PDA

View Full Version : Castles and Crusades

Dark
07-05-2009, 12:43 PM
A world of heroism and epic adventure lives inside each of our minds. We can all imagine a world where stalwart knights battle ancient dragons, powerful wizards duel one another with mighty magics, and the brave-of-heart rescue mystic artifacts from the clutches of evil villains. These are the kinds of adventures many of us create in our minds on lazy afternoons, reading through our favorite novels. A pair of nefarious rogues make their way through serpentine alleys and rambling cities, seeking fortune and fame. A band of desperate heroes battle against an inevitable apocalypse, standing for justice and honor as the world succumbs to chaos and evil. A fellowship of brave adventurers descends into dungeons deep beneath the earth in search of treasure and glory or undertakes the eternal struggle against evil, battling foes across wasted and barren plains. We imagine other worlds and mystical places fraught with danger. In these worlds of fantasy, magic is real and heroes abound.

Hello I am tossing it out there to see if I get anyone interested in playing in my new pbp Castles and Crusades game. The game is easy to play and it isn't rules heavy like some games. At its heart, C&C is intended to be a fun game to play. Castles & Crusades is not a realistic-simulation game! Castles & Crusades is a fantasy game where imagination rules.

Deadone
07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Sweet I've always wanted to play Castles and Crusades since I've saw the Player's Handbook. I have it up in my brother's attic. Give me call when we have enough players to start.

Theophan
07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I'd like to learn more. This is a Play By Post game I believe?

Deadone
07-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes that's what it says funny thing I was about to ask that myself until I went and reread Dark's post.

Dark
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Correct it is a play by post game Theophan what do you want to know about the game?

Theophan
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm new to PBP for RPGs (though I've done it with Star Trek before, in a strictly-narrative, dice-less mode).

Some questions and comments:

How does it work?
e.g. Do you use forum software? Is there is an online dice generator we'd use or how do we do our rolls? Is there a naming convention for in-character vs. out-of-character chatter (in our Star Trek RPG we had naming conventions and acronyms to facilitate play).
I found Yahoo Groups a good forum software in my previous (Star Trek) campaigns.

What is the frequency/time commitment?
In the Star Trek RPGs I've done, some are high-time commitment (requiring multiple posts a day) others are more moderate (one post a day, etc.). Just wondering on your thoughts about this. Not sure if free-form PBP translates to RPG PBP though, so maybe it's a different paradigm.

Would you be the CC/GM?
Dark, you'd be the Castle Keeper I'm thinking?

Getting the word out regarding the campaign:
Have you considered announcing the campaign in a place like this?:
http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

I hope we can get a good group together as I'm interested in pursuing this! Thanks for starting this.

By the way, I'm a webmaster-type, so if you need help with any of the technical infrastructure (forum setup, blogs, etc.) I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Dark
07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Some questions and comments:

Q1.How does it work? No software I use photobucket for any pictures I post for maps. As for using a online dice generator I leave that to the player. If you have dice dust them off and use them if you like if not there are quite a few online rollers you can use I like WoTC one. If I understand how you put it there will be a in character post area and a OOC out-of-character area. I use yahoo groups quite often in fact I run two other groups one is a 3.5 D&D and the other is a D20 Modern Zombie.

Q2.What is the frequency/time commitment? Posting times will be up to the group once a day is OK or every other day or in my other two with the group mind being very busy post three times a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) Like I said it is up to the group I am very flexible.

Q3.Would you be the CC/GM? Yep I am the Castle Keeper or DM or GM or head-cheese ;).

Getting the word out regarding the campaign:I have considered announcing the campaign here as I did in my last two games. Once a get a few nibbles. I hope we can get a good group together as well.

Thank you for your kind offer of help and if this game takes off you are more than welcomed.

Deadone
07-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I play in both games great group of people. Hey I talked to Peter he said he is in if it is a 3 day posting. So that is 3 people so its shaping up bud.

Theophan
07-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Awesome! I have the C&C Handbook, so I'm all set to go.

Dark
07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok I set up the fourm on Yahoo Groups the link is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Castlesncrusades (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Castlesncrusades)once you join up I will upgrade your rank.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
OK here is the basics I want for character creation pretty cut and dry but all the same I put it here should anyone else wish to join up. So if anyone else is interested just give me a pm or post your interest here. So far I have three people in the party.

1. Imagine your Character: Decide, in a general manner, the type of character desired. Is the character a noble dwarf fighter, a haggard half-orc barbarian, or a disdainful elf knight? Literature, film, theater and comic books are rife with examples of heroes and villains that players can draw upon for inspiration for their characters. Yet, as the creator of your own character, you can build upon these examples to create complex villainous montages or even more profoundly heroic and noble characters. Stretch your imagination! Create the character as you imagine him or her to be. In the end, imagination is the only limit when creating a persona.

2. Roll your Attributes: Each character has six attributes, generated by rolling dice. The attributes are: strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom and charisma. After rolling the dice to generate these scores, you can choose how those scores are placed. Naturally, it is important to place the scores in a manner that reflects your character concept, desired class and desired race.

3.Choose your Class: Each of the thirteen classes has unique abilities and specialized areas of knowledge.

The Fighter is a warrior with great prowess on the battlefield.
The Ranger is an extraordinary woodsman and warrior.
The Rogue is a rapscallion and an opportunist.
The Assassin is an expert at killing and eliminating targeted enemies.
The Barbarian draws upon vestigial, primal will in combat.
The Monk’s body is conditioned to withstand the rigors of war and the elements.
The Wizard is a practitioner of powerful arcane magics.
The Illusionist magically distorts the perceptions of others.
The Cleric is avowed to a deity and dispenses divine justice.
The Druid owes allegiance to the elemental powers of the world.
The Knight is a natural leader and strong combatant.
The Paladin is a warrior blessed by divinity, a paragon of good.
The Bard influences others through the power of words.

4. Choose your Race: In Castles & Crusades, one can choose the versatile human, a long-lived elf, a willful dwarf, a curious gnome, a quick-footed halfling, a forlorn half-elf, or a pernicious half-orc.

5. Fleshing out your Character: The most important step in character generation comes last: detailing the character’s persona. The player fleshes out the details of the character's personality, physical description, world view, background, goals and motivations – including the moral "alignment" best suited to the character’s personality. Then the character’s starting money is determined and the player equips the character with clothing, armor, weapons and other adventuring gear. The player also determines the character’s hit points I give max hps for level 1 you roll normal for each level thereafter. The starting level is 3rd and no magical items to start with.

Deadone
07-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Hey I have to head up to Albany tonight I will drop off my sheet on the way.

Dark
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Update we are at 4 players for the game if anyone else wants in let me know soon.

Dark
07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm pleased to announce that the game has enough players and will start this Friday.

Deadone
07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Whoo hooo!

nijineko
07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
there is a dice roller built into the forums here....

Dark
07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Yes I know and is one of the rollers I recommend to players if they ask.