PDA

View Full Version : Traveller rpg and online gamer junkies/experts, Thoth needs your advice/suggestions...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-11-2009, 01:21 AM
Traveller rpg and online gamer junkies/experts, Thoth needs your advice/suggestions...

I came across this product and was hoping someone on P&PG can give me details that go beyond the box. Is this worth it? Is the technology worth it, or outdated, and is there anything else you'd like to share, like experiences, second hand knowledge... anything. Thanks for everyone's advice ahead of time.

Here's the information i have so far:

TRAVELLER chronicles the universe of the far future... of the golden age of the Third Imperium. This is an age of prosperity and danger: traders and soldiers roam the worlds of the interstellar Imperium in search of profit and power, and risk their lives along the way!

GRIP (Generic Role-playing for Internet Players) allows Game Masters to run their campaigns over the Internet, or personal/local networks for up to 8 players using a specialized personal game server. GRIP is tailored made, and designed for online role-playing. Built from the ground up with Game Masters and Players in mind.

GRIP: The TRAVELLER Edition combines these two fantastic systems into one product, letting you get started with Traveller and get started gaming online! Even if you don't want to game online, the GRIP: Traveller Edition is a great tool for any Traveller Game Master! You get everything you need to play, around the kitchen table OR online, plus a number of handy Traveller Tools, such as a Character Generator, Ship Designer, and our multi-fuction InfoScreen system.

This special Traveller Boxed Edition includes:

* 56 page User's Manual
* 32 page Character Sheet Design Tutorial
* Character Sheet Markup Language Quik-Reference Card
* GRIP iGM (Game Master) Module
* GRIP iPC (Player) Module
* Grimshot's Gauntlet Fantasy Adventure for user with GRIP
* A Simple Twist of Fate Science Fiction Adventure for use with GRIP
* The Kinunir - The original, Traveller Adventure #1 for use with GRIP
* Research Station Gamma - The original, Traveller Adventure #2 for use with GRIP

What share you?

Razmus
07-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I've been looking at VTTs for running (probably GURPS) Traveller this week. GRiPs definitely has an advantage that there is already a lot built for it, but I was rather under the impression that it was out of print. It does appear that there are folks still selling it some, and there is an active users community
here-> http://grip.2ya.com/ and in Yahoo Groups. Poking around, it looks like the user community is working on a version 4. (I don't know if that user 'Hunter' is the same as the Hunter of CotI or not...)

Anyway, it would appear that the 60 day demo version is available:
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9&sid=21517a7b55713a444e7799dd05226e20&mforum=grip
(Pointer is to a forum entry -- I haven't tried downloading the software and haven't unpacked it.)

All that said, from my relatively brief research, I'm looking at BRPG seriously. I've downloaded and run that demo briefly, and hope to get back to it to see if it'll fit my needs better... when I get some of the rest of my work done. :-)

Drivvic the Southlander
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
It seems like a good idea its more than likely easier to get people together over the internet than it is in person these days.

WhiteTiger
08-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I played it once with some friends... end result was an EPIC FAIL !!!

cliff
08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
White Tiger - Just curious, are you specifically referring to using GRiP to game on the net? I've not used it, the only VTT I've spent much time with is Battlegrounds RPG. Would you mind giving some insight into why you hated the experience?

Harwel
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
What is the advantage of GRIP over the other dozen or so VTTs out there that it's worth actually spending money on? OpenRPG, Maptools, Gametable, Screenmonkey Lite, and more, are free. If they're going to charge for their product, they need to sell what's so much better about it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-08-2009, 12:35 AM
What is the advantage of GRIP over the other dozen or so VTTs out there that it's worth actually spending money on? OpenRPG, Maptools, Gametable, Screenmonkey Lite, and more, are free. If they're going to charge for their product, they need to sell what's so much better about it.
That's a great point, Harwel.

Razmus
08-08-2009, 07:48 AM
There's a pretty good list on the battlegroundsgames page.
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html

I guess for me, I want something that I can get up and running in a reasonable amount of time. I looked briefly at OpenRPG half a dozen years ago, and tried to learn enough Python at the time to do something with it, but was challenged because I was mess'n with it in 15-20 minute time blocks between doing other things. I never managed to get anything remotely functional, but that was several years ago.

