PDA

View Full Version : BRP Magic

AnotherShadow
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Ok i am absolutely confused on how the magic works and i have the book and i am unable to find anyone in my area that can help explain it. I am just confused on how it works how much magic you start with etc. The basics can anyone help.

Harwel
07-17-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't have my book with me, but as I recall each type of magic has a section at the beginning that explains how much magic for that type based on the "power level" (normal, heroic, etc) that the GM wants for the campaign. Depending on the campaign, not all magic types may be available. Most characters will only know one type of magic.

Does that help any? I can be more specific when I get home and have the book handy.

AnotherShadow
07-17-2009, 06:39 PM
That does help, what i am confused about is when it mentions that characters receive so many types of magic that is what was confusing me, and on the magic it selves if i understand right the level or ranks of magic( its not in front of me i dont remember exactly ) if i understand it right it means that depending on the amount of magic used is how many ranks/levels is used?

outrider
07-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Whats the name of the book? If it is BRP basic role play. Your power stat determines how many power points you have. I would need to look at my books for any additional information

AnotherShadow
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
BRP Basic Roleplaying and BRP magic, i know that pow is your magic im just confused what exactly they mean by you recieve so many types of magic i believe that was the Basic Roleplaying book not the magic book or i could be confused on that too.

fmitchell
07-18-2009, 01:00 AM
The GM ultimately decides what types of powers exist in his world. I believe there's also a recommendation that each character only get one type of power (magic, psychic, sorcery, etc.).

The beginning of each section of magic describes how many spells/powers/skills characters should start with, based on the power level of the campaign among other things. (For example, characters need POW 16+ to use sorcery.) The chapter on careers also suggests which types of characters should have magic powers (e.g. Wizards, Shamans), although if you want a high-magic world a la Glorantha you could give everyone a spell or two.

AnotherShadow
07-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Awesome thank you all i have this in the bag now.

Skunkape
07-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Awesome thank you all i have this in the bag now.

If you're interested, there's a BRP forum site that's quite helpful. Not that I'm trying to take away from Farcaster's site, but you can get plenty of advice on the game over there.

BRP Central (http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/)

AnotherShadow
07-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh thank you very much, i had no idea that was there, i agree i love this site too much but if i have questions that i need a professional for i will go there.