PDA

View Full Version : How many are there

ronpyatt
12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
How many superheroes have you created, and can you descibe them in their setting and system? Who was your first super?

If you've only created villains, well... then describe them.

I've created many supers that are too numerous to remember. The last PC I created that I actually had the opportunity to play went my the name of Pink, a human-looking psychic-alien teleporter out to protect the city. It was a Mutants & Masterminds game.

My first was created for me. He went my the name of Psycho. A mentalist in a Champions (X-Men type) setting. He had to take taxi's to get to battles.

fmitchell
12-27-2006, 02:04 PM
Since I play superhero games rarely, only three Champions characters spring to mind:

"Gazer": a blind war veteran recruited by a mysterious foundation which hunted interdimensional invaders. His useless eyes were replaced with ultrasensitive visual sensors and a beam weapon (laser?), and they also gave him a few other enhancements I can't remember at the moment. (College was a long time ago ...)

Another character I created for a one-shot, when I was in a silly mood, was a speedster who hit people with a golf club. I think I named him Quicksilver, over the objections of long-time X-Men readers.

My final character was supposed to be a shady pulp detective who could stand toe-to-toe with most supers, but I didn't fit well with the rest of the group, so I bailed after two or three sessions.

I've also created superhuman characters for other genres, but I don't think any of them have seen play.

PhishStyx
01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I've written about 3 dozen supers for various games, including nearly 20 for Marvel Super Heroes, a couple for DC Universe, more for Superbabes, DC Heroes, Silver Age Sentinels, and probably a bit more than a half-dozen or so for Heroes Unlimited.

Over the last couple years, I translated all of them into a "mega-setting" using SAS/Tri-Stat D10 for the purposes of getting them published as a SAS supplement setting. Of course, now I've run into the problem that Guardians of Order is out of business, and SAS is gone.

At this point, I'm just not sure what to do with the setting, where do I go with it now?

I'm not keen on Mutants & Masterminds or D20 in general, and although I do like Kherpera Publishing's work, my other experiences with D6 have been less than favorable.

gurusloth
01-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Hmm, I've had several. All of these were made with GURPS Supers.

The Gut - your basic tank, he had a bunch of Damage Reduction and Strength, plus he had a limited Alteration power where anything he inserted into his mouth was rendered edible (and usually delicious), so he could grab the thugs' guns and chomp them down.

BladeSong - Body of Metal and a blade-like cutting ranged attack that made a musical hum as it flew through the air. He rode around on a souped up motorcycle.

Armament - a soldier who had lost his arm in battle, then was recruited into a super-soldier project and had his missing arm replaced by a highly sophisticated cybernetic arm. The arm had increased strength, retractable finger claws, and an electrical blast attack.

So there's a few examples.

gdmcbride
02-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Atomic Bomb Man -- A man with an atomic bomb strapped to his chest. It was activated by a hair trigger rip cord. Needless to say, Atomic Bomb Man had a big pile of psych lims. He was, after all, under a lot of stress... Even though his singular mutant power of being able to survive a nuclear blast at ground zero made him personally immune to the atomic bomb he carried everywhere, it was no small amount of responsibility to decide when the evil in a given city/neighborhood/island base had gotten so bad that this location needed .... ATOMIC BOMB MAN!

Atomic Bomb Man was created for a newsletter in college "Ask Dr. Screw" in order to demonstrate a system problem in Champions. However, long after that article was but a memory ATOMIC BOMB MAN lives on. And even though he has yet to actually pull the rip cord I will say this, you can accomplish a lot when people know you have an atomic bomb strapped to your back.

Its like Stan Lee almost said: "With great radioactivity, comes great responsibility."

Gary

Farcaster
02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
My very first super was using the Marvel system, and although I had fun playing him at the time, I couldn't begin to claim that his powers were at all interesting. He was a basic gravity control hero with some trivial amount of telekinesis mixed in. His philosophy was definitely to "crush" his enemies.

Several months back, I was playing with the GURPS 4th edition rules and I made a character that I would love to play some time. Her name is Alice and she is quadriplegic, must be kept continuously on life support, and requires a team of doctors to keep her alive. Taking her out would be as simple as pulling a plug, except, of course, that her physical body is kept hidden away in an underground bunker that is under constant guard by the military. Alice, as you may have already guessed, is an incredibly powerful telekinetic and telepath, who also has also mastered the ability to project herself astrally and travel virtually anywhere she pleases. She can even manifest an image of herself to her companions if they find a disembodied voice a little awkward to interact with.

