PDA

View Full Version : Secret Chat Roll

Panthro82
07-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to create an option where you can do a secret roll in chat? It would help the chat room based games run a million times smoother and give certain information to only players who should have it. At this time whenever you send a PM in chat and try to roll dice in it, it shows up on the main page for all to see.

cplmac
07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Although the rest of the folks may see the result of the roll, unless it is stated what the roll was actually for, then they wouldn't know what the dice roll was about. In my Destiny of Kings game that I run in the Chat, there are times that what happens is based on the outcome of a die roll. I just type up the command and go with what the result is. I don't tell the players what I am rolling for, and have never been asked what that die roll was made for either.

yukonhorror
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I just use real dice for those circumstances.

Panthro82
07-10-2009, 12:25 PM
yea both good ideas. I figured it might be a hard thing to do based on the way the chat is set up(secret roll). Another way is to have chat up and in another page have the P&PG site up so you can PM the DM your roll. Takes a bit of effort and can slow the game down a little bit though.

Lucian-Sunaka
07-11-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't know how difficult it is, but msn messenger plus has a script that does just that. The text used for it is /sroll in place of /roll and it pops up with a little message saying what the roll was. If it were done in here I imagine it would happen as a PM to the secret roller.

(As a side note, the chat's been an awesome resource, and personally I never had any problems with it, I'm an above board DM who's never used a screen or hidden rolls, and never will)

Panthro82
07-11-2009, 01:43 PM
hmm, nice suggestion I will have to try that out. Thanks Lucian.

nijineko
07-19-2009, 07:29 PM
the chat room includes the capability of private messaging within the chat. not sure if it'll roll or not, easy enough to try. ^^ and you can send the results of a roll that way easily enough even if it doesn't. =D

Panthro82
07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
the chat room includes the capability of private messaging within the chat. not sure if it'll roll or not, easy enough to try. ^^ and you can send the results of a roll that way easily enough even if it doesn't. =D

Yea I tried a PM roll and it doesn't work it just displays it for everyone to see. I have to try Lucian's idea though, I hadn't thought of that and it just might work.

Lucian-Sunaka
07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
My comment was offering a suggestion to Farcaster and whoever else might be involved in the technical stuff. I already knew that the /sroll script didn't run here.

However, like I said, I've always rolled above board and infront of everyone. At table games, in chat games, the works. To me, I'm just a player playing the world, not some omniscient force. In my games the whole table sees every roll, DM's included.

Panthro82
07-23-2009, 05:22 PM
yea but the value of a secret roll is sometimes incredibly valuable.

nijineko
07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
However, like I said, I've always rolled above board and infront of everyone. At table games, in chat games, the works. To me, I'm just a player playing the world, not some omniscient force. In my games the whole table sees every roll, DM's included.

one of my dms does this, the other does not. i've never really seen a problem with either method. they can both be worked with, and worked around as needed. ^^

i myself have used both methods.

WhiskeyFur
10-01-2009, 02:20 PM
yea but the value of a secret roll is sometimes incredibly valuable.

Even if at times the DM rolls, doesn't describe what it's for and chuckles evilly...

Players assume that there's something nasty coming, not knowing the DM was just rolling to decide what he wanted for dinner.

I would /never/ do that... :evil: