PDA

View Full Version : When Role-Playing has killed you.

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 12:34 PM
We've all seen the zealous Paladin charge into a room taunting the enemy illithids. The snooty little halfling thug who wants to dive straight into a fight, or the wizard so street-dumb she walked up to those thieves and asked for directions...

The point is playing a character you know has hardcore dynamics that you, yourself, should know better then to do in a real game.

I myself have tried to play the Face of the group only to attract attention to myself and end up losing 4,950GP, before being stabbed in the back by a teammate just because my bard was Chaotic Neutral.

Q-man
07-16-2009, 01:02 PM
In one campaign we had a couple of those type of deaths.

As we approached the enemy's camp we saw one of their guards out on patrol by himself. So our barbarian stepped out of the shadows and call out "Hey you! C'mere!". The guy on patrol looked surprised, then rang his bell to warn the camp of intruders. At which point we were swarmed by all the soldiers that were awake in the camp.

Later on we were assaulting the evil king's fortress. As we finished our preparations our began the assault our Wizard cast a flight spell and took off to keep better watch on the assault. As he was now the only thing in the sky, we heard the call a "There's their mage!" and all of a sudden he drew a lot of attention from their artillery. Until he failed a concentration check and plummeted to the ground.

goladith
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I was playing a Dwarf Fighting in a 2nd AD&D game. Well, he wasn't the smartest or the wisest. Well, I fell for 6 traps in the row....yeah...the 6th trap was the last, they were cleaning dwarf splatter off themselves for a week.

korhal23
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Kind of different but same idea: I've mentioned elsewhere that I was in a game of All Flesh Must Be Eaten where my character ended up locking his girlfriend (played by my real life girlfriend at the time) out in the hallway with the pursuing zombies (the fast kind, and they had been right on her heels, so he slammed the door and locked her out), who proceeded to tear her apart. Course, that ended up getting to him so bad that he turned his shotgun on himself minutes later.

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Kind of different but same idea: I've mentioned elsewhere that I was in a game of All Flesh Must Be Eaten where my character ended up locking his girlfriend (played by my real life girlfriend at the time) out in the hallway with the pursuing zombies (the fast kind, and they had been right on her heels, so he slammed the door and locked her out), who proceeded to tear her apart. Course, that ended up getting to him so bad that he turned his shotgun on himself minutes later.

....and because there was no other way out once you got past that door right? :D

cigamnogard
07-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Actually, having a sort of opposite problem at the moment:

The gnome artificer rolled poorly on his detect/spot traps. There are none the DM announces. I say fine and tie a rope around the trapdoor's latch and back the gnome off to the room's door.
My DM thought I was metagaming but I explained the artificer has an intelligence of 17; normal people have a intelligence of 10. The artificer is in my oponion smarter than I am. Besides, just because the gnome did not spot a trap does not mean he cannot figure out there still might be a trap!
Why would the veteran of Eberron's Last War open it all gullable like? He would not.
Oh, and in conclusion: - yes, there was a trap.

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
haha wow. Your the opposite stereotype where RPing is keeping you alive.

You think if you had an INT of 8 you'd have ran in the doorway though?

korhal23
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
....and because there was no other way out once you got past that door right? :D

No actually, we were waiting on the military to come find us because we'd gotten them on the radio not that long before. About 3 hours later, the military found the body of my character. Had she gotten into the room it would've been cake to hole up there and wait it out.

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Why didn't you just hole then?

korhal23
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Well that had been the plan. And sure, I probably could've been okay to cover the door. Hell in that regard, I wouldn't have even missed her, her character was not so good with guns. But it made sense for my character, seeing what he'd done, to just shoot himself.

The GM was like "well I'd give you bonus XP for the roleplaying, but, you know...."

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
haha.

When RP attacks!

I would love to get a game of AFMBE down for PBC here.

cigamnogard
07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
haha wow. Your the opposite stereotype where RPing is keeping you alive.

You think if you had an INT of 8 you'd have ran in the doorway though?

