PDA

View Full Version : Monies!

cigamnogard
07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
So, other than the pole / ladder sales idea and adventuring - what's the best idea on how to make $?

Solkris
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Well, that depends on level and edition really. In 4th edition, there is the high level ritualist's ring which lets you cast a ritual with a 25% discount. There is an epic destiny that does the same thing. With both, you could go into the magic item sales business (enchant item ritual) in a planar city and probably make a pretty penny.

cigamnogard
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Level = Currently 2nd
Campaign = Eberron
Edition = 3.5

kitsune1842
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Drugs. Best idea I have ever seen someone come up with to make money in DND, other than adventuring and stealing from Dragons, was in drugs. Character was a Psion in 3.5 with really high Alchemy skill, bought a buncha land, grew various plants he could make into drugs and a lot of tobacco. Eventually he bought enough land to offer a portion to some druids for the sake of keeping the plants on his land healthy and productive.

My character eventually had to kill him cause he decided to betray us and try poisoning half the group, but his income as a drug king pin was pretty high till we burnt his fields and gave it all to the druids to plant what they want.

Tamburlain
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Paid research volunteer for Wizards' academy. They're always looking for guinea pigs.

tesral
07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Making magic items.

Oldgamer
07-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you trying to get wealthy in a career? Or just trying to make a few bucks to help pay for something before heading out on an adventure? In Eberron, knowing Continual Flame is a staple for most communities :)

cigamnogard
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Paid research volunteer for Wizards' academy. They're always looking for guinea pigs.
No.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Making magic items.
That's what I need the $ for! :)

Drugs. Best idea I have ever seen someone come up with to make money in DND, other than adventuring and stealing from Dragons, was in drugs. Character was a Psion in 3.5 with really high Alchemy skill, bought a buncha land, grew various plants he could make into drugs and a lot of tobacco.

I could have a deccent alchemy skill if I put ranks into as the charcter is a gnome. However, somehow I think a paladin or two would soon be after my character. Also the character is currently lawful good. Yet, how much does tabacco sell for? Where do/would I find that information?

kitsune1842
07-04-2009, 12:30 AM
The kicker is I can't remember how the group figured the stats on how much tobacco sold for and how much they could make by selling it. My character being a Samurai kinda stayed out of that part.

wizarddog
07-04-2009, 02:40 AM
I always thought the surest way of getting money was killing monsters and taking their stuff. Guess thats not as profitable as it use to be....

If your a spell caster, why can't you offer your spell casting at the given rate? Not too shabby for less than a minute of your time.

Another good option is to follow L. Ron Hubbards model and start your own church. That's where the real money is ;)

DMMike
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Good one!

cigamnogard, D&D characters are usually good at one thing: taking risks. But since you said you were looking for something besides adventuring, you'll have to look past your primary talent for making money. As you mentioned, this is alchemy. You could make big bucks crafting illegal goods, as long as you're willing to wander into taking risks/adventuring territory. Otherwise, keep it legal, and hope that the laws of supply and demand allow you to make a decent margin on your efforts.

Besides that, start a bank.

Or you could get really dirty, and exploit the flaws in your DM's campaign world. Is healing easy to come across? Sell your talents as a pin-cushion to a theatre troupe (Come see the man who can survive axe wounds!). Do you have a direct audience with the local royalty? Sell state secrets to the Orcs.

cigamnogard
07-06-2009, 04:19 PM
I always thought the surest way of getting money was killing monsters and taking their stuff. Guess thats not as profitable as it use to be....

No, the DM has awarded $0.00 gold for 100% of our random monster encounters...:(

If your a spell caster, why can't you offer your spell casting at the given rate? Not too shabby for less than a minute of your time.

Artificer - adventuring...

Another good option is to follow L. Ron Hubbards model and start your own church. That's where the real money is ;)

Now, this has potential!

Good one!

cigamnogard, D&D characters are usually good at one thing: taking risks. But since you said you were looking for something besides adventuring, you'll have to look past your primary talent for making money. As you mentioned, this is alchemy. You could make big bucks crafting illegal goods, as long as you're willing to wander into taking risks/adventuring territory. Otherwise, keep it legal, and hope that the laws of supply and demand allow you to make a decent margin on your efforts.

Besides that, start a bank.

Or you could get really dirty, and exploit the flaws in your DM's campaign world. Is healing easy to come across? Sell your talents as a pin-cushion to a theatre troupe (Come see the man who can survive axe wounds!). Do you have a direct audience with the local royalty? Sell state secrets to the Orcs.

We are in Eberron...any ideas now?

kitsune1842
07-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Eberron?

Why not open up shop as a Private investigator in Sharn?

templeorder
07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Short term? Illicit operations - drugs, gambling, protection - the usual way scumbags makes it.

Long term? Investment. We always throw in a finance skill. Investing in merchant runs, buying and selling of goods. Buy a business (inn, tenement, etc.)...

Interesting ideas? "Finder" - hire yourself out as a finder of rare and difficult goods - make a profit while adventuring.

nijineko
07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
in sharn? subsidized insurance is the way to go... especially to tourists, then you get to collect on it as a co-subsidizer. just make sure there are enough blind drops between you and your "travel agency" service offering to subsidize, your "insurance company", and your "local sharn guide" service. ^^

emblasochist
07-09-2009, 09:01 AM
No, the DM has awarded $0.00 gold for 100% of our random monster encounters...:(

Artificer - adventuring...

Now, this has potential!

We are in Eberron...any ideas now?

Ask your DM why she/he's not rewarding your party's efforts would be my first thing. If he actually wants the party to not go adventuring for the time being, then maybe an option would to be a tinkerer or warforged repairman or something similar. After all, from my understanding, an artificer is a magic user that is knowledgeable about techonolgical things, right?

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Ask your DM why she/he's not rewarding your party's efforts would be my first thing. If he actually wants the party to not go adventuring for the time being, then maybe an option would to be a tinkerer or warforged repairman or something similar. After all, from my understanding, an artificer is a magic user that is knowledgeable about techonolgical things, right?

