PDA

View Full Version : niji has a job interview, send hope and faith! ^^

nijineko
06-24-2009, 01:53 AM
tomorrow (wednesday the 24th) i have a job interview which will also take the form of a three contest elimination.... if i pass, i get to come back the following day for an ultimate contest final elimination. pass that and i get offered a job.

the job? oh, just that of a lego model builder. ^^

so any positive thoughts, karma, prayers, faith, luck, wishes, other general goodness, and so forth and so on, that anyone may wish to send my way, please think of me tomorrow and do so! i really need this job as i've been unemployed for months now... besides, just how much more cool a job can one have, ne? =D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-24-2009, 02:00 AM
Thoth works his magick ritual and sends the luck of the universe your way.

Oldgamer
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Good luck! The economy is counting on it! It would give me warm fuzzies if you got the job, at least it would be a good sign.

emblasochist
06-24-2009, 10:27 AM
When I saw that its the job of a Lego Model Builder I thought you lucky SOB. Then I realized that I am probably a bit too far away from LEGO to actually get the job. Now, had I been in California, I'm sorry to say that I couldn't support you because I am 22 years old and I've been a Lego addict since I was 2. But since I'm not, I wish you the very best of luck, because really, how else would I get to see the Legos I've always wanted to see made otherwise?

nijineko
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
thank you all. i so appreciate it!

*respectful salute towards emblasochist* you know what they say, "keep your friends close and your enemies closer", though if we were in proximity, i would hope for 'respected competitors' rather than enemies per se. ^^

in any case thanks for the well wishes. we certainly need all the help we can get!

today, this afternoon (pacific time) off i go!

MortonStromgal
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
You'll be in my thoughts

Freejack
06-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I rolled 18 dice of which; 8 were 5's and 5 were 6's. With 13 successes, you're a shoe-in.

Good luck... I mean, congratulations!

:D

Carl

nijineko
06-25-2009, 12:04 AM
thank you so much for all your well wishes and support!

an update on the days activities.... well, that was a fun, if intense day! we had three builds we had to do. for obvious reasons, i cannot go into too much detail. legal rights, and so forth. but i can tell you a fair bit.

like any good gamemaster, i'll start with the environment and surroundings, given the above limitations. we had a table to work on, and a bin for collecting. there were a number of people-fellow prospectives-in the room, whom you were competing against, or with, depending. a large number of legoland employees were also present, some to observe, some to judge, some to film us, both distance and up close shots. not the easiest thing to concentrate when you have a film camera pointing at your face or hands.... many quiet comments were exchanged and the employees (and public media, apparently) were moving around constantly. against the pressures of time, competition, observation of many kinds (is this going on the air at some point???), and the knowledge that commentary is going on around you, some of which was about you and your work.... quite intense.

the first: we were handed a lego model and a bunch of pieces. the task was to copy it exactly, brick for brick. i finished with maybe 30-60 seconds to spare of the total time alloted. i'm pretty sure i got it exactly.

the second: a team build, where we were assigned to teams and tasked to build a model which was shown briefly and then removed from the room. our team broke the build up into sections and each worked on our section. finishing mine, i started helping the others, but had to go back and adjust my section to match a differing width of the next section. communication is important. ^^ anyhow, our model was about 5/6th finished when the time ran out. we did a pretty decent job, overall.

the last: the creative build. we had a set amount of time and a source of lego bricks to collect from. i wound up making a scale tree complete with a tree house that was designed to look as if a kid had built it, not perfect, but full of potential. some "grass", a "stream", some "rocks", and some butterflies and flowers completed my attempt.

i'll have to find out if i can get permission to show the pictures. (the models now are property of legoland.) in any case, if i get permission, or if they post it on their site at any point, i'll recognize it and link to it for everyone to see. ^^

so, the results: i get invited back tomorrow to participate in the big final build-off. if i can pass that, i will be offered a job. here's hoping and praying! and thanks again for all of your support! =D

Bearfoot_Adam
06-25-2009, 12:17 AM
Way to go Niji. Good luck tommorow

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 06:46 AM
I rolled 18 dice of which; 8 were 5's and 5 were 6's. With 13 successes, you're a shoe-in.

Good luck... I mean, congratulations!

:D

Carl

See, I never understood rolling multiple dice to get a percentage. I always thought the zocchi was a better solution, even at about $10 + s/h...

Also, niji, congrats. Sounds like quite a bit of fun, aside from the models you built being wholly owned by LEGOLAND.

Oldgamer
06-25-2009, 08:07 AM
That's awesome niji, I bid you congratulations as I KNOW you will get the offer ... I cast clairvoyance and have foreseen this :)

Dimthar
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM
so, the results: i get invited back tomorrow to participate in the big final build-off. if i can pass that, i will be offered a job. here's hoping and praying! and thanks again for all of your support! =D

Good Luck Tomorrow!!!

nijineko
06-26-2009, 02:31 AM
in the words of maxwell smart, "missed it by that much". my own personal analysis after the fact, and several hours of contemplation, is that i choked up a bit on the final build, and while i impressed with my creative build on the first contest day, i failed to match or exceed that impression with my final build. ^^ i am sad, but undaunted. armed with the knowledge of this experience, i will succeed the next time i have an opportunity.

cplmac
06-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey niji, sorry to see that you weren't chosen. Their loss. Then again, perhaps you were so good, that some people with higher positions were scared.

Bob the Dalek
06-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Too bad, man. It sounded like a dream gig.

nijineko
07-01-2009, 02:25 AM
there is still hope. around four of the current employees also did not pass the final round of their respective contest. but they got a call later when an opening came up. =D