She was the first character I made using the GURPS rules. Her starting points were around 350, I think. But she had another 150 or so points in disadvantages. :cool:

TwoGunBob
02-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Palladium Heroes Unlimited-

Eclipse- mutant- Had the Chameleon power and adhesion. Hmmm... He buddied around with some guy that could turn into metal and some other power as well that made him completely broken so that my sticky invisible guy spent most of the time... Invisible and just ignoring the action. He used guns a lot that were mostly ineffectual against the kind of stuff that slammed Faux-Colussus around.

The Super Soviet- enchanted weapon- Part of the superhero exchange prgram. A postwar Russia wanted this guy gone so they sent him to America along with his old comrade from Cuba, The Hammer of the People. These two generally caused more problems with smoke grenades than doing anything constructive to the super hero group. Had an enchanted hammer and sickle that shot energy rays and made a shield. He was later sent on some crazy twist of fate on some assignment pulled from Beyond the Mountains of Madness. The remnants of the Communist Superhero League disappeared after a nuclear explosion rocked the polar cap they had been sent to investigate.
If I recall correctly the Chiniese cyborg we had with us was programmed to detonate if certain parameters of the mission happened. The circumstances happened and the cyborg went *foom!* the world was saved but the heroes went up like matchsticks... or did they?

Mr. Ebony- enchanted item- Talked about himself in the third person. Cast paralyzing bolts. Had magic gloves. Didn't do much.

The Indescribable Gadgetman X- Wore a gas mask. Used guns a lot. Had a fellow teammate named Rainbow Miller with the plant growth power always put seeds in the barrels of the guns and quick grew them so the guns never worked. Got blew up when 'Lucky' a superhero with energy blasts. flight, and karmic powers did a fly by shooting of a cruise ship that was being held hostage. The supervillain blew the ship up in retaliation and The Indescribale Gadgetman X became the Unfindable X. Ah well, he fed the fish.

Apeman Intergalactic Pervert- alien- rolled up vibrations and extra sensitive touch when making the alien rolls. He was not long for this world.

Actually I begin to see why I never lasted in superhero campaigns.

spotlight
02-25-2007, 01:39 PM
HOO-WEE, I really injoyed reading this section. I have created lots of super characters, mostly for Champions, of course. My first was probably while I was still a small kid, making copies of cartoon heros with modleing clay. Hey! What do you expect from the kids from the trailer park??
This was waaayy before any 'official' rules, naturally. My first hero made by the rules was from the early edition of champions. I was given no choice on his powers but it wremarkably much like my first NAMED hero, Spotlight.
Spots has since been numerous incarnations, most of which have never been played. His lazer blasts can kill, so he does not use them much. I have transformed him into various rules, such as T&J and GURPS, but have not tried Mutants and Masterminds yet.

Moritz
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Aside from the thousand or so NPC's I made for my Marvel Super Heroes game (converted to champions when that became the popular medium), I have virtually stuck to the one character I started playing back in high school under the gaming group's Marvel master. (Though I have played a few others, they weren't as involved.)

We, the players, got on a kick of taking ourselves and putting them into the game. Basically us with superpowers and starting the game on the same real life day we drew up the character sheets (1987).

The character was simple and due to the powers called him

Darkstar (which was changed like 5 times, and settled on Eclipse)

F: In
A: Am
S: Ex
E: In
R: In
I: In
P: In

Powers:
Darkforce Manipulation (In)
-item creation
-armor creation
-dimensional travel
Microwave Radiation Manipulation (In)
-flight
-resistance to fire/heat/radiation
-projection

The Marvel System was great. When he was converted to Champions, I had to alter his powers to just Darkforce/Darkmatter manipulation and gave it a heat factor (darkforce as energy can radiate heat).

