PDA

View Full Version : Great Sayings from Earths History, share your favorites...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Great Sayings from Earths History, share your favorites, and impress the rest of us... and be sure to list the author, if known.

Here is mine:

"Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" --William Shakespeare

What share the rest of you?

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 12:39 PM
"Take the cause out of the man, there is no cause for the man."

"I think, therefore I am"

Malruhn
06-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Veni, vidi, vici.

and of course:

Veni, vidi, bologna nomnom (I came, I saw, I had bologna sandwiches)

Genesplicer
06-21-2009, 07:39 PM
"Don't worry, the enemy can't possibly hit us at this ran-"

From what I understand, this is an actual quote from an American officer in WW II when the Germans kicked off the Battle of the Bulge with an artilary baage on the poor fools position.

Sascha
06-22-2009, 12:13 PM
"I am but too conscious of the fact that we are born in an age when only the dull are treated seriously, and I live in terror of not being misunderstood."
- Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

"I tweet, therefore my entire life has shrunk to 140 character chunks of instant event and predigested gnomic wisdom. And swearing."
- Neil Gaiman, via Twitter

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."
- Douglas Adams, speech at Digital Biota 2

Oldgamer
06-22-2009, 01:37 PM
When an Army captain asked him for the direction of the line of retreat,
Col Puller called his Tank Commander, gave them the Army position, and ordered:
"If they start to pull back from that line, even one foot, I want you to open fire on them."
Turning to the captain, he replied "Does that answer your question?
We're here to fight." At Koto-ri in Korea
- Chesty Puller at Koto-ri in Korea

"They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an
enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can't get away from us now!"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Arkhemedes
06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." - Bert Lance

RoryN
06-22-2009, 02:46 PM
"And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."-John F. Kennedy

“Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.”-John Wayne

traesin
06-23-2009, 05:14 AM
oh what a web we weave when we practice to decieve....Sir Walter Scott

Lady Nancy Aster: Winston if you were my wife I'd put poison in your tea

Churchill: Nancy if you were my wife I'd drink it.

Genesplicer
06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
"The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here..." - Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address Thursday, November 19, 1863.

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I always liked

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move,"

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened,"

"Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws," and finally,

"Anyone capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job,"
all from Douglas Adams' 5 book trilogy The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Arkhemedes
06-23-2009, 03:38 PM
"Don't take the blue acid."

and

"We must be in heaven, man!"

- famous lines from Woodstock

Harwel
06-23-2009, 03:39 PM
"Light travels faster than sound, so people often appear bright until you hear them speak."

And of course Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!" - General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

"Don't take the blue acid."

It was the brown acid. It was a bummer, man.

Arkhemedes
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
"Light travels faster than sound, so people often appear bright until you hear them speak."

And of course Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!" - General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

It was the brown acid. It was a bummer, man.
Blue acid, brown acid - what can I say man? Lost a few braincells, you know?

Harwel
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM

I can only remember the quote because I wasn't there. :lol:

Arkhemedes
06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I can only remember the quote because I wasn't there. :lol:
Yeah, come to think of it - neither was I!

emblasochist
06-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!" - General Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord.

I like the Hanlon's Razor because I recently did not get hired to do a job I've been doing contractually for the past 6 months working for the local school district and I know that the only reason they gave the job to someone else was the other person had seniority within the system over me, despite all three interviewers saying that they said I interveiwed best for the job and had the most experience, and I'd rather believe that people are stupid rather than have evil intent.

The 4 people one is overall funny. It can be applied to any situation.

Webhead
06-23-2009, 09:45 PM

"I hope I didn't brain my damage." --Homer Simpson

-----

“The argument goes something like this: ‘I refuse to prove that I exist,’ says God, ‘for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.’
“‘But,’ says Man, ‘The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.’
“‘Oh dear,’ says God, ‘I hadn’t thought of that,’ and promptly vanished in a puff of logic." --Douglas Adams

-----

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know." --Socrates

-----

"If you always do what you've always did, you'll always get what you've always got." --Anonymous

-----

"Oh, I knew that...AND I knew you'd know I'd know you knew!" --Greg Kinnear

Sascha
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM
“The argument goes something like this: ‘I refuse to prove that I exist,’ says God, ‘for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.’
“‘But,’ says Man, ‘The Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.’
“‘Oh dear,’ says God, ‘I hadn’t thought of that,’ and promptly vanished in a puff of logic." --Douglas Adams
"Man then goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed at the next zebra crossing."

Or hows about:

Dr. Ian Malcolm (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000156/): God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
Dr. Ellie Sattler (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000368/): Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...

