PDA

View Full Version : Would you play in a game where Jedi classes were forbidden??

Grazak
07-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Just as the title says I am curious if most gamers would play in a game devoid of Jedi PC's?? My group was very against the idea when I proposed it so I want some feedback.

The idea is a sort of fringe campaign that would start just before the Vong invasion. Since Jedi are still fairly scarce in this era I feel that it makes sense.

I have a feeling that my players just want force powers and lightsabers so they can abuse them hence part of the reason I want to eliminate them, but I also feel that there is a lot that can be done with Star Wars when you don't have a Jedi to just fix everything for you.

Suzaku
07-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Considering I only play Jedi, nope I won't play.

Citadel
07-14-2009, 06:23 PM
I get what you are saying and to your answer is it depends on the era I'ld be playing in. True during the New Republic era there scarce, but not inprobable but consider this even though there jedi, they all going to face the Vong sooner or later. If you have read the novels then you'll already know how much they were of bane to jedi. This in it self equals out some of there qualities. You also have other elements such as the freedom brigade (I think thats what there called) hunting him/her and his friends, and the Dark Academy that still looking for recruits. Would I persoanlly have a game set in this era without jedi...no. There's too many good plot twist you could involve to make even one of there own (players) to turn him in. Plus vong can't be sensed in the force so that should add a nice element of surprise, and most galactic citizens didn't want to be around a large target (jedi) when the vong are around or not around. Jedi in any era tend to be bad for ones health.

korhal23
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
The time I didn't play a Jedi, I played a Mon Calamari Noble (It's a trap!). That said, I feel that the Jedi are the most fun class. I have a soft spot for things like the Force Powers (or powers in general in 4E, or Tricks in Spycraft, etc...) that I feel is lacking in the other classes.

Here's the thing though. If your players have no interest in a non-Jedi game, guess what you shouldn't run? You may have a totally sweet story to tell... scratch that, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure you have an awesome story to tell, but your group is not the group to tell it to, sad to say.

If they aren't interested, they won't put their all into it, and the game has a good chance at being a flop.

Tamerath
07-15-2009, 12:31 AM
I actually had a Star Wars campaign where it was kinda tailored to the Knights of the Old Republic video game...where your character started out something else..then could develop into a jedi class after the first 5-10 levels...

What I found out is it really laid some in-game work for me to actually seed some great plot hooks for later on. No matter the Edition...when I played this game (d20 version) I didn't have them burn a feat on force sensitivity (if they even wanted it)...I awarded it to them at a certain point in their levels...I'd do the same for d6 version as well (like I said...if they wanted it)...

The players in my group all switched to jedi...every single one...but the combinations were awesome..fringer/force adept, solder/jedi guardian, noble/jedi counselor, scout/jedi sentinel...and the levels they took actually made them more powerful when they took over their jedi classes

In d6 this would probably be even easier to see done considering it's skills based.

But to really cut to the heart of the question...I probably wouldn't play if you couldn't be a jedi or ever attain it.

Webhead
07-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Me personally: Absolutely. I have no problem playing a Star Wars campaign of no-Jedi, half-Jedi or all-Jedi. It doesn't really matter to me. In fact, my favorite character type to play is probably the smuggler/brash pilot with no Force Sensitivity or any desire as a player to attain it. I'll play Jedi too and they are a ton of fun but there are so many other character concepts out there to play.

Granted, some people only want to play Jedi/Force Users and there's nothing wrong with that.

As others have said, it really depends on two things: 1) the era and style of campaign and 2) your players.

In my current D6 campaign, I did not allow "Jedi" characters both because it is set between Episodes 4 and 5 and because it is a "fringe" campaign at start. I did allow for "Force Sensitives" and even minor starting Force Powers but no "formal" Force training, no Jedi knowledge and no lightsabers. I have, however, left the possibility open for the game to head in that direction in the future should the players go that route.

That said, I am very aware of the existence of what is often called "lightsaber syndrome" and you should be too. This is where players will insist upon playing Jedi or Force Users simply for all the power and toys and none of the responsibility. You've probably met the player who has to be constantly reminded that his character is breaking the Jedi Code or even pushing the boundaries of the Light Side with every action. Those are the kinds of players that get uppity if you take away their characters' lightsaber (hence why it is called "lightsaber syndrome").

It's okay to want to play characters with nifty mystical powers, but Jedi don't use the Force for personal advancement or convenience and your Jedi players should understand and respect that concept.