I played this character at least from 1987 till 2002.
And no, I'm no sociopath. :)

Chris House
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
champions was my first super hero Game and I made up Drider.
half Dark elf from anther world who was under the curse of the Drider, but sense he fled to Earth, via a portol the curse effected him diffrent,
he had like a Dexterity of 60, and could climb and swing.
that was it. it was enough no one could hit him!
I played champions from 1983-1993

nijineko
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
i've made superhero's for marvel, heroes unlimited, gurps, synnibarr, and the autoduel-champions crossover rules. that last was my first created superhero: jonny thundar, electricity and sonic manipulator. i was still in middle school... ^^ can you tell?

oh, and most recently for mutants and masterminds in the league of wonders gaslight supers play-by-post campaign here on the forums!

click the "LoW" link in my sig to read more! =D

GoddessGood
02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I have played exactly one hero character in a homebrewed setting using the M & M rules. He was a deposed nobleman who had spent his life pretty much cloistered, reading everything he could find. His powers were the ability to pull facts out of the ether (basically an internal google search) and a mental force field, push and stun type of thing. The story was that he'd intrigued an extra-dimensional being who tended to appear as a small purple spider with a british accent and a cocktail. He would occasionally refuse to answer the "google searches" and complain that he'd been pulled away from a, "beautiful, young [insert type of spider here] and it had better be good." Didn't really have a name for him, though.

Webhead
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
How many superheroes have you created...

Countless.

...and can you descibe them in their setting and system?...

Most were created for Mutants & Masterminds, but some were for other systems including HERO, MSH, Marvel Universe, DC Heroes and others. I will extrapolate later.

...Who was your first super?...

The first super I actually got to play was Echo, a young mutant in friend's Marvel Super Heroes game who had sonic/vibration powers. He idolized the Fantastic Four and actually got to meet them later on in the campaign and was even given his own unstable-molecule costume by Reed Richards.

The first super I remember creating for an RPG was probably also Echo but my exact memory is a little hazy on the subject.

...If you've only created villains, well... then describe them...

I've created a bunch of those too. "The Bloomfield Monster", Sandstorm, Violet Mask, The Front Line (a spin on the Wildcats), Charles Drako, Yellow Fever, etc...

nijineko
02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
oh villains... yes, i created at least one. called "mr. monster (note to self: gotta find a new name)". yes, that whole bit was the npc's name. ^^ found two loopholes in the gurps supers rules that allow an insane amount of power to be squeezed screaming from the rules. so i used it to make a villian for high level supers. i had so many points that i literally was having trouble finding ways to spend them. so i started getting weird.

just on a lark, i gave him a number of defensive powers that had odd attributes. he was completely immune to anything that deals more than a certain amount of damage. he had damage reduction and reflection to anything that dealt below a certain amount of damage. and i left a small window of damage against which he had no defense at all. ^^

and he had loads of hit points and other save related stuff. his powers got to be pretty gross after a while as i was trying to theme them to be as monstrous as possible. there were penalties for looking at it, cause it was so gruesome... there were penalties for getting hit by any of its powers, cause those were so icky... on and on. i eventually got tired of coming up with icky, gooey, nasty powers and never actually finished him. i think i only managed to spend half of the points i had come up with.

all in all, i think it gave me a firm appretiation of, and aversion for, ridiculously overpowered anything.

Rochin
02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
My first Super Hero if you want to call it that was in the Marvel Super Heroes world. I came into a game with some established players and they decided that it would be ok for me to pick a marvel character to play. So being the nice player I am I went with Sabretooth a.k.a. my favorite Marvel Character. Needless to say by the end of the game I had taken my evil villian and had him a member of the FBI on their Mutant Threat Unit. I had a hell of a lot of fun. My next character was a random rolled,in all aspects, frankenstein that made little sense the way everything was rolled, still fun though.

spotlight
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Never thought of Sabertooth as a member of the FBI. But, it does make a weird kind of sence. But, a random rolled character, HHMMMmmm .... I'll have to think on that a bit, it is very intrigueing.

nijineko
02-28-2009, 11:57 PM
my first official experience with rp'ing the supers genre was also marvel. lots of fun. =D

LAST CRUSADER
03-03-2009, 06:28 PM
As both a player and G.M. for more than 20 years (MAN! AM I OLD!) I've made hundreds of characters, both heroes and villains. Though i've never played a villain except as G.M. to check out both pictures and profile of some of my characters go to my site http://crusadergame.books.officelive.com/default.aspx

spotlight
03-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I looked at your least. Very extensive and nice. Your demon's name was easy to decifer though. But good anyway. If I were half the drawer that you are, I probly have such a list myself. Got lots more villans than heros, though.