PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MRE's?

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
What's your favorite MRE's from our current and ex-military? Or even civilians who've had the pleasure *cough* of eating these finely crafted cuisines for those without stoves :)

I'll start ... mine was Jumbalaya.

As a great Lich once said ...What say you?

goladith
07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Hmm, I loved the sloppy joe one...cheese tortellini...Hmm, chilimac was good too.

Fersboo
07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
When I was in I would eat any of them except the dehydrated pork patty. I'd have to say Beef Stew was my favorite, with the Franks and Beans came in a close second.

goladith
07-16-2009, 01:13 PM
EH....the newer beef stew isn't very good. It is alright, but the last few years it has gone down hill, I had a 2004 beef stew in basic training, it was good, but each year it just didn't taste the same year after year.

Fersboo
07-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Be thankful that you didn't have any late 80's chicken ala king. :sick::yuck::alien:

goladith
07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Heh, I heard there was a memo saying to stay away from the cheese and the seafood MRE's during the first Gulf.

Q-man
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
What's your favorite MRE's from our current and ex-military? Or even civilians who've had the pleasure *cough* of eating these finely crafted cuisines for those without stoves :)

Never actually ate the stuff in them. We just had a lot of fun with the heaters. Dumpe them in plastic bottles, add some water, tighten the cap and throw it out in the convenience store of your choice. Wait across the street for the bang and the panic.

Not that I'm suggesting anyone should try that.

korhal23
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
I know the WORST one was the vegetarian omelet. But it came with Pop-Tarts and a bunch of other sweet stuff, so it was a debate...
I liked the chicken tetrazini though.
Sad news for you, Oldgamer, Jambalaya is gone now.

kirksmithicus
07-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Be thankful that you didn't have any late 80's chicken ala king. :sick::yuck::alien:

Yup, I had emaciated, illiterate Somalia children throw them back at me, because they were that bad. :eek:

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
I know the WORST one was the vegetarian omelet. But it came with Pop-Tarts and a bunch of other sweet stuff, so it was a debate...
I liked the chicken tetrazini though.
Sad news for you, Oldgamer, Jambalaya is gone now.

:( A sad day. When did they stop making it?

Yup, I had emaciated, illiterate Somalia children throw them back at me, because they were that bad

You had to watch what Somali's throw back ... I saw some Army guys from an Engineering Bttn who would piss in their water bottles and toss the bottles into the crowd ... the Somali's, being thirsty and hungry, would gulp it down without realizing it at first ... when they did, they got quite angry and began returning the favor with their own and throwing it back sans lids.

Fersboo
07-16-2009, 06:05 PM
.........guys from an Engineering Bttn who would piss in their water bottles and toss the bottles into the crowd ........

Engineers: Stupid is as stupid does.

Engineers: We're bat shit crazy and we confirm it every single day.

goladith
07-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Ugg...damn engineers....I used to curse them everyday at work when I was in the Air Force.....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
I ate them when i was in ROTC. Wish i could remember my fav's, but it's been a while.

cpljarhead
07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
hey i had it and it was better than most of the stuff we had to eat back then. in fact the only truly edible stuff were the pb and j crackers and the fruit dehydtrated or the fruit cake. although the ham steaks ( spam) was not too bad. usmc 1986-1993 active duty. and yes the dehydratyed pork patty was the worst in my opinion.

korhal23
07-16-2009, 07:15 PM
:( A sad day. When did they stop making it?

2006 was the last year.

Fersboo
07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
hey i had it and it was better than most of the stuff we had to eat back then. in fact the only truly edible stuff were the pb and j crackers and the fruit dehydtrated or the fruit cake. although the ham steaks ( spam) was not too bad. usmc 1986-1993 active duty. and yes the dehydratyed pork patty was the worst in my opinion.

US Cavalry 1987-1992 :biggrin:

I'd forgot about the pb&j. My favorite snack was the oatmeal cookie. When we came back from exercises, we usually had a couple of cases of leftover MRE's that were almost always full of Chicken ala King.

Of course I miss my ranger cookies also:
Step 1 - Open creamer packet carefully so it can be resealed.
Step 2 - Add sugar packet
Step 3 - Mix and reseal creamer packet
Step 4 - Place on Bradley or Hummer engine block for a half an hour or so.

:biggrin:

traesin
07-17-2009, 04:15 AM
my dad brought some home when i was 8(1980). is was some kind of meat patty thing with gravy. (shudder) Made me feel sorry for all the Air Force people on the local base.

Bob the Dalek
07-17-2009, 03:11 PM
mmmm dehydrated pear cracker wafer thingies.

MuslixtheMighty
07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Hands down, spaghetti and mystery balls!