Oh, yeah for sure!
Another pc - the warblade - had already kicked in the front door and recieved a spear-trap to the gut!

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Rofl!

See you had proof there were traps. You could have just used that.

cigamnogard
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I did! :)
The DM did not quite know what to say as I totaly showed that I was not metagaming but roleplaying.

Soft Serve
07-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Your quite the sneaky devil Cigamnogard.

cigamnogard
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I guess:humble:
However, I do remember a different time when I was playing a satyr barbarian. The party was heading down a passage way when fireballs erupted from another hallway. Looking down that way my satry saw nothing but an empty wall. Having no ranks in spellcraft and not understanding illusions he charged the wall and attacked it! Needless to say the character was surprised when his sword past right through the fire-hurling wall.
Meanwhile, the rest of the party charged right past the puzzled satyr to attack the sorcerer standing on the other side.
Satyr stats:
18 STR
18 DEX
18 CON
-what else did he need?
10 INT
10 WIS
10 CHA
-so he wasn't bright or good looking but neither was he stupid or ugly....;)

emblasochist
07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Your quite the sneaky devil Cigamnogard.

the word is "You're" as in a contraction of the words "You are". Your is a different word. That said, yes, he is a sneaky guy.

cigamnogard
07-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Ah - shucks - thanks guys!
:redface::redface::redface::redface::redface::redf ace::redface::redface::redface::redface::redface:: redface:

Dytrrnikl
07-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I had a player of a Bard character who once attempted to leap to safety to escape a blast of flame from a fireball cast in a confined tunnel. Well, he escaped the fireball only to jump into the gaping jaws of an illusory Dragon...I allowed him an attempt to disbelieve the illusion and he failed with the worst possible roll, so I ruled that his Bard was so stricken with the illusion that his character actually died of a heart attack from believing he had been eaten by a dragon. His reaction to the news - Crap.

cigamnogard
07-17-2009, 05:40 PM
That would be correct I seem to remember if the character believes the illusion he/she takes double damage.

Soft Serve
07-17-2009, 07:30 PM
the word is "You're" as in a contraction of the words "You are". Your is a different word. That said, yes, he is a sneaky guy.

Thanks grammer nazi!

You're such an appreciated help. I can't see how ANYONE could have understood what I meant without your translation from my barbaric, and untrained attempts at speaking english.

cigamnogard
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
;) I did not think your English was that bad.;)
Take a breath - it's all good. Remember it's the weekend! Time for gaming!:biggrin:

Soft Serve
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
That was sarcasm more then anything. I know the difference in Your and You're. It was a typo, so we don't have to explain it to me like I'm 6.

Role-playing killed me a few moments ago...my lv4 halfling sorcerer having decided it was a good idea to call everyone in a bar "fluffy".....

That was fun.

cigamnogard
07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
HA! LOL - snicker - "fluffy" - snort!
Wished I was there for that game!

emblasochist
07-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks grammer nazi!

You're such an appreciated help. I can't see how ANYONE could have understood what I meant without your translation from my barbaric, and untrained attempts at speaking english.

HEIL! No it is not your fault that incorrect usage grates on my nerves, true. But it does diminish my desire to read, and on top of that, either I noticed that it was you or someone else, maybe Panthro that seems to consistently misspell words and while you have the right to spell atrociously, I am entitled to try to politely correct you. It seems that I belittled you with my methods, though, and I'm sorry.

Anyway, I am the DM. And even as DM, I have RPed myself to death. Using very similar logic to the one where in HHGTG man caused God to disprove himself. My players had a lot of fun with it after, because the game was pretty heated and everyone realized the reference just as I was killing myself.

Soft Serve
07-18-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry.

Daw, it's ok.

Anyway, I am the DM. And even as DM, I have RPed myself to death. Using very similar logic to the one where in HHGTG man caused God to disprove himself. My players had a lot of fun with it after, because the game was pretty heated and everyone realized the reference just as I was killing myself.

♥HHGTG♥

wizarddog
07-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Huh.

