PDA

View Full Version : 100th Thread

Soft Serve
06-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Sorry I just wanted it.

Favorite Sci-Fi game anyone?

I'd have to go with Star Wars anything since it's Star Wars, I know it, and it's pretty light on the numbers.

(Compared to Traveller at least)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Traveller d6/mongoose Traveller, which we all know is starwarsyish, but sssh, it has always been a secret.

This being said, i'd love to play star wars d6 if ever given the opportunity. Other science fictions games i love? Gamma World d6.

Soft Serve
06-24-2009, 11:50 PM
oooOOOOoo

I have no idea what Gamma World is...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Here ya go, in case your curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_World

This can be a great game to play at Cons. The rules are simple and the game is straightforward. Ahh, great fun, but don't expect balance, you wont find it with this one.

I've actually been known to combine both Gamma World and Traveller into one game. What a blast that was, but i digress.

Umiushi
06-25-2009, 04:10 AM
For my top choice, I love Traveller because the mechanics are so interesting, and, well, arbitrary. Also, Traveller character generation is an adventure in itself. Runners up are Star Frontiers, Mekton Zeta, and Teenagers from Outer Space. The last is...well, science fiction definitely plays a part in the setting. I just had an epiphany: a Galaxy Angel campaign using TFOS rules! Well, save that for another time.

Actually, I'm still waiting for the science fiction rpg that will sweep me off my feet. In my dreams, I see it as some unholy melding of the ones I listed above, minus TFOS.

Since you just said "game," I'm going to take advantage of that and list a few of my favorite science fiction board and card games: Race for the Galaxy, Cosmic Encounter, and Pandemic. Yes, Pandemic is about as science fiction as it gets: it's all about science, and it's fiction, so there. Well, it's fiction for now, anyway. Cosmic Encounter could have easily been my favorite if it wasn't for the length of time it takes and the potential for frustratingly ambiguous situations to develop all too often.

No science fiction game thread is complete without mentioning that monstrosity Attack Vector: Tactical. Sure, knowledge of calculus isn't strictly required to play the game. The designers covered for that with all their handy charts and algorithms. Calculus would have helped, however, if you wanted to play the game within a human lifetime. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I think it would be fun to try, but I just can't set a month of my life aside to do it.

Razmus
06-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Favorite: Traveller 'cause of it's tasty numeric crunchiness, and it still has the best features of a good old fashion space opera. It's also positioned just in my comfort zone.

I keep looking at Transhuman Space or trying to game in Orion's Arm universe, but the implications of AI singularities and transhumanism scare me. (I still love the concepts, and can't really find fault in them. That future depresses the poor little mortal baseline human in me.)

I'd contemplate trying to play in the Star Trek UFP universe, but it strikes me as a little sterile.

Soft Serve
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I have a tough bit of question for you. If humanity progressed to the point where all you would do all day is literally sit in a chair and press buttons. (Even more then we do now I mean)

Do you think we would get fat (fatter then we are now I mean)

Or would or metabolisms adjust and keep us at a decent average?

Or would the pressure to look good keep us there? (More then it already does I mean)

Or whatever else you think.

Razmus
06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I have a tough bit of question for you. If humanity progressed to the point where all you would do all day is literally sit in a chair and press buttons. (Even more then we do now I mean)

Or would the pressure to look good keep us there? (More then it already does I mean)

When common people had little food and had to work hard - society decided fat people LOOKED good.
When common people had to work outside in the sun all day - society decided that very fair skin looked good... people would poison themselves with lead makeup to have very white skin.
When common people started working indoors, pushing buttons... society decided tanned, muscular/thin people look good.
If common people have to work indoors and only push buttons, society will decide even more that tanned, muscular/thin people are the ideal, and many will still strive for that ideal. So yeah -- that pressure will become even more important as fewer jobs require people to use their muscles and work outside.

Besides, presumably (hopefully) evolutionary pressure will remove the severe couch potatoes. :-)

Soft Serve
06-25-2009, 08:23 PM
Like myself...lol.

Good answer.

trechriron
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Starblazer Adventures (http://www.cubicle-7.com/starblazer.htm) - FATE 3.0 with AWESOME tweaks. I am really digging the story-focused approach without sarficing my medium-crunch desires.

GURPS 4e (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/) Space (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/space/), Traveller Interstellar Wars (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/traveller/interstellarwars/), and Transhuman Space (http://www.sjgames.com/transhuman/). There are 4e updates (Changing Times (http://www.sjgames.com/transhuman/changingtimes/) and Shell Tech (http://www.sjgames.com/transhuman/shell-tech/)) to THS - very good!

I will always have a place in my heart for Shadowrun (http://www.shadowrun4.com/), and the new 20th anniversary edition looks gorgeous!

Also, It's not out yet, but Eclipse Phase (http://catalystgamelabs.com/2009/06/22/catalyst-game-labs-publishing-eclipse-phase/) looks really interesting...

mjungledog
06-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Strictly for nostalgic purposes my favorite SF RPG would be Star Frontiers.

It was my first sci fi game ad has remaied my favorite all of these years.

Soft Serve
06-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Ah Shadowrun has to be the greatest concept of any game I've ever read. I wish I could have gotten a group for it off though.

Inquisitor Tremayne
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Star Wars Saga Edition.

Aside form a few minor details I think it is the best pnp RPG ever.

Soft Serve
07-03-2009, 01:30 PM
I've read through the Clone Wars handbook. It doesn't look to appealing to me. Not because it's star wars I just don't like the whole d20 3.5 feel.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Except for dnd, i don't care for d20 in any of my games. To me, d20 is dnd only.