Why is the DM not rewarding us with $?
My apologies for explaining/expanding on that point the scenarios he has put us in pretty much have been self explanatory.
For example - we smell a bad stench and go to investigate. We "encounter" two otughs (spelling?) who are guarding a large pit of garbage (literally as it is the town's garbage dump)
= zero gold
An option would to be a tinkerer or warforged repairman?
Good idea and I repair our own warforged but as we are in Eldeen Reaches there is not too much technology as the druids frown on it. Also warforged are also few and far between in that area for the same reason.

WhiskeyFur
07-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Invest in your local wood cutter for a cut of the profits, like that axe +1 your party no longer has a use for. Then later on when you need something you have a source.

"Remember that axe we rented to you? yea well, we heard your business was doing great and now we're interested in withdrawing our part of the profits, on a weekly basis."

All it takes is a bit of imagination, and a bit of risk taking but the pay offs can be worth it.

I suppose if the DM's willing to play ball, instead of getting half price for a reusable magic item, you get a small percentage of the cost of the item every week or month, until you take it back or the DM rules it's a loss.

I did this for some players in the past, kept track of the income in a spreadsheet. From their investments, they collected about 500k by the time they hit 10th level, all off of their discarded magic items.

Think of it as a retirement fund. :)

Valdar
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Offer to rotate DMs.

Have the party find loads of cash.

Strike a deal with one of your other players to "launder" money from the campaign you're running to the campaign you're playing in.

Profit!

Seriously, your DM isn't coming up with treasure because he hates homework, and that's what coming up with treasure parcels is. Your game may very well come to an end when you start fighting monsters that can only be hit by weapons you can't afford and don't own.

emblasochist
07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Or just steal money from the druids because hell, in D&D, in any edition EVERYONE has money. Once you do, get the hell out of the area you're in because its not the right place for your party since you're in need of money because you can't make magic weapons. Or the other thing is that you possibly shouldn't NEED a magic weapon yet...

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I suppose if the DM's willing to play ball, instead of getting half price for a reusable magic item, you get a small percentage of the cost of the item every week or month, until you take it back or the DM rules it's a loss.

Better idea than the 60% I managed to secure after a lot of diplomacy rolls.

Or just steal money from the druids because hell, in D&D, in any edition EVERYONE has money.
Actually the druid is missing - check out the artificer's tale in my blog area :)

Seriously, your DM isn't coming up with treasure because he hates homework, and that's what coming up with treasure parcels is.
Pardon? He is or is not?

emblasochist
07-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Dude, I can't help but feel like you are looking for excuses for why something won't work rather than finding ways to make something work... I know I am guilty of it at times and the trick is to force yourself to MAKE one solution work...

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Fair enough - you might get that perception but I have already considered most of these possiblities - well except for the drug sales (I like the idea, but it won't work for the character being lawful good and all). Also Whiskyfur's idea is great and I will be trying it out.

WhiskeyFur
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Something else that just came to mind. Got an excess of cash? Are you always passing by the same inn over and over? Make a huge investment in the inn in exchange for free room and board. Never have to pay room fees again.

Not all profit is measured in coin.

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Something else that just came to mind. Got an excess of cash? Are you always passing by the same inn over and over? Make a huge investment in the inn in exchange for free room and board. Never have to pay room fees again.

Now this is a good idea too! I have a feeling we will be moving on but a share of monies sent on a monthly basis has a lot merit! Either going forward or if we stay in the area a while getting the residuals. Very :cool:

Valdar
07-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Pardon? He is or is not?

Is not- right? You mentioned that you're level 2 and haven't seen a single GP in treasure- was that as in, your characters are dead broke, or as in there hasn't been any actual cash, and it's all magic items?

If it's the former, you're gonna be in trouble soon. In 3e, I think the treasure you get in GP should be pretty close to the XP you're earning (that is, total value of stuff looted)- that's the way the game is balanced, anyway. Pretty soon you're going to be missing a lot because the CR system assumes a certain number of plusses on your weapons- and as I mentioned, when you start facing things with DR, you're going to die if you don't have the hardware to fight it.

cigamnogard
07-09-2009, 07:41 PM
XP = GP = not even close!
You are right we are in big trouble in that regards - hence my reason for this entire post! in total we have maybe gotten 200 gp plus a few weapons from enemy dead (2 small bows, two small swords, 16 small stone knives, 2 small quivers with 100 small arrows, and six pots of alchemist fire).

emblasochist
07-09-2009, 07:58 PM

While this is true, unless you make a habit of sleeping in the beds at one inn more often that you sleep outside in a cave or a dungeon or even anywhere else, the campaign would have to be several years long before the investment into an inn would be worthwhile just to get free room and board, unless you view an investment to be somewhere around 100 gp total...

Valdar
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM
XP = GP = not even close!
You are right we are in big trouble in that regards - hence my reason for this entire post! in total we have maybe gotten 200 gp plus a few weapons from enemy dead (2 small bows, two small swords, 16 small stone knives, 2 small quivers with 100 small arrows, and six pots of alchemist fire).

Sounds like your DM is trying to run a 1e game using 3e rules. I've been there- the DM thinks that if he gives you a pile of money, you're going to retire in a castle and that will be that.

Show him the treasure rules. Figure them out yourself, then teach him. If he still refuses to use them, offer to DM, find another group, or continue to live in squalor until a monster with DR 15/magic eats you all.

Oh, one other option comes to mind. Lawful Good, you say? Go get the Book of Exalted Deeds and take a vow of poverty. Then any shred of cloth or broken down sword becomes a level-appropriate magic item. Huzzah!

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Oh, one other option comes to mind. Lawful Good, you say? Go get the Book of Exalted Deeds and take a vow of poverty. Then any shred of cloth or broken down sword becomes a level-appropriate magic item. Huzzah!

He restricted that book at the first opportunity...not that I wondered why...now...

While this is true, unless you make a habit of sleeping in the beds at one inn more often that you sleep outside in a cave or a dungeon or even anywhere else, the campaign would have to be several years long before the investment into an inn would be worthwhile just to get free room and board, unless you view an investment to be somewhere around 100 gp total...