So far I have not seen an example of role play being the cause a PC misfortune. Rather, It all looks like poor player tactics or foolish decision justified (usually after the fact) by what the player assumes the personality of their PC. (Though the throwing the girlfriend to the zombies is pretty accurate.) Your Barbarian can be arrogant bastard, but he would display it after taking out the guard befiore he alerted the other in the camp ;)

Otherwise any flawed heroe is not going to last long...;)

A death by roleplay is when a the chaotic neutral rogue PC (posing as acolytes of Demogorgon) while addressing a Vestige of Demogorgon lets out; "Okay...but what have you done for me lately?"

Soft Serve
07-18-2009, 11:43 AM
HA! LOL - snicker - "fluffy" - snort!
Wished I was there for that game!

The Half-Orc loved it.

Huh.

So far I have not seen an example of role play being the cause a PC misfortune. Rather, It all looks like poor player tactics or foolish decision justified (usually after the fact) by what the player assumes the personality of their PC. (Though the throwing the girlfriend to the zombies is pretty accurate.) Your Barbarian can be arrogant bastard, but he would display it after taking out the guard befiore he alerted the other in the camp ;)

Otherwise any flawed heroe is not going to last long...;)

A death by roleplay is when a the chaotic neutral rogue PC (posing as acolytes of Demogorgon) while addressing a Vestige of Demogorgon lets out; "Okay...but what have you done for me lately?"

:roll: How do you define role-playing? Because I just mean when trying to stay in character has thrown you into a pit of spikes, or like-wise misfortune.

cigamnogard
07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Huh.

HMmm...I guess without knowing the above players and the scenarios it makes it difficult to judge if it's players stupidity or role playing. Still, I would have to assume the player does not go onto a bar himself and call everyone fluffy.
Reminds me of that satyr character who only spoke fey for the first few levels until I could not handle his words being translated into common by the rogue/spell thief of the party. Never resulted in anyone's death but a few close calls as well as lots of mischief.

Soft Serve
07-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't personally no.

I hada bard become racist to halflings and try to spit in his food.

But the halfling left so I just looked for the shortest person and do it to them instead.

That got me stabbed and stomped to death on the floor of a tavern.

See? I was Role-Playing a racist, and it got me killed. There are lessons in there....

chintznibbles
07-19-2009, 05:45 AM
I had a player re-enact

<spoilers!>

Rorschach's final scene in Watchmen after I had a "misunderstood" villain pull that evil "I already did it half an hour ago" trick on the players. The character refused to cooperate, and went down sticking to his principles.

</spoilers>

I mean, sure, it's pretty likely that he'd read the comic too; most people got the reference, and it is really rather in character for both extremely smart villains, insane-but-principled investigators, and evil DMs. ;) (It was a little more nuanced than Watchmen; by somewhat inadvertently helping the villain complete his insane world-changing scheme, they also unlocked the seeds that let them complete their overall goal, which wound up making everything different again.)

Grandore The Giant Killer
07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Well my DM has thrown quite a loophole yesterday with my newest character. Now everyone who knows me knows I have a half Highland Elf/ Half Orc Paladin/Barbarian named Grandore The Giant Killer. He earned the name through the many giants he has dropped through his adventures.

1 Storm Giant
1 Hill Giant
3 Shadow Giants
7 Troll Giants
2 Giant Minotaurs
1 Balrog
1 Colossal Sized Soul Eating Demon

All have fallen thanks to Grandore. So I decided it'd be fun to make a Goliath Barbarian named Grandore... After the legend of the Giant Killer. So I am playing with him and after going through an adventure we come to my home town called "Boulder's Gate" the land of the Giants. Well here it turns out that my character's dad is a Giant and a holy group called "The Divine" Has taken over the city and enslaved the giants. Well they have enslaved my character's entire family and needless to say he is PISSSSSSSEEEEEDDDD. So here I am playing a Lawful Good character who is out for blood against this Holy Divine for enslaving his family. So this most likely means I am going to end up turning evil yet I am playing good yet I am fighting against good. Is this as twisted as it sounds?

