PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your gaming room

Freejack
06-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Now that we've moved into a new place, I can really expand and personalize my game room. I've had different places over the years and had to fit my stuff in as best as possible. I have the books organized; books are in order by system but the systems aren't in order.

I also am a computer geek so the computer books are in order alphabetically by subject.

I still need to do some personalization but I thought I'd get pics of the current setup.

Top two shelves are computer books. Third shelf is boxed stuff; war games, board games, and boxed RPG stuff. Fourth shelf are the game books.

Shadowrun on the left for about 3/4's of the shelf. The next red books are CthulhuTech, Deadlands, Spytech, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, and Call of Cthulhu (1920's) on the end. The next shelf over is Paranoia, D&D and AD&Dr1, then some misc stuff and AD&Dr2, MegaTraveller, Car Wars, and finally Star Fleet Battles.

The bottom shelf on the left are some misc stuff plus all of Arkham Horror and all of the Wings of War sets (but not all the miniatures :) ). The right shelf has misc parlor type games.

http://shadowrun.us/20090619/dscn1024x800.jpg
http://shadowrun.us/20090619/dscn1023x800.jpg
http://shadowrun.us/20090619/dscn1022x800.jpg

All the pics of the rest of the room is http://www.shadowrun.us/20090619

So, do you have a game room?

Carl
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Oh yea, the table the camera is on I built. It's still somewhat raw. This weekend I'll be tidying it up and finishing it.

Carl

korhal23
06-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Jeez.... ...need a roommate? :D
My gameroom doesn't exist.... but I do have a large shelf of books, and almost 5 gigs of PDFs (I'm military... PDFs are easy to move). So that counts for something I guess.

deathboy
06-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Very nice Freejack! As of now my game area is the Dinning room in my apartment, with game stuff in the den or the walk in closet. ( Yeah I have a bunch of stuff.)

The wife and I are waiting to get a house, but a game room is high on my list of requirements. I just want to have access to all my stuff in one area so I have the reference material I need.

templeorder
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Its for movies, reading, and gaming. Its a big "L" shaped room with a hallway to complete a "U" pattern, with my personal office in the middle. The game room has a projector and screen and the gaming table with an iron chandelier my wife got me as a wedding present. The office has custom made comic drawers, all my gaming books, more books and movies, and my computer workstation (and bar).

The personal office can be seen here:
http://www.incarna.net/host/kelly/personal/media/img/gr/2.jpg
http://www.incarna.net/host/kelly/personal/media/img/gr/3.jpg

Not all my gaming books appear, but they are stacked under the desk, on shelves and packed here and there.

templeorder
06-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Oh yea, the table the camera is on I built. It's still somewhat raw. This weekend I'll be tidying it up and finishing it.

Carl

Man, i want to make my own table - that would add the ultimate feel to my gaming den... i got a table i bought from a roomate 8 years ago. The cool things i could do if i made my own... but, as my wife says... "I'm not handy". Awesome pics, really cool. The room has a 'cool' feeling to it as well, very nice.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Thoth is so jealous of you guys, Freejack and templeorder. When are you going to invite good 'ole Thoth over for some gaming? I can sleep on the recliner, no worries.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah, you guys have some great set-ups. I probably have as many books if not more. But living in an apartment (free rent is hard to beat) it's impossible to find a room where I can put all my books. As it is I use my largest bedroom (in a two bedroom apartment) for my game room, which can be easily darkened for Ravenloft time. The rest of my apartment is full of bookshelves while I have a closet loaded with shelves and filling cabinets crammed with nothing but RPG stuff. Bit of a packrat here. Sure would be nice to have a real game room though.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
If i had the space, i'd invite you guys over for a week of gaming. Ah well, if ever i come into money, count on it, Freejack, templeorder, Korhal23, deathboy, & Arkhemedes.

There we go, we got a full table.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Right back at you Thoth and the rest of the gang.

nijineko
06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
@freejack: my attention was immediately riveted by the GO set underneath the othello set in the second picture. play much?

@templeorder: i highly approve of hallways filled with bookshelves.

nice places both of you. perhaps someday i will live in a place spacious enough to consider doing something.

deathboy
06-21-2009, 02:14 PM
If i had the space, i'd invite you guys over for a week of gaming. Ah well, if ever i come into money, count on it, Freejack, templeorder, Korhal23, deathboy, & Arkhemedes.