Webhead
06-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Or hows about:

Dr. Ian Malcolm (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000156/): God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs...
Dr. Ellie Sattler (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000368/): Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the earth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TthHltjrvA

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Sascha
06-23-2009, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TthHltjrvA

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
(I know I shouldn't, but ... this picture (http://i27.tinypic.com/2h6yet5.jpg).)

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 07:42 AM
(I know I shouldn't, but ... this picture (http://i27.tinypic.com/2h6yet5.jpg).)

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Sascha, the picture is absolutely hysterical. Sure makes me wish people would crack open a book every now and then other than a bible. But then again, I don't recall anything in the bible that mentions dinosaurs.

Oldgamer
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
Sascha, the picture is absolutely hysterical. Sure makes me wish people would crack open a book every now and then other than a bible. But then again, I don't recall anything in the bible that mentions dinosaurs.

That's because nothing existed more than a few millenia ago, *poof* Humans appeared ... those giant bones that are found that are scientifically proven to be millions of years old do not exist. The archeologists made them up? :confused:

Sascha
06-24-2009, 12:39 PM

That's because nothing existed more than a few millenia ago, *poof* Humans appeared ... those giant bones that are found that are scientifically proven to be millions of years old do not exist. The archeologists made them up? :confused:
Actually, if I understand their position, they were mentioned in the Bible: "So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves..." (Gen. 1:21), "And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds..." (Gen. 1:25). Then, poor beasties, got swallowed by the deluge: "For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breadth of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die." (Gen. 6:17). That science dates bones beyond the known age of the world, according to the thought, is something of proof for their side - if you accept the premise that God is all-powerful, there's somewhat little room to argue against it.

Except maybe, perhaps this:

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them."
- Galileo Galilei, 'Letter to Christina of Tuscany'

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Actually, if I understand their position, they were mentioned in the Bible: "So God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves..." (Gen. 1:21), "And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds..." (Gen. 1:25). Then, poor beasties, got swallowed by the deluge: "For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh in which is the breadth of life from under heaven; everything that is on the earth shall die." (Gen. 6:17). That science dates bones beyond the known age of the world, according to the thought, is something of proof for their side - if you accept the premise that God is all-powerful, there's somewhat little room to argue against it.

Except maybe, perhaps this:

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them."
- Galileo Galilei, 'Letter to Christina of Tuscany'
Yeah, if you interpret "sea monsters" as dinosaurs I suppose you could say they were mentioned in the bible. I personally believe, however, that this reference and much of what is said in Genesis is taken from much older mythologies - for example the Ogdoad of one version of the Egyptian creation mythology, the eight sea serpents that swam in the waters of chaos before time began, which have nothing to do with dinosaurs. A close examination of Genesis reveals quite a few obscure references to many older myths of several ancient civilizations. Believe me I could go on and on.

Then there is the obvious contradiction of Jesus riding a dinosaur. Even the bible says these poor beasties were swallowed up by the deluge long before Jesus came along.

But here, I will stop because I do believe we have wondered way off track (sorry about that Thoth), and the last thing I want to do is get into a debate about religion. So if we could get back to topic.

Sascha
06-24-2009, 02:16 PM
But here, I will stop because I do believe we have wondered way off track (sorry about that Thoth), and the last thing I want to do is get into a debate about religion. So if we could get back to topic.
"Argument is to me the air I breathe. Given any proposition, I cannot help believing the other side and defending it."
- Gertrude Stein

(:D)

Arkhemedes
06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
"Argument is to me the air I breathe. Given any proposition, I cannot help believing the other side and defending it."
- Gertrude Stein

Excellent quote Sascha! You gave a good reply AND got us back on track!

(Oops, now we're back off track again - sorry.)

Sascha
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Sadly, there is nowhere near sufficient Samuel Langhorne Clemens in this thread :\

"Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
- Draft manuscript, ~1881

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our hardnesses yield, all our irritations and resentments flit away and a sunny spirit takes their place."
- What Paul Bourget Thinks of Us (1899)

"I was sorry to have my name mentioned as one of the great authors, because they have a sad habit of dying off. Chaucer is dead, Spencer is dead, so is Milton, so is Shakespeare, and I’m not feeling so well myself."
- History of the Savage Club (1899)
--- Merged from Double Post ---
And Ed Murrow, too, now that I think about it.

"If we confuse dissent with disloyalty — if we deny the right of the individual to be wrong, unpopular, eccentric or unorthodox — if we deny the essence of racial equality then hundreds of millions in Asia and Africa who are shopping about for a new allegiance will conclude that we are concerned to defend a myth and our present privileged status. Every act that denies or limits the freedom of the individual in this country costs us the ... confidence of men and women who aspire to that freedom and independence of which we speak and for which our ancestors fought."
- Ford Fiftieth Anniversary Show
"Except for those who think in terms of pious platitudes or dogma or narrow prejudice (and those thoughts we aren’t interested in), people don’t speak their beliefs easily, or publicly."
- This I Believe

"If none of us ever read a book that was "dangerous," had a friend who was "different," or joined an organization that advocated "change," we would all be just the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants."
- speech to his staff, prior to See It Now's McCarthy broadcast; 9 March, 1954

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended from fearful men — not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."
- See It Now; 9 March, 1954

And, well, this whole speech (http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/commentary/hiddenagenda/murrow.html).