Oh and the icing on top of the cake I asked my dad "Wait a second. If you're a giant why was I named after The Giant Killer?" And you know what he said? "Because we want you to kill him and correct all of his wrong doings!"

The look on my face just said everything.

RAD7atmosphere
07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
My team met my character from our last campaign in a bar, where I was the drunk. I missed the last session and this was how they could work me in so I didn't argue. But they persist on getting my character drunk before any type of interaction with an NPC... so I have to play the idiotic and annoying drunk and my charisma is already low... I'm glad that we have decided to start a new campaign lol. I plan on keeping with the ranger class though. But maybe a Bard.

Soft Serve
07-20-2009, 12:58 AM
ROFL

We had a ranger who took a flaw where he could only opperate drunk off his ass. He usually charged into battle (with his bow) naked...Right up there with the Barbarians, and Fighter....And still somehow kicking ass (with his bow, naked).

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I wish my character would have been that awesome!!!... and naked... XD

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Almost sounds like a real life beserker.

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 01:44 PM
If a naked man with a bow came charging at me I would prolly just surrender

Soft Serve
07-20-2009, 02:54 PM

I'd try to record it and put it on the internet somewhere...

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
I'd run him over with my car ;)

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 06:24 PM
If I was an innocent bystander looking at a naked man charging into battle with a bow, I would join him assuming it was for the best...

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 06:48 PM

Car :laugh:

Soft Serve
07-20-2009, 07:37 PM
If I was an innocent bystander looking at a naked man charging into battle with a bow, I would join him assuming it was for the best...

Naked and all?

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Kinda admit that's kind of odd but who are we to judge ;)

Soft Serve
07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Kinda admit that's kind of odd but who are we to judge ;)

One more post to hit 600 Cigamnogard.

And yeah it is...but maybe with enough good looking naked people chasing after one poor unlucky person we can start a riot!

RAD7atmosphere
07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Haha well like I said my character was a drunk so anything weird or crazy he does my team just wrote it off as "Don't listen to him, he's drunk".

Stabbity
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
I myself have tried to play the Face of the group only to attract attention to myself and end up losing 4,950GP, before being stabbed in the back by a teammate just because my bard was Chaotic Neutral.

We have a guy in our group that has a character that has been stole from because of being the "Face" 3 or 4 times. Its to the point that my ranger has to sleep in the inn to help track the thieves.

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Well I had 18 Cha and no other noteworthy skills.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Well I had 18 Cha and no other noteworthy skills.
Sorcerer/Bard?

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 01:46 PM
Sorcerer/Bard?

Bard...With two-weapon fighting...and improved initiative.

Glitterdust was my most frequently used spell. Improved Init. POOF, Steal their crap, run like hell. A day in the life of Milo Caye.

RAD7atmosphere
07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I think ima be a bard in my next adventure :)

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I think ima be a bard in my next adventure :)

I've only played a Bard, and a Paladin. I DM'd the rest of my games. I really want to play a Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, and a Druid before I quit on 3.5.

Because as a Cleric I can make it my personal goal to find & Destroy Zombies (much like I do in real life)

As a Rogue I can find & steal shiney stuff. (....)

As a Ranger I can pansy out of fighting and just shoot stuff.

And as a Druid I can make my bear rob a bank. (Much like I do in real life)

RAD7atmosphere
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I've been a druid and it was fun... except I died... and I've been a ranger, which was alot of fun but we decided to quit that campaign b/c we were pretty much making up story line as we went lol

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I've been a druid and it was fun... except I died... and I've been a ranger, which was alot of fun but we decided to quit that campaign b/c we were pretty much making up story line as we went lol

That sounds like every game I have ever played in/ ran ever.

RAD7atmosphere
07-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I mean it was getting pretty bad, it was just a run-around with no real end in sight.

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I mean it was getting pretty bad, it was just a run-around with no real end in sight.

That sounds like every game I have ever played in/ ran ever.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Buy a module or download one online and continue!

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm a bit stunned at myself....too much to post.

I just tried to take a drink from my MT. Dew with the cap on, and then instead of taking it off set it down and decided against it...

