PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played any ORE games?

Harwel
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Been trawling around some other forums, and my curiosity has been piqued by a lot of the talk of ORE (One Roll Engine) games, particularly REIGN since fantasy is my favorite genre. It seems to have a pretty loyal following.

The general principle of the game is d10, dice pool based. Stats + Skills determine your dice pool for an action. Each stat or skill runs from 1-5 dice. However, you don't total the dice against a difficulty number. Rather, you look at your matched sets of dice to determine success or failure, as well as other qualities. For example, in combat, your one roll determines to-hit, damage, and initiative all in one (hence One Roll Engine). Out of combat, it determines whether you succeed, and how long you take. This is determined by "width" (number of matches) and "height" (the number rolled that matches). So if you roll a pair of 8's, your outcome is 2x8 (width 2, height 1). This can be further flavored with "wiggle dice" (or trump dice or master dice, depending on which ORE game), which you pick the result for, or "hard dice" which are always 10. Some ORE games apparently also replace "hard dice" with "expert dice" which you assign a value to prior to the roll. These obviously represent much more powerful abilities if you have these in your dice pool. A single "trump die" indicates guaranteed success for most any task.

I have no earthly clue what happens if you roll 2 pair or a straight. :lol:

Anyways I have just downloaded the NEMESIS free horror RPG (http://www.arcdream.com/dennis/NEMESIS.pdf) that uses ORE to kind of get a feel for how the system works. It sounds interesting, and fast, but I have no idea how it plays in practice. Anyone have any hands-on with any ORE games?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Downloaded it. Will be perusing it as early as tomorrow. As of today, must do final. Will be a sucky day, all in all. Argh! Ugh! <Thoth grumbles>

Harwel
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Well one questioned answered so far... if you roll more than one set of matches you pick one you prefer, unless you're attempting multiple actions. If you attempt multiple actions, you NEED more than one set of matches. :eek:

So far it looks like there are a lot of dials you can turn in this system to tune it. It's funky. Yes I should be working, but this is interesting...

Dark
07-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Looks very interesting from the quick scan I read through.

MortonStromgal
07-06-2009, 09:47 PM
No but I have read through a few. From friends I have heard it works great till someone hits 10 then it kinda falls apart.

Harwel
07-07-2009, 09:30 AM
No but I have read through a few. From friends I have heard it works great till someone hits 10 then it kinda falls apart.

See, now, to me 9/10 dice seems like where it would start getting interesting, because you actually have a bit of a chance of succeeding with multiple actions and stuff. But again, this is just from a read-through, so I'd defer to experience. I also have to say that if you want to roll a ridiculous handful of dice like that, almost ANY game could do full task resolution in a single die roll. (To me, rolling more than about 3-4 dice at once qualifies as "a ridiculous handful", as IME they tend to scatter all over the table, bounce on to the floor and such).

MortonStromgal
07-07-2009, 01:48 PM
the problem they had with 10 dice is that means your going against stuff with 11 dice or more or you may hit 11 dice or more, which then the rules change drastically because you can only ever roll 10 dice and your preselect sets. If I understand it correctly if you get 12 dice you preselect 2 numbers and roll 10.

Harwel
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM
the problem they had with 10 dice is that means your going against stuff with 11 dice or more or you may hit 11 dice or more, which then the rules change drastically because you can only ever roll 10 dice and your preselect sets. If I understand it correctly if you get 12 dice you preselect 2 numbers and roll 10.

Hmmm, this isn't how the rules for NEMESIS read. Going by that rulebook (page 7), dice above 10 are just lost. However they could help you offset (for example) a die penalty for multiple actions or a called shot (so that if your dice pool is 11d, you just roll 10d whether you're taking 1 or two actions). You can only preselect numbers if you have one or more expert dice, which are rare.

edit: Anyway, further reading has lead me to conclude that this game system doesn't really appeal to the simulationist in me. At least, the combat doesn't. It could be tweaked, but I'd probably just use a system that requires less tweaking.

CEBedford
07-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Dice beyond 10 do indeed offset penalties but are otherwise not rolled. At least that's how it works in every other ORE game and I'm fairly certain they didn't change it in Reign. My book is packed right now or I'd double check.

There are special die types which allow you to set them to any number.

ORE is a great system once your group gets used the way things flow. Reign is nifty with an interesting world although it might be a bit weird for some people's taste.

The best part about ORE is that it's basic mechanic is incredibly capable of being fine tuned to your heart's content with very little work if any at all.

amardolem
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
I have Reign (a fellow by the name of Boulet on here was going to run a pbp but he and myself didn't feel like we enough grasp on the rules to make it smooth) but I have to try it out. Seems really cool tho