PDA

View Full Version : Vaults of Silence: Character Creation Discussion

Tamerath
06-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Talking to Arkhemedes I was just wanting to do a formal head count on who's going to be in the group / interested in playing the Ravenloft PBP we're hosting here in Gardens of Stone. Also anything that we can do to help each other out (tactics, group composition, etc.)

So Here's my part:

Hello, Tamerath Here, formally annoucing his interest :) hehehe

What I'm Interested in playing: I'll be an Eladrin (or Moon Elf if 3.5 or 2nd) Ranger

So what's everyone else thinking so far?

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, if it's just Tamerath, Thoth and me for players I figure we need a warrior, a mage and a cleric for the group. Baron did not mention wizard in his list of classes. So unless that's an oversight I guess either Thoth or I will need to play a sorcerer. I'm fine with either one. I've suggested cleric for me because I have all the info on Ezra and the Morninglord. Not sure what Thoth has though. But I can go either way. I sure would not be disappointed playing an arcane spellcaster as wizards have always been my favorite. But again I stress it's got to be 2e or 3.5 if I'm to get involved.

Baron_Samedi
06-21-2009, 09:30 PM
For simplicity's sake it will be 3.x, and sorceror is mentioned as a class in Barovia, but wizard is not...there was no oversight...you should know that i don't make oversights when it comes to Ravenloft...:biggrin:

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Okay, got an update from Thoth. Looks like he'll be doing the sorcerer. So I'll be looking at running the cleric.

Tamerath
06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Okay, got an update from Thoth. Looks like he'll be doing the sorcerer. So I'll be looking at running the cleric.

Awesome, I'll be the Fighter Then

Baron_Samedi
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm going to need your character concepts before the end of the week, race, background...how you became interested in the class that you are...all the good stuff...don't forget how you came to barovia...if you have any questions on the stuff i'm looking for, consult the character creation threads i've posted here...

Arkhemedes
06-22-2009, 02:09 AM
Don't know if you got my message in a bottle, Thoth. But its all right here in the Gardens.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

For simplicity's sake it will be 3.x, and sorceror is mentioned as a class in Barovia, but wizard is not...there was no oversight...you should know that i don't make oversights when it comes to Ravenloft...:biggrin:
Actually Baron, the Gazetteer says wizards are rare but they are not unheard of in Barovia. No oversights, huh?

Baron_Samedi
06-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Alrighty Ark...(gloves come off, knuckles cracked...)

You are right, wizards are rare...HOWEVER...since Strahd has kept a majority of the country illiterate, it is unlikely that an educated arcanist is going to be native to Barovia...An experienced wizard would be quite unwelcome in his realm, and draw attention. However if a stray wizard wanders into town...who knows?
Alright...here's the scoop for Character Creation...

Follow the guidelines for character creation as listed in the PHB 3.x. Technically all races listed are acceptable, in addition to the races described in the Ravenloft Campaign Setting book...however, i've stated since we're in Barovia i would recommend Human, elf, half-elf, halfling, dwarf or half-vistani...

if you want to use feats not used in the PHB or RCS, let me know where you found the information...

As for equipment, use the gold issued at the time of creation for your class, and add a one time bonus of 25 GP.

Any other questions, let me know...
Another thing...all characters need to be submitted as soon as possible...I'll be starting the game on July 1st...i'll start off with one character at first and incorporate others as needed...less of a headache and lets everyone get used to it before jumping in...i'll let everyone know when there up to bat...

any questions, you know what to do...

Arkhemedes
06-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Once again, great job on all the rules Baron. Looks like you have the bases cover pretty good. I won't be able to work on my character much until Wednesday, but you should be getting something from me soon after that, perhaps even that night.

Tamerath
06-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Baron, how would you prefer we roll up ability scores? Or are you doing the point buy method?

Baron_Samedi
06-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Baron, how would you prefer we roll up ability scores? Or are you doing the point buy method?

Excellent question, despite the preparations, i always seem to miss something...

Let's go ahead and use the following array:

16 14 13 12 11 10

I've used this for some time and have had excellent success with it.

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Another question for you Baron. I'm currently coming up with ideas for my character's background. My question is: Do you have a starting date for this campaign? I tend to put a few dates in my backgrounds such as birth dates and it would be helpful to have a starting date though not necessary.

Also, another important date no matter where you are in the Core is the Grand Conjunction. In my Ravenloft campaign the Grand Conjunction took place on the 31st of October, 740 BC and lasted for about four days until it was reversed. I'm sure your version of Ravenloft is different though. Can you give me any dates on this?

Baron_Samedi
06-24-2009, 06:31 PM
No problem, Ark...

I've decided that the campaign is going to start in the second week of November in 757...the winter weather in Barovia is starting to turn bad...cold temperatures made worse by winds coming off of the Balinok mountains...some of the mountain passes are beginning to ice up...Higher elevations are starting to accumulate snow and ice...Teufeldorf is going to be our starting location, or at least in that general area.

Any other questions, let me know...

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Do we need to be natives of Barovia? I'm assuming that our backgrounds should explain how or why we got to Teufeldorf if we're not already natives of the city, right? I'm going with a cleric of Ezra, btw...I think.

Baron_Samedi
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
If you want to be natives, that's fine, but outsiders are alright as well. Just make sure your class and race are acceptable from your nation of origin. Example: Mordent doesn't have barbarians, G'Henna doesn't have clerics...Markovia doesn't have humans...

And yes, be sure to include why you came to Barovia...I might need to tweak your characters abit to fit seamlessly into the adventure, but it i'll talk it over with the players if that is necessary and make sure its within the parameters of your characteristics...it is the player's character after all...

Baron_Samedi
06-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll be posting a prologue statement giving the background of the location and the goings-on of the situation so that you can acurately gauge your characters involvement...i should have it up sometime tomorrow or saturday...

Tamerath
06-26-2009, 04:56 AM
I'll be able to finish my fighter character off Friday or Saturday Baron then I'll try to send it your way for your okay.

Baron_Samedi
06-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Sounds good, can't wait to take a look...
I'm putting the prologue of Vaults of Silence in the thread proper for the sake of continuity...if you have any questions at all please let me know...i'm also extending the deadline for characters a bit...we'll be starting july 5th so that everyone can get there party on, before we start things off...

Arkhemedes
06-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Okay here are the stats for my character. This is actually the first time I've made a 3.x character on my own, so if you find anything wrong let me know.

Ravenloft has claimed its next victim.