PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Superheroes Team

magic-rhyme
06-21-2009, 11:56 PM
If you had the chance to create a superhero team composed of any comic book superheroes you wanted, from any comic book superhero published by DC, Marvel, MLJ, Eclipse, Nedor, Fawcett, Fiction House, etc. from any time period, who would you choose?

I'm not talking about a Classic Justice League or Avengers or X-Men or Legion of Superheroes line-up (besides, there's already an awesome thread on the ideal Avengers line-up). I'm talking about the ultimate cross-over superteam.

I recommend choosing between five and ten superheroes. Fewer than five turns easily into a Brave & The Bold team-up book, while more than ten becomes difficult to handle in a monthly book (despite the great success of the Legion of Superheroes in some of its incarnations).

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I'd like to see Conan and Capt. America as a team. How's that for odd.

Note: Conan and Capt. America did fight once in one of those 'what if' comic books. Capt. America had his ass handed to him, but still, love to see those two as a team. One fights with a sword, the other, a shield.

If i had to add more, then Batman, for sure. I love the hero's that rely on skill and wits over any real super power. There are a few others that would fit into this category, but i am at a loss to recall their names. :confused:

magic-rhyme
06-22-2009, 01:15 AM
I'd like to see Conan and Capt. America as a team. How's that for odd.

That sounds awesome!

Especially if it's the thoughtful, brooding, highly intelligent barbarian of Howards' short stories and not the grunting, shallow action hero of the movies.

If i had to add more, then Batman, for sure. I love the hero's that rely on skill and wits over any real super power. There are a few others that would fit into this category, but i am at a loss to recall their names. :confused:

What about some of the Golden Age superheroes, like Will Eisner's The Spirit, MLJ's The Hangman, the original Daredevil from Lev Gleason's Publications, and Nedor's Miss Masque (a particular favorite of mine from the Golden Age)? Or you could use Eclipse's Bronze Age reinterpretation of The Black Terror as a clearly nonpowered crimefighter (as opposed to one who was superpowered one issue and nonpowered the next as he was in the late Golden Age).

If you don't mind archers, there's always Green Arrow from DC, Hawkeye from Marvel, and The Arrow from Centaur.

--- Merged from Double Post ---

I think right now I would choose:

The Shield from Golden Age MLJ ......................................(our patriot hero)
Miss Masque from Golden Age Nedor ................................(our detective hero)
Wonder Woman from Golden Age or Bronze Age DC .............(our myth hero)
Iron Man Tony Stark from Bronze Age Marvel .....................(our techno hero)
Fly-Girl from Silver Age MLJ ............................................(our paragon hero)
Green Lantern Hal Jordan from Bronze Age DC ..................(our TK/solid energy hero)
Storm from Bronze Age Marvel ........................................(our environment hero)
The Flash Barry Allen from Bronze Age DC ........................(our speedster hero)
The Ray from Golden Age DC ..........................................(our energy-wielding hero)

and a tie between
Doctor Fate from Golden Age DC and
The Green Lama from Golden Age Spark Comics
for .................................................. ..........................(our sorcerer hero)

Soft Serve
06-24-2009, 05:39 PM
I would go...

Galactus
Lex Luthor
Venom
Carnage
Sandman
Magneto
Nightcrawler
The Joker
The Goon
Captain Brittan
With the exception of Nightcrawler theres my all villain team.

I'm just a nightcrawler fan...

And I consider Captain Brittan evil.

Since piracy is wrong and he so jacked Captain America's thing.

kitsune1842
06-24-2009, 07:26 PM
Hmm,

Nightcrawler, I love the elf before the whole preist thing when he was a swashbuckler. (Just look at my Avatar)
Captain America, best leader ever.
Wiccan, I just love him too can't help it.
Hulkling, No use having Wiccan without his boyfriend.
Nocturn, I like legacy heroes, I can't help it.
Speed, Every team needs a snarky speedster.
Obsidian, no real reason, I just like him
The Ray, He and Obsidian are the only DC characters I really like that much.

Soft Serve
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
What about the Joker Kitsune?

