PDA

View Full Version : 10 Greatest Dungeons and Dragons End Bosses

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
10 Greatest Dungeons and Dragons End Bosses

Found this link online and wanted to start a thread where we all share our opinions, observations, experiences, and perhaps even add a few of our own picks to the top 10.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/the_10_greatest_dungeons_dragons_end_bosses.php

Top 10:

10) The Slave Lords: High Priest Stalman Klim
09) The Lost City: Zargon
08) Tomb of the Lizard King: Sakatha
07) Dragonlance: Verminaard
06) Against the Giants: Nosnra, Jarl, and Snurre Iron-Belly
05) Temple of Elemental Evil: Zuggtmoy
04) White Plume Mountain: Keraptis/Quesnef
03) Ravenloft: Strahd von Zarovich
02) Queen of the Demonweb Pits: Lolth
01) Tomb of Horrors: Acererak

So that's the list. Do you agree, disagree, have any additions you'd like to add, what share you?

deathboy
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
The scary thing is I've played or own all those adventures accept Tomb of the Lizard King. Still Strahd is my all time favorite, with Lolth a close second.

Mindbomb
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Planescape: Lady of Pain
Greyhawk: Vecna

Arkhemedes
06-19-2009, 07:25 PM
Wow, Thoth, to say this list missed a few is an understatement! Ravenloft alone has enough bad ass bosses to take more than half of these villains off. Here are a few examples:

Ebonebane - Bane of the Shadowborn
Meredoth - Ship of Horrors
The Elder Brain - Thoughts of Darkness
Inajira - Roots of Evil
Azalin - Roots of Evil (among others)
Lord Soth - When Black Roses Bloom (among others)
Arijani - Web of Illusion

This is not even a complete list of the Ravenloft bosses that could easily kick Zuggtmoy's bloated ass. But what if you define greatness according to fame and respect rather than power? Well then we could throw in the following classics:

Vecna - Die Vecna Die (among others)
Drelnza - Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Zhengyi the Witchking - The Bloodstone Series
Orcus - The Bloodstone Series
Tiamat - The Bloodstone Series
and my favorite - Krellokk the Tangglord - Egg of the Phoenix (he wasn't actually detailed in this module, but I threw him in because I DID make stats for him and he was badder than all the above!).

There are more that I am certain I missed. These guys are just the ones that come to mind. There are so many in fact that I would have a difficult time putting them in any kind of order. But one thing I am sure of - anyone of those listed above would be enough to make the chump, Stalman Klim run screaming and crying home to his mommy!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow, Thoth, to say this list missed a few is an understatement! Ravenloft alone has enough bad ass bosses to take more than half of these villains off. Here are a few examples:

Ebonebane - Bane of the Shadowborn
Meredoth - Ship of Horrors
The Elder Brain - Thoughts of Darkness
Inajira - Roots of Evil
Azalin - Roots of Evil (among others)
Lord Soth - When Black Roses Bloom (among others)
Arijani - Web of Illusion

This is not even a complete list of the Ravenloft bosses that could easily kick Zuggtmoy's bloated ass. But what if you define greatness according to fame and respect rather than power? Well then we could throw in the following classics:

Vecna - Die Vecna Die (among others)
Drelnza - Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Zhengyi the Witchking - The Bloodstone Series
Orcus - The Bloodstone Series
Tiamat - The Bloodstone Series
and my favorite - Krellokk the Tangglord - Egg of the Phoenix (he wasn't actually detailed in this module, but I threw him in because I DID make stats for him and he was badder than all the above!).

There are more that I am certain I missed. These guys are just the ones that come to mind. There are so many in fact that I would have a difficult time putting them in any kind of order. But one thing I am sure of - anyone of those listed above would be enough to make the chump, Stalman Klim run screaming and crying home to his mommy!
Here's a great thread idea, and i whole-heartedly suggest you do this: Start a thread called something like Arkhemedes Top 10(or more) choices for End-Bosses. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

It would be a great thread. When you do, please list your link to this thread so as to give all 8000+ P&PG members more tasty-goodiness to read and respond too. What do you say?