Oh...well so much for that plan...

emblasochist
07-10-2009, 02:03 PM
If you are at/near a town, the people would have to appreciate you resolving their garbage situation, and that should award you some money. And if you did kill some otughs at a garbage dump, you have to be near some kind of humanoid settlement. And if they don't really care that much, extort them for money as either they can get beat up and give you their money, or you can offer "protection" from "brigands" like a threatening PC in the party. If that's not an option, I need to know where you are and giving names is next to worthless because I don't know the setting. In a forest? Start a logging company and sell the lumber at a town where they are in need. In a town/city? The extortion/protection thing can work wonders for the criminal elements in your party. Not an option? Tell your DM to stop being a stingy d-bag, or ask him/her how THEY think you're supposed to make money. That doesn't work, fire the DM and take over the job...

Also, alignment is of little value if the DM doesn't give you any incentive to stay in alignment... Or even then, have you heard of the concept of the GREATER GOOD? Some bad things have to be done for the overall best result to occur.

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 02:10 PM
If you are at/near a town, the people would have to appreciate you resolving their garbage situation, and that should award you some money. And if you did kill some otughs at a garbage dump, you have to be near some kind of humanoid settlement. And if they don't really care that much, extort them for money as either they can get beat up and give you their money, or you can offer "protection" from "brigands" like a threatening PC in the party. If that's not an option, I need to know where you are and giving names is next to worthless because I don't know the setting. In a forest? Start a logging company and sell the lumber at a town where they are in need. In a town/city? The extortion/protection thing can work wonders for the criminal elements in your party. Not an option? Tell your DM to stop being a stingy d-bag, or ask him/her how THEY think you're supposed to make money. That doesn't work, fire the DM and take over the job...

The towns-people were using the otughs to dispose of the garbage.
The Eldeen Reaches are patrolled by rangers and druids. A logging company might not be the best idea but it could be fun taking on the entire independant nation.
I had thought of DM'ing the game myself but my g/f brought a friend of hers in so that we could play as a couple instead of DM & player. Where I would not pull punches because she was my g/f (and she knows that).

emblasochist
07-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Ok. First off, while it may get you killed, taking out the nation WOULD get you money, and help you get a higher level quicker than intended... The other thing to do is ask her her intention for keeping the gold rewards low. It may be that she just isn't familiar with the necessity at your level?

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok. First off, while it may get you killed, taking out the nation WOULD get you money, and help you get a higher level quicker than intended... The other thing to do is ask her her intention for keeping the gold rewards low. It may be that she just isn't familiar with the necessity at your level?

Oh yes, we would be rich if we could pull it off...somehow I think we might be able to obtain aid from Breland but....
Also, my g/f's friend is a guy and he may have a purpose for keeping us broke...But he has yet to let us in on it. :(

emblasochist
07-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh yes, we would be rich if we could pull it off...somehow I think we might be able to obtain aid from Breland but....
Also, my g/f's friend is a guy and he may have a purpose for keeping us broke...But he has yet to let us in on it. :(

There's gotta be at least one option that someone here has suggested that has some appeal. But first, I'd ask the guy if he's intentionally being stingy, or if he just doesn't realize the need.

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
There's gotta be at least one option that someone here has suggested that has some appeal. But first, I'd ask the guy if he's intentionally being stingy, or if he just doesn't realize the need.
There is quite a few a think will work very well - or a varation there of.

Valdar
07-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Tell your DM to stop being a stingy d-bag, or ask him/her how THEY think you're supposed to make money.

This. Obviously, if there's no loot, and you can't take a vow of poverty, he wants you gimped, and nothing in this thread will work. Ask him why he's houseruled treasure out of D&D, even though he probably hasn't thought it through himself and will give you a totally specious answer, in which case you can find out exactly why he's not giving you money by rolling a D6 and consulting the following table that is guaranteed to be 100 percent accurate:

1: He is afraid that the game will be too easy if you have magic items.

2: He is jealous of the stuff that his players have out of game, and doesn't consider it fair that he has to give them even MORE stuff.

3: He wants his game to match fantasy literature, in which only one character in the party will have a magic item, tops.

4: He is lazy and coming up with loot (or anything else not already printed in the rulebook) feels like work.

5: He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and the rules for loot have confused him.

6: He hates you all.

7: All of the above. And shame on you for cheating on your roll.

emblasochist
07-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I've gotten a Natural 8 on a D4 before, so I don't think a 7 on a D6 is cheating... Another option is that the DM has never actually played and only been told what is involved and never actually read the core rulebooks and is playing from a written thing that doesn't actually discuss loot...

cigamnogard
07-10-2009, 05:01 PM
HA! LOL!
No, he has played before but the group he played with had some crazy players and DM. They also somehow always ended up with epic characters...wondering how at 2nd level but I think the game he played was rather "harsh" and he is used to that style.
A few of his house rules:

Partial cover is % dice not +2
When a PC is grappled another attacking player has a 25% chance of accidently hitting that charcter instead of the "bad guy" doing the grappling (15% for small characters).
Rulings:

Kobolds information is knowledge dungeoneering not knowledge arcana (Note: kobolds are a dragon subtype = dragon = knowledge arcana)
Some reach weapons have a blindspot with the squares (?)
In order to attack the rider you must kill the mount 1st - we fought this one and won.

emblasochist
07-11-2009, 07:24 PM
HA! LOL!
No, he has played before but the group he played with had some crazy players and DM. They also somehow always ended up with epic characters...wondering how at 2nd level but I think the game he played was rather "harsh" and he is used to that style.
A few of his house rules:

Partial cover is % dice not +2
When a PC is grappled another attacking player has a 25% chance of accidently hitting that charcter instead of the "bad guy" doing the grappling (15% for small characters).

Rulings:

Kobolds information is knowledge dungeoneering not knowledge arcana (Note: kobolds are a dragon subtype = dragon = knowledge arcana)
Some reach weapons have a blindspot with the squares (?)
In order to attack the rider you must kill the mount 1st - we fought this one and won.

This guy needs to get booted or something, IMO. He's trying to play a really gritty game and the players seem to not like it...

Valdar
07-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I've gotten a Natural 8 on a D4 before, so I don't think a 7 on a D6 is cheating... Another option is that the DM has never actually played and only been told what is involved and never actually read the core rulebooks and is playing from a written thing that doesn't actually discuss loot...

Rolling an 8 on a D4 just meant that you stuck the point into the table and are reading all three numbers. Not so much cheating as exploiting the way a D4 is made...

