PDA

View Full Version : Return of Hackmaster

Stormhound
06-30-2009, 01:31 PM
The new edition...or at least, the basic version of same...is now out.

Gone is the over-the-top parody that was required by the license agreement with WOTC; in its place sits a decent system that shows only a few of the underpinnings of its forebear, AD&D, and retains an edge of attitude and humor.

I've seen to many systems now to call any one the Next Great Game, but this one's worth at least a look at the sneak preview material, which can be found here (http://www.kenzerco.com/product_info.php?products_id=670).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Being Old School, i love Hackmaster. Cool of you to start this thread, Stormhound.

Out of my numerous collections, this is the next on my list. In fact, i almost purchased a whole set a few months back on Ebay, but couldn't get to the house in time to make my bid, but i sadly digress.

korhal23
06-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Kenzer & Co! They're the ones who make Aces and Eights! I love those guys, they do good work. Hackmaster was in turns a brilliant parody and a good game, but rarely did the two intersect. It had all the things that made AD&D awesome (so, a good game), and the parody stuff was hilarious, if stupid (The "Dibs!" spell springs to mind... and for the uninitiated, it did exactly what you are thinking a spell called "Dibs!" would do.... magically sealed loot for your use, without anyone else's permission). I'll have to get this. I love Aces and Eights so much.

tesral
07-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Pretty stirring forward they have there, even if a cartoon did write it.

Mead
07-01-2009, 04:00 PM
The combat example is great, now I just gotta figure out how to afford it, heh

rmckee78
07-03-2009, 01:33 AM
That combat example both excites and horrifies me. With the right group that would be awesome, Battletech level awesome. With an even slighty not the right group... disaster.

Stormhound
07-03-2009, 06:27 AM
That combat example both excites and horrifies me. With the right group that would be awesome, Battletech level awesome. With an even slighty not the right group... disaster.

Sounds about right...not all gamers and games are meant for one another. But then, I've seen plenty of combat disasters in my time...Pyrrhus would've been proud.

korhal23
07-03-2009, 09:31 AM
God this game is gonna be sweet. I just got around to reading the preview stuff. Very similar feel to Aces and Eights for some of it.

Stormhound
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I bet it does. No location wheel on missile weapons, though.