Farcaster
07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
It's been more than a decade since I played Star Wars, but I would be fine with playing in a game where there were no Jedi. I find the rest of the universe and setting intriguing enough to have fun with it regardless of whether or not there was a Jedi in the group. My only caveat to this would be that there couldn't be any sort of DM PC Jedi involved with the story or stealing the character's thunder with their "awesomeness."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I second that. Jedi, no Jedi, it matter not to me.

rovic
07-15-2009, 07:41 PM
no jedi classes would be ok with me .... but do you mean you cant take the force sensitive feat? so no force sensitive scout?

Grazak
07-15-2009, 07:52 PM
Thank you all for the input!!! I was originally thinking no Force Users period, but based on the feedback I think I will go the no formal training to start route. That way force sensitives will be fine and characters who want to multiclass into Jedi will be allowed as well, to an extent.

My biggest problem with the Jedi from a gaming standpoint is that unlike a lot of the skills a scout might learn much of a Jedi's skill must be taught by someone else instead of learned by experience. So I would probably require my players to find a teacher of some sort willing to train them in order to gain any levels of Jedi training.

I am finding myself bored rather often at work lately so maybe I will draft up some specifics for this campaign and begin running it as a pbp game.

Webhead
07-15-2009, 08:24 PM
...My biggest problem with the Jedi from a gaming standpoint is that unlike a lot of the skills a scout might learn much of a Jedi's skill must be taught by someone else instead of learned by experience. So I would probably require my players to find a teacher of some sort willing to train them in order to gain any levels of Jedi training...

Exactly right. While you might allow characters to pick up the Force Sensitivity feat and thus potentially take Control, Sense and Alter Talents, Jedi training is a very specific path and one that requires an actual instructor (whether a living being or even just a well-built holocron). Thus, it is reasonable to declare the Jedi class off-limits until a character uncovers a reasonable means to obtain such knowledge.

Werekoala
07-15-2009, 09:31 PM
I would totally play Star Wars as a non-Jedi. After all, there were plenty of other heroes in the movies - Solo, Leia, Chewbacca, even Boba Fett. Even going AGAINST Jedi, I would play a non-Jedi. :)

And one more thing - get rid of frickin' midichlorians. They make no sense and clearly were never part of the "lore" to begin with. Anyone who was sensitive and could be trained could become a Jedi, and ALWAYS will be able to in MY Star Wars universe.

Sascha
07-15-2009, 10:21 PM
And one more thing - get rid of frickin' midichlorians. They make no sense and clearly were never part of the "lore" to begin with. Anyone who was sensitive and could be trained could become a Jedi, and ALWAYS will be able to in MY Star Wars universe.
Midi-what-ians? That some sort of EU thing? 'Cause I've seen all three movies, and there's nuthin' like that in the series ...

(What? ;))

korhal23
07-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Yes, but what MADE them Force Sensitive? ;)

Werekoala
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes, but what MADE them Force Sensitive? ;)

Puppies.

Fuzzy effin' puppies.

With sunflower pooties.

It would make as much sense.

korhal23
07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Puppies.

Fuzzy effin' puppies.

With sunflower pooties.

It would make as much sense.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.

Werekoala
07-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, sir.

Forget newsletters, I saw we play some Star Wars. "Evil" Star Wars. Yes, a thread-jack is in progress! But, technically, not - as the PCs wouldn't be "Jedi". :) I have an intro all ready - may as well use this to introduce it and see what folks think:

Episode 3.5

The Balance Shifts

It is a time of growing tyranny in the Galaxy.

The new Empire, victorious against the Separatist Faction in the Clone Wars, moves quickly to consolidate its power. Vast Star Fleets and subtle political manipulation spread out from the Imperial Core like oil on water.

Despite his outward trappings of power and authority, Emperor Palpatine knows that this is a fragile time for the growth of his Empire. He assigns close confidants and capable military men to the governorships of various sectors, while allowing the Imperial Senate to continue to meet and bicker as they always have, to little effect. It is important that those whom he rules still feel that they have some say in the running of the Empire - until he is ready to make his final move. Until then, his full attention is on the completion of the ultimate weapon, the Death Star, slowly taking shape far above a secret world.

Lord Darth Vader continues his campaign to locate and eliminate the last of the Jedi Order - personally dispatching survivors when he can, relying on military and mercenary forces when he must. He is driven by the desire to destroy Obi Wan Kenobi, his former friend and Master - the man he feels responsible for the death of his wife, Padme Amidala, and the children he never knew.

Meanwhile, in the depths of the Outer Rim, shadowy forces begin to emerge from their lair. The balance of the Force has shifted, and an ancient order prepares to act on a prophecy far older than the one that foretold Vader's coming...

The PCs will be members of...