The only way I'd accept rolling a 7 on a d6 is how Cohen did it in the Discworld series- throw the die in the air, slice it in half with a sword, have the two halves of the die come up 1 and 6. If you can manage that, you can totally have your 7.

emblasochist
07-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Rolling an 8 on a D4 just meant that you stuck the point into the table and are reading all three numbers. Not so much cheating as exploiting the way a D4 is made...

The only way I'd accept rolling a 7 on a d6 is how Cohen did it in the Discworld series- throw the die in the air, slice it in half with a sword, have the two halves of the die come up 1 and 6. If you can manage that, you can totally have your 7.

Its nice to know that I'm not the only one that reads Discworld here. Which book is that from? Interesting Times, I believe, right? Or was it The Color of Magic?

Valdar
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Its nice to know that I'm not the only one that reads Discworld here. Which book is that from? Interesting Times, I believe, right? Or was it The Color of Magic?

Color of Magic I believe. I just picked up the graphic novel version of Color of Magic, and I believe that scene was in it.

Dark
07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I was wondering that myself I was going to head up and start rereading thanks for saving me the time. :)

emblasochist
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
The Discworld books are the first literature books I ever read multiple times. I just loved Prattchet's wit.

cigamnogard
07-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Well we played yesterday. To sum up:
1.We lost a party member = death of the rogue (house rule killed him)
2.We leveled to level 3
3.The warbalde/wizard scooped up 16 gp from the bottom of a pool of water.

Yes, that's it we - okay one party member - profited 16 gold. Of course he was out a broken glaive because after the 3rd fumble the DM ruled that it was broken.
16 gp!
As a 2nd level artificer I am able to make scrolls and potions. However, with our lack of funds I was not able to use all my craft pool. My third level was a ranger - why take an artificer level and waste more craft pool....

Grandore The Giant Killer
07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Honestly I think the best way to gain money is to just do quests for people. In fact I already done stupid things like going out into the wilderness, kill a bear, and bring the carcass back to the tavern for food and gain a bag of gold for profit from it. Now granted I think it depends on the DM and how willing he is to give out money for such deeds.

cigamnogard
07-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Not a bad plan. We may have to resort to that. We were trying to retrieve missing lockstock from poachers/rustlers. The paniced hippogriff got away so, so did our finders' fee.
If you are curious about the adventure story - please, check out my blogs.

emblasochist
07-13-2009, 04:46 PM
You guys killed off the rogue? What'd he do? Also, when are you going to fire the DM? He's not making the game enjoyable for your party from the sounds of it, and while it is something to do, if you walk away from every session thinking why did I bother, maybe there is something else you could do with your time...

cigamnogard
07-13-2009, 04:53 PM
The death was not done on purpose. The rogue had 5-6 hp left. A snake grappled him and began to constrict him. The warforged attempted to free him by using it's falchion on the snake. According to the house rules there is a 50% chance to get the snake and 50% chance to hit the rogue. The warforged proceeded to score a critical on the rogue :(
There was an opportunity to get a bunch of gold this mission. The gold was under the water where the snakes were living. We foolishly pressed on lost all the gold we could have "stolen" when we had to flee for our lives.

emblasochist
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Dude, I'm sure you already know this but your DM is a dick. Get rid of him if you keep being frustrated by his playstyle if he won't play a game the party enjoys...

cigamnogard
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
The scary thing is he's an improvement:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9832

Valdar
07-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I guess my advice would be the same as before: Learn to DM. Simple supply and demand. If DMs are this bad in your area, you should have players beating down your door.

kitsune1842
07-14-2009, 04:16 PM

The Last Hero. It is after he and his octigenarian hored (Hoard?) have scaled Cori Celest and confronted the Gods them selves in an atempt to return what the first hero stole and take revenge for letting them get old.

cigamnogard
07-14-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess my advice would be the same as before: Learn to DM. Simple supply and demand. If DMs are this bad in your area, you should have players beating down your door.

Yes, I have DM'd prior to all of the nonsense I have recently encountered. However, my g/f likes that I am not the DM and instead of trying to attack her I am aiding her. Personally, my aid as the DM to all players and her was a lot better served than as a player frowning at the poor DM "choices".

WhiteTiger
07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
If you were playing in the Pathfinder realm of golarion and you were in either the Qadira or Katapesh areas.. I would suggest the Slave trade.
Since it's legal and you can't get in trouble using the rules as written.. but you'll still have to have a GM that will go along with it.

cigamnogard
07-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Now, that sounds interesting :( but we are playing in Eberron :(

WhiskeyFur
07-21-2009, 10:29 AM
If you were playing in the Pathfinder realm of golarion and you were in either the Qadira or Katapesh areas.. I would suggest the Slave trade.
Since it's legal and you can't get in trouble using the rules as written.. but you'll still have to have a GM that will go along with it.

I sense a potential alignment conflict there.... I've actually seen slavery, and some other touchy topics, break up RP groups before so I would say, that no matter what game setting, tread around this topic with care.

As far as eberron? Well, could offer out your services to repair warforged, or use your craft skills to fix things for other people. Even carpentry has a place, being able to build homes, go out and fix wagons for farmers, that kind of stuff.

Or open up your own store.

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks - good ideas, most appreciated. Especially, the warning on alignment.

tesral
07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Alignment bad....

cigamnogard
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
:)
No, alignment lawful good.

CEBedford
07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Hope I didn't miss this suggestion but:

Play a wizard, move to Sharn, and create featherfall tokens and scrolls. Cha-ching!

tesral
07-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Get a different DM.

Valdar
07-22-2009, 11:52 AM
If your DM thinks 10 GP is a decent haul from a fight, he's going to think it's a decent haul from a drug deal, slave sale, magic item construction profit, etc. Your problem is not figuring out how to make money- it's that your DM doesn't want you to have any.

Also, in reference to cooperating/trying to kill your GF, the DM isn't the adversary in a tabletop game- he's the lead author. Thinking of an RPG as adversarial is what led to your current situation with not getting any cash for your efforts, and the game sucking. If the DM thinks of the party as the lead characters in a story, rather than the opposing team to defeat, then the game is a hell of a lot more interesting and fun.