There we go, we got a full table.

Aw thanks Thoth! I reciprocate the offer back at you as well.

Freejack
06-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Hey, you guys are welcome whenever you want to drop by (with sufficient warning of course :D ). It's always good to meet new people in real life.

The table was an experiment. I took a bunch of 1x6x6' pine boards, used a biscuit joiner to cut holes and glued them all together. I used a couple of tie-downs to squeeze them together and plenty of glue. Unfortunately there was a bit of a bow in the table when I was done.

I also screwed some 1x2 boards to the bottom around the edge to try and stabilize it but it didn't work well.

I had my computer stuff and books downstairs in the family room along with two desks when we moved in to the last place. The other books (scifi, western, fiction, etc) were put on shelves in the smaller bedroom upstairs. When my wife nagged me into opening Pandora's box, I tried to get my gaming books somewhere but didn't have a good place.

We'd decided to change the master bedroom. We'd put the bedroom into the basement family room in the summer (cooler) and in the winter, we'd move the bedroom into the smaller bedroom upstairs.

I'd then move the library into the master bedroom and the computers and the computer books.

So when I tried to move the table upstairs, it wouldn't fit. I cut about 6" of the corners off and it was able to fit.

I also created a simple X base. Two pieces of 4' wide, 3' or so high boards that were cut half way and fit together to make an X. I put the table on top and it worked but with the top being a little bent and the X base, it would bounce if you leaned on it and sway in a circular motion :eek:

When we moved to this place, I put the top in the PODS like box against the wall. As I put the boxes in to hold it up, I had to do some pushing and I heard the top *crack* but go flat. Hmm, ok I can fix that.

When it was moved to the new place, I put it on the X and the table top was flat! So one problem was solved. It still swayed though.

Yesterday I took the 4'x3' boards out into the garage and cut them in half. I took an 8' length of 1x2 and cut it into four 2' lengths. I nailed them to the 2'x3' boards on the lower part and created a box. I took a second 8' length of 1x2 and created an inner square. I screwed the boards to the bottom of the table top, fit the box over the boards and screwed the box to the frame under the table. After setting it back up, it's nice and solid. I'll have to snap a quick pic and post it here.

As to the Go game. Unless I can bring someone over to play, I don't get to play things as much as I'd like (that's why you guys are welcome over :D ). When I do get people, I tend to want to play something newer. The B-Movie card games are great fun. Now that we're in a new place and I'm not far from a couple of game stores, maybe I can get more weeknight games going on.

Carl
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Ok, just spent a "few" minutes.

http://shadowrun.us/20090621/dscn1037x800.jpg

The nails down the corners hold the 1x2's. The screws along the top screw into 1x2's which are screwed into the table top.

http://shadowrun.us/20090621/dscn1038x800.jpg

That's the 1x2 edging. I wanted to keep it thin so people wouldn't bonk knees into it.

http://shadowrun.us/20090621/dscn1036x800.jpg

There's the top. 6' long by 5' wide. I was going to play Arkham Horror with a group today but being Father's Day, everyone bailed :)

http://shadowrun.us/20090621/dscn1035x800.jpg

Room for about 10 players, perhaps more. It's not really set up. Just all out for display.

Carl

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 04:36 PM
That is just very cool, Freejack.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Say, your name wouldn't be Bob Villa would it?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-21-2009, 06:25 PM
If you took off the sunglasses and hat, it just could be Bob Villa. Hey, i'm just sayin'

Freejack
06-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Actually

http://www.schelin.org/stuff/smiling.carl.jpg

I've been told I look a bit like McGiver.

Thanks though. I have plans on a nicer table but first I have to get my shop in order.

Carl

mrken
06-21-2009, 06:39 PM
I happen to know his first name is not Angus. :)

And it ain't Bob.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Actually

http://www.schelin.org/stuff/smiling.carl.jpg

I've been told I look a bit like McGiver.

Thanks though. I have plans on a nicer table but first I have to get my shop in order.

Carl
No way dude, Jack O'Neill maybe. But not McGyver.

templeorder
06-21-2009, 07:19 PM
ok, so the bookcases were put in after i bought the house... and cost a lot - maybe there were better ways to spend the money, but i was soooo tired of nto having everything on display. I've got books piled up everywhere, even in my wife's cases and spare room. I'm getting rid of some gaming books and some less favored sci-fi and fantasy. Normally i don't get rid of any books, but if i think i would never read a book again.. well, its not good enough to be in the collection (even if I don't read it again, the criteria is it has to be good enough). I gotta make room for newer stuff. argh.

