ishcumbeebeeda
08-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Back in 1987 or so, I started clubbing people with sticks in real life for fun (SCA).

Hail to the Heavylister! First of all, wow, I was born in '87. Now that that somewhat awkward reminder of time marching on is past, my SCAdian name used to be Ullgar. (Roughly translated as "one in service to the archer god Ull.) Though I became somewhat bored with the SCA around my area, I still occasionally hear a shout of "Hey Ullgar!" form accross campus and I still respond instantly. :lol:

Thriondel Half-Elven
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought you were Tanis's long lost blood brother :biggrin:

:laugh:

Ya long lost. My brother is Gilmaldor Half-Elven

NarutoAngel221
08-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I do get my username from anime series naruto ....After watching naruto I got addicted to it already

Talmek
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
The user name Talmek came about from my very first Dungeons and Dragons' character, Talmek Anvilbreaker. He was a dwarven cleric of Moradin, and he died from a crashing blow from an ancient Red Dragon.

He will never be forgotten. Hence, my P&PG user name.

Moritz
08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I used my own name - Moritz.

Mead
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Mead the Mighty was my longest-played character, an abysmally moronic 2nd ed fighter that I started in 1992 (also Deacon Mead in one campaign - think Jason Stackhouse plus Andre the Giant - he wanted to be a cleric so bad, and I don't even remember if an 8 Wis allows that). I always played him as being completely disinterested in his own survival or even most of his surroundings, but he never got killed. Spent a lot of time in the negs though.

Then about 10 years ago I got into mead brewing, made a few batches, then slacked off and lost most of my equipment to lack of sanitation.

Harwel
08-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Mmmm, mead brewing. Even easier than making beer and man is it good. Haven't made a batch in over well 10 years though. :(

MortonStromgal
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2009/04/09/marton-stromgald_1.jpg

I won my first magic game with that card.
I then changed it to Morton Stromgal for a Dwarf Fighter I made
Morton has been a fighter, cleric, and paladin but hes always a dower dwarf...

mohini
08-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I got Mohini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini) from living with Hare Krishnas in Hawaii for six months in 2008. They are all about chanting the infinite names of God, and to speak, hear, or see one of these names is spiritually purifying. Mohini is the name of God in feminine form, and means "enchantress" or "mesmerizingly beautiful."

I don't really believe their dogma, but I figure it can't hurt, and I like the sound. It's also fun that when people search it, I'm so far down the list as to be pretty much invisible.

Wraith
08-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I used to work security for a major bank building in Columbus, and one night, while the cleaning crew was making their rounds, I surprised one girl three times on three different floors. She turned around and boom, I was there!

She swore I was a ghost because she never heard me...

and a Wraith was born!

Wraith

tesral
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I got Mohini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohini) from living with Hare Krishnas in Hawaii for six months in 2008. They are all about chanting the infinite names of God, and to speak, hear, or see one of these names is spiritually purifying. Mohini is the name of God in feminine form, and means "enchantress" or "mesmerizingly beautiful."

I don't really believe their dogma, but I figure it can't hurt, and I like the sound. It's also fun that when people search it, I'm so far down the list as to be pretty much invisible.

I'll have some respect for them when they help the widows of Vrindavan

mohini
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I'll have some respect for them when they help the widows of Vrindavan

Yeah, they also said that evolution was a lie.

MarshamSane
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Marsham Sane, was the first char I made with 'random name' in neverwinter nights.

James Ruglia
08-16-2009, 10:13 PM
"James" is my own name, and "Ruglia" is the surname that Ramza Beoulve in Final Fantasy Tactics took for a time. Japanese sources explain that it was his mother's maiden name.

Then the PSP version's retranslation went and made it "Lugria". Grah.

Lucifer_Draconus
08-17-2009, 06:35 PM
It's based on the name (Lucifer Drake) for a character for some fan-fic I was going to write but never got around to doing so. I figured if I dropped the -ke ending & added -conus to it , it'd be more fantasy-ish.I use : Lucifer Drake on Sci-Fi/Modern/Horror based RPG forums & Lucifer Draconus on the Fantasy ones.

MarshamSane
08-17-2009, 07:11 PM
interesting, also: congrats on surviving in Hillsboro

Azar
08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Mine was my first character, Azar was a Fighter/Mage, who eventually was granted one wish from the gods, it was immortality, but they wouldn't allow it exactly, he grew old in the realm he was born, and when he eventually died, he was recreated in a new realm, same body, but young. He lost his memory everytime he was born again, but he could gain all his memories back if he did a quest that the gods would set up for him. Long and confusing, I know, but he was a great character and can easily be replayed whenever. : )

BSU_Mike
08-18-2009, 02:36 AM
BSU is for my college (Ball State) and my name is Mike. Yep, nothing fancy or anything. Sadly, it's not nearly as fantastical as others, but it's functional.

tesral
08-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Functional works. Functional was the main reason behind my name.

templeorder
08-18-2009, 10:52 AM
mine (templeorder) can refer to either the Knights Templar or the Templi Orientis [OTO] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordo_Templi_Orientis)...

