PDA

View Full Version : Please P.E.A.C.H.

byd_racer
06-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey guys! I've been working on an imaginary wrestling game that combines a little bit of the character creation in roleplaying games with a hybrid of rules from mail in wrestling games.

I would really appreciate it if you could check it out and let me know what you think and throw in some suggestions or constructive critiscism. Please try to avoid the "tHiS SUX!!! reaction as much as you can ;).

This project is early in its development but I need help playtesting it and I figured where better to look for playtesters than here! Anyway thanks in advance to all your help.

Find it here:

http://xtremefwc.blogspot.com/

Or email me for more info at:
xfwc_commish@live.com

Thanks!

ronpyatt
07-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Adventures in downloading...
It took me a while to figure out where the rules for the game were, as the unlabeled tiny URL links were hard to find. Those links took me to an external site file hosting site "RapidShare" in order to download the rules. I quickly closed my browser thinking I needed to scan for viruses. Afterward, I realized it was intentional. My initial impression was that I was supposed to pay for the download but quickly saw the Free download button. I'm usually cautious about clicking any link that says "Free".

File format...
The files were in a Word 2007 format, not a file type I would normally download from the web and actually open. Luckily I had the right software for it, but not every user out there can. Just something to keep in mind.

Rules file...
I jumped right in and could not figure out what the rules were telling me. It read like unfinished notes. It looks like it might be fun, but I could not tell how anyone was able to actually play any of the roles. The initial question on determining a match never really seemed answered.

Character creation file...
The first page was a very cool character sheet. I didn't know exactly how to use it, but it was still very cool. Based on what I read, it looked as though you could have about a billion races and still have room for one more, and an unlimited number of maneuver tables.

I can't say if you are headed in the right direction because I could not find any clear instructions in the rules. It's not finished yet, but I like what you have so far in the character creation section. It also looks like you'll have fun putting this one together.

byd_racer
07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks so much for the constructive criticism! Very much appreciated.

Adventures in downloading LOL I know all about that. Rapidshare can be confusing but right now its the easiest way i can have people download files. I can also email the files as attachments but am still thinking of better solutions.

As for the file format I thought about using Open Office and I might make a separate download link for Open Office format documents. If I ever learn how to make PDF's I will make those available also.

As for the rules I will try to clarify them a little more. Basically you choose what type of wrestler you want to be (Brawler, High Flyer, Technician) by the way you allot your Ability Points. Put a lot of points in the brawler stat and your wrestler is a brawler. A wrestler with balanced stats would just be balanced.

As for determining a match its actually very simple. When you create a wrestler you determine his Maneuver Set. The Maneuver Set is a list of moves that you want your wrestler to have. Each Maneuver has a Point Value (between 1-12). In a match, you compare the Point Value of your first maneuver with the Point Value of your opponents Point Value and the greater number "wins" that round and the winner is awarded the difference in Match Points. This process is repeated until certain conditions are met to end the match (such as being Counted Out or Disqualified), losing four Maneuver rounds in a row, or all maneuvers are played.

It gets a little complicated after that though. The Maneuvers are all classified as either brawling, high flying, or technical. If you use a brawling maneuver the computer would add your Strength Modifier and Brawling Modifier to the Point Value of the move. So depending on your wrestler's attributes your moves might be worth more or less than the rated Point Value. So there is some strategy to think of.

Very much appreciate your compliment on the character sheet! Thanks so much for being honest and upfront and I definitely appreciate it.

cliff
07-13-2009, 02:23 PM
As for the file format I thought about using Open Office and I might make a separate download link for Open Office format documents. If I ever learn how to make PDF's I will make those available also.

If you grab Open Office, you can open your Word document with it, and then you can Export to PDF.

byd_racer
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
If you grab Open Office, you can open your Word document with it, and then you can Export to PDF.

Really? That's awesome! I got to try it out. One question: Will the PDF be compatible with Adobe Acrobat (the free version everybody has)?

cliff
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Really? That's awesome! I got to try it out. One question: Will the PDF be compatible with Adobe Acrobat (the free version everybody has)?

Yup, the actual PDF format is open, and the ones generated by Open Office are fully compatible. It is a nice, free solution for generating PDFs. I ended up just switching to Open Office specifically because I need to output PDFs.

Harwel
07-14-2009, 01:12 PM
MS Office can also save as PDF these days. However I don't recommend anyone actually spend money on MS Office since OpenOffice is so good, and so... free. :) There are also literally dozens of free pdf writers out there that install as a print driver. With one of these, any app that can print to a Windows printer can create a PDF. Just File > Print and select your PDF writer "printer".

cliff
07-15-2009, 02:27 AM
MS Office can also save as PDF these days. However I don't recommend anyone actually spend money on MS Office since OpenOffice is so good, and so... free. :) There are also literally dozens of free pdf writers out there that install as a print driver. With one of these, any app that can print to a Windows printer can create a PDF. Just File > Print and select your PDF writer "printer".

Indeed. I personally would just recommend making the jump to Open Office completely. Part of why I recommended it as a good interim solution, though, was primarily because it is so incredibly easy to jump into. Not that the PDF file printers are hard, but the workflow of using Open Office to do it is completely natural to someone already familiar with Word.

byd_racer
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it. I got to make sure I have the latest version of open office and I'll use it when I clarify my rules. Being able to make my documents into PDF's is awesome and will really help the presentation of my project so I definitely appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction.

Also, I hope you guys had a chance to check out the game a bit and I hope it left a positive impression.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh and if anybody knows a better file sharing site than rapidshare let me know

cliff
07-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I'll be honest with you, I'm not a huge wrestling fan... I was mostly offering technical advice. Best of luck with your development, though!