.....I need to go outside.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Good plan Stan

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 03:53 PM
But yeah try out Eberron or Faerun.

I've never used Faerun or Eberron but I've read through Eberron and it looks good except for the Dragonmarks.

Plus I've heard good things about Pathfinder.

Or you could do what I did and mash every single setting into one giant game.

www.dogphish.webs.com/classes.htm (http://www.dogphish.webs.com/classes.htm)

There are 200+ Prestige classes there...

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 04:31 PM
But yeah try out Eberron or Faerun.

I've never used Faerun or Eberron but I've read through Eberron and it looks good except for the Dragonmarks.

What's wrong with the dragonmarks?

korhal23
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I like Dragonmarks. Heck, they were so popular they rebranded them for 4E Forgotten Realms (basically), Spellscarring.

Soft Serve
07-21-2009, 04:48 PM
idk I just didn't like them. the "having to be born into a hierarchy" for them thing bugged me.

I didn't like the houses either, I just re-dubbed them guilds and made leader elected instead of born into power...

...and we never even played Eberron. *sigh*

templeorder
07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I had an 19th level mage in 1st edition with my own spell that was a version of tensers transformation, but turned you into an quasi-wight like creature that could not differentiate between friend or foe... needless to say that after a couple death spells and few ugly moments where he was not kind to the innocents, the transformation (even though it was dire straights and helped save the group) earned me a a beheading.

To give you a better idea of the character, i had created a spell that was same as a death spell, affected only half the normal targets, but their heads exploded. Not a nice guy, better off dead probably.

RAD7atmosphere
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
I made my own, we have only played like 4 or 5 times so far.

cigamnogard
07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
I made my own, we have only played like 4 or 5 times so far.
Own what?

RoryN
07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Oddly enough, my own role playing has never gotten my characters killed...it's always been someone elses role playing.

We had a guy who played his paladin by these two simple words: "Evil? Kill!". He got us into more trouble than we could afford on more thanone occassion.

His brother had a wizard that had a hearing problem, so when we were trying to move silently around to miss guards, he would almost always say or do something to make noise, and get the party noticed.

The worst of all may have been one of my good friends playing his thief that loved to pick pockets on the party as a prank. When he managed to steal the mages spell component pouch and the clerics holy symbol just before our battle with a group of mixed undead, no one made it out alive.

Addis Hellfire
07-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Playing as Flaccus Hellfire (brother to my main char that I tend to use), a overly big Sivak Draconian . . . in Lankhmar. He's not dumb (INT 13, WIS 15), but he isn't all that streetsmart, and has a hard time getting out of the military mentallity that he had gotten so used to back on Krynn. Well, as a result, on multiple occassions I've gotten myself into lots of ambushes, traps, and just bad scenarios that I as a player knew were what they were . . . but Flaccus was pissed off, not paying attention, or whatever the cause was. I'd say the top two worst cases was pissing off Glipkerio Kistomerces himself and having the Slayers' Circle after my scaly hide as a result . . . secondly, but not any less as bad, was getting enslaved and used by black wizards . . . yeah, that last one was bad. Hell, if anybody has a map of Lankhmar, I can show you exactly where my char was in the Plaza of Dark Delights lol.

Doom Crow
07-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Playing a Tiefling Cleric of Shar (as well as the FR prestige class for Sharran priests, the Nightcloak), I was roleplaying my character as someone who did not wish their true identity to be known, so he liked to use the spell Alter Self to alter his appearance so he'd look like someone else. This was an evil campaign, mind you. I was a new player in an ongoing campaign that had some veteran players and DM, and I was a freshman in college.

The very first time I met the party I was disguised via my alter self spell. Well there was a druid in the party who was wild shaped into a squirrel and perched in a tree on the road I was walking on. Chalking it up to his character's "paranoia or strangers", he cast dispel magic on me, thus negating the spell and causing my appearance to change revealing my true self, which made everyone else in the party very apprehensive of me (I wanted to call BS because of player knowledge but I figured I'd be overruled). From then on, the druid and another member of the party, a cleric, decided to have me killed. During an encounter in town they kept using bluff checks to disguise the fact that they were casting spells against me, summoning dire apes and flame strikes on me, passing it off as some unknown assailant, which the rest of the party went along with.

