PDA

View Full Version : villain teams

yukonhorror
07-12-2009, 01:47 AM
So I was reading IGN's top 100 comic book villains, and I had the thought it would be fun to be in a game with a team of super villains.

In most games I have played, there was a central villain who we were constantly trying to thwart. I think this could be similarly fun with a group of villains trying to "thwart" a single good guy.

I think batman, superman, or similar "one-man" super heroes would be good targets. Income could only be begotten from theft. Maybe you work for a kingpin type character and try to successfully implement his schemes.

Normally, I like being the good guy, but I could see how something like this could be fun and challenging.

Mainly inspired by this concept when I read about the bane story with regards to HOW he "broke the bat." It was so elaborate, but innovative.

Has anyone out there tried something like this? What was it like?

LAST CRUSADER
07-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I only tried once to let a player be a villain but it didn't really work I wasn't comfortable with it and he could tell so after one bad session we gave up on the idea. I only play villians when I'm the GM.

ronpyatt
07-12-2009, 09:52 AM
In most games I have played, there was a central villain who we were constantly trying to thwart. I think this could be similarly fun with a group of villains trying to "thwart" a single good guy.
The last supers game I ran went something like that. At first, the villian PC's settled for going after the greatest superheros to set them up for a fall. They succeeded in giving the heores a bad name at almost every turn.

Then they turned on and tracked down the greatest superhero the world had ever known, discovered his source of power and eliminated him and everyone that stood in their way to get at him. It was a grim tale of how far the dark side would go when power corrupts. Some details were not suitable for adult audiences, but in the end, the Earth was destroyed.

It was also a very fun campaign.

LAST CRUSADER
07-12-2009, 08:17 PM
SEE letting players be villains is bad

yukonhorror
07-12-2009, 09:23 PM
normally I agree. But I just think it would be interesting trying to overcome the challenges of being a villain. Setting up heists, discovering the identity of a superhero, etc.... Maybe you set up some sort of guidelines with respect to killing (have some level of morality to prevent killing innocent children and people who can't defend themselves). So "joker-like" villains wouldn't be allowed, but people like penguin or Ra's Al ghul (sp?) would be more than acceptable.

In other words, stray away from total carnage, and strive towards absolute power and control. In a sort of D&D terms, Lawful Evil not Chaotic Evil.

LAST CRUSADER
07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
o-k then try something like the Guild of Calamitous Intent from Venture Brothers