PDA

View Full Version : Player Registry: Distance Doesn't Work

Calamity
06-24-2009, 11:14 AM
I search for games within 15 miles and I see games in Ohio and North Carolina. I've tried this feature many times over the past few months, on different machines with different networks, and on IE or Firefox. Still doesn't work. Strangely, sorting through "Online Only" games does work. What gives?

Harwel
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I've never had the problem you're describing. Just tried it again, and I can't duplicate it. Strange. :confused: If it was only happening for you in Firefox I'd be quick to blame NoScript or something, but that's clearly not the case.

Farcaster
06-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Calamity,

Can you post the exact search terms you are using including the city, state and whatever filters you have put into the player registry search?

mrken
06-24-2009, 01:53 PM
You do need to put in your Zip code. I have found that I have forgot that simple fact I get thousands of pages of gamers that live close to me. :D

Farcaster
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
You shouldn't need to put in a zipcode, actually. However, if you omit the zipcode, and put just a city and state, for example, then the search centers on the middle of the city. If you are getting a result other than that, please let me know how to reproduce it.

cplmac
06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Farcaster,

I was able to get the thousand of people search to reproduce. I did it by only setting the 15 mile distance selection in the window where you would also put in city, state, and zip code. I left all that information blank and only selected 15 miles from that window. I got results for Nashville, Philladelphia, Fort Worth, etc. However, if you use the single line that reads to look for players with similar interests and select the 15 miles there, it only shows results in that distance parameter.

Farcaster
06-26-2009, 01:37 PM
If that is how you are doing it, it is happening because just setting 15 miles in the area search doesn't give it enough information to search the registry, so it returns the entire list. I could add an error message to make this more clear, though.

Calamity
06-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I've now tested it since the sync with Obsidian Portal website,and I can view campaigns in my area. Very nice feature
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Only gripe I have now is OP is filled with campaigns that haven't been updated in 6+ months and/or have no information or players in them. Sort of a false positive.

cplmac
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done about the no information or old/not updated information. That is up to the person that is running that game to keep up on. I will mention that if a particular game or group is not looking for any new players, they will most likely not be updating the thread until they would really find a need to.

Farcaster
07-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Obsidian Portal campaigns should be filtered already if the user hasn't logged in at least six months, but there is no guarantee that they have updated their campaign. The only thing I could think of to correct this sort of thing would be some sort of nag-mail that askes members to confirm that they are still looking-for-players.