Needless to say my character died the same night he was introduced to the group.

Wulvaine
07-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Well, it wasn't actually me, and it's not quite the same thing (almost the reverse, actually), but my friend's uncle Brian was in a campaign with an epic storyline that lasted like three years, one session every other week, I believe. Brian was playing a sneaky rogue. When they finally came to the final showdown with the Big Bad they'd been chasing for three years, Brian decided (reluctantly, but he was roleplaying) his stealthy but rather foolhardy character would probably try to sneak up on the dark lord from behind.

He got around back quietly, and tried stabbing the villain in the back.

Thanks to critical roll from Brian and a catastrophic fail roll from the DM, their dark lord, archnemesis of three years... died in one hit, stabbed in the back.

Ultimate anticlimax.

Soft Serve
07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, it wasn't actually me, and it's not quite the same thing (almost the reverse, actually), but my friend's uncle Brian was in a campaign with an epic storyline that lasted like three years, one session every other week, I believe. Brian was playing a sneaky rogue. When they finally came to the final showdown with the Big Bad they'd been chasing for three years, Brian decided (reluctantly, but he was roleplaying) his stealthy but rather foolhardy character would probably try to sneak up on the dark lord from behind.

He got around back quietly, and tried stabbing the villain in the back.

Thanks to critical roll from Brian and a catastrophic fail roll from the DM, their dark lord, archnemesis of three years... died in one hit, stabbed in the back.

Ultimate anticlimax.

That happened to me last night in a zombie RPG I have. The big bad nasty zombie ripped open a garage door and chucked it at the players. It hit one of them, but then the tank rolled a one for defense and the attack against him was 26... Took triple damage and died.

Playing a Tiefling Cleric of Shar (as well as the FR prestige class for Sharran priests, the Nightcloak), I was roleplaying my character as someone who did not wish their true identity to be known, so he liked to use the spell Alter Self to alter his appearance so he'd look like someone else. This was an evil campaign, mind you. I was a new player in an ongoing campaign that had some veteran players and DM, and I was a freshman in college.

The very first time I met the party I was disguised via my alter self spell. Well there was a druid in the party who was wild shaped into a squirrel and perched in a tree on the road I was walking on. Chalking it up to his character's "paranoia or strangers", he cast dispel magic on me, thus negating the spell and causing my appearance to change revealing my true self, which made everyone else in the party very apprehensive of me (I wanted to call BS because of player knowledge but I figured I'd be overruled). From then on, the druid and another member of the party, a cleric, decided to have me killed. During an encounter in town they kept using bluff checks to disguise the fact that they were casting spells against me, summoning dire apes and flame strikes on me, passing it off as some unknown assailant, which the rest of the party went along with.

Needless to say my character died the same night he was introduced to the group.

If it was an evil campaign you should have just done the same back to them. Attack them in their sleep, steal their money and important items. :D

Oddly enough, my own role playing has never gotten my characters killed...it's always been someone elses role playing.

We had a guy who played his paladin by these two simple words: "Evil? Kill!". He got us into more trouble than we could afford on more thanone occassion.

His brother had a wizard that had a hearing problem, so when we were trying to move silently around to miss guards, he would almost always say or do something to make noise, and get the party noticed.

The worst of all may have been one of my good friends playing his thief that loved to pick pockets on the party as a prank. When he managed to steal the mages spell component pouch and the clerics holy symbol just before our battle with a group of mixed undead, no one made it out alive.

The Paladin's crusades against evil are more often then not what kills a party. It's kinda hilarious and annoying at the same time.

Doom Crow
07-29-2009, 02:16 PM
If it was an evil campaign you should have just done the same back to them. Attack them in their sleep, steal their money and important items. :D

I would have but he was killed in the same session I came into the game in. My next two characters were promptly killed off by the DM's little traps and encounters, and finally I had some respite when my fourth character in the campaign was one of the last two standing amongst the party at the end of the game when everyone decided to turn on each other in order to possess an artifact-level item.