(I don't have a massive crush on Ed Murrow ... not me, nevar :P)

PlattevilleGamer
06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
"Six is a number perfect in itself, and not because God created the world in six days; rather the contrary is true. God created the world in six days because this number is perfect, and it would remain perfect, even if the work of the six days did not exist." St. Augustine

"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell." St. Augustine

As a Christian and a mathematician I don't know how I feel about that last quote...but I know many many people who feel that math is the devils work and to do it is to make a pact with him...lol.

emblasochist
06-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Makes you wonder where some people get the stuff they come up with... I wouldn't say that I'm a devout Catholic, but I would probably be being a bit dishonest if I said I weren't in practice a christian man, and math has always been my strong-suit. If math is evil, then logic is evil as well as the spoken or written word because they all are used to, if you believe in God, understand his creation, the universe. I won't bother bringing up sciences because a fair number of people refuse to believe that sciences and religion can be united.

PlattevilleGamer
06-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I know it made me wonder the same thing. The last one did make me laugh a little though just because I have many friends who would agree...they absolutely hate math. Funny how the crowd I hang out with hates what I will eventually do for a living.

stonebreaker
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.-churchill.
and
Stupidity should be painful.
Stonebreaker

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Police Officer: Do you know who this is?
Cheech: Naw man, who is this is?

-Up In Smoke

Oldgamer
06-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Police Officer: Do you know who this is?
Cheech: Naw man, who is this is?

-Up In Smoke

"Dave? Dave's not here man!"

:biggrin:

Webhead
06-25-2009, 09:38 PM
"We can further analyze the origin and significance of the word 'Politics' by breaking it down into its two root-words: Poly - meaning 'many', and Ticks - meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'."

--Unknown

Sascha
06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
"We can further analyze the origin and significance of the word 'Politics' by breaking it down into its two root-words: Poly - meaning 'many', and Ticks - meaning 'blood-sucking parasites'."

--Unknown
"If 'pro' is the opposite of 'con,' is 'progress' the opposite of 'Congress?'"
- Gallagher

Arkhemedes
06-25-2009, 09:45 PM
"Why is it you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?"

"Why is it a shipment goes in a car and a cargo goes in a ship?"

- Gallagher

Webhead
06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

--Albert Einstein

Sascha
06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

"If I understood mathematics I would be able to count how many beers I have had and whether I should drive or not."
- Charles Barkley

"I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of whatever’s going on."
- Jon Stewart, Philadelphia Inquirer interview (http://www.nofactzone.net/?p=1384)

Arkhemedes
06-26-2009, 08:31 PM
All warfare is based on deception.

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Sascha
06-26-2009, 08:41 PM
"As long as war is regarded as wicked, it will always have its fascination. When it is looked upon as vulgar, it will cease to be popular."
- Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist

Panthro82
06-27-2009, 03:25 AM
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" -FDR

mrken
06-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I think Lenin and Stalin were really very nice guys down under their tough exteriors. I mean they told us everything, just like Hitler told us everything in Mien Kamph. The German people as a whole didn't listen, neither are we.

The press is our chief ideological weapon.
Nikita Khrushchev (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/n/nikitakhru115037.html)

The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses.
Vladimir Lenin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vladimirle180598.html)

Mankind is divided into rich and poor, into property owners and exploited; and to abstract oneself from this fundamental division; and from the antagonism between poor and rich means abstracting oneself from fundamental facts.
Joseph Stalin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/josephstal155811.html)

The best way to destroy the capitalist system is to debauch the currency.
Vladimir Lenin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vladimirle384251.html)

The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation.
Vladimir Lenin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vladimirle125951.html)

Our program necessarily includes the propaganda of atheism.
Vladimir Lenin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vladimirle180597.html)

One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
Vladimir Lenin (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/v/vladimirle136307.html)

Sascha
06-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The Dude (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000313/): It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...
Donny (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/): I am the walrus.
The Dude (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000313/): You know what I'm trying to say...
Donny (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000114/): I am the walrus.
The Big Lebowski

Calvin: I was reading about how countless species are being pushed toward extinction by man's destruction of forests. Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"

Panthro82
06-27-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm glad someone else loves the Big Lebowski as much as I do :)