Try DMing. You won't even have to leave your current game- just assemble a group and give it a shot. The reason that the bar for DMs is so low in your area is because so few people are willing to give it a try. If you put the same effort into running a game as you've put into finding reasons for not doing so, your game won't be half bad.

cigamnogard
07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
If your DM thinks 10 GP is a decent haul from a fight, he's going to think it's a decent haul from a drug deal, slave sale, magic item construction profit, etc. Your problem is not figuring out how to make money- it's that your DM doesn't want you to have any.

I agree but let me point out:

1.I have DM'd for years. My g/f prefers me as a player as opposed to the DM.
2.My city has a population of 195,000

tesral
07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Some times you have to suck it up.

The DM is a dick. You are not enjoying the game.

Why are you playing again?

cigamnogard
07-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Some times you have to suck it up.

The DM is a dick. You are not enjoying the game.

Why are you playing again?

Spending time with my friends

tesral
07-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Spending time with my friends

In a nice round of let's have a sucky time. Might I suggest you ditch D&D and go for Munchkin Quest? Great sit around and bullshit game that one person cannot readily screw up.

emblasochist
07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
In a nice round of let's have a sucky time. Might I suggest you ditch D&D and go for Munchkin Quest? Great sit around and bullshit game that one person cannot readily screw up.

Unless everyone likes playing D&D, in which you have to decide to do something about the state of your D&D fun. Sure, the girlfriend might like it when you aren't DM, but if your party is getting screwed with no money, more than just you have to realize it. Eventually everyone has to be upset with the DM, which means that either he isn't doing a good job, the other possibility is that he is doing fine and you are seeing it disproportionately worse than everyone else. So, ask the other players if they see it as a problem and then act accordingly. If there really is 195,000 people in the city where you live, I find it hard to believe that there are no good DMs available, which means that maybe you have to be looking a little harder and screening potential DMs more. Or finally, quit playing D&D if its bugging you; you seem to have terrble luck with your DMs, and at some point you just gotta say enough is enough and walk the hell away from the dice. If it's really as bad as you say, the girlfriend should understand.

cigamnogard
07-23-2009, 08:07 PM
I am currently co-DM'ing with my g/f online. Check it out:

http://groups.google.ca/group/empires-of-earth-and-stone-for-dungeons-and-dragons-3035e?hl=en

By the way I have not handed out any gp since the campaigns started.

Ishcumbeebeeda
07-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I almost always play an arcane caster, and I always make sure that my arcane casters have access to Prestidigitation if at all possible. Whenever I find I'm pinched for cash, I grab a copper and presto chango it's a platinum. I hit the local equivalent of a bank and then get the hell out of there before the hour is up. I usually play... less than honest characters :biggrin:

emblasochist
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
I almost always play an arcane caster, and I always make sure that my arcane casters have access to Prestidigitation if at all possible. Whenever I find I'm pinched for cash, I grab a copper and presto chango it's a platinum. I hit the local equivalent of a bank and then get the hell out of there before the hour is up. I usually play... less than honest characters :biggrin:

He's LG, so that ain't gonna work, even if the spell is available for the artificer class...

Arkhemedes
07-27-2009, 09:01 PM
The two best ways I've seen for characters to make money:

1) If the party has the means to take out monsters without really fighting them (color spray spells, hold monster spells, rope of entanglement, etc.) then they can take out manticores for a living. According to the 2e MM the intact hides of these guys go for a whopping 10,000 gps each!

2) Back in the old days, when you had to train for every level before moving up, DMs would have the trainers charge outrageous sums of money to the trainees (in order to relieve them of all that gold they just handed out). The solution for these adventurers? Retire. Then start training other adventurers. The pay is great and there is no risk involved!

cigamnogard
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
WEll, you will all be impressed - the DM could not make it :) So, I "guest" DM'd the party is $ back where we should be plus the adventure is back on a decent track on my mind - stay tuned for my blog for the update!

gajenx
08-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Well according to the extended food item lists. You can always take a season or two to grow pineapples. I found in one of the books, I think FR, that a fresh pineapple sales for 150 gp. so you just have to grow 2 - 3 trees and tend them. Then you will forever be rolling in the moneys.

kirksmithicus
08-06-2009, 12:48 AM
First, I thought the game was about adventure, not pulling down phat loot? Is the game interesting? Maybe the DM isn't a tool, maybe it's just part of the overall story. Struggling adventurers and all,maybe I dunno. I used to do a little Monty-not-at-all DM'ing at low levels just to make the rewards that much sweeter later on.

cigamnogard
08-06-2009, 02:44 AM
First, I thought the game was about adventure, not pulling down phat loot? Is the game interesting? Maybe the DM isn't a tool, maybe it's just part of the overall story. Struggling adventurers and all,maybe I dunno. I used to do a little Monty-not-at-all DM'ing at low levels just to make the rewards that much sweeter later on.

The DM style is all right but not having any $ pretty much nailed the coffin on my artificer being able to do anything. I had been debating taking another class because my stats were really good but in the end it came down to the fact I was not able to even use all of my second level XP pool.

BladeMaster0182
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Haven't you heard? Money, its a drag.

cigamnogard
08-07-2009, 10:38 PM
It sure is but I would rather play by the "rules" than deal with "real life"!

DMMike
08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Lessee...you have an artificer who needs money to make goods, which are probably worth more once you've created them. Get a small business loan.

cigamnogard
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Sure...not a bad idea but most Dwarf Holds will expect some sort of colateral...which becomes a circular arguement.

cplmac
08-11-2009, 08:48 PM

I agree with kirksmithicus on the idea of not giving to much at low levels. Basically if the characters have everything possible by the time they reach 5th or 6th level, what use is there to have all those higher levels for. I just don't see low level characters running around with +4 weapons and all kinds of other magical items that realistic. Besides, I usually try to make the reward match the creature/encounter. Just can't see the need to lavish a party with tons of gold and magical items for fighting say a group of goblins.

cigamnogard
08-12-2009, 01:40 PM
There is a large difference between 0.00 and lavish.

cplmac
08-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Question cigamnogard. Has there been any encounters where the party had defeated say humans, elves, or some other humanoid race? If so, does the party take the weapons and other equipment and sell them to aquire some money? Or is the DM throwing stuff at the party that has nothing that can be collected and sold?

cigamnogard
08-13-2009, 03:16 AM
So far, only one encounter was with humanoids. We were attacked by two halflings and their dinosaur mounts. We managed to sell a bow, a sword, and the saddles but kept the armour and a bow and sword. Gold found:
= below 10gp. Yes, we did sell and make a little $ but those funds went into scrolls (see my blogs). That was the most we made until the DM bailed twice and I took over as a "guest" DM.

cplmac
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Ouch, that is a little harsh. At least a lower levels, I try to make encounters that will at least allow the characters to survive. Hey, they at least need to be able to buy food.

cigamnogard
08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Ouch, that is a little harsh. At least a lower levels, I try to make encounters that will at least allow the characters to survive. Hey, they at least need to be able to buy food.