Soft Serve
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Underdog! :D

Doom Crow
07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Indeed! :boxing:

kitsune1842
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I like Dragonmarks. Heck, they were so popular they rebranded them for 4E Forgotten Realms (basically), Spellscarring.

The actual 4th Ed Dragon Marks in the Eberron PHB are much cooler, giving bonuses to things connected tot he marks and a couple of rituals that connect to them. That, and they are no longer limited to certain species. Any one can have any mark, but its just really rare for those outside certian species to have certain marks.

Soft Serve
07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
The actual 4th Ed Dragon Marks in the Eberron PHB are much cooler, giving bonuses to things connected tot he marks and a couple of rituals that connect to them. That, and they are no longer limited to certain species. Any one can have any mark, but its just really rare for those outside certian species to have certain marks.

I would love to put birthsigns in a game, but the blue lines are a bit much. Maybe give the options of several colors? Anyway...

I just had a player lob a grenade into a room with a massive poisonous tank. His character liked to kick open every door and then shoot whatever he sees....fun fun.

korhal23
07-30-2009, 04:09 PM

True. I haven't had much chance to look over my Eberron book. My group is on hiatus at the moment so I looked too hard at stuff I've bought since then, just a cursory glance, really.

kirksmithicus
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
That was sarcasm more then anything. I know the difference in Your and You're. It was a typo, so we don't have to explain it to me like I'm 6.

Role-playing killed me a few moments ago...my lv4 halfling sorcerer having decided it was a good idea to call everyone in a bar "fluffy".....

That was fun.

Next time you are playing a Halfling and you are in the bar try this line. "hey baby, you know they don't call me tripod for nothing".

Perhaps for your next character you should try a two blade ranger who is an alcoholic. You can have him wield a sword as his main weapon and a wine bottle as his off-hand weapon. As a minor action you can take a drink. :)

Soft Serve
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Next time you are playing a Halfling and you are in the bar try this line. "hey baby, you know they don't call me tripod for nothing".

Perhaps for your next character you should try a two blade ranger who is an alcoholic. You can have him wield a sword as his main weapon and a wine bottle as his off-hand weapon. As a minor action you can take a drink. :)

...did you really figure the rules for that?

kirksmithicus
07-31-2009, 04:42 PM
No, but I thought it would be funny.

Soft Serve
07-31-2009, 04:47 PM
I'll never play a halfling again. That game was a fudge, and I randomly rolled race & class. I don't like the short races...

emblasochist
07-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll never play a halfling again. That game was a fudge, and I randomly rolled race & class. I don't like the short races...

When you said you rolled a random race & class, I thought for a fraction of a second that you meant literally. Which I think sounds pretty much what I do... But I'm going to actually start doing that, literally. Roll a die for race then roll a die for class...

Soft Serve
08-01-2009, 05:55 PM
When you said you rolled a random race & class, I thought for a fraction of a second that you meant literally. Which I think sounds pretty much what I do... But I'm going to actually start doing that, literally. Roll a die for race then roll a die for class...

I did literally roll a dice for a race and a class. That's the only game I have ever played a short race in, and I hated it just like I suspected I would. :laugh:

cigamnogard
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
The very first time I met the party I was disguised via my alter self spell. Well there was a druid in the party who was wild shaped into a squirrel and perched in a tree on the road I was walking on. Chalking it up to his character's "paranoia or strangers", he cast dispel magic on me, thus negating the spell and causing my appearance to change revealing my true self, which made everyone else in the party very apprehensive of me (I wanted to call BS because of player knowledge but I figured I'd be overruled).

I think I would have called BS myself on that one.

korhal23
08-02-2009, 01:29 AM
I think I would have called BS myself on that one.

Yeah, I agree.

Kassious
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
And this BS happened a few times? I would have had a serious talk with the group and then maybe left. Evil is one thing, killing each other off and chalking it up to "being evil" is another and rather lame I think.