I don't mean the Heath Ledger one. I mean he was cool, but I'm talking about the one that's just hilarious. Like the MK vs/ DC universe Joker cracks me up.

kitsune1842
06-26-2009, 10:40 PM
What about the Joker Kitsune?

I don't mean the Heath Ledger one. I mean he was cool, but I'm talking about the one that's just hilarious. Like the MK vs/ DC universe Joker cracks me up.

Ok, there is the Joker, but I was never a huge fan of him in the comics. The cartoon version though with Mark Hammil as the voice actor, was great.

Soft Serve
06-28-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok, there is the Joker, but I was never a huge fan of him in the comics. The cartoon version though with Mark Hammil as the voice actor, was great.

that was Mark Hammil? Awesome.

I know he's in Metalocalypse as Mr. Selatcia (the big main evil looking fellow.)

And he was in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as Cock-knocker.

Lucian-Sunaka
06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
What the heck, I'll give my go at this. My crew's designed to get in, accomplish the mission, and get out, so fast nobody even has to know what happened. A little muscle, a little stealth, a little magic, and alot of "What heck was that blurr" And yes, I do have an evil in there.

Superman
The Flash
QuickSilver (Xmen, not sure if he was actually in any comics but he was in one cartoon)
Raven (What, she's awesome lol)
Nightcrawler

If anybody's got any suggestions on my theme, I'd love to edit this to include them if I agree.

magic-rhyme
07-01-2009, 01:06 PM
QuickSilver (Xmen, not sure if he was actually in any comics but he was in one cartoon)

Not only has Quicksilver been in the comics for decades, he has been a member of the Avengers, married into the royal family of the Inhumans, and has learned that he and his sister Wanda are Magneto's children.

The cartoon QuickSilver pales to nothing in comparison with the comic book Quicksilver.

Lucian-Sunaka
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info. (Though the cartoon did at least reveal the Scarlet Witch, aka Wanda and Quicksilver's parentage.) And yeah, maybe Wanda would be a better swap in for Raven, but meh, I've got a think for the dark types lmao.

Soft Serve
07-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I liked Teen Titans Robin, but it made me mad Batman never made an appearance in that show.

LAST CRUSADER
07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
CAPTAIN AMERICA
there is no excuse for any team not including him. The FANTASTIC 4 suck eggs because Cap isn't one of them, even the JUSTICE LEAGUE is no good because Cap isn't a member.
SUPERMAN
the second best hero ever made
SPIDER-MAN
I just like him
NIGHTCRAWLER
every team must have a German hero, it's in the constitution. I saw it once
SIR GALAHAD
because KING ARTHUR is too buisy and SIR LANCELOT is a total jerk
THOR
because he's THOR
WONDER WOMAN
the best female super hero ever
INVISIBLE WOMAN
so someone on the team will have some powes that are different
AQUAMAN
same reason as Susan but also because PRINCE NAMOR is a %@^&!!!
(hey someone has to do monitor duty)

I guess that's enough members but i wish there was room for BATMAN, SUPERGIRL, and DAREDEVIL. I also wish there were more female super heroes worth including but there aren't. (death to jean grey!!!!)

Soft Serve
07-11-2009, 07:56 PM
CAPTAIN AMERICA
there is no excuse for any team not including him. The FANTASTIC 4 suck eggs because Cap isn't one of them, even the JUSTICE LEAGUE is no good because Cap isn't a member.
SUPERMAN
the second best hero ever made
SPIDER-MAN
I just like him
NIGHTCRAWLER
every team must have a German hero, it's in the constitution. I saw it once
SIR GALAHAD
because KING ARTHUR is too buisy and SIR LANCELOT is a total jerk
THOR
because he's THOR
WONDER WOMAN
the best female super hero ever
INVISIBLE WOMAN
so someone on the team will have some powes that are different
AQUAMAN
same reason as Susan but also because PRINCE NAMOR is a %@^&!!!
(hey someone has to do monitor duty)

I guess that's enough members but i wish there was room for BATMAN, SUPERGIRL, and DAREDEVIL. I also wish there were more female super heroes worth including but there aren't. (death to jean grey!!!!)

Namor is an @$$.

I'd like to see Daredevil vs. Ghost Rider.

Vodka
08-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Can I just team Planetary and BPRD up together? It would be a delightful foray featuring myths, magic, monsters, and Nazi-punching.