It really was. If we fired arrows and used healing potions or scrolls we were actually losing $ per encounter! Yes, on more than most occasions we were at a loss per encounter...

WhiskeyFur
08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I was just thinking about it and remembered a nasty move the DM pulled on us, and our retaliation.

We had a line of places we were planning to check out, all pretty far away from town. Thinking we were going to get good on it, we bought a bag of holding just for the occasion.

BUT... we hit the first one? already looted. FRESHLY looted. And I mean down to the kitchen sinks kind of looted. The next three we had in mind were like that too. Yea, we got some salvage here and there but instead of cleaning them out we were instead picking through the remains. That got a bit ugly, real fast...

We got back into town after we hit them all, pissed off, poor, and rather irate... and found that someone else was enjoying all the glory at the bar. An another band of adventurers, with a diviner who had one of our wands that we sold off way early in our career. We recognized it because of.. stuff.

While they were drinking and enjoying OUR loot, we hatched a plan that went something like this...

That night, when we knew they were in their room, we started talking about this one horde we found where the dragon had passed away, probably no more then an adult at the time of it's passing so it's not large, but it'll let us stay on the trails and keep adventuring. It was our 'last chance' otherwise we would have to quit. A few more details... it was pretty convincing.

The next morning we found the other party was long gone out the door, so we followed them at our pace.

When we GOT to said horde, a big, ancient red dragoness there greeted us, picking the bones of someone out of her teeth.

Lie: She was an adult.
Truth: She was an ancient wyrm

Lie: She was dead
Truth: Hardly... her and her mate were home.

Lie: She was just a blue dragon or something
Truth: Partially. Her mate was the blue.

Lie: She was evil.
Truth: Partially, Lawful Evil(Neutral tendencies).

There's a long story behind that one but basically we mutually respected each other, and well.. the way it was pitched the other adventuring party was their wedding gift, sorry for being late by a couple of years.

She was quite fine with it.

cigamnogard
08-13-2009, 01:12 PM
I was just thinking about it and remembered a nasty move the DM pulled on us, and our retaliation.

We had a line of places we were planning to check out, all pretty far away from town. Thinking we were going to get good on it, we bought a bag of holding just for the occasion.

BUT... we hit the first one? already looted. FRESHLY looted. And I mean down to the kitchen sinks kind of looted. The next three we had in mind were like that too. Yea, we got some salvage here and there but instead of cleaning them out we were instead picking through the remains. That got a bit ugly, real fast...

We got back into town after we hit them all, pissed off, poor, and rather irate... and found that someone else was enjoying all the glory at the bar. An another band of adventurers, with a diviner who had one of our wands that we sold off way early in our career. We recognized it because of.. stuff.

While they were drinking and enjoying OUR loot, we hatched a plan that went something like this...

That night, when we knew they were in their room, we started talking about this one horde we found where the dragon had passed away, probably no more then an adult at the time of it's passing so it's not large, but it'll let us stay on the trails and keep adventuring. It was our 'last chance' otherwise we would have to quit. A few more details... it was pretty convincing.

The next morning we found the other party was long gone out the door, so we followed them at our pace.

When we GOT to said horde, a big, ancient red dragoness there greeted us, picking the bones of someone out of her teeth.

Lie: She was an adult.
Truth: She was an ancient wyrm

Lie: She was dead
Truth: Hardly... her and her mate were home.

Lie: She was just a blue dragon or something
Truth: Partially. Her mate was the blue.

Lie: She was evil.
Truth: Partially, Lawful Evil(Neutral tendencies).

There's a long story behind that one but basically we mutually respected each other, and well.. the way it was pitched the other adventuring party was their wedding gift, sorry for being late by a couple of years.

She was quite fine with it.

Nice move!

CEBedford
08-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I had a DM one time try to stiff my character on selling a business he owned. Six buyers arrived with bids on my necromancer's old funeral home. The DM purposefully low balled me trying to power trip my potential success and/or force me to keep the shop for some railroady plot nonsense.

Anyway, never the one to abide DM shenanigans I used my forgery skill to create four fake deeds. Then I sold the business to all but one of the potential buyers. The sixth interested party was legally savvy and I figured he'd probably catch my crime before money changed hands.

cigamnogard
08-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I had a DM one time try to stiff my character on selling a business he owned. Six buyers arrived with bids on my necromancer's old funeral home. The DM purposefully low balled me trying to power trip my potential success and/or force me to keep the shop for some railroady plot nonsense.

Anyway, never the one to abide DM shenanigans I used my forgery skill to create four fake deeds. Then I sold the business to all but one of the potential buyers. The sixth interested party was legally savvy and I figured he'd probably catch my crime before money changed hands.

