PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended Books I Should Buy?

Grandore The Giant Killer
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Alright recently I found a book store carrying D&D books and I've went on a spending spree the last 3 weeks buying Players Handbook 4.0 2 and both Monster Manuals for my DM since his birthday is on the 23rd. Are there any more recommended books I should consider buying? I'm just a mere player and figure I could get some opinions from the DMs. If you were a DM what book would make you go "Wow! Thanks buddy!"?

kitsune1842
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
AS a GM, for 4th ed, I love Open Grave and The Draconomnicon. Mostly, because I love the undead and Dragons. I am not sure I will use it next time I DM or not but the 4th ed manual of the Plains has some interesting stuff in it for GMs as well.

Umiushi
07-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Alright recently I found a book store carrying D&D books and I've went on a spending spree the last 3 weeks buying Players Handbook 4.0 2 and both Monster Manuals for my DM since his birthday is on the 23rd. Are there any more recommended books I should consider buying? I'm just a mere player and figure I could get some opinions from the DMs. If you were a DM what book would make you go "Wow! Thanks buddy!"?
It would help if we knew what books your DM already owns. Assuming it wasn't a duplicate, the fact that you got him the first Monster Manual implies he doesn't already own all of the core rulebooks. Does he have the first Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide? If not, those should be next on the list for him to acquire. I'd say you're good to go at that point, but if you really want something more, consider Adventurer's Vault, Arcane Power, or Martial Power.

Grandore The Giant Killer
07-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah he has all the old core books and monster manuals as well as all the old Player Handbooks.

I bought him

Player Hand Book 4.0
Player Handbook 4.0 2
Monster Manual 4.0
Monster Manual 4.0 2

wizarddog
07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
What's left are stuff for the players.

Ones I recommend are:

Adventure Vault
Martial Power
Arcane Power

If you really want to play a swordmage you might pickup the Forgotten realms player guide if you don't have DDI. I only mention it because Arcane power has stuff for the class and races.

Open Grave and Manual of the Planes are resources, and they have some good stuff, but unless your DM is hurting for ideas(or explanation), they don't provide much for the player.

And save your pennies for Divine Power so your Cleric and Pally can finally get some love. ;)

Valdar
07-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Get him a module appropriate for your characters' levels. Even if he just takes stuff from the module, the 4e modules are pretty well done. They separate plot and encounters into two booklets, and provide a battle mat for some of the important fights.

Umiushi
07-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah he has all the old core books and monster manuals as well as all the old Player Handbooks.

I bought him

Player Hand Book 4.0
Player Handbook 4.0 2
Monster Manual 4.0
Monster Manual 4.0 2
Wait, he has all the old core books? Then the next book he needs is the 4.0 Dungeon Master's Guide, and nothing comes before that.