Soft Serve
08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Can I just team Planetary and BPRD up together? It would be a delightful foray featuring myths, magic, monsters, and Nazi-punching.

Of course! Who doesn't want to punch a nazi?

TheOneBigOne
08-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Ok after much deliberation here is the SUPER superhero team.

Main tanks:

Rogue: I don’t care what super power you have, if she can get her hands on you, (it’s a good bet she will) all the powers in the world don’t matter she gets all your powers and you don’t have any. She fly’s, she has all the powers of Miss Marvel, and she can regenerate like wolverine. (Captain America wouldn’t stand a chance against her fellas sorry to disappoint.)

Superman: mostly just there to distract whatever it is the team is fighting so Rogue can get her hands on it.

Hulk: just piss him off and send him in. It really does not matter which version of the hulk you use(if he fails he is fuel for Rogue)
Leadership and Intel roles would be filled by:

Jean Grey: She controls all matter, and can wipe/control/read minds. Super intel.

Sebastian Shaw: Super genius and he is invincible to kinetic energy and energy attacks. Have the hulk beat on him to increase his power and he can double as a tank. He is also super rich and can fund the team.

Doctor Jon Osterman: What do I need to say about him? He is also invincible, super intelligent, oh and he is a walking nuke. Plus he can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants. His powers are limitless.

Optimus Prime: BEST leader hands down. Nuff said.

Major Motoko Kusanagi: She IS the ultimate hacker. If the team needs data of any kind she is your go to gal/ai.

Deadpool: If you need something done covertly send in the pool. He regenerates, he teleports, he uses guns and swords, he comes back from the dead, he can see the future, he is immune to psychokinesis (mind control), he can slow time, and he once produced a shoulder launched missile from inside a form-fitting latex suit. Oh yea and he is the ONLY comic book character that knows he is one and regularly talks about thinking in little yellow boxes and talking in white bubbles.

So, try to make a team that would stand a chance against this team.

P.S. for those of you that like batman here is something to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeT1t0lQn5Q

Why Deadpool is better than Captain America:http://www.found.org.uk/resource/hhfh/deadpool.jpg

Soft Serve
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Ok after much deliberation here is the SUPER superhero team.

Main tanks:

Rogue: I donít care what super power you have, if she can get her hands on you, (itís a good bet she will) all the powers in the world donít matter she gets all your powers and you donít have any. She flyís, she has all the powers of Miss Marvel, and she can regenerate like wolverine. (Captain America wouldnít stand a chance against her fellas sorry to disappoint.)

Superman: mostly just there to distract whatever it is the team is fighting so Rogue can get her hands on it.

Hulk: just piss him off and send him in. It really does not matter which version of the hulk you use(if he fails he is fuel for Rogue)
Leadership and Intel roles would be filled by:

Jean Grey: She controls all matter, and can wipe/control/read minds. Super intel.

Sebastian Shaw: Super genius and he is invincible to kinetic energy and energy attacks. Have the hulk beat on him to increase his power and he can double as a tank. He is also super rich and can fund the team.

Doctor Jon Osterman: What do I need to say about him? He is also invincible, super intelligent, oh and he is a walking nuke. Plus he can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants. His powers are limitless.

Optimus Prime: BEST leader hands down. Nuff said.

Major Motoko Kusanagi: She IS the ultimate hacker. If the team needs data of any kind she is your go to gal/ai.

Deadpool: If you need something done covertly send in the pool. He regenerates, he teleports, he uses guns and swords, he comes back from the dead, he can see the future, he is immune to psychokinesis (mind control), he can slow time, and he once produced a shoulder launched missile from inside a form-fitting latex suit. Oh yea and he is the ONLY comic book character that knows he is one and regularly talks about thinking in little yellow boxes and talking in white bubbles.

So, try to make a team that would stand a chance against this team.

...Deadpool. ROFL.