Now, that's making $ !

nijineko
08-22-2009, 10:56 PM
having read the entire thread... and unless i've forgotten something along the way... what about simply using some craft (or profession) skills? i haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

if you have enough ranks in any craft skill or skills, just pull out the phb or d20srd.org, point to the using craft skill (or profession skill) to make money rules, and if you have to, ignore the plot for a few days, weeks, or months, until the dm gets a clue.

i almost always have some ranks in a craft or profession skill, partly as part of the backstory, partly for making money in the down time, and partly for a disguise / cover when needed.
an archer of mine is not only a master bowyer/fletcher, but has many ranks in the calligraphy skill, as his master taught him the proper way to hold a bow by making his students use specially designed calligraphy pens and would not let them touch (or damage) a real bow until they could write with a perfectly steady hand. his services as a scribe are usually in demand, when he cares to offer it. the fact that he is mute, makes him ideal for scribing for certain types of legal proceedings, which makes him more money.
a mage character had quite a few ranks in profession barkeep due to his humble upbringings. and was quite the connoisseur of ale and beer and taverns, to boot. guess what he used prestidigitation for....
a monk character of mine with ranks in iajutsu focus would go into taverns and win bets involving breaking boards or blocks of ice. (this was in a northern clime.) obviously, he was not of a monkish order who valued poverty or lack of material possessions. but he never suffered a lack of petty cash, or lack of room and board.

have craft ranks? make and sell some stuff that has value. it may only be a few silver or gold a day or week, but it will add up.
ranks in perform? hit the streets and theaters.
ranks in intimidate? become a bouncer.
ranks in profession? do part-time or fill-in work. some professions are more valuable than others, like scribe and calligraphy, to name just two.
ranks in survival? teach classes to wanna-be adventurers. or give wilderness tours. or hunt for a grocery store or farmer's market.
ranks in bluff? great for winning bar bets or games of chance.
ranks in sleight of hand? become a stage magician under a null magic field. or games of chance....
ranks in disguise? become a stage-hand.
...many more skills have profitable application...
and if all else fails, offer to become a garbage collector in a rich neighborhood. not only do you get decent stuff dumpster diving, but you can sell some of it to the under-classes, and get paid on top of it all.

as an added bonus, all of these ventures are legal and ethical... with the exception of using sleight of hand in games of chance. and maybe the dumpster diving, depending on your local laws.

and should the dm venture to complain or claim you can't make any money, then claim that you have no interest in whatever the plot / problem is, cause you can't take care of other people unless you can take care of yourself first. and providing a service is taking care of people too. so you are still acting "lawful good". if necessary, have a talk about "scope of influence". besides, nobody goes on a cross country trek without supplies and resources and emergency cash. especially not in the wilds. and most especially not in eberron. that's just dangerous and a good way to commit suicide. which isn't a good action, alignment wise. ^^

gajenx
08-23-2009, 11:01 AM
though I also noticed no one ever mentioned you using spells to make money like Charm person to get people to want to give you money and things. Or you using unseen servant to walk into homes at night and take items to you so you can sell them on the black market. Or you can spells like prestidigitation and light to scare dumb nonmagical people into giving you things so as not to curse them or bring misfortune to them. All those can work to make money.

cigamnogard
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
if you have enough ranks in any craft skill or skills, just pull out the phb or d20srd.org, point to the using craft skill (or profession skill) to make money rules, and if you have to, ignore the plot for a few days, weeks, or months, until the dm gets a clue.

Very good idea. I like it.

MarshamSane
08-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I lurrrrve to craft for cash. favorites include: poisonmaking, and engineering. combined with Know:archetecture, Know: nature, and profession: engineer, makes me invent the flush toilet at about 4th level.

cigamnogard
08-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Hmmm...flush toilette eh?
Hmmmm...I should let you all know where this campaign currently has had a bunch of developments:
1. I have "guest DM'd" a few games
2. Gold is not an issue when I DM ;)
3. The campaign has jumped from 3rd level to 8th!

nijineko
08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
sweet! just hope it stays that way once you find a replacemen... ah, your old dm again. or maybe just get a new one other than you. =D

cigamnogard
08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Not sure what is going to happen there. I think everyone I content to let me DM. Even my g/f thinks it is okay. Not sure what the old-DM thinks but we shall see when/if he returns.
Except that now the party is ill equipt for being those levels as they are short on gold for being 8th+...
...my bad...

MarshamSane
08-25-2009, 11:11 AM
is this IRL or a pbp/chatter game?

cigamnogard
08-25-2009, 03:30 PM
is this IRL or a pbp/chatter game?
Table top - why?

cplmac
08-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Since you are now the DM, you could always make it clear that to make up for the shortfall, the next couple of rewards will be larger than they should in order to bring the game back to par. Just a thought.

cigamnogard
08-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Since you are now the DM, you could always make it clear that to make up for the shortfall, the next couple of rewards will be larger than they should in order to bring the game back to par. Just a thought.
Oh I did - I did! :)

nijineko
08-26-2009, 06:30 PM
i've had the experience with one dm where not only is the loot very lean, but once we hit 4th level or so, we seldom level up... maybe 100-300xp per encounter per character, no matter the encounter and as we close on 5th, the amount drops... ^^ my third level character has maybe 600gp. and that's only because he hasn't spent a single gp since first level. being a monk, i can get away with that for a while... he lives off money he wins in bets in taverns. (i bet you can't break this board... i'll take that bet.)

cigamnogard
08-28-2009, 02:33 PM
i've had the experience with one dm where not only is the loot very lean, but once we hit 4th level or so, we seldom level up... maybe 100-300xp per encounter per character, no matter the encounter and as we close on 5th, the amount drops... ^^ my third level character has maybe 600gp. and that's only because he hasn't spent a single gp since first level. being a monk, i can get away with that for a while... he lives off money he wins in bets in taverns. (i bet you can't break this board... i'll take that bet.)
It was really annoying - especially since I was playing an Artificer with hardly any gold.

nijineko
08-31-2009, 01:27 AM
i imagine. i've yet to see how this will turn out.

WhiskeyFur
08-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Fat dumb and happy nobles are always a great source of loot, as rewards for even the most minor of things to go along with their (over inflated) sense of ego.

Ah, thank you for helping me across the street, here's 10 gold... nevermind that in most games 10 gold is alot of peasants' life earnings.

Find one as a patron and make him happy, there ya go.

tesral
08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Impossible if the DM has determined to keep you poor. The problem with any of these plans it is they depend on the DM being a Yes DM and not a No DM.