:focus:

Arkhemedes
06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
You dog. Great thread by the way Thoth!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Ravenloft or Arkhamedes Top 10? It would be worthy of its own thread. Yes?

Btw, cant wait to see Tameraths response. :laugh:

So as to not threadjack my own thread... :focus:

Dark
06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
I say Vecna the guy is just one serious baddie just ask some of my players . ;)

Q-man
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
The DM's I've played with always favored making their own realms and bad guys, so I haven't faced off against too many of the ones you listed. I've been tracking down those classic modules in the hopes of running them someday, I'd really like to see more of those legendary modules in action.

Windstar
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Thoth, need to be able to pick more than one, but I went with Lolth due to the underdark scenerio.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Thoth, need to be able to pick more than one, but I went with Lolth due to the underdark scenerio.
Yep, Underdark pushed Lolth into #1 for me too.

Umiushi
06-20-2009, 06:40 AM
10) The Slave Lords: High Priest Stalman Klim
He wasn't so memorable to me individually, but if you included the bizarre company he kept, as a boss fight, it really stood out. One thing I can't remember: was he also a Slave Lord in A3?

09) The Lost City: Zargon
This was a great pitched battle against a true monster. Unfortunately, I couldn't shake the impression of the garbage compactor scene from Star Wars. Juiblex has the same problem for me.

08) Tomb of the Lizard King: Sakatha
I don't remember him in the boss fight, but what was really cool about Sakatha is that he actively scryed on the party and planned counter-moves against them for the whole adventure.

07) Dragonlance: Verminaard
Too Darth Vader for my taste. Especially cheesy is when he comes back as an allied NPC named "Draamin Rev" in the otherwise-excellent Dragons of Faith module.

06) Against the Giants: Nosnra, Jarl, and Snurre Iron-Belly
They didn't really do much for me at all; felt like regular encounters. Isn't "Jarl" actually named Grugnur, by the way? Jarl's just his title, like Chief, or King. In fact, how many of these giants were actually end bosses? He may be the eponymous character, but I'll guess that most parties fight Nosnra less than halfway through Steading of the Hill Giant Chief. Some parties make him their very first encounter, either by accident or design! As for Snurre, Eclavdra was the one who stole the show in Hall of the Fire Giant King. That leaves Grugnur...and people can't even remember his name.

02) Queen of the Demonweb Pits: Lolth
Even if she gets three Heals a day, it's really hard to take seriously a Lesser Goddess with 66 hit points. As a boss, I always felt she was an anti-climax, especially considering the scope of what the party went through to get to her.

01) Tomb of Horrors: Acererak
The encounter with Acererak was as unexpected and deadly as the rest of that accursed tomb.

While I'm not too sure about these bosses, the modules that feature them are among my all-time favorites. What makes them memorable to me is really the adventures they were part of, rather than their aptitude as bosses.

Some bosses that stand out more than any of the ones here, by virtue of their interesting characterizations, are Lareth the Beautiful and Eclavdra.

However, if I think about end bosses in terms of how they're actually encountered, my runner-up is Opawang from OA3: Ochimo the Spirit Warrior, and my number-one choice is the Master (...of the Desert Nomads; not Doctor Who's nemesis), whom you get to go up against in X4: Master of the Desert Nomads, and then again as a new incarnation in X5: Temple of Death.

templeorder
06-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Are you kidding, does anyone remember the picture of Zargon? Imagine a bunch of low level goobs stumbling on that one. Killed a lot of party members with him... and i've managed to keep the party in the adventure for months (game time) on end with multiple attempts to slay that creepy bugger. One party got totally stuck and ended up a permanent fixture, there for the next group... but driven mad and worshiping Zargon as his minions. So many cool ways to run this one...

