PDA

View Full Version : Moon (film staring Sam Rockwell).

Valdar
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I went to see this the other day- and like most movies I actually manage to make it to, I'd highly recommend it.

In fact, if you groaned at all the "science" in the recent Star Trek movie, you're under an obligation to see it, since it's probably the most realistic SF movie to hit the big screen in this decade.

There were things in the movie (like HE3 mining) that I was like, "Huh? Well, ok, I can certainly buy for the sake of a good movie that there's a heretofore undiscovered radioactive substance on the moon that could solve the world's energy crisis, but don't you think we'd know about it now?"

One trip to Wikipedia, and yes, space nut that I am, I am embarrased to admit that I'd never heard of Helium 3, nor that the US, Russia, and China are all speculating about how it can be mined...

The only thing that really irked me was the gravity. Moon gravity outside, earth-normal gravity inside, with no mention of gravity generators anywhere. Since it's the most unrealistic visual in a low-budget SF movie, I'm quite willing to expend some willing suspension of disbelief on that one, and just assume that it was too expensive or distracting to show. At least nobody ever took falling damage in the movie.

Last bit: Some will recommend that you avoid spoilers, since there's a rather dire point in the movie that any sort of spoiler will give away, but it comes early on, and the movie isn't really about the big reveal (no, it's not about Soylent Green being people), so read away. I'll avoid mentioning it here though.

So, I know it will be tough to find, since I read at one point that it was showing in 21 theaters nationwide (and two of them are here in Seattle, so that only leaves 19 for the rest of you), but has anyone else here seen it?

Harwel
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Until the Seattle area gets a movie theater like the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin TX, all movies wait for DVD for me. :lol:

Valdar
07-09-2009, 12:30 PM
You're in luck- this place just opened a month and a half ago:

http://www.cinebarre.com/mountlake.html

Harwel
07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Hmmm... beer selection could use some work, but Red Hook ESB makes the grade. Thanks for the link! I might actually be able to drag the wife there. :D

Valdar
07-09-2009, 07:21 PM
You're welcome- I have yet to go myself, but it's on my to-do list.

What's missing from the beer menu? I'm seeing Guinness and Mac & Jacks, so I'd be happy there-

templeorder
07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
My friend and his wife went there, said it was comfortable and pleasant atmosphere.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Wow, i'm seeing pretty good reviews for this film. I'll try and make it out to catch it. Thanks for the find.

Harwel
07-09-2009, 09:35 PM
You're welcome- I have yet to go myself, but it's on my to-do list.

What's missing from the beer menu? I'm seeing Guinness and Mac & Jacks, so I'd be happy there-

I find their lack of quality stouts and porters disturbing. I don't consider the Guinness you get in the States to be very good to be honest.

Valdar
07-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I'm more of an amber fan now. Back when I did stouts, I wouldn't touch Guinness- way too light body to be a tasty beer. It's best enjoyed with a shot of Jameson on the side to bring out the flavor.

Porters have a weird aftertaste for me. I can't describe it, really.