Freejack - that table is awesome man! Mine only seats 6-8... though i can cram more in the basement, but your setup looks like its still confortable, even with 8 around that table.

And hey, i'm open for people dropping buy any time - it is good to meet ne wpeople in real-life. Just has to be fair warning and arranged with the wife for a stay.

Arkhemedes
06-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey templeorder, I have a buddy Nikodemos, who recently moved to Seattle. He just got on P&PG and I've been threatening to come pay him a visit possibly at the end of the summer or in the fall. Maybe we can get something going. He's a great guy. At the very least look him up.

MortonStromgal
06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
If I can ever afford to buy a house you can bet there will be a gaming room. Y'alls places look great.

mrken
06-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Has never been a better time to buy a house than now. Prices are about rock bottom and mortgages are about as low as any of us will ever see again. I wish I could buy another or ten.

emblasochist
06-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Heh... Its not so much prices that are the issue for me, but rather that I don't have the employment history to hold a mortgage yet... That's the *****...

Freejack
07-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Update. I've painted the base and underside and today I received my black felt. I used some rubber cement and carefully laid it out and here it is:

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090702/dscn1054x800.jpg

I'll be adding 3/4" of stained trim to the edge tomorrow or Saturday. Just in time for Sunday's game :D

http://www.shadowrun.us/20090702/dscn1055x800.jpg

Looks pretty good if you ask me :D

Carl

1958Fury
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Looks pretty good if you ask me :D

If you ask me as well. :biggrin:

Want want want. :laugh:

mrken
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but I think it looks pretty good too.

Webhead
07-03-2009, 12:15 AM
Wow! I'm jealous, Freejack! I wish I had a gaming space and table like that.

Oldgamer
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
It looks awesome Freejack! One question though ... where does one write on? Wont pencil tips break through paper trying to write on felt?

deathboy
07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
It looks awesome Freejack! One question though ... where does one write on? Wont pencil tips break through paper trying to write on felt?

I think everyone leans on their books or has a clip board, thus pencil to felt issue solved.

mrken
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Even with a 4x6 foot table I try to encourage the players to put their stuff on tables I provide off to the side and shelves and stuff. Has never worked. Players must put at least a soda (opened) or two, snack food (including crumbs) of several different kinds, player stat sheet(s) with several writing implements, hand books of many volumes, bags of dice with hundreds of different kinds sizes and colors (even though we only use one maybe two d10), candy plus wrappers, many minis and their favorite stuff. Even with a 4x6 there is sometimes no room for minis. :(

emblasochist
07-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I think my plan is to build a 6' by 10' table that can be folded up and stowed in a corner. Since we (currently) have 5 players and a DM, and we might start using a Mondomat, that gives players a few inches on the table off the mat, and since it's not not likely that the whole mat will be covered, people can put their munchies and things off the mat and their sheets on the mat. As for dice, I plan to get enough dice so that we do not have to use multiple people's, which can be accomplished in D&D with about 10 sets. Finally, since I am in the process of picking up all the rulebooks for 4th Edition, I will probably have a side table for us to put any source book on that players can get up to reference.

Oldgamer
07-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I think everyone leans on their books or has a clip board, thus pencil to felt issue solved.

Yeah, I know there's ways around it, I'm pretty good at improvisation myself. I was just wondering if he had something in store he was building.

I think my plan is to build a 6' by 10' table that can be folded up and stowed in a corner.

Wow, that's a huge table :) I wanna play on that! I have a 3 1/2' x 6 1/2' glass top table now that requires a large central base, similar in design to Freejack's, but being glass ... when people lean on the edges ... it bends, making me cringe. The top weighs about 300 lbs ( it's nearly 1" thick with beveled edges) and the glass alone costs about $700 to replace. But with tables for gaming ... size matters to me. There is so much errata to go on the table besides the actual game. You might want to invest in a litter picker to move mini's though:

http://www.gemplers.com/img/dot-reacher-pick-159882.jpg

I've played on larger tables and when the adventurers make their way towards one side or the other, the opposite players have a hard time reaching without having to get up and walk around the table and those pickers have come in quite handy. Not so much to squeeze the mini, but to just kind of push and pull, we found squeezing to be a little clumsy and ends up moving other minis around, not to mention smaller carrie things like daggers and swords might get bent or broken.