The No DM will keep you from every seeing any gold or any oppertunity to make gold. And unlike real life where you can apply yourself and get around disadvantages that is not the case in a RPG. If your disadvantage is the DM, you are simply screwed.

cigamnogard
08-31-2009, 01:52 PM
You are so correct!
Glad I am now DM'ing

Mars
09-19-2009, 07:19 PM
The DMG states that no character should have an item worth 50% of their total wealth/level. This being said: no low level characters should be walking around with TONS of magic items. Upon achieving 2nd lvl, you should have somewhere in the margin of 1,000 gp. Being that you shouldn't possess an item worth 50% of your total, you should be getting items below the 500 gp mark. We're talking masterwork weapons and armor , not +1s.

cigamnogard
09-21-2009, 05:54 PM
The DMG states that no character should have an item worth 50% of their total wealth/level. This being said: no low level characters should be walking around with TONS of magic items. Upon achieving 2nd lvl, you should have somewhere in the margin of 1,000 gp. Being that you shouldn't possess an item worth 50% of your total, you should be getting items below the 500 gp mark. We're talking masterwork weapons and armor , not +1s.
Okay...

nijineko
09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
i believe that they left 1st level quite a while ago. ^^ besides, i refer you to rule 0: "it's a game, the rules are guidance, the dm makes the rules."

Hoitash
09-22-2009, 12:08 PM
It is called a Guide, not Work of Stone.

cigamnogard
09-24-2009, 04:38 PM
i believe that they left 1st level quite a while ago. ^^ besides, i refer you to rule 0: "it's a game, the rules are guidance, the dm makes the rules."

Yes, but that was the problem...

nijineko
09-24-2009, 06:17 PM
then i refer you, good sir, to rule -1: if the dm don't make the right rules... get, find, or go to, a dm who does. ^^

which if i recall, was the solution....

cigamnogard
09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Did - done!
The DM is now a player in MY campaign.

Hoitash
09-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Two words: rocks fall.

WhiskeyFur
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Did - done!
The DM is now a player in MY campaign.

Hehe... now that's a successful usurping of someone else's game. Is the DM happier with you in the hot seat now instead of his own tail?

cigamnogard
09-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, I think so - and as far as I know - so is everyone else.

cplmac
09-29-2009, 06:49 PM
And everyone being happy while gaming means a win for the group!

cigamnogard
09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Big time!

d-_-b
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I have had the problem in my campaign that a player wanted to set up what was basically a jewelry production facility as a "get rich fast by doing nothing even remotely related to what the game is about" way of making tons of money.

Some players tend to forget that their economies function on a whole other level than that of the average inhabitants of the game world. In a world where the average income is 2-5 gp a month where do you expect the money to buy your freshly made long sword +2 or ring of endure elements is going to come from? Medieval economies were trade economies where wealth was tied up in goods and profits were marginal. In game terms this is means that the monetary product/write up of industry is negligible -not something worth factoring into an adventurer economy, exactly as the rules describe trading in gems.

The fact of the matter is that D&D is a game of adventure and not a game of industry. In D&D it's "get rich fast or die trying" for real! You make money doing quests and defeating monsters. Trying to exploit loopholes in the rules etc. will just get you a soar DM who don't really want to contend with a crafty players industrial fantasies.

cigamnogard
10-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Trying to exploit loopholes in the rules etc. will just get you a soar DM who don't really want to contend with a crafty players industrial fantasies.

But, what if the players are "flying" high on their dreams? Or, what happens when they meet a CR creature of X level but do not have the items they need because they have to "circle" around the DM's low gift rate of monies. However, they could "ascend" by following one of the industrial ideas or schemes the other players have already pointed out. They could "rise" above the pettyness but I think that a new DM might be able to assist them before they "plummet" to another game.
Another idea might be that you meant to spell "sour"...:lol:

I have had the problem in my campaign that a player wanted to set up what was basically a jewelry production facility as a "get rich fast by doing nothing even remotely related to what the game is about" way of making tons of money.

Why not allow that to happen? It would have been wonderful for the player(s) to deal with all the thieves and highway-men trying to rob the player. Seems like a lost opportunity to me.

Hoitash
10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Would make random encounters a bit more varied. I hate having to think them up, because there random it's hard to prepare sometimes.

d-_-b
10-15-2009, 03:11 AM
In my game I allot treasure and wealth as per the tables in DMG + which ever rewards I offer them to complete various quests, and my previous post suppose that this is the case. If a DM won't allow his players to get rich through adventuring he is certainly not going to let them be barons of industry.

I do indeed allow my player to establish inns and invest but this is more as a convenience when they need room and for general roleplaying. No inn is going to generate 1000gp+ in revenue a month and jewel factories do not buy rubies at 250gp and resell them at 500gp.

I meant soar:)

cigamnogard
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
You should read The Empire Stone by Chris Bunch:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=uHeRjARMiq8C&dq=the+empire+stone&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=7eZbV4m8XJ&sig=pgx23uVX2Ak8Pdmb36pcJNhf63Y&hl=en&ei=_sbXSq7qF8-TlAf8-JmhAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ6AEwAA#

templeorder
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
If a DM won't allow his players to get rich through adventuring he is certainly not going to let them be barons of industry.

It all depends on the campaign. I often used titles (with corresponding taxes and expected lifestyles to offset) and assets as a means of substituting for coinage type wealth. Liquidity is not usually high in my campaigns, but as the PC's grow in power, they get many things provided for them, without having to pay. Its just a different kind of approach - gifts from sponsors, local lords happy to be rid of some evil, churches and orders rewarding loyal servants - it can all be used to funnel in needed items instead of wealth and letting the PC's have to 'buy' their way up in rank. The kind of finds detailed in many supplements that would be brought in by a party on a regular basis would unbalance local economies - most of the time i keep the group "asset rich, but cash poor"

cigamnogard
10-16-2009, 05:02 PM
It all depends on the campaign. I often used titles (with corresponding taxes and expected lifestyles to offset) and assets as a means of substituting for coinage type wealth. Liquidity is not usually high in my campaigns, but as the PC's grow in power, they get many things provided for them, without having to pay. Its just a different kind of approach - gifts from sponsors, local lords happy to be rid of some evil, churches and orders rewarding loyal servants - it can all be used to funnel in needed items instead of wealth and letting the PC's have to 'buy' their way up in rank. The kind of finds detailed in many supplements that would be brought in by a party on a regular basis would unbalance local economies - most of the time i keep the group "asset rich, but cash poor"
Hmmm...I like this - will try this out with Sunday night's game!