When I have a little free time, I've been trying to figure out which VTT to try to learn and start using. I have a personal bias slightly against Java, 'cause I've had to support too many poorly written java applications in my day job. I've ruled out GRiPs for myself, but am really close to purchasing BRPG, but your message has convinced me I need to do some more research to make certain I'm making the right decision.

(I have to admit that I've been leaning towards BRPG because it is my perception that there is a fair but of already built GURPS tools. I don't mind paying an amount roughly analogious to what I'd pay for a suppliment or two, if the product is well supported and gets me going... )

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
08-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey Razmus, how long does it take to set up the typical room? I'm considering beginning a WFRP game online very soon and with WFRP, there are alot of city/town/village adventures and character positioning does play an important role. I like the screenshots given, but i need to be sure, for i am not looking to use software where time consumption is ridiculous.

Razmus
08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I wish I had a good answer for that. I'm still in the evaluation stages, trying to figure out what sort of security holes the software open up, what changes I'll need on my router, how to place figures, role dice, and use/build the tools in Battlegrounds. I'm still reading OpenRPG too, but that one seems to be strongly oriented towards D20 systems. I assume that means I can do anything I want, but will probably find less user support for CT or GURPS Traveller.

(And given that before I started looking at VTTs, I was spending months playing with a 20,000 ton deckplan in Campaign Cartographer 3 to learn THAT software, and have just started poking around at GIMP 2... I'm sure I'll be the slowest person building rooms and encounters for a while.)

WhiteTiger
08-09-2009, 01:31 PM
White Tiger - Just curious, are you specifically referring to using GRiP to game on the net? I've not used it, the only VTT I've spent much time with is Battlegrounds RPG. Would you mind giving some insight into why you hated the experience?

I was referring to Traveller tabletop not over the net...

cliff
08-10-2009, 04:31 PM

I believe GRiP was the FIRST VTT, and the impression I get from looking at their application and their interaction with the public, they are just a bunch of guys who wrote a VTT and tried to sell it since they were kind of blazing the trail. I haven't noticed a hugely successful marketing department or anything, so I suspect they just don't know what to do now that there's competition.

Hey Razmus, how long does it take to set up the typical room?

Battlegrounds RPG just uses any imge file as the map, so it depends what mapping software you use. I use Dundjinni, which can take some time to create maps depending on how bad your OCD is, but you can certainly make simpler maps and still have a lot of fun playing.

This is a relatively common method for a lot of the VTTs I've used, so the above will apply to a lot of other VTTs as well.

That said, there are several sites where users share maps that they made where you can frequently harvest maps that fit your needs so you don't have to spend as much time on it. Of course, this means you'll likely have some variation in the quality of your maps, but at least it should reduce the time spent prepping.

I was referring to Traveller tabletop not over the net...

Ah, my bad, totally misunderstood you.

nijineko
09-26-2009, 08:45 PM
i personally can recommend gametable, maptools, and battlegrounds rpg (brpg) as being worth while. i found grip ages ago in my initial searches, but it hasn't really gone anywhere seriously notable for some time. it also lacked features i wanted.

gametable is the best if you want simple, to the point, easy to use, a friendly community-though slow to respond sometimes(they are all volunteers, and none the original developers), and free.

maptools is the best if you want lots of nice features, a comprehensive interface, an active user community, support for multiple image types, and free.

battlegrounds is the best if you want swift response (at least that's been my experience in interacting with the creator), lots of neat features (adjustable lighting dynamically blocked by walls, anyone?), an active user community, and more.

i've heard a lot about dundjinn, but have not yet tried it.

i also use some mac-based tools, i'll pass over mentioning them for now.

cliff
09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
battlegrounds is the best if you want swift response (at least that's been my experience in interacting with the creator), lots of neat features (adjustable lighting dynamically blocked by walls, anyone?), an active user community, and more.

This is most definitely the case, Heruca is an incredibly active developer who takes the input of his community very seriously. It is also worth pointing out that he doesn't get religious about his progam, not only is he open to discussion about competitors but he keeps a very good list of them and points out new ones as they crop up. Heruca rocks.

i also use some mac-based tools, i'll pass over mentioning them for now.

Probably worth pointing out, Battleground RPG is available for the Mac too.