As for dice, I plan to get enough dice so that we do not have to use multiple people's, which can be accomplished in D&D with about 10 sets. Finally, since I am in the process of picking up all the rulebooks for 4th Edition, I will probably have a side table for us to put any source book on that players can get up to reference.

That's a good idea for the side table, books take up a lot of table space. I saw someone on WotC boards who built a table with basket or net pockets hanging off the side of the table like a billiard pocket where the players sit, only larger for everyone's books. Some people are superstitious about their dice though ... lucky dice and unlucky dice and all that ;) They may still bring their own.

Freejack
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Just clipboards or multiple sheets of paper, at least for RPGing. It's also large enough for most of the larger board games like Talisman or Arkham Horror. I do have an idea for a nice character holder for Arkham Horror.

Carl

Skunkape
07-06-2009, 07:24 AM
The stuff on the play surface was why I liked the UGT, but, the height of that table bothers me some as you might have to stand to view where the figures are. Also, it could be hard for some players to reach figures toward the middle of the table.

That's partly why I haven't built it yet at my house. Still in proto-typing mode.:biggrin:

mrken
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Currently my table is a 4x6 foot one. Even while setting, most players can reach three foot across, and if they do somehow get the energy to stand, they can reach all the way across, with the shorter ones able to reach almost to the edge. My table can now accommodate eight players with me occupying the one end where as the old 3x6 table could only hold five players and a GM.

Skunkape
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
So I got motivated yesterday to take a few pictures of the gaming room. There's so much more I want to do to the room and I'm going to do to the room, but here's the space as of right now.

Below is a map of the room layout with the numbers on the map corresponding to the photos.

http://www.johnprime.com/photos/gaming_room/gaming_map.jpg

The entrance to the room is through the door marked one. Directly to the right of the door as you walk in is a closet with sliding doors. Unfortunately, I only can use half of the closet as my mother's stuff is in the other half!:biggrin:

But I'll be adding shelves in my half of the closet eventually. Continuing around the room counter-clockwise, you have a window on the next wall, which is on the north side of the house. The third was, also has a window on it and then the final wall, will actually allow me to put up shelves eventually!

I'm considering putting up corner shelving units at positions 3 and 4 with a TV on top/above the shelving at 3 because of the position of the windows in the room.

Our current table surface is two 6 foot conference tables. If I had been thinking when I purchased the second 6 foot table, I would have bought a 5 foot one instead. I already had a 5 foot and 6 foot table, but instead bought the second 6 foot one. When I finally get to build a permanent table, it will measure 5 by 5 foot so there will be a little more space around the east/west orientation of the table.

http://www.johnprime.com/photos/gaming_room/one.jpg
Picture One - South east corner of the room, looking in from the door.

http://www.johnprime.com/photos/gaming_room/two.jpg
Picture Two - North east corner of the room, over by the fridge.

http://www.johnprime.com/photos/gaming_room/three.jpg
Picture Three - North west corner of the room.

http://www.johnprime.com/photos/gaming_room/four.jpg
Picture Four - South west corner of the room.

The great thing about the room is that it's mine at least for the time being, so I can go in there and work on my terrain! At least until my wife wants something!:biggrin:

Oh and I can make as big a mess in there as I want, at least until it's time for the next game!

Doom Crow
08-07-2009, 09:43 AM
My wife and I are in the process of buying a house so once that happens I'll be able to start working on a game room. Nice layouts posted here, I like the table Freejack kudos on making it. I stopped buying hard copies of books and switched to PDFs since we're military so there not a lot of bookshelves that need to be built yet.

Oldgamer
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
You're pretty serious about your gaming room Skunkape, you even have a deadbolt on the door in :biggrin: One day I will have a room that will be game specific, right now mine is just on the 4x6 glass dining room table :)

Skunkape
08-07-2009, 02:41 PM
LOL! Actually, the room belonged to my step-father and I put a deadbolt on it because of my grandson, made my step-father more comfortable.

Course, I left it on when I took over the room, as long as my wife doesn't really want to talk to me, I can lock myself in. If she really does want to talk to me though, I'll unlock the door, it's cheaper than replacing the door and frame!:laugh: