PDA

View Full Version : The Debate Thread

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 01:55 AM
well debates definitely come up on this site from time to time(present company included :) ) So I figured maybe it would be a cool idea if we started a debate thread on here.

1)Topics can be anything(not just gaming. anything you want to debate about).

2)At least two sides to each topic.

3)Keep it clean!

4)Try to remain civilized(although people on this site handle debates well from most everything that I have seen)

5)And remember, everyone is stating THEIR opinion! Don't take things too personally.

6)Hopefully we can keep this light-hearted(considering the potential for it getting heated)

7)Also, if you aren't interested in the current topic start another one. Multiple topics can be floating on the thread at the same time. People can just chime in on the topic of interest to them.

I'll let someone else pick a first topic....

Q-man
07-10-2009, 07:07 AM
Hmm a topic. How bout this: The Wii is the best of the latest generation consoles (which i consider includes the XBox 360 and the PS3). It may not have the best games of the three, but it did pioneer a new technology that takes gaming to the next level. The motion based controls is clearly the next thing for games, as you can see the other two quickly copied it.

Angelus_Nox
07-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I kind of agree in that it was very revolutionary (HAH! a pun!), but I wouldn't call the Wii the best console. Best is an incredibly subjective word.
If, for example, you measure what console is better by graphics, it's probably the 360, same for availability of games.

Q-man
07-10-2009, 07:46 AM
"Best" was a bit of a vague term I suppose. I guess I meant something along the lines of "Best for the hobby". Since the new controls had a huge novelty aspect to them, which could entertain old enthusiasts as well as new players.

As far as graphics I had thought the PS3 had better graphics? I've never been able to do a side by side comparison of that and the 360 so I can't say for certain. According to the specs I thought the PS3 was supposed to be better.

Angelus_Nox
07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm not really sure either, but I seem to remember reviewers complaining about some graphic stuff on the PS3, things like not very crisp edges and the likes. I could be confusing things tho, I own neither console.
A friend owns all 3, maybe I'll do a side by side comparison once I'm bored enough.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I think what is happening is the PS3 is still in its infancy stages whereas the X-Box 360 has been out for sometime now. Based on the specs the PS3 is the best system on the market, but they have to learn how to wield that power. The potential is greater than the 360, but X-Box right now is numero uno.

The Wii is the most innovative system though. It has already started to spawn a new system, Project Natal. Which is a system without any controls. It will be a full body motion capture video game system.

Angelus_Nox
07-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Natal looks pretty awesome. I'd love to see that kind of input device work as advertised. I just hope they change the name O_o It's like the situation with the Wii in reverse XD

Q-man
07-10-2009, 01:00 PM
The Wii is the most innovative system though. It has already started to spawn a new system, Project Natal. Which is a system without any controls. It will be a full body motion capture video game system.

Thats what I'm getting at though. The Wii brought the next step in the evolution of the gaming console. It may not be topping the sales charts and be the console everyone wants right now, but what its done to revitalize the console industry is pretty spectacular.

Not only did it bring in the next big innovation, but the approach that Nintendo took with the games has brought in a brand new crop of gamers to boot. With the simplistic style of the games and their low commitment casual feel, people that never would bother with a PS3 or XBox have come around to playing video games.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 01:07 PM
it definitely has drawn in the intimidated casual gamer crowd. Which systems had failed to do since Nintendo.

Angelus_Nox
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
That was the point of the Wii, if I remember correctly.
Just to make sure: I'm not disagreeing with you, it was just the "best" part that invoked my pedantic nature ;)

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 01:55 PM
well we seem to be in agreement so maybe this will be a better debate about the topic...

Which video game system out of all of the ones that have ever come out is the biggest, most influential system to ever have been made?

Arkhemedes
07-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey, I've got a topic. Let's debate on whether or not we need a thread with a topic that's as general as a thread for debating. I will take the stance of 'con' on this issue. I think that if you wanted to debate about something such as video games for instance, then you should have stated so from the beginning, after all, everyone of the threads on these boards falls into one of a few categories, one of those being debates on specific issues. Why do we need a thread so vague in its scope that we can't focus on one topic and which can be changed so randomly by any yahoo that comes along with a wild hair up his @$$ (case in point).

I am just sayin'. Okay, now for the 'pros'... :biggrin:

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 04:53 PM
the pro's would be that the thread is wide open for anyone to debate about anything instead of boxing the thread into just one topic so that it dies quickly. This way the thread will stay alive much longer and people can appreciate it for what it is...entertainment. Also there can be 10 topics of debate going on at the same time if people want it so. Then anyone and everyone has a subject that most likely interests them on this thread.

Arkhemedes
07-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Counterpoint: So this thread is really all about how long we can keep a thread alive by including everything under the sun, rather that trying to make any real point? I see. Too bad we don't get points for that kind of thing any more huh?

Okay, your turn. :biggrin:

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 08:27 PM
lol coming from the never ending sentence guy! game set match? :)

Angelus_Nox
07-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Some topics don't need their own thread, be it because everyone agrees on the same things, be it that the topic is so minor, be it that only a few people have anything to say about it.

Hm... the biggest, most influental video game system... Probably a tie between one of the early PCs (Commodore 64/ 128, Amiga, etc.) and the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.
The early PCs got video gaming from the Arcades into your living room (or office or wherever), whereas the SNES made the first steps in taking the hobby out of the niche. You were still a nerd when you played, for example, Star Fox, but far less so than with games such as Giana Sisters.

Arkhemedes
07-11-2009, 10:37 AM
lol coming from the never ending sentence guy! game set match? :)
<With palms together before face, bowing low and speaking with a Chinese accent:>

"Ah sooo! You have pwoven once again to be a Master Debater. I concede victowy to you. This has been a most enjoyable wittle debate. But I will get you next time Panthwo! Aargh!"

<Waves fist in the air, turns and leaves.>

Panthro82
07-11-2009, 11:43 AM
:laugh:Ark!

I would almost have to say the Nintendo would be the ultimate system. (even though to this day I still play super nintendo!) The Atari was a blast. It was the first nationwide console that turned people on to video gaming. I think the Nintendo revolutionized home consoles and the video gaming industry though. It appealed to a broader audience and started the whole technology war that is still going on today. Plus Nintendo had titles that are still being used by the industry today. Final Fantasy, Super Mario, Zelda, e.t.c.