PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Cursed Items

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I did a quick search, of the first three board pages, to see if this discussion has occurred recently but I did not see anything, so here it goes:

What is everyone's favorite cursed items they have either had as a GM or as a player?

My favorite as player was an emerald stone in low magic campaign that actually attracted undead. Of course, my rogue had a different POV, he thought it was an early warning device that glowed green when ever undead were within 100ft. I carried that item for two years of gaming.

Speech
06-30-2009, 09:06 AM
I have never had a cursed item in game (lucky I suppose) but the ones that I did like were the insidious weapons that had just enough power for players to overlook the drawbacks. I found it fascinating to watch players rationalize their power lust and see how their characters would actually take on these evil traits. Ahh..how I miss the role play of the old days.

One guy I played with had a ring that wiped out his alignment and allowed him to act as he wanted without any restrictions. This came out as completely chaotic and was surreal to watch the character develop. One day he would cast a spell and help villagers grow their crops ..the next he would attack guards without provocation. Very fun game to be in.

I miss that game...:)

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Here is a fun little duel cursed item I placed in my last campaign. The PCs were high roughly 12-14 level at this time. They were confronting various devils (LE) in search of weapons of legacy that could assist in defeating the demonic forces (CE).

These were the false weapons for two players.

The crossed swords from the masters Quarters in the Wizard’s Peak Tower. There is a long sword and great sword crossed on the wall. The PCs believed these to be powerful +4/5 demonbane weapons.

A detect magic will reveal strong aura (phb 219){these are false magic weapons, they are actually just MW quality but they send out a false aura until used in battle. If swung and used for practice the weapons will feel like finely tuned blades that are apart of your hand. Once in battle the wielder must make a DC 15 Will save, failure means they will use the weapon without hesitation, weapons will be used easily for the first round of combat, then they become heavy in nature requiring a second hand on the weapon DC 20 Will save, instinct to grab the weapon with the second hand and drop anything else in that hand, the third round the weapon falls to the floor leaving the pc kneeling with the weapon, the fourth round the weapon disappears and returns to the wall.}

Nothing like seeing the barbarian in the midst of battle begging and pleading with his weapon.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I did a quick search, of the first three board pages, to see if this discussion has occurred recently but I did not see anything, so here it goes:

What is everyone's favorite cursed items they have either had as a GM or as a player?

My favorite as player was an emerald stone in low magic campaign that actually attracted undead. Of course, my rogue had a different POV, he thought it was an early warning device that glowed green when ever undead were within 100ft. I carried that item for two years of gaming.
The emerald stone is pretty clever. Here's one that can go either way depending on one's perspective. It was a simple, plain necromancers ring. It would enhance the power of the necromancer when controlling numbers of undead. It wouldn't let you control undead more powerful than you could normally control, but it would definitely let you control larger numbers and for far longer periods of time. Pretty cool, actually.

Problem with it was, if you died "while" controlling undead, you would create a feedback loop and control yourself. Cool way to become an undead spellcaster. You'd get all the undead characteristics (basic undead template), not the more powerful lich stuff, mind you, but just the undead stuff. Over time your body would decay, but hey, you could continue leveling and would be "immortal." Immortal being used loosily, here.

Now if you werent using the magical rings properties during your death, then you would just die. But if you were using the ring, then you had to always keep the ring on you, for if it was ever removed from your finger, then you would die on the spot, no resurrection. Not even if someone immediately put the ring back on.

deathboy
06-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I had a beserking longsword drop in my 2nd Ed FR game once it was pretty nasty. As it killed a creature it gained a point of ego, this ego would stack for each kill thus after killing 18 orcs it would get an ego of 18. This ego would try to dominate the wielder if it was strong enough, and if it succeeded it would force the wielder to go beserk and attack everything.

The Ego would leech away slowly, I think it was a point per week. If a new owner picked it up after vanquishing the last wielder the ego would drop to half the current score, rounded down. The name of the sword was Red Harvest, and it wrecked havoc in the game when the ranger owning it went on a rampage against an orc horde. :laugh:

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 11:03 AM
I had a beserking longsword drop in my 2nd Ed FR game once it was pretty nasty. As it killed a creature it gained a point of ego, this ego would stack for each kill thus after killing 18 orcs it would get an ego of 18. This ego would try to dominate the wielder if it was strong enough, and if it succeeded it would force the wielder to go beserk and attack everything.

