PDA

View Full Version : Rip michael jackson

Dimthar
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Well ... He is gone .. :violin:

Time to Run a Game with Dancing Zombies .. Tales of the Floating Vagabond is one option.

RIP Michael Jackson.

Sascha
06-25-2009, 06:46 PM
One of, if not the best video. Evar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8) A better legacy I cannot imagine (minus all the tabloid stuff, that is).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Sad day. He ruled back in the early 80's. Cant tell you how many hours i spend practicing martial arts in my room rocking out to Michael. I'll forever remember the good times. RIP, Michael.

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Eh,...Frankly I'm more bummed about Farrah's death, although I was a big fan of the Jackson 5 as a kid.

Tamburlain
06-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I can't help but think of young Michael. Even when past his prime, his talent was just... uncanny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYhacSjWEU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com%2Farchives%2F2009%2F0 6%2Fremembering_the_time.php&feature=player_embedded).

It's easy to say that he turned into a kind of monster (freaks happen, but monsters are created), but it may be harder to appreciate that, despite all of his talent, his was a life filled with sadness and confusion (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/06/thinking-about-michael.html).

Webhead
06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
This is a truly sad day. All controversy aside, he was a talented man who will be missed. Thank you for all the years of fond memories, Michael. :(

GoddessGood
06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
I heard about it on the radio ... He will be missed. His music can still give me chills.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-25-2009, 09:42 PM
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Eh,...Frankly I'm more bummed about Farrah's death, although I was a big fan of the Jackson 5 as a kid.

Man was she hot in Saturn 3, mmm.

I can't help but think of young Michael. Even when past his prime, his talent was just... uncanny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzYhacSjWEU&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fta-nehisicoates.theatlantic.com%2Farchives%2F2009%2F0 6%2Fremembering_the_time.php&feature=player_embedded).

It's easy to say that he turned into a kind of monster (freaks happen, but monsters are created), but it may be harder to appreciate that, despite all of his talent, his was a life filled with sadness and confusion (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/06/thinking-about-michael.html).

I couldn't agree with you more. I heard he once recorded a song in one take. Now that's damn impressive.

Very true. It was obvious his life was filled with sadness.

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
The man made the album Thriller which makes him a legend forever. I was telling my sister earlier. He could have dropped that baby off the balcony, molested Maculley, and even gunned mother Theresa down point blank with a shot gun and none of it would matter. The dude made Thriller!!!

Oldgamer
06-26-2009, 08:55 AM
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Man was she hot in Saturn 3, mmm.

:hail:

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Yea I forgot to mention just how hot Farrah Fawcett used to be. I texted my friend yesterday saying that Charlie just lost one of his angels....to god

Dytrrnikl
06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't really see it as a loss to the world at large about this guy passing away...a man who paid 20 million to settle a molestation law suit...bobbled an infant out of a balcony window several stories up.

However, his passing is a definate loss to his family and my thoughts go to them for their grief.

Werekoala
06-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I think it says something that I read the first Michael Jackson Death joke about 30 seconds after finding out he died, as I was reading a Farrah's Dead thread at the time. I'd repeat it here because it actually made me laugh, but I'm not sure how "over the line" it'd be. No bad words, just an oblique reference to his apparance. :)

That said, yes, his music was pretty damn good - part of the soundtrack of my youth, no doubt.

Panthro82
06-26-2009, 05:09 PM
How many people can say they owned an entire decade? Michael Jackson completely owned the 80's! He was hands down the top performer and musical artist of the entire decade! And that was after the Jackson 5! They were huge in the 70's! I'm not a die hard fan but I absolutely appreciate what he has done for the music industry. I mean Thriller is one of the 5 greatest albums of all-time.

Dytrrnikl
06-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Personally, I think the music industry would've been fine without him. However, there is no way to tell, without somehow going back in time and stopping him from performing. It was such a pain in the ass in the 80s for me...I did everything possible to avoid hearing his music. Why? For one, his singing voice has a quality to it that comes across as...irritating is the only way to describe it. From that it evolved into complete dislike because he was so popular for everyone else. Ahhh, the irrational mind of a child.

All of that aside now, I have a question. I acknowledge that he is one of pops biggest entertainers of all time, and probably changed the face of music during his heyday. However, this is just a guy. How is it that he's getting so much hoopla about his death, when all he did was sing? He didn't do anything that earth shattering, just sing. This guy isn't the pope, the president, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, or even in the same realm as any of them, yet the media is treating his passing as the death to be heard around the world. Come on, people die all the time. He's just one more guy. The only people that are going to miss him are his friends and family. I'm certainly not. Nor should anyone who didn't personally know the guy. Let him die quietly. Of course, things might be like Tupac...hmmm another performer 'supposedly' dead and buried...yet 4 albums are released post humously, the last being in 2002.

RoryN
06-28-2009, 12:47 AM
I'm not going to defend or deny what the man did in his personal life, nor am I going to try and argue with what anyone else has said here, despite I disagree with some. I will say regardless of what Jackson did in his personal life, as a musician and occassional writer myself, I have great respect for the things he accomplished in his musical career as a writer, arranger, producer, and singer. I pretty much grew up with him as we are the same age, so my memories of him start back with the Jackson 5 and move on through the 70's as he grew as a writer and performer.