The Council of Night - Secret Sith conclave tasked with preserving knowledge of Sith powers and history during the Long Night (the period from the fall of the last Sith Empire until the rise of the next one). Hidden on several worlds in the deep Outer Rim, the Council has remained isolated for almost three thousand years. Palpatine's mentor was one of their number, a scout who went into the inner worlds to research the status of current Republic politics and the Jedi Order's power. During his mission, something went wrong - he either went insane or had been harboring a plan all along to take a student and attempt to subtly establish himself as a Lord. The Order found out about his plan too late, after he had already trained Palpatine in the ways of the Dark Side, and been killed by him. Because of their remoteness, the Council was unable to react fast enough to locate and destroy Palpatine, and watched helplessly as the galaxy fell under his control. Since then, the Council has sent many scouts into the galaxy to renew their knowledge of current events and to try to mitigate the damage to the balance of the Force that Palpatine and Vader have caused. The Council knows that should they succeed in wiping out every last vestige of the Light Side, the results would be catastrophic for all life in the Galaxy. They find themselves in the unlikely position of trying to save at least some of those whom they oppose on the most fundamental of levels, while also working to overthrow Palpatine - a powerful and dangerous Outsider who knows nothing of the true ways of the Sith.

The Council of Night is made up scores individuals from a variety of races, all devoted to the Sith ideals, who are masters of the Dark Side and all that it implies. They have lived a very monastic lifestyle in the Conclave, as their forbearers before them, isolated from the galaxy and outside influences. As such, they might seem a bit "aloof" or above the "worldly" concerns of most, while in many ways they are ignorant of most of the conventions and occurrences outside of the Conclave. They are very formal in speech and dress, unless on undercover scouting missions which are typically dispatched once per decade (although there are dozens of ongoing missions now, due to the rise of Palpatine). Scouting reports are eagerly studied in order to keep the membership of the Council as up-to-date as possible, should they find themselves chosen for the next wave of missions to the inner planets.

All members of the Council are formally known as either Brother or Sister, and their leader is the sleep-walking spirit of the last great Sith Master, Lord Saidess, his essence kept alive by advanced (and ancient) Sith machinery and the devoted efforts of the Conclave. Saidess has led the Order for the last 1,500 years, but his mind wanders and his powers are fading. He will soon pass beyond the veil, and a new Sith Master will be appointed.

Still haven't decided if I'm going with the d6 system or not, but I'm inclined to do so since I've been reading it. If not, likely go with the old GURPS standby.

What do you think, sirs?

korhal23
07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
If you go Saga edition I'm in.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
I would totally play Star Wars as a non-Jedi. After all, there were plenty of other heroes in the movies - Solo, Leia, Chewbacca, even Boba Fett. Even going AGAINST Jedi, I would play a non-Jedi. :)

Agreed. There is NO such thing as Midi-whatever in my games, never has been, never will.

Werekoala
07-15-2009, 11:27 PM
If you go Saga edition I'm in.

I'll have to go rooting through my boxes of books - I have it around here somewhere... :)

Grazak
07-15-2009, 11:40 PM
The premise certainly has me intrigued.

Saga is the only system I know so I would definitely be in for that, if it was a different system I certainly wouldn't be opposed as long as I could find the right material to learn from.

rovic
07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
saga and im in..... running my own saga game in chat (Legacy Nightmare) but would love to play in one. gone for the next week (yeay holidays) but after that im good to go!!!!!

Webhead
07-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Agreed. There is NO such thing as Midi-whatever in my games, never has been, never will.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about! It's a *mystical* energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us; it penetrates us; it binds the galaxy together.

Force-Sensitive bacteria? Jedi blood-tests? What? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Okay...who's been inhaling the glitterstim again?

Citadel
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for the input!!! I was originally thinking no Force Users period, but based on the feedback I think I will go the no formal training to start route. That way force sensitives will be fine and characters who want to multiclass into Jedi will be allowed as well, to an extent.

My biggest problem with the Jedi from a gaming standpoint is that unlike a lot of the skills a scout might learn much of a Jedi's skill must be taught by someone else instead of learned by experience. So I would probably require my players to find a teacher of some sort willing to train them in order to gain any levels of Jedi training.

I am finding myself bored rather often at work lately so maybe I will draft up some specifics for this campaign and begin running it as a pbp game.

IMO you wouldn't need to do a jedi class persay if you didn't want them to be abussing the lightsaber, you could go with another force using tradition and then become a knight. I have to say I like the fact that a player hasn't started out as a jedi it gives a personal touch to building a charcter.

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-16-2009, 07:25 PM
I would play in a game without Jedi.

My current game is an Infinities Dark Times game where the characters are living on the fringes of society and their are 2 Jedi PCs and one Jedi npc. So far it has been lots of fun, the game feels very much like Firefly!