The Ego would leech away slowly, I think it was a point per week. If a new owner picked it up after vanquishing the last wielder the ego would drop to half the current score, rounded down. The name of the sword was Red Harvest, and it wrecked havoc in the game when the ranger owning it went on a rampage against an orc horde. :laugh:

Sounds cool. Although, I suspect, the other party members did not enjoy the berserker within the party.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
My fighter, years ago, had obtained a +3 cursed sword. It worked great till the baddies were all dead, then he attacked the party. So i can say, party's frown on this type of cursed weapon.

deathboy
06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Sounds cool. Although, I suspect, the other party members did not enjoy the berserker within the party.

they didn't realize how bad it was until after the Horde. An Ego score of 88 was hard to deal with, even though the ranger did a lot of damage to the Horde. After the fight the rest of the party had to take him out and throw the sword in a bag of holding and then drop it into an active volcano.

It actually side tracked the party but good for 5 game sessions, right into a dragon fight. :evil:

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Problem with it was, if you died "while" controlling undead, you would create a feedback loop and control yourself. Cool way to become an undead spellcaster. You'd get all the undead characteristics (basic undead template), not the more powerful lich stuff, mind you, but just the undead stuff. Over time your body would decay, but hey, you could continue leveling and would be "immortal." Immortal being used loosily, here.

Now if you werent using the magical rings properties during your death, then you would just die. But if you were using the ring, then you had to always keep the ring on you, for if it was ever removed from your finger, then you would die on the spot, no resurrection. Not even if someone immediately put the ring back on.

That is unique way to become immortal.

Stabbity
06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
well since I only have gotten one cursed item I guess thats my favorite. Though Ide much prefered the undead early warning, I got a returning rock of half speed (load stone) on my halfling thieif who already had encombrence issues. My dm's way of encourging me not to play my character as a thief I think:laugh:

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 02:38 PM
well since I only have gotten one cursed item I guess thats my favorite. Though Ide much prefered the undead early warning, I got a returning rock of half speed (load stone) on my halfling thieif who already had encombrence issues. My dm's way of encourging me not to play my character as a thief I think:laugh:

You got off easy. No problem with your character being a thief but quick fingers can get you in trouble. Especially since he does not have a way to identity items. This can make it fun for the DM. :laugh:

Stabbity
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
You got off easy. No problem with your character being a thief but quick fingers can get you in trouble. Especially since he does not have a way to identity items. This can make it fun for the DM. :laugh:
I wasn't complaining. It was fun rp via paper with skunk

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I wasn't complaining. It was fun rp via paper with skunk

You convinced another PC to carry your gear. I'm sure you will try to clip his coin purse to pay his porter fee.:laugh:

kitsune1842
06-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Darwin's Sword. +3 Vorpal Broadsword. Any character weilding it with an Inteligence score of 19 or lower if they managed to hit an enemy, and rolled a hit that beat thier own AC, they would do damge to the enemy and themselves, and a critical fumble counted as a critical hit against the person using the sword.

The game that dropped in, once we figured out what was going on, my 21 Int Warmage theorized it was made by some poor mage that got tired of seeing barbarians get all the girls.

RoryN
06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
One of my rangers picked up some backbiter arrows at one point...always missed the target and then came back to nail the ranger. I used them ONCE and then traded them to some orcs for free passage through a cavern. :lol:

My favorite as a DM was I created a couple of daggers and placed them in seperate dungeons. On their own, they were nothing major, although they were inlaid with silver and had rubies embedded in the hilts as well. Whenever they were brought together (within 100' of one another), anyone holding them would instantly be drawn into battle against each other. The unknown drawback was that if one character held both of them, he would slowly be driven insane. The only way to get rid of them was to have a remove curse cast upon them both simultaniously. One of my better creations, if I do say so myself.

I really like the emerald stone, especially the way the thief played it. Very cool item.

RealmsDM
07-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Stormbringer from the Elric novels... my brother stated it out into a 1e storyline years ago & it was fun as hell

tesral
07-01-2009, 09:05 AM
The Sword of Empathy. Feel your foe's pain. Wonderful sword +4 and all. Once you started fighting with it you could not stop and it dealt as much damage to you as it did to the foe. Anyone that survived it would be looking for a remove curse of course.

The Crystal Ball of the Goblin King: For those that remember the film Labyrinth and the fancy crystal ball handling therein. I had one character wish for the crystal ball. Of course the Goblin King was not a nice guy and his crystal ball, while of benefit to the PC it had a price attached; your soul. The party had to go to Hell to rescue him from his own folly. I tossed in all kinds of foreshadowing too. He never bought the clue. The best part was the player's reaction when the thing bit him in the butt and his PC was dragged to Hell. "I thought it was a beneficial item!"

