PDA

View Full Version : Who plays Mongoose Traveller?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Who plays Mongoose Traveller? Do you love it, like it, or just indifferent about it?

I've played many versions of Traveller rpg, but i will admit i haven't played them all, including T20, but that is for another thread. Well, having played CT (Classic Traveller), i have found that i do love the newest releases of Mongoose Traveller. I find similarities with CT, and i do like the version. In fact, i own many of the books, and hope to one day soon, own them all.

Of course, there are some things i dont like, but with all rpg games, i houserule additions and subtractions so as to make it fit my unique perspective of the Imperium. Don't we all with our favorite rpgs?

I also realize that there is a B5(Babylon 5 version) coming out(if it isnt already released), as well as a Star Trek version. This just says volumes about how flexible the game is. I even have friends that have altered it to fit with the Firefly rpg. Whatever floats your boat, right? The flexibility of said games speaks volumes on its current popularity.

So my question to you all is...well, i have more than one question:

Do you play Mongoose Traveller?
Do you like it? If you're a CT, or other edition, diehard fan, then that's okay, too. Please share.

Are you interested in the B5 are Star Trek material for said game? I'm not worried about flamewars on this site. The respect that everyone shares regarding other's preferences is unmatched anywhere on the net. Special thanks to Farcaster and P&PG for this fact.

LET'S TALK TRAVELLER, with all its incarnations. Heck, even share some adventure stories with the game, and be sure to include the version.

What Share You?

mjungledog
06-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I just picked the book up a couple of weeks ago. It looks good.

I look forward to giving it a try.

I am interested in the B5 and Star Trek material coming out, being a fan of both of those shows.

dmccoy1693
07-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Own it, love it, started my own company supporting the game just so I have a perfectly valid excuse to eat and breath it.

MortonStromgal
07-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I own it and would love to try it sometime but alas there are alot of games I want to try right now.

Fersboo
07-16-2009, 08:27 AM
I had T20 on .pdf but lost it. I've purchased the CD with the entire Classic Traveller catalog from FFE and love it. I remember Megatraveller from the early 90s.

I've done chargen numerous times, just never found a regular Traveller game.

I've also done some Pocket Empires gaming. That is more of a strategy game with a little RP element to it.

Skunkape
07-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Friend of mine was running a campaign, so I got to look at some of the books. I like some of what they've done with it, but personally, I'm moving toward using BRP for most of my campaigns, adding house rules on top to do what I want as needed.

fmitchell
07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I've read the books and I like the skill system, to the point where I might try to run a campaign.

On the other hand, the random career system wouldn't suit players with a clear idea of what they want to play, and it takes about 45 minutes of die-rolling and page flipping to make a character. (I timed myself, twice.) I haven't created a ship under their system, but it looks even more complex.

Also, I probably wouldn't want to play in the OTU. A homebrew world I'm working on might have different technological assumptions, so (for example) shipboard gravity might not pull perpendicular to the direction of motion, as all the deck plans assume. My homebrew world has more advanced robotics, and even fully sentient artificial intelligences, so I'd need to work up or find a system to build robots. (Classic Traveller Book 8 looks kind of hairy.)

AnotherShadow
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I prefer the MegaTravller rule set versus the new ones, the only thing i give mongoose is that it has a better layout than the others.

Drivvic the Southlander
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm more of a fan of .Anomaly. it's not a big mainstream kinda thing but its fun.

DeadMike
10-22-2009, 11:16 AM

tesral
12-05-2011, 02:51 AM
I haven't actually played Traveler since the little black covered digest books by who ever printed them,. You know the ones, die in character creation type stuff.

I mine GURPS Traveler without mercy for my Star Trek game. GURPS does nice splat books.