Arkhemedes
06-20-2009, 11:46 AM
I have to agree with a lot of what Umiushi said, though I never got to go through modules 7,8 and 9. I especially agree with the comment on Lolth as well, though by the time my group (both as a player and DM) got to Lolth the party was so beat up that she did prove to be very challenging. Taken on her own however, she would have been pretty weak for a lesser goddess.

I think it's funny though that you mention Lareth the Beautiful. For some reason he too stands out in my mind. I think it's partly because that last battle in the moathouse is a real bugger for a bunch of low-level guys, but also because we tended to poke fun at him.

nijineko
06-20-2009, 12:56 PM
sooooo... i've actually never gotten far enough to see any of those. hence the atg and rtttoh campaigns we have transfered to here. =D so everyone will be able to witness my first time ever finishing a campaign arc and see how i do. ^^

rmckee78
06-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Bargle. I never did catch up with that guy. There was a Dungeon Magazine adventure (150?) where you got to wack him. I should run a Die! Bargle! Die! game. Hmm, maybe a pick up at GenCon

Oldgamer
06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
I had to go with Lolth, she is just evil incarnate to me and I'm a big lover of the Underdark and its evil races. Though I enjoyed all of them at one time or another, Verminaard was not the best ... Ariakus made him look like a teddy bear, but in the books, he introduced fear into the Dragonlance world with his mace and his red dragon mount, not to mention he was Takhisis's right hand man until slammed by that spiritual hammer and tossed into the Abyss :)

Sakatha holds a special place in my heart as a DM, as someone else mentioned, he scryed the party the whole way and I used his Gaseous Form and magic to be quite the BBEG. As a player, I loved being a magic user when he was defeated and got his most wonderful spellbook ... but this goes for playing a Wizard of High Sorcery in Dragonlance when you find Fistandantilus's spellbooks too ... but Sakatha's was the best of the time.

deathboy
06-24-2009, 08:55 AM
Are you kidding, does anyone remember the picture of Zargon? Imagine a bunch of low level goobs stumbling on that one. Killed a lot of party members with him... and i've managed to keep the party in the adventure for months (game time) on end with multiple attempts to slay that creepy bugger. One party got totally stuck and ended up a permanent fixture, there for the next group... but driven mad and worshiping Zargon as his minions. So many cool ways to run this one...

Scary thing is Dragon Magazine updated him and he was even more stacked, for a 3.5 Creature. Though still under powered for what he was.

KERMlT
06-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I'd say Lolth because that is like the only one I vaguely know about. I played games and such but either never finished them or didn't get that into the game to remember the name.

Yes, I'm not a true dork. When a friend texted me with 'Gygax is dead' I thought it was a player in our group. Some of you are probably grabbing your chests finding it difficult to breathe. I should have given some warning. :(

Oldgamer
06-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd say Lolth because that is like the only one I vaguely know about. I played games and such but either never finished them or didn't get that into the game to remember the name.

Yes, I'm not a true dork. When a friend texted me with 'Gygax is dead' I thought it was a player in our group. Some of you are probably grabbing your chests finding it difficult to breathe. I should have given some warning. :(

LOL, that was funny ... I thought, "He doesn't know who Gygax was?!?!"

kitsune1842
06-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Of those listed, Vecna I choose you.

OF all the home brew end bosses I have had tossed at me by GMs, the winnder is Tiffany. 4 foot tall, blond, blue eyed, 12 year old girl in a pink dress holding onto a stuffed rabbit that has seen better days. At least, thats what she looked like when we first ran into her traveling to grandmas house in the woods. Later the rabbit was replaced with a large dagger when we found her trying to summon Tiamat into the material plane, and much much later when we were high enough level to have various true seeing effects she was a great worm Amythist(Sp?) Dragon.

There is a reason my smarter characters tend to have a phobia of small children.

cplmac
06-24-2009, 06:23 PM
The DM's I've played with always favored making their own realms and bad guys, so I haven't faced off against too many of the ones you listed. I've been tracking down those classic modules in the hopes of running them someday, I'd really like to see more of those legendary modules in action.