Chris was a fun guy when he played with us. (He moved out of the area) but he loved to try on my nooses for size. That one he actually bought the rope for and tied the knot himself.

Arkhemedes
07-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Stormbringer from the Elric novels... my brother stated it out into a 1e storyline years ago & it was fun as hell
Back in my early days of gaming, we had a DM who had the god Arioch make a deal with another one of the PCs in exchange for Stormbringer. Shortly after this character got the sword the DM quit on us and I took over as DM. The player with the character that had Stormbringer talked me into letting this character into my game with the sword. I then found out what a mistake that was! The damn thing cut through enemies like they were nothing and killed almost as many allies as it did foes! So I had to get rid if it quickly. I then remembered from the books that Stormbringer and Elric were inseparately bound together. So I had Elric show up and he eventually got his sword back.

Skunkape
07-01-2009, 11:19 AM

And the rest of the party was so happy you found that early warning device!:p

Though it was nice that we could avoid the undead and attack them from range whenever they came for a visit, since they always went your way!:biggrin:

spotlight
07-01-2009, 01:10 PM
I have a character who gained a ring of power, not Tolkinish, power absorbing. He had become an old man after practicly conquering the know world, then began studing magicks in order to prolong his life.

Eventually a dark god offered him immortality (Actually he said, "you will not die") for service to the god. The character accepted, got the ring, and became vampiric in nature. He did NOT die.

The ring enhanced his majicsks and even made him young looking. He discovered, with that god's help, other worlds and began the process of conquering all he found.

Wanting to transfer that dead game to a new one, I had to change things a bit. The character's story was that the Guardians of all those worlds banded togather to stop him, eventually defeated him, and buried him alive. They cut off the hand with the offending ring and buried it elsewhere.

Now the character is literally 'undead' with his body only a skeleton, low level, very little majic, with a blood-lust, and questing for his ring of power.

Note to self: never make deals for majic items, especially when the DM has an evil laugh.

Sethannon
07-01-2009, 02:47 PM
One of my players is just now suffering from an item like this: He obtained a sentient spellbook that had a wizard inside it. The book informed him that he was an old friend of the creator and had been put inside to be a mobile "teacher" to the creators apprentices if they got the book.

This spellbook allowed the mage greater powers when casting magic with things like greater duration/damage, being able to cast spells above their ability, slowly revealing new spells to the carrier, etc.

The problem is that the more you used it, the more you became "attuned" to the book. This gave the wizard inside it a higher ego score to compete against you.

Eventually the player was convinced to cast spells outside of his ability which enabled the wizard in the book to make his move. He dominated the player and used his own magic to trap the players conciousness in the wizard's place. Only then did the player find out that the wizard in the book was an enemy of the creator and put there as punishment. The creator had put multiple warnings on the use of the book, which of course the player ignored.

Now it will be interesting to see how the other party members and the now-trapped player get themselves out of this one! They better move quick before the formerly trapped wizard has a chance to rest and regain his spells!

Baldwin Stonewood
07-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Though it was nice that we could avoid the undead and attack them from range whenever they came for a visit, since they always went your way!:biggrin:

I knew you would eventually see it my way!!!:laugh:

Dytrrnikl
07-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Personally, my favorite is from 2E - a girdle of enfeeblement. Onced donned, it permanently inflicted the negative effects of aging as though you physically aged to venerable age. When identified it radiated as though it was a Girdle of Storm Giant Strength and functioned as such until the first combat encounter in which the character would make an attack roll - then WHAM!!! enfeebled. The give away that something was not quite right - your joints ached as though you had severe arthritis after 10 minutes of wearing the belt, after which time you couldn't take it off until after the curse hit you. Normal rules for handling cursed items applied in it's removal.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Crap, I'm a dolt, missed the 3E in brackets...in 3E it was a pretty vanilla item - a hat of stupidity.

spotlight
07-02-2009, 04:08 PM
AAHH! The old Girdle of Enfeeblement Trick. One group I was with found something much the same. Going thru a cave system that had a lot of the old burn-em before you leave-em trolls, we discovered one in an apparent jail cell, chained and hanging on the wall, strangly desicated, barely more than skin, but alive.

Quickly, we dosed it with the last bit of our oil and set it ablaze. After a couple of minutes of burning, a ring fell to the floor and our fighter snatched it up and put it on. Only to discover fairly soon that it was a ring of de-generation. He did not make it back to town.