Of course it referes to the former and my infatuation with their story. Long before any of these recent spat of movies came out, i read Holy Blood Holy Grail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_Blood_and_the_Holy_Grail). I've been to Oak Island, i've been all over Europe to various templar sites in western europe, including out of the way places like Balantrodoch (http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20655565). Unlike most armchair conspiracy theorists, i've visited countless historic sites, took in the visuals, felt the hostory and spirit of the place, and thought deeply. I don't have to talk about it here, but i would say its one of the topics i know quite a bit on (i'm no authority figure) but i've spent a lot of money to learn about the templars... including talking to some of the thelema devotees/OTO to get their perspective.

Crossroads_Wanderer
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I love the concept of crossroads and backroads in D&D. It's the kind of thing that sets off my imagination and finds me staring into space thinking about how I'll use it when I DM. :)

When I signed up for the wizards site, my previous D&D-related name, ranger_of_the_unicorn_run, was too long to fit, so I came up with Crossroads_Wanderer.

XeroDrift
09-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Honestly, I dont even remember, XeroDrift has been my pseudonym for so long the "why" of it is lost in the fog of memory, it was probably nothing very profound though, I imagine it just sounded "cool" to a kid in his early teens. I havent really felt it suited me for a long time now, but you know what they say about old habits... (maybe THAT would be a good name...)

thomaswhodoubts
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Honestly, I dont even remember, XeroDrift has been my pseudonym for so long the "why" of it is lost in the fog of memory, it was probably nothing very profound though, I imagine it just sounded "cool" to a kid in his early teens. I havent really felt it suited me for a long time now, but you know what they say about old habits... (maybe THAT would be a good name...)
Have anything to do with Gibson's Count Zero, perchance?

Law
06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
My last name begins with the letters "Law". It is also what my students used to call me behind my back (among other things).

"I am the Law!"

:D

Richard Littles
06-01-2010, 05:53 PM
My parents thought it was a good name...

moonwalker
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
My username is moonwalker. I use this username from Michael Jackson Moon Walk, so that Michael Jackson will always be with me in my heart and my mind forever.

thomaswhodoubts
06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
My parents thought it was a good name...Wow - you use your real name? That must be confusing!:lol:

tesral
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I have one of those...somewhere.

cplmac
06-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I have one of those...somewhere.

One of what? A real name or a confusion?

tesral
06-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Yes

Richard Littles
06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Wow - you use your real name? That must be confusing!:lol:

:lol: It can be sometimes, but that's due to my old age. :)

Blydden
06-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Yes

:twitch:

Anyway, Blydden, is in fact, my middle name. And I love it. Thank my parents I guess.

Blydden is supposed to be celtic for "wolfstrong"...did I mention I am a grade A wimp?...Oh well, at least I have the appetite of a wolf! *om nom nom nom nom*

=====Point of No Return=====

I remember my first account with "Blydden". It was Blyddenstar, my RuneScape account. (I played RuneScape before it started sucking, FYI.) I tagged Blyddenstar onto MapleStory then I believe.

Then for my 3rd MMO I jumped onto, (the 3rd one I can recall anyway), Mabinogi, I guess that is when I started using Blyddenhonor.

I remember I tried Blyddenwing once, but that was soooo long ago I haven't a faintest memory of why now.

I remember I variated with the letters a little, making things like Blyydden, or Blyden...

Of course, eventually, the tags of "star", "honor", and "wing" were dropped, along with the letter mixing-up and now my username is just Blydden, plain and simple.

And if anyone steals my username they will perish.....:)

Matt James
06-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I got my username from an extremely cool and bad-ass writer/game designer. Rumor has it he is cooler than the 3-wolf moon shirt...

Plus, Vork grabbed my butt and the only thing I could do was smile gleefully... :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/gameworldinteractive/DND/vork.jpg

wilver
07-24-2010, 06:23 PM
It was the name of a linux box I had as a grad student; my adviser had named it after Willie Stargell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Stargell).
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Stargell)

Death Rattle
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Death Rattle came about when I was in the computer lab in highschool, one of my teachers was really progressive and used webtools even before they became mainstream. We were creating twitter accounts and, I was originally going to use DeathHymn, my handle for....pretty much everything up to that point, but of course, it was taken. After about 15 combination on the word Death, I came up with Death Rattle, and now I use it pretty much everywhere.

spotlight
07-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Spotlight? It was my first Champions characters name. I use it regularly on other game association sites.

TheGumbieCat
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
T.S. Elliot Poem.