PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Dragonlance campaign

goladith
07-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm working on a campaign on Krynn that starts in the years leading up to the Chaos War. I need some fresh ideas on how to get everybody started. I'm starting off with level of 6, but leveling will be slow on after that. The previous way I had started this was with a generic module of equal level. But I'm not all that fond of doing that. I'm just looking for some general ideas or suggestions of what I could do.

cplmac
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Would need to get some more info from you and have more time to discuss. Perhaps sometime on the Chat, although won't be on there until most likely this coming Tuesday.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
There's only about 30 years between the end of the War of the Lance and the beginning of the Chaos's return, and not much happens in that time. The Knights of Takhisis are formed, you could start there ... or the Wizard's Conclave takes Storm Keep, Justarius is killed and Dalamar takes over the conclave ... there's intrigue there. The Knights of Solamnia come back into favor, not much flavor there. You could start somewhere neer the Irda before they cracked open the Gem and releasing Chaos ... Unless you want to be part of the War of the Lance? There's plenty to jump into there.

Like the Cpl said, there's a lot to discuss.

goladith
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, just in the few years leading up to the Chaos war, like with in 2 or 3 years of it. I already have some stuff in the works with some Knight of the Thorn leaders. Lets see.... I don't want these guys to take part in the War of the Lance. I want majority of the campaign to take place in the Age of Mortals, quite possibly leading in to the War of the Souls. But I'm also kinda leaning towards just going with a few months before the Grey Gem gets opened by the Irda. Not sure though, but I don't want the game to drag out too much before the start of the war. I don't wanna get them involved in the fighting of Chaos, directly anyways.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Okay, Knights of the Thorn were attacked by the Wizard's Conclave when they took Storm Keep ... you could tie in there; not sure what you have worked up for the leaders. Are you looking for something on the side? Or do you want to be part of the existing story?

goladith
07-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I have my own leader I made up, and I am planning on making her a recurring villain right now. I plan on taking this campaign epic, and she is level 20 as it stands. I plan on making it a very high end game when it gets to that point. Most of the fighting will be against the Neraka Knights. So far, we don't have a tower wizard with us, so there isn't a whole lot of tie ins with the conclave. We do have a Knight of Solamnia in the party, we haven't started playing yet, becuase I only got 2 players thus far, and at this point, one of them is playing 2 characters, one the knight, the other a druid. He is thinking about just making his druid a Wizard though.... It is really rough going, trying to figure things out, when you only have to people commited thus far.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 12:31 PM
A Knight and a Druid? That should be interesting. :) A Druid would be a good (pun intended) thorn in the side of the Thorns. They unbalance everything, but so would a Solamnic Knight :)

Maybe something the Thorn Knights had found ... something ancient that could aid them against the Tower Wizards ... something, that with the aid of evil clerics, that could render their magic useless against the Thorn Knights ... or a book that, after enough study, would bring about opening another chasm into Hades and bring forth hellish demons and undead to form another army similar to that of Lord Soth ... but much worse.

goladith
07-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Hmm, those are some interesting hooks. But the Knight and Druid can only push things so far to one side, considering the THorn Knight I rolled up is half warmage half thorn knight. She is a pretty wicked Nightlord.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you may have to wait and see how to customize it to your player's characters when you get them :)

goladith
07-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the guy playing the cleric is pretty new, and he doesn't know any of the DL lore at all, so it will be slow going explaining it all to him as we go. And the guy so far who is gonna be playing Knight and a druid, he is pretty experianced, and he is actually currently reading the books to get the lore, he had only read the Legacy trilogy. But I let him barrow the original 3, and he is pretty much through them now, then gonna give him the Dragons of SUmmer Flame. And go from there. I have the possibilties of one more person, but he is iffy, becuase apparently it is damn near impossible to drag him away from WoW.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Uh-oh, WoW and Dragonlance don't work :lol: 6th level is a good time to introduce them to young dragons too, what would Dragonlance be without Dragons? In the first trilogy, the party would meet only one at a time, and they were usually of the larger varieties and they escaped by the skin of their teeth ... Maybe the party could stumble on knowledge of a hatchery? Getting to this hatchery would prove quite difficult and get them leveled up to meet some of the bigger bad guys.

goladith
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Wow, you know whats, thats a GREAT idea. Never even thought of that. I'll have to do that. One thing I am unsure about, were they still experimenting with using evil dragon eggs for Drac's in that era? Or was did that end with the War of the Lance?

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I believe the experimentation was over with at that point, though I'm not entirely sure. But this would be a good time to flex your DM muscles and make your own Draconians :) Those that are familiar would be totally thrown for a loop and those that aren't would have a nice introduction to Draconians and their birthing process.

goladith
07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah..I have a god-hood draconian already....Not sure what I am going to do with him though...level 50 Lawful good Lightning Drac. He is a dragon hunter....red dragons in particular. He isn't quite god hood, he has no aspirations for such things, but he is a follower of Paladine at this point. Level 20 Fighter, 20 Wizard, 10 White Robe Tower Wizard. He has been granted advanced powers based on the stipulation he doesn't alter the corse of Krynn to drasticly.

Oldgamer
07-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it sounds like he'd put a hurtin' on 6th level characters :) Bozak and Auraks can already cast spells, maybe you could make Draconians that breathed dragon breath like low level Dragon Shaman, the higher level they are the more d6 damage they do. Give them cool names like Sizzlers for blue Drac's, Pyros for Red, etc. When they die, the explode in whatever manner of breath weapon they have.

goladith
07-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Actually, there is a feat that allows Dracs to have traditional breath weapons. But that Lightning Drac, he is Lawful good, he is just kind of there...kinda a DM tool to help "steer" the players in certain directions. Most of his items are made from the red dragons he has killed. His armor and scyth particularly. I took a lot of ideas from the Dracinomicon.