Dytrrnikl
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
AAHH! The old Girdle of Enfeeblement Trick. One group I was with found something much the same. Going thru a cave system that had a lot of the old burn-em before you leave-em trolls, we discovered one in an apparent jail cell, chained and hanging on the wall, strangly desicated, barely more than skin, but alive...a ring fell to the floor and our fighter snatched it up and put it on. Only to discover fairly soon that it was a ring of de-generation. He did not make it back to town.

THAT"S AWESOME!!! If you don't mind, I'm going to use this one. I think I may have a way to introduce something like it into my Star Wars campaign as a Force powered artifact - Sith item that is.

spotlight
07-11-2009, 03:53 PM
"That's the way, uhu, uhu, you do it, uhu ..." Of course, I would like to hear about how it turns out. Keep us posted.

Norvilion
07-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Campaign I was running was sans healer of anyone with Use Magic Device as a class skill, so I decided to drop in a cursed item to help out with a dungeon crawl. It would have been a great boon to their progress, but they just couldn't live with the side effects and ended up burying it in a bag and never speaking of it again.

Cursed wand of lesser restoration- Restores 1 HP per round of effect but turns everyone within (the area) into a big-eyed pocket bunny (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/norvilion/Pocketrabbit.jpg?t=1247349347)

As a bunny
• +10 to spot, search, listen check to find bunnies
• Evil opponents get a +10 bonus to attack to harm

• Neutral opponents must make a DC10 will save to harm
• Good opponents must make a DC20 will save to harm
• Cannot escape until one minute has passed, then DC15 will save to transform out
• Standing still and concentrating for 5 rounds will impart a +5 bonus to escape the next chance to escape
• Encouraging another for 5 rounds will impart a +2 bonus to their chance to escape per person encouraging
• Chance to escape occurs once per minute, increasing by 1DC for every minute that has passed
• Directly after 8 hours of sleep can make a DC20+(number of days) to escape
• Can be reversed with Remove curse cast by one who is not a bunny
•Items and spells are still usable, but power is greatly diminished

Baldwin Stonewood
07-12-2009, 08:33 AM

It was humorous the first few games when I mumbled every and any type of word combinations in an attempt to control the undead.

Jmkeylon
07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
My favorite cursed Item was a belt of changing, it appeared to have a nice strength boost to it... when equipped you got the strength boost but you also got your sex changed! along with all memories of you ever being your original sex. made for great fun poking fun at the character wearing it!

shilar
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Mine was always the ring of three wishes.

nijineko
09-01-2009, 10:32 AM
an interesting trapped item i came up with was not so much an item as a monster... a viral infection that inhabited metallic objects by rearranging the crystalline structure of the object to form living colonies. the side effect of this rearrangement was that the item looked and weighed like gold, but was more brittle, thus failing the usual 'bite' test for purity. with a sufficient density of object-inhabiting-colonies, they became mildly intelligent and psionic, subtly influencing the 'owners' to gather more metal objects.

the character usually wound up thinking they'd found some 'midas touch' item, at least until it was discovered that it wasn't real gold. the other catch was that as it grew larger and more numerous, the appetite grew as well, as did the area of influence of the psionics, though the overall intelligence did not. eventually it would not be satisfied with seeking and finding small objects but would absorb metals from anything that contained even a trace of metals... like animals, or plants, or people, or the ground.

it's growth and increase in abilities and effective hd were tracked by weight.

spotlight
09-03-2009, 04:24 PM
very interesting Nin. send that over to your fav monster line.

As for those wish rings, I like to add a little touch. They don't work if you 'find' them, only if you steal them. Adds a little to character's RP.

bitemytail
09-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Irremovable pants.

Not really a problem. Unless you have a digestive system.

tesral
09-07-2009, 09:54 AM
I forgot the robe of blending. It had a label "Oster" on it. The PC still went for the item. Four buttons on the front.

So he puts it on, and buttons buttons. Chop, mince, puree, liquefy. A loud whrring sound and his head falls off the cloak collapses amide the liquid remains of the rest of him.

traesin
09-08-2009, 03:17 AM
My favorite cursed Item was a belt of changing, it appeared to have a nice strength boost to it... when equipped you got the strength boost but you also got your sex changed! along with all memories of you ever being your original sex. made for great fun poking fun at the character wearing it!

lol. that happen in one of my old games. The player was a "manly" man too. It was great fun!

TheSmartestLemming
09-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Irremovable pants.

Not really a problem. Unless you have a digestive system.