But, if these guys you are playing with are friends or long time gaming buddies, you may want to throw them a bone and run an all Jedi game or adventure at some point, or suggest that one of them do so!

I'm hoping to do that in my game!

Werekoala
07-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Well, a bit of a hitch in my plans - I went through most of my boxes of books in storage and I couldn't find my SAGA edition. If I'm going to run Star Wars, it'll have to be either WEG d6, GURPS, or 1st Edition SW d20 - or possibly RISUS. I know those might not be the best options, but its all I have immediate access to. Based on that - anyone still interested?

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Actually if it is going to be d6, I might be interested. was this to be play by post or something?

Werekoala
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
We can do PbP or if everyone (anyone) can agree on a time, chat-room works for me.

korhal23
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll still play but Boo to not being Saga Edition.

Werekoala
07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
I'll look again before committing, I KNOW its out there!

templeorder
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Personally, no problem. I find it a challenge to play non-mainstream characters for any system... and i actually fancied a more flawed hero like Han Solo when i played Star Wars.

Webhead
07-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, a bit of a hitch in my plans - I went through most of my boxes of books in storage and I couldn't find my SAGA edition. If I'm going to run Star Wars, it'll have to be either WEG d6, GURPS, or 1st Edition SW d20 - or possibly RISUS...

Ooh! Risus!!! Awesome game (and actually partly based on D6). :biggrin:

Dytrrnikl
07-22-2009, 05:32 AM
No-Jedi campaign would not be a problem. I tend to stick in the Dark times/Rebellion era, keeping Jedi/Force-sensitives to a minimum if appearing at all. I played in one campaign that was KotoR era, with it being a Jedi based campaign, everyone playing Jedi characters. One or two jedi/force sensitive characters in a group is fun, the whole group...not so much for me. When we played WEG d6, we houseruled out the ability to become Force Sensitive after character creation - feeling that, even if you didn't necessarily understand exactly why you got those special hunches or gained formal training, you either were right from the get go or you never were at all. WE ported this into the d20 version of Star Wars, in that the Force-Sensitive Feat must be taken at 1st level or not at all. I spoken to a lot of other gamers about this one and generally get a big raspberry to it. :p

I've become quite fond of playing Brash Pilot types myself, particularly with the Starfighter maneuvers from Saga's Starship of the Galaxy sourcebook.

WCRPG Butcher
07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
As a Star Wars fan jaded by the amount of Jedi-Wank recent years have brought, I'd be both shocked and pleasantly surprised if there was a Non-Jedi game going on.

cigamnogard
07-23-2009, 09:12 PM
I would rather play a Sith Lord than a Jedi any day.
No sith eh?
Okay, how about a rogue that has his own ship that is falling apart.
No rogue with falling apart ship eh?
How about a noble that has had her planet blown up and seeks vengence?
Maybe but I have to have odd hair cuts eh?- fine I am in!

:laugh::laugh:

Webhead
07-23-2009, 11:59 PM
As a Star Wars fan jaded by the amount of Jedi-Wank recent years have brought, I'd be both shocked and pleasantly surprised if there was a Non-Jedi game going on.

I'm currently running one...

WCRPG Butcher
07-24-2009, 06:25 AM
I'm currently running one...

Woo! They exist!

Dark
07-25-2009, 07:35 AM
There is more to the Star Wars universe than Jedis so yes I would.

Slipstream
08-02-2009, 02:55 AM
I would be fine with it. Besides the aspect of lightsabers, Jedi as a whole bore me. Star Wars for me is the romanticism of hopping in a ship and exploring/fighting your way through the galaxy. It's about the common man/being surviving against innumerable odds.

Wulvaine
08-06-2009, 04:22 AM
I would absolutely play in a game without Jedi classes available. I prefer to play scoundrels anyway. Han-type characters or bounty hunters in particular. I don't limit myself to that sort of thing, but I certainly enjoy it.

And yes, PLEASE, get rid of the midichlorians. One of George Lucas' worst ideas, and that man is a MASTER of bad ideas. I just like to pretend the prequels don't even exist.

Oldgamer
08-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I just started playing my first Star Wars game, and the first rule of character creation is, No Jedi. So I'd say yes, even though I'm a total n00b to the system (not the movies, I've seen them all, parts 4-6 many more than that through the years) and would've preferred to play a Jedi. But the only game I've found since acquiring the Core rule book a week ago is this one, so I made a Scoundrel 2/Scout 1 and have just begun playing it about 3 days ago. I forgot how long it takes for a n00b to make a character ... sheesh.