Azar
08-02-2009, 04:16 PM
That happened to me when we got jumped by ninja's and my warlock wanted to help and tried to fight a ninja and he died.I only played that character for 15 minutes.

Soft Serve
08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
That happened to me when we got jumped by ninja's and my warlock wanted to help and tried to fight a ninja and he died.I only played that character for 15 minutes.

Delay action is a life saver. If you act first then just wait and see how the rest of the party does. When they start to fail...run. Run like hell.

The 3 hours everyone else will spend on character generation you can use for down time...

Moritz
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Like the first story, the 2nd level Wizard went off by himself down a dark alley. While the rest of the group (10 of us) were all on hold.

The Wizard encountered a group of thugs.

The rest of us were sitting on the edges of our seats hoping the Wizard would have died. To our disappointment, he pulled it out.

PaizoChris
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I routinely allow my guards and such to try to run away from the players so that they get all those tasty attacks of opportunity. =D And, every once in a while, one of them manages to get away...

Actually, having a sort of opposite problem at the moment:

The gnome artificer rolled poorly on his detect/spot traps. There are none the DM announces. I say fine and tie a rope around the trapdoor's latch and back the gnome off to the room's door.
My DM thought I was metagaming but I explained the artificer has an intelligence of 17; normal people have a intelligence of 10. The artificer is in my oponion smarter than I am. Besides, just because the gnome did not spot a trap does not mean he cannot figure out there still might be a trap!
Why would the veteran of Eberron's Last War open it all gullable like? He would not.
Oh, and in conclusion: - yes, there was a trap.

Were it my game, you would have gotten away with that if and only if the character often took extra precautions (such as opening the door with a stick or rolling a rock down the hallway). If you had never done those types of things before...

korhal23
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Were it my game, you would have gotten away with that if and only if the character often took extra precautions (such as opening the door with a stick or rolling a rock down the hallway). If you had never done those types of things before...

Agreed. Otherwise, yes it totally is metagaming.

Soft Serve
08-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I usually metagame in my head, but RP it out. Just figure out how to do that and your fine in any game.

nijineko
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
one of my characters called an ambush the night the players were stopping somewhere. as a player, the whole setup just screamed ambush to me. there wasn't anything specific, i just had a feeling. so, my character, not being able to convince the party, jumped the river and kept watch up a tree on the other side, not visible from below. sure enough, along came an ambush. my character followed behind, and trashed the third and last boat as they were about to launch, reducing the attacking forces by a third. then had to run as the surviving enemies chased my character. fortunately, as a monk, i was able to evade and flee much faster than they. i even managed to flee upstream, and then swim/sneak back down stream to sabotage the mini-catapults they had brought with them.

afterwards, the dm asked me if he had given anything away... i just said, no, it was just a feeling. you know, woman's intuition!! (my character was a female....) ^^

korhal23
08-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I usually metagame in my head, but RP it out. Just figure out how to do that and your fine in any game.

There's obviously a meta element to everything you do in an RPG. But that doesn't mean you can't call someone on their shit for using player knowledge over character knowledge.

kitsune1842
08-06-2009, 06:00 PM

Which is the whole reason the rogue I play always ends any search for traps by taking 4-5 big steps back and telling the Paladin, "No traps there. Go ahead, you first."

Soft Serve
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Which is the whole reason the rogue I play always ends any search for traps by taking 4-5 big steps back and telling the Paladin, "No traps there. Go ahead, you first."

And I thought I was the only one....

Cath
08-12-2009, 08:20 AM
I roleplayed a racist Crusader of the Silver Flame, got attacked by a city after I insulted the mayor for being a 'flithy abhuman that wouldn't know the first thing of honor if it walked up and stabbed him in the gut'.

kitsune1842
08-18-2009, 05:18 PM
And I thought I was the only one....

Nope, every good rogue knows just cause you did not find the trap does not mean it is not there. That, and you never know if there is a goblin sitting on a chest in a 10 foot by ten foot room on the other side of the door waiting with a already cocked crossbow waiting to shoot the first person to open the door.