That's an awesome idea. I just thought of a fun way to introduce them too. Some necromancer had issues with his zombies becoming "indecent" and figured out a way to solve the solution, pants that would never fall down. The party fights them, kills them, and if they're like any group I've ever played with, will cast detect magic to make sure they've found everything. Someone's bound to try the pants on. Hilarious.

WhiteTiger
09-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity
Dungeon Master's Guide
Encyclopedia Magica Vol. 2

XP Value: -
GP Value: 1,000 (Changing); 1,500 (Neutering)
This broad leather band seems to be a normal belt, but when worn, it immediately changes the sex of the wearer to the opposite gender. It then loses all power. There is no sure way to restore the character's original sex, though there is a 50% chance that a wish might, and a powerful being could alter the situation. Of these girdles, 10% actually neuter the wearer.

You'd be surprised how easily you can frighten your players with this. :biggrin:

Mars
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
One time a while back, my party acquired an intelligent mandolin. Needless to say, it was the most annoying item i've ever encountered. Maybe not cursed, but annoying!

tesral
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
That can be worse than cursed.

traesin
09-18-2009, 02:54 AM
I created a scoll a long time ago that changed steel to Nerf.

tesral
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
That is just mean, I like it.

I might go with a more genre appropriate material, like cork or horsehair stuffed cloth myself, but it's a good one.

An amulet of Natural Armor +6. Great item, even works for a day or so, then turns all the steel you own into cork.

WhiskeyFur
09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Ring of detect lie, cursed.

You would know when others lied. They also knew when you lied...

Snuck this one to a bard we didn't like that was smearing our name, and right before a public performance too. Everything good, the food was good, we had fun... especially when his voice rose about 6 octaves mid song in what was considered his masterpiece.

Muhahahaha....

tesral
09-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Rich, just rich.

Arkhemedes
09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
The Blood Coin - gave this to a player and every time he did anything without charging as much money as he could for it he cried tears of blood. The only way to rid yourself of it is to give away all possessions and live in poverty for a year.

tesral
09-26-2009, 12:55 AM
The Blood Coin - gave this to a player and every time he did anything without charging as much money as he could for it he cried tears of blood. The only way to rid yourself of it is to give away all possessions and live in poverty for a year.

Na, that one is a character destroyer. I never destroy characters with a cursed item. I would let a remove curse take it off. After all the coin would offend charitable houses of worship.

spotlight
09-26-2009, 03:52 PM
A character I had picked up an ax on an adventure. Demon Slayer, it was called. Every time he faced a demon, it would teleport to his hands, knocking out what ever else was in his hands and forced him to fight the demon exclusivly. It was good fun for a while, 'till I realized that it was summoning those damn demons also. The curse lasted untill the character died or tricked someone else into picking up the ax.

"Hey, would you hand me that ax out of my backpack? Never mind, I don't need it, .... now."

Arkhemedes
09-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Na, that one is a character destroyer. I never destroy characters with a cursed item. I would let a remove curse take it off. After all the coin would offend charitable houses of worship.
Oh, don't worry. This didn't destroy the character. Quite the opposite in fact. It was in a Ravenloft campaign where this would be considered one of the more tame cursed magic items. I made/let the character/player deal with the problems presented by this item for a bit making for very interesting role playing challenges. Then we skipped ahead one year in game time (something I had planned on doing anyway for other reasons) during which time the character was able to rid himself of the coin and came out on the other side with a very interesting story to tell as well as an unusual role playing perspective for his character - and the player loved it!

WhiskeyFur
09-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Oh, don't worry. This didn't destroy the character. Quite the opposite in fact. It was in a Ravenloft campaign where this would be considered one of the more tame cursed magic items. I made/let the character/player deal with the problems presented by this item for a bit making for very interesting role playing challenges. Then we skipped ahead one year in game time (something I had planned on doing anyway for other reasons) during which time the character was able to rid himself of the coin and came out on the other side with a very interesting story to tell as well as an unusual role playing perspective for his character - and the player loved it!

Got half an idea he multiclassed into monk if he hadn't already, that or a cleric. Either one residing in a monastery for a time. That's the kind of coin that can force a change in path.

Arkhemedes
09-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Got half an idea he multiclassed into monk if he hadn't already, that or a cleric. Either one residing in a monastery for a time. That's the kind of coin that can force a change in path.
No, unfortunately, he was a bard who often played gigs where people tossed coins his way, which is how he got the the cursed coin in the first place. During his year of poverty he had to pretty much give up his music altogether. But when he finally got rid of the coin he got to write a song about it. We were playing 2e at the time so multi-classing was not an option.

traesin
09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I always like the robe of blending.