Bummer, someone would have to beat me to listing Drelnza. :yo: I tip my hat to you, Arkhemedes. Also, for the quote of Q-man above, I would recomend a reading of my blog to find the campaign log for our group that is running the Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Although, probably to Q-man's dismay, we are running this in Monroeville. (insert evil laugh here)

edit: The party has made it to the end of the written module. They did have thier battle with Drelnza and defeated her. They were surprised by how hard it was for them to defeat her. Then when looking at a couple of items, they also got to fight the guardian creatures, which after the second of them, one character had been killed.

Drivvic the Southlander
08-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm partial to Strahd being as he was the first major villain I encountered back in AD&D but I must say I also like Demogorgon, and Kyuss.

Ianos
08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
I can come up with more than a few but Strahd does stand out for many reasons, mostly sentimental (I even converted the adventure into an Earthdawn adventure once with Strahd being a Horror and all that). It has a classic feel about him, maybe it's the dracula concept...

TwoGunBob
08-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I went with the Sakatha just because it's probably the most memorable of characters that we were sweating cleaning his clock once and for all and it was a good, balanced final battle that came down to the wire.

Acererak cleaned the party out, not that we were overflowing with characters by the end of that module anyways. There was a time when everyone didn't know off hand how to deal with a demi-lich and we were right there getting sucked into gemstone eyes and teeth.

Strahd is great, I have fun DMing that module and it's a favorite along with White Plume Mountain but as a player that first time it was a different story. The DM had a thing for Strahd and the game pretty much ran as if we the players were inconsequential and Strahd was the DM's godlike PC that would smite us at his leisure. Strahd's a tough nut to crack in context to the module but he's not nigh invulnerable. I was rather surprised when I inherited Ravenloft and actually saw Strahd's stats as they were apparently 'inflated for balance's sake' by the DM.

Lolth was... wow did I ever not have fun on that series as a player. Excepting that the Demonweb Pits module was run shortly after Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and we were loaded to the gills with Gamma World era weaponry.

russdm
08-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Considering that Verminaard is the only person I actually know any real information about, I found it impossible to go with anybody on the list. I don't know enough to put any of the others. I know nothing about them.

For my pick, I would go with possibly the General from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. He has the annoying feature that his soldiers aren't hurt very much while he is still alive. When he goes down, they fall pretty quickly. Its curious. It happens to be a great amount of battle too.

For my other pick, i really can't think of anybody since few of the games i ended up playing in didnt have any memerable bosses. I think Ariakas from dragonlance sounded impressive, but then he gets offed in a cheap kill.

I would say the coolest baddy in D&D would be Lord Soth, but he was never an end boss, so he doesn't count for that.

And what about that crazy dragon with teh balor for a heart?

Just my two silver/credits.

michael
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Straad was my pick, cuz he is just flat-out a kule dood. He was the master of delegation!

WhiteTiger
09-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Xotani the Firebleeder :flame::smokin:

traesin
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
:rip:Zuggtmoy, Temple of Elemental Evil- never made it though that one.........and Veca still scares the crap out of my old group in Indy. Might have something to do with the DM too....he's slightly ummmm (looks over shoulder) evil.:behindsofa:

Baldwin Stonewood
09-12-2009, 07:18 AM
I went with Lolth, she is just wicked.

RMajere
09-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Personally I think the best villain of all time is in the Scarred Lands setting.

The Jack of Tears, the Carnival King, The Laughing Man, Momus are all names of that enigmatic entity that rose in the Blood Bayou and has grown mighty off the blood of the sundered titan Kadum. Deep within his Courts of Chaos he plots to an unknown end, surrounded by mighty warriors and an army that has never gone to war, all bound to him by deals struck with him. Traveling around the world with the Carnival of Shadows, he ensnares countless others into is endless webs of intrigue. For what sinister purpose does he delight in the corruption and darkness he spreads, only he can say....

