PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fantasy Plots, Stories, and Settings.

Soft Serve
07-06-2009, 10:08 AM
One of the reasons a lot of us play Tabletop is for the story. So what are some of the favorite all time game plots for Fantasy games out there?

My favorite one of my own was where players could travel to the astral realm and find massive yellow gates that lead to different campaign settings. They could be in my original world (Sigilstar) and then take an astral ship to Eberron, Zeo-Yimu (Oriental Adventures), Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, The Spirit World (Ghostwalk), Toril (Forgotten Realms), Muhali (Al-Qadim), Amias (Ravenloft), and several other original campaign ideas like Bheal, Agrana, Oexx (Based on the Shivering Isles of Oblivion), Toquuteq (Aztec setting), and Whoegg.

Likewise I had an amazing list of classes, races, and prestige classes available. Every race from every supplement was available (Races of Stone, Psionics, Races of Destiny, all that.) And I had 200+ in Prestige Classes for the players to choose from.

While my group in this world ended before they really got a chance to flesh it out or for me to finish the site completely here is my completed works of it. www.dogphish.webs.com (http://www.dogphish.webs.com).

But that is my own personal favorite story/setting. It really however had no plot since I let the characters make their own...they seemed content with starting a war...:D

Oldgamer
07-06-2009, 10:44 AM
My favorite as a DM is a campaign I ran several years ago called The Rise of Asmodeus, set in Greyhawk. This was a 2nd Ed AD&D game where the characters began as 1st level characters and it would've ran them into the 20's had it not been for RL getting in the way and the group broke up. But it went on for more than 5 or 6 years in the 90's. I'm planning on setting it up again for a 3.5 PbP, in a homebrew world this time in the near future; as soon as I can get the world developed and ironed out with maps, cities, politics, NPC's, etc.

Soft Serve
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
My favorite as a DM is a campaign I ran several years ago called The Rise of Asmodeus, set in Greyhawk. This was a 2nd Ed AD&D game where the characters began as 1st level characters and it would've ran them into the 20's had it not been for RL getting in the way and the group broke up. But it went on for more than 5 or 6 years in the 90's. I'm planning on setting it up again for a 3.5 PbP, in a homebrew world this time in the near future; as soon as I can get the world developed and ironed out with maps, cities, politics, NPC's, etc.

How is Asmodeus btw?

Oldgamer
07-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Angry at his latest imprisonment I'm afraid ... not quite the gentleman I used to know.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
One of the reasons a lot of us play Tabletop is for the story. So what are some of the favorite all time game plots for Fantasy games out there?

My favorite one of my own was where players could travel to the astral realm and find massive yellow gates that lead to different campaign settings. They could be in my original world (Sigilstar) and then take an astral ship to Eberron, Zeo-Yimu (Oriental Adventures), Frostburn, Sandstorm, Stormwrack, The Spirit World (Ghostwalk), Toril (Forgotten Realms), Muhali (Al-Qadim), Amias (Ravenloft), and several other original campaign ideas like Bheal, Agrana, Oexx (Based on the Shivering Isles of Oblivion), Toquuteq (Aztec setting), and Whoegg.

Likewise I had an amazing list of classes, races, and prestige classes available. Every race from every supplement was available (Races of Stone, Psionics, Races of Destiny, all that.) And I had 200+ in Prestige Classes for the players to choose from.

While my group in this world ended before they really got a chance to flesh it out or for me to finish the site completely here is my completed works of it. www.dogphish.webs.com (http://www.dogphish.webs.com).

But that is my own personal favorite story/setting. It really however had no plot since I let the characters make their own...they seemed content with starting a war...:D
Thoth cant wait to spend quite a bit of time perusing the site you've listed, Soft Serve.

Harwel
07-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Would it be bad to say "anything but Forgotten Realms"?

Soft Serve
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Thoth cant wait to spend quite a bit of time perusing the site you've listed, Soft Serve.

You and anyone else is very welcome to steal that idea. Hell if you actually use it I'll give you the username and pass for it so you can edit it yourself. I'm not working on it anymore.

No it would not, but to be more specific of your actual "favorite" coulden't hurt either. :)

Harwel
07-06-2009, 12:58 PM
No it would not, but to be more specific of your actual "favorite" coulden't hurt either. :)

I really liked Glorantha back in the day. Haven't played in any Glorantha based games in many a year a though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Nope, not liking something is just fine on these boards. As i am sure there are things i like that you don't care for. In the end, we all agree on what's important: rpgs.

MortonStromgal
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Mythic Earth

I like it to be earth more or less with some fantasy elements. Ars Magica, Dark Ages Vampire/Mage/Werewolf/Fae/Inquisitor, Shadowrun, etc all have earth with twists.

Soft Serve
07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Mythic Earth

I like it to be earth more or less with some fantasy elements. Ars Magica, Dark Ages Vampire/Mage/Werewolf/Fae/Inquisitor, Shadowrun, etc all have earth with twists.

Someone had one where each race had a country in the earth. Humans had America I think, Dark elves had Greenland, elves had Brazil. I forget the rest.

Parzival
07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Intrigue between the nobility, the crown, and the clergy.

Harwel
07-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Mythic Earth

I was actually thinking about an alternate timeline "Antedevulian Earth" setting where the lost continents of Atlantis, Lemuria, and Mu never sank. With these cultures still going, the secrets of magic they possessed were never lost. There would not be as much need for technology with that kind of magic, and it would make for a much different world.

Lemuria was legended to have reptile people and nagas and such, and black magic was reputed to have been rife in all three (and by many legends is the reason they sank). Set the game late bronze age or early iron age, but with the movers and shakers being the Atlanteans, Lemurians, and, ummm, Mu-ans(??) rather than the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc who might be subject states. Plato had the Atlanteans being pretty aggressive and militaristic, and other writers had them having an empire spanning or influencing a good number of the coasts of the Americas and Europe... Map of the Atlantean Empire here (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Atlantis_map_1882.jpg).

OMG I so want to do this now. There's a wealth of crazy writings and speculation about those cultures out there to draw from. Saves a lot of work coming up with my own stuff. :lol:

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I started loving the 'altered earth' world with WFRP. Very happy with it.

Soft Serve
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I started loving the 'altered earth' world with WFRP. Very happy with it.

I like the advanced version of risk. Risk 2210 I think it's called...They rise atlantis and several bits and pieces of the world become toxic wastelands. The moon is inhabitable and such. It's an amazing game.