TheOneBigOne
08-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Your response time is: 0.024 seconds
You have the reflexes of a snake

guardian1968
10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I think my dream team would consist of:

1) Megalith
2) E-Man
3) Doc Savage
4) Spawn
5) Ms. Mystic
6) Captain Victory
7) Lockjaw

I know this team would hardly be as stellar as some of the teams we've seen in comics, or as powerful as has been suggested on this thread...but I think this team utilizes characters who were decent ideas in the first place and to bring them together would be fun to watch. Their powers certainly compliment one another and offer a range of settings they could go from Hell to deep space and beyond.

Insofar as raw power goes, the potential of stories the characters could provide the overall epics that could be told with this group I think is just as important as how much damage they can do in one issue.

Soft Serve
10-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Your response time is: 0.024 seconds
You have the reflexes of a snake

...cheater?

magic-rhyme
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM

That. Was. AWESOME!

I think my dream team would consist of:

1) Megalith
2) E-Man
3) Doc Savage
4) Spawn
5) Ms. Mystic
6) Captain Victory
7) Lockjaw

I love it when people remember the potential of some of the older characters that never received decent play.

I didn't think anyone remembered Ms. Mystic (two issues total, was it?) or Captain Victory. Juxtaposing someone as goofy as E-Man with someone as brooding as Spawn is a notion that could either win roses or lose beyond all world records for losing.

Doc Savage is a good scientist/strategist choice. I've often thought that Doc Savage could either defeat the crazy-prepared Batman -- or turn out to be his maternal grandfather.

I don't remember much about Megalith. I'd wonder whether his powers were too similar to those of Captain Victory, but again, it may simply be my lack of memory about Megalith.

guardian1968
11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I love it when people remember the potential of some of the older characters that never received decent play.

I didn't think anyone remembered Ms. Mystic (two issues total, was it?) or Captain Victory. Juxtaposing someone as goofy as E-Man with someone as brooding as Spawn is a notion that could either win roses or lose beyond all world records for losing.

Doc Savage is a good scientist/strategist choice. I've often thought that Doc Savage could either defeat the crazy-prepared Batman -- or turn out to be his maternal grandfather.

I don't remember much about Megalith. I'd wonder whether his powers were too similar to those of Captain Victory, but again, it may simply be my lack of memory about Megalith.

Ms. Mystic had two official issues while she had guest appearances elsewhere over the years. I always thought she STILL would make a wonderful addition to any comic book universe...if only. She was the FIRST ecologically conscious superhero, too. A techno-Earth-Mother of sorts that should have gone on to more and better pastures than the Limbo she now finds herself in.

Captain Victory is made cooler when you realize that this was Kirby's first attempt to provide an ending for the new Gods. Victory was heavily hinted at being Orion's son and that Darkseid had somehow survived his final encounter with Orion to become disembodied evil. While there are those who criticize Captain Victory's run, Pacific Comics did usher in the better quality of comics we now enjoy with their publication of such titles as Captain Victory and Ms. Mystic (not to mention Kirby's wonderous Silver Star). Captain Victory's later forays into comics crumbled his street cred, but I think if the right writer took over we could be given something worth the legacy he offers, an alternate universe with the New Gods and their future. I'm ALWAYS up for honoring the legacy of the King in any way possible.

E-Man with Spawn could have its strengths in the development of the two characters' friendship, the meeting of two extremes. It could be like Plastic Man siding with Batman. E-Man can, I feel, overcome his firmly tongue-in-cheek stories...but I think it could be done (couldn't be any worse than the serious to the tongue-in-cheek journey that the Blue Beetle took when he joined the DCU). It certainly would be fun to read. A light-hearted character for a world gone too dark. That's what E-Man could be without him going over the top.

Doc Savage I feel has always had his thunder stolen by DC. Batman basically being modeled on his scientific prowess, Superman's Fortress of Solitude...Doc Savage should have been Batman's MENTOR. With Doc being in tip-top shape, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to think Doc would also possess some sort of longevity in addition to everything else he had right with his body. Doc, with or without the Fab Five, makes any appearance he makes worth the effort. Not only that, But I think his counterpart Doc Brass furthers my point of his being a character worth resurrecting since he can kick butt.