ChaunceyK
09-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Without question, the greatest End Boss in the history of gaming is...

Bargle.

Oh sure, our party of Level 1 adventurers whooped his hind-quarters on their first excursion (ok, ONE of us may have popped up to Level 2 by the time we got to him), but he was one bad mo-fo. Even "Weird Al" Yankovic felt it was only right that he immortalize him song (while lovingly paying tribute to the punk/grunge band Nirvana)...

"It's hard to BARGLE nawdle zouss, with all these marbles in my mouth."

Ah yes, oh great & wondrous Bargle. How often you are forgotten.

Pushkins
11-08-2009, 12:19 AM
Iuz... nuff said

However as far as Homebrew the Best of all was Gothmog the leader of the Balrogs for me

Arkhemedes
11-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Iuz... nuff said

However as far as Homebrew the Best of all was Gothmog the leader of the Balrogs for me
Iuz...in what module?

Pushkins
11-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Temple of Elemental Evil- AD&D 1st edition

Greyhawk Adventures AD&D 2nd edition
"Iuz the Evil"

Not to mention "The World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting" the Red and gold cover with a knight, as well as the 30ish page folio both mention Iuz at great length.

Robilar was rolled up on Gary Gygax's kitchen table, played by Rob Kuntz a play tester and orignal D&D PC freed Iuz from imprisonment, only later to be driven out of Greyhawk by Tenser for this act, that and Rob Kuntz smack talking Gygax for soloing the Temple of Elemental Evil which was the Opus of Gygax's early dungeons

And there is a nod to him from 3.5 in the Complete Divine- his priesthood

Arkhemedes
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
The problem is that, while Iuz was featured in these publications, he was never technically an "End Boss."

Granted he is a cool villain.

Pushkins
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm fairly certain that in the adventure "Ius the Evil" you do face the Aspect of Iuz as an End boss

I may be mistaken as I was not the DM of this module and several years have passed, I played in greyhawk for some time, and Iuz was a constant thorn in my side, from the clerics to his fanatical followers and on occasion him, or his aspect himself

Nasty bugg'ar

WhiskeyFur
11-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Never played the modules, but I had a DM that turned the Lord Soth/Strahd border zones into an out an out war. You want to talk about vicious...

Started out pretty minor, but by the end of it, even our paladin said to hell with it and we all ran. After watching the vamp and Soth go at it a few rounds, we beat feet faster then the road runner.

As he put it... "Facing danger is required, but suicide is forbidden."

Dr.Dead
11-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I think The Dragon Ascendant is the most powerful boss because it gains 1 hit point per hit die, has a damage resistant of 20 plus AC, and resistant to nearly all magic. Plus age cannot kill it nore can it age not even by magic so the dragon can continue to learn and become such high level that nother can stop it unless of course your a god but even then the dragon can banish the god in a blink of a eye. And it also quotes that the Dragon Ascendant is the most powerful creature in the prime material plane by far.

Not only the Dragon Ascendant powerful you have to get through its forces first, and try to find the right lair because it has fake lairs, these lairs are about 25sq miles and filled with traps and a bunch of creatures you have to fight and there are about 7-15 fake lairs, if you think thats to many fake lairs its not what else do you have to do when you cannot die from old age. when your that level and that old I think you seen it all. And once you find the real lair you have to go through miles and miles of a maze most die before half way through most of the time from old age not from food not from death by a sword or creature but by old age. The reason from old age is when you at such high level to take on Great Wyrm Dragons you can just about kill every thing. When you some how get through the fake lairs and through the maze and through the traps and through the monsters and manage to find the Dragon Ascendant while its in its lair not enjoying the worlds and planes around him good luck killing it. O by the way it has no horde of treasure and gold. Its nothing more than a empty room and really really really really big room so ya its got to be the most powerful boss in the game.