Soft Serve
07-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Except for dnd, i don't care for d20 in any of my games. To me, d20 is dnd only.

Same. Well and the game I'm making now which is really rules light...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
07-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Be sure to let us check out the final product, Soft Serve.

Soft Serve
07-03-2009, 02:04 PM
it's playable if you want to gander. A Warfare game with Fantasy elements. (Shadowrun, WFRP, etc)

My goal was a rules set that could span settings (Eras).

A WWII era (with or without fantasy elements)
A Modern Warfare era (with or without fantasy)
A Futuristic era (fantasy optional)
And a Fantasy setting. (magic optional)

As of yet I've only completed the base rules, character creation, and the futuristic eras. I'm doing magic rules later today.

www.brandnewwar.webs.com (http://www.brandnewwar.webs.com)

PEACH it. (Please Examine and Critique Honestly)

WCRPG Butcher
07-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I've always been a fan of the Cyberpunk RPG myself

Soft Serve
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
I've always been a fan of the Cyberpunk RPG myself

Shadowrun is hardly cyberpunk but it's as close as I've gotten and I love it too.

tesral
07-09-2009, 08:35 AM

I'm kind of funny that way myself. I consider d20 is a good system for fantasy, but lacks enough flexibility and options for anything else.

Valdar
07-09-2009, 12:25 PM

I see obesity being the next target of public health, in the same way that smoking was, and vaccination needs to be now. It was probably really hard to stop smoking when all your friends were doing it, and same goes for overeating and not exercising now.

My personal anti-smoking education was pretty thorough (Mom brought home microtome sections of diseased lungs to show us when we were kids), but diet and exercise? Not so much. I'm pretty sure that if I got into an exercise regimen as a kid, I'd be doing it now without thinking about it, and not struggling to make time for it and usually forgetting. Hopefully as public health starts campaigns for it, kids will start growing up doing regular cardio, and things like diabetes and insulin resistance will start to taper off.

That's just my wishful thinking though. Personally, I'd much rather use a transporter and just beam myself thin, but I think that's still a few centuries off.

Soft Serve
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I see obesity being the next target of public health, in the same way that smoking was, and vaccination needs to be now. It was probably really hard to stop smoking when all your friends were doing it, and same goes for overeating and not exercising now.

My personal anti-smoking education was pretty thorough (Mom brought home microtome sections of diseased lungs to show us when we were kids), but diet and exercise? Not so much. I'm pretty sure that if I got into an exercise regimen as a kid, I'd be doing it now without thinking about it, and not struggling to make time for it and usually forgetting. Hopefully as public health starts campaigns for it, kids will start growing up doing regular cardio, and things like diabetes and insulin resistance will start to taper off.

That's just my wishful thinking though. Personally, I'd much rather use a transporter and just beam myself thin, but I think that's still a few centuries off.

...Woulden't a transporter, transport at least something? Maybe itr would jus ttransport the fat out of your skin away to Jupiter. I would say the moon but I'm sure we'll be living there already for fear of the earth exploding.

Valdar
07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
...Woulden't a transporter, transport at least something? Maybe itr would jus ttransport the fat out of your skin away to Jupiter. I would say the moon but I'm sure we'll be living there already for fear of the earth exploding.

Star Trek transporters have biofilters that leave behind infectious diseases- that's why nobody has to go through quarantine when they come back from a planet.

It just seems like you could tell the transporter to leave the fat down there on the planet too...

Soft Serve
07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Star Trek transporters have biofilters that leave behind infectious diseases- that's why nobody has to go through quarantine when they come back from a planet.

It just seems like you could tell the transporter to leave the fat down there on the planet too...

Imagine the people on the planet you just left. Standing there. Staring at a pile of your fat...

I would take a picture mid-transport which I assume would look like human shapes in some giant white glow being poofed out of the pure fat in their bodies which would probably burn red and light on fire before they hit the ground to get rid of waste.

tesral
07-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Breaking out the mental floss....

Soft Serve
07-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Breaking out the mental floss....

Don't bother. You failed your SAN roll.

tesral
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Don't bother. You failed your SAN roll.

You're assuming a san stat. Can't lose what you don't have.

Soft Serve
07-13-2009, 02:03 AM
You're assuming a san stat. Can't lose what you don't have.

Alright. I see how we're going to be....

Razmus
07-13-2009, 06:56 AM
I would take a picture mid-transport which I assume would look like human shapes in some giant white glow being poofed out of the pure fat in their bodies which would probably burn red and light on fire before they hit the ground to get rid of waste.

How... wasteful. The fat just gets shunted off to the replicator system. Every ounce of fat it receives and marbles into someone's steak or ice cream is a whole lot of energy saved in matter creation.
No more wondering what the green food is... courtesy of Soylent Green Corp(tm).

Soft Serve
07-13-2009, 10:55 AM
How... wasteful. The fat just gets shunted off to the replicator system. Every ounce of fat it receives and marbles into someone's steak or ice cream is a whole lot of energy saved in matter creation.
No more wondering what the green food is... courtesy of Soylent Green Corp(tm).

Futurama reference?

Razmus
07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Futurama reference?
Not on purpose. Not a fan of Matt Groening's work. Please tell me I'm not starting to channel this stuff. *worry* Next thing you know, I'll introduce flying bears to my games. :eek:

Valdar
07-14-2009, 01:14 PM
It's a pretty obvious concept- not surprising that Futurama came up with it independently.

There was a bit on a sketch comedy show about a food product made from the fat liposuctioned off celebrities.

One Star Trek book whose title I've forgotten mentions that replicators need some sort of base matter as "molecule reserves" to turn into the stuff that it makes. Depending on how generic the molecules are, I suppose they could come from the transporter's obesity filter...