Megalith's power was over Mind-Body-Spirit. Some New Age explanation of his belief manifesting physically. It was infinitely more believable than what turned out with Captain Paragon with Bill Black. Basically the same idea, but Megalith did it better. I also love Neal Adams and his artwork. It made an impression on just what could have been done with him. He was a street-level kind of Brick character...and we need more of those, rather than the "lift a planet / toss a building" types. He was also a former Olympic athlete, so he had a believable background leading up to his becoming a superhero (moreso, I think, than a lot of his peers who went on to more in comics).

Thanks for appreciating my Old School / Lost School team. Each character brings with them a myriad of stories that could be told, too. To dovetail the possibilities that exist with these guys would be pure gold to read in the comics. But alas...some chances the big guys view as too much of a risk instead of completely changing everything about their universe the readers had come to love and adore (like THAT isn't a risk in and of itself)!!!

magic-rhyme
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Ms. Mystic had two official issues while she had guest appearances elsewhere over the years.

Huhn. I hadn't known that.

Captain Victory is made cooler when you realize that this was Kirby's first attempt to provide an ending for the new Gods. Victory was heavily hinted at being Orion's son and that Darkseid had somehow survived his final encounter with Orion to become disembodied evil.

Wow. Now I wish I still had access to the old Captain Victory comics!

I'm ALWAYS up for honoring the legacy of the King in any way possible.

Apparently everyone is -- except Marvel's payroll department while Kirby lived. :(

A light-hearted character for a world gone too dark. That's what E-Man could be without him going over the top.

Interestingly enough, that's how Supes is often depicted when he visits The Batman in Gotham City.

Doc Savage I feel has always had his thunder stolen by DC.

I'm not so sure about that. Early Golden Age Superman often seems a hybrid of Doc Savage (man of bronze --> man of steel) and Hugo Danner the Gladiator, but Bats seems to take from ALL the old pulp heroes: he has aspects of Doc Savage maybe, but more so of The Shadow, The Avenger, and even The Bat -- not too mention Zorro!

He was a street-level kind of Brick character...and we need more of those, rather than the "lift a planet / toss a building" types.

I remember him! He hasn't received the retro-gravitas of characters such as The Shield, The Fly, the Black Terror, or the Green Lama.

Thanks for appreciating my Old School / Lost School team. Each character brings with them a myriad of stories that could be told, too.

You should check to see whether any of them are public domain. After all, Project: Superpowers is based entirely upon the notion of utilizing public domain superheroes!

Dytrrnikl
11-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Superman - Because all teams should have Superman. I'm not talking the cheesed down version that exists today, I'm talking the late 80s early 90s version that was capable of moving the Moon!
Flash - Only hero to beat Superman in a Foot race.
The Phoenix (Post Dark Phoenix) - Throw out that Jean Grey is hot (Famke Jansen was perfect), it's a little hard to argue against not having her on board.
Wonder Woman - Has a lot of potential.
Daredevil - The closest I come to seeing an acceptable vigilante type hero
Wolverine - Liked how he was brought to life in the movies
The Entire Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Team - Not the dumbass archie comcis version presented on the big screen, the original Eastman and Laird renditions

guardian1968
11-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Huhn. I hadn't known that.

I'm not so sure about that. Early Golden Age Superman often seems a hybrid of Doc Savage (man of bronze --> man of steel) and Hugo Danner the Gladiator, but Bats seems to take from ALL the old pulp heroes: he has aspects of Doc Savage maybe, but more so of The Shadow, The Avenger, and even The Bat -- not too mention Zorro!

That may be, but the general public will always think "Superman" when you mention the Fortress of Solitude (despite the fact that Doc's Fortress always made more sense to me) and that they know nothing of the Pulps and how much darker they were than Batman would ever allow himself to be.

Thanks to George Pal they will think "cheesy", too when thinking about Doc.

I just wish we could get the younger folk more educated about this kind of literature before they became funny papers.

Superman - Because all teams should have Superman. I'm not talking the cheesed down version that exists today, I'm talking the late 80s early 90s version that was capable of moving the Moon!

My only problem with this version is that any other characters tend to become superfluous when you include this version in a team. Personally, I prefer Supes in his original form. Invulnerable, able to leap (yada, yada, yada) and fairly approachable as a character than "do anything man" that we had prior to DC's constant clean-up of the DCU with various Crises.

That said...

I like the rest of your team, particularly the inclusion of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! :)