Sascha
06-28-2009, 01:32 AM
All of that aside now, I have a question. I acknowledge that he is one of pops biggest entertainers of all time, and probably changed the face of music during his heyday. However, this is just a guy. How is it that he's getting so much hoopla about his death, when all he did was sing? He didn't do anything that earth shattering, just sing. This guy isn't the pope, the president, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, or even in the same realm as any of them, yet the media is treating his passing as the death to be heard around the world. Come on, people die all the time. He's just one more guy. The only people that are going to miss him are his friends and family. I'm certainly not. Nor should anyone who didn't personally know the guy.
Part of this is a lot of people - my parents' generation, namely - literally grew up with him; he was in the public eye so long, that folks identified with him. Not necessarily towards the end of the 80s, mind you; but from the Jackson Five to around Bad was the period of transition, children to adults to parents, and his songs marked some of those changes. (Dangerous and beyond, well, the quality of the songs started to wane; "Black and White" is the only song I can name off the top of my head, good or bad.)

The other part is that he was an artist. Powerful force, the ability to instill emotional response, whether it's through song or another form of performance; I mean, one wouldn't really call Mozart or Beethoven "just a guy," right? The value we as a species put on art is immense, and its impact can be much more widespread than a work's original medium.

Again, these emotions tie back to crucial moments in our maturation, as individuals and as a culture. Michael Jackson's music was - is - something of a common bond, crossing generations, races, countries; a shared frame of reference where otherwise we may struggle to relate. That his death (I really hate euphemisms for this topic) reminds us of those ties is a good thing. Where his later music failed to reach us in the same fashion, the memories of his earlier work bring it all back, and the reality of his loss (euphemism; sorry) means that we won't have him to unite us anymore, 'cept in memory.

(And ... holy eulogies, Batman. Talk about a delayed emotional response, heh; the news initially didn't spark anything remotely like this, but now, yeesh.)

Panthro82
06-28-2009, 06:57 AM
in the vein of Nelson Munce.....HAHA you made yourself cry! :)

Oldgamer
06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
MJ may not have been to everyone's taste, I liked him in the 70's and 80's but his music turned it seemed, for the worse. But he was a bard through and through, and a high leveled one at that. What level bard would you have to be to have Fascinate affect 1 billion people? :biggrin:

Dytrrnikl
06-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Solid points Sascha. If I had been alive in the time of Mozart and Beethoven, with the way I've always railed against whatever the 'popular' things are, I'd say they were just another guy. But thats me. I cringe to think that MJ or any other commercial artist from the last 60 years is going to one day possibly be looked at in the same light as we people view Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, and all the rest of the classical composers. Of course, that thinking doesn't hold true for people like John Williams, Basil Polidouris, or other modern classical composers. It's just a bunch snobbery on my part.

On a side note...
Personally, I think Hollywood and the music industry should hire hitmen to eliminate the Paparazzi and TMZ and all of the other tabloids that stick there nose into the private lives of celebrities. They're just people, eye candy with some talent. Watch them when they perform, then leave'em alone when they're not.

Tamburlain
06-28-2009, 04:54 PM
I think Sascha hit the nail squarely on the head. I was into his music as a little kid (Off the Wall period) and as a preteen (Thriller)... actually, pretty much everyone I knew was at that time. For me and gazillions of people close to my age, his music is simply a large part of the soundtrack to childhood and early adolescence. So MJ's dying reminds me of my own mortality, for better or worse.

Another thing... is that he really is one of the last of a certain kind of 20th Century MEGA-entertainer. Elvis, Beatles (John and Paul), and then there's MJ. Regardless of what I may think of their relative talents, they penetrated culture to an incomparable degree. I'm not talking nec. greatness, but simply popularity and influence. Now that the market is so diverse, I don't think we'll ever see their level of global popularity and cultural penetration ever again.

I guess Paul McCartney will be the very last to go. Maybe someone might make an argument for Mick Jagger or Bob Dylan, but as much as I love me some Stones and Bobby D, I don't think they're quite as MEGA froo-froo as MJ.

Panthro82
06-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I couldn't get over that he was 50! I thought he was in his early 40's at the oldest!

Also I was watching Paul McCartney's reactions to MJ dying and you could see that he was mostly upset because he has hated MJ for almost 10 years now. He told MJ in confidence as a friend about the Beatles entire musical catalog going up for sale. He told MJ he was gonna buy it, and then MJ stole it right out from under him just hours before McCartney bought it. They hadn't been friends or even talked since...

Sascha
06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
I guess Paul McCartney will be the very last to go.
I'm finding it sadder that we have more Beatles left than Ramones, heh.

Tamburlain
06-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm finding it sadder that we have more Beatles left than Ramones, heh.

Sadder, yes! I thought we'd lost all of the Ramones (Joey was the one I really liked). But really some time in my 20s I stopped keeping track. Maybe after Wendy O. Williams' suicide. Just too many...

Panthro82
06-29-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm not as surprised that the Ramones are dying off faster. They were punk. Its not just a musical genre its a lifestyle. You gotta live hard.