PDA

View Full Version : New Edition

dm1891
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Ever since the first buzz of 4th ed, ive been thinking about my own edition of d&d. Obviously its never going to come out but i want to know if i can give some of my ideas so people can PEACH it. Just for fun.

Farcaster
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Fire away. Have you seen Paizo's Pathfinder RPG that will be coming out in August though?

MortonStromgal
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Mine would be Mutants and Masterminds 1e... Oh sure it might need some tweaking but they really got the rules to a d20 I enjoy.

dm1891
06-18-2009, 09:44 PM
So here goes. First piece:

6 races in PHB1, 8 classes in PHB1

Races: drow, dwarf, elf, gigantis, halfling, human
Classes: cleric, druid, fighter, mage knight, paladin, rogue, witch, wizard

Drow is mechanically like 4e elf but flavourly like drow always were
Elf is like 4e eladrin
Gigantis is a new, large-size race

Paladin is more of a support class (and one of the cardinal 4: pal, wiz, rog, fig)
Cleric is more of a divine wizard
Witch is a nature-based support class (like spellcaster-half of 3e druid)
Mage knight is like duskblade/spellsword/gish

Good so far? Is the cleric-paladin shift too untraditional? PEACH nicely.

Q-man
06-19-2009, 06:44 AM
With the paladin it depends on the lore for them. In D&D they were supposed to be ready and willing to attack any enemy that threatened the innocent. Which meant they had to be pretty sturdy to survive, I assume thats why they could wear the best armor and had high hit points.

So long as the lore you present for the paladin and cleric matches the role you see them filling, the change you made should be fine.

dm1891
06-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Fire away. Have you seen Paizo's Pathfinder RPG that will be coming out in August though?

Im not so sure what it is

dm1891
08-07-2009, 09:24 AM
So far so good? Should I throw some more things out?

Farcaster
08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
So far, you have only talked about flavor of a campaign world with no actual mechanics. I think for people to really give you input, you're going to have to stat some of this stuff out.

Grimwell
08-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, without new mechanics what makes this a "new" custom edition tailored for the specifics of your game table? The flavor stuff can be fantastic, but it's not systemic. :D

cplmac
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
I think that you need to give a complete posting to each of your races. This way everyone can see each of their unique abilities, if any. The same goes for the different classes. If you just say that something is like this in X edition and make it neccessary to obtain the books of that edition, that could lead to people just wanting to play that edition as is printed in the books. Just my observation.

dm1891
08-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I was planning to start mechanics now. Im not going to post a complete race until I explain some of the basics. Ill go in order of the PHB1.

Abilities
The six abilities are unchanged.
Im taking 4e's double-ability defenses a little further.

3 "defense classes"
Fortitude (CON/STR), Reflex (DEX/INT), Will (WIS/CHA)
(I might want to switch the position of INT and WIS. Would that make sense?)

3 "attack bonuses"
Physical (STR/DEX), Focus (INT/WIS), Innate (CHA/CON)
Physical attack is used for weapon attacks and body attacks (like grappling).
Focus attack is for attacks that come through talents and powers, that use focus and training/practice to execute.
Innate attack is for racial talents, and for certain talents and powers, that use innate ability and buildup of power to execute.

Every class has a "basic attack." This is an attack that uses on of the three attack bonuses, plus a "basic attack bonus" granted by the class. Not to be confused with 3e's base attack bonus.

AC is one of the three defense, plus an armor bonus. When wearing non-heavy armor, the AC bonus is granted to Reflex. When wearing heavy armor, the AC bonus is granted to Fortitude. Some magical effects grant an AC bonus to Will. If an attack targets AC, you use whichever AC is highest. Sounds confusing, but most people will only have one armor on at a time, so you only have to worry about it when changing armor.

There are 25 levels in the game, with 5 tiers. (Adventurer, Explorer, Hero, Legend, Epic) There are paths for each tier higher than Adventurer (Explorer paths, hero paths, legend path, and epic paths). If you take the same path four times in a row, the epic path becomes a "climactic path" which grants a few extra benefits (to make up for the lack of breadth).

dm1891
08-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Update: the names of the tiers have been changed:

Pathfinder, hero, exemplar, veteran, epic

ronpyatt
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd love to see what you've done with the witch class.

tesral
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Ever since the first buzz of 4th ed, ive been thinking about my own edition of d&d. Obviously its never going to come out but i want to know if i can give some of my ideas so people can PEACH it. Just for fun.

I did my own, come join the fun.

dm1891
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I did my own, come join the fun.

Where is it? I would love to see it.

And about the witch class, it's not what you would expect. The witch is an anima support class (anima is like 4e primal). Its more of a hedge witch kind of a thing.

tesral
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Where is it? I would love to see it.

And about the witch class, it's not what you would expect. The witch is an anima support class (anima is like 4e primal). Its more of a hedge witch kind of a thing.

Right Here (http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/fantasy/gs_fant.htm#System)

dm1891
08-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Big update here.

My edition is an evolving system so every once in a while i choose to scrap a big part of the rules and replace it. So here goes:

1. Classes: Im getting rid of mage knight (now PHB2) and bringing in warlock. Druid is becoming artillery, cleric becomes support, and paladin is defender. OR Witch and mage knight are moving to PHB2 and bringing in shaman (anima skirmisher) and bard (arcane support), and the role switches are the same as the first possibility. [You guys choose which switch]

2. Attacks and defense: just using the abilities for both attacks and defenses. Fort, Ref, and Will are now "saving throws" like in 3e but used less often - more for getting over lasting effects. I still want to keep Phys, Foc, and Inn, so if you have an idea of how to use that, ill consider it.

3. Im still playing around with how talents and powers work. I keep changing it in my head every week.

dm1891
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi guys. I didnt get any comments on my ideas so far so I didnt update in a long time but Im going put out something else to get your comments.

Phys, Inn, and Foc are now used for damage. The damage you do is modified by one of these three values.

Heres one completed race:
Dwarf

“Since its building ten thousand years ago no army has penetrated our wall. What makes you think your army can do it?”
The dwarves are a race of hardy artisans and craftsman. They live primarily in the hills and mountains, but most humans and non-sectarian cities are home to a large number of dwarves. Their protective skin allows them to live in very cold environments, so a lot of dwarves have taken to tundras and high mountain peaks.
Most dwarves possess superior abilities in craftsmanship to most races because of their connection with the Great Smith Moradin, god of the artisans. Dwarves also have innate resistances to many things, including poison, magic, drunkenness, and your typical iron blade.
Overview

Dwarves are said to be the oldest of the races, and they certainly look the part. However, no one really knows how long the dwarves have existed in the world. They are said to be created (or descended) from the Great Smith Moradin, and indeed, Moradin is worshiped as the protector of the dwarves.
At one point, all the dwarves were enslaved by giants and put to terrible labors. Eventually they rebelled and broke free, and they still harbor umbrage towards giants.
Dwarves' natural resistances allow them to live in almost any environment – freezing tundras, damp underground drow cities, boiling rain forests, and human cities. However, because of tradition and comfort, most dwarves enjoys the hills and mountains the most.
Dwarves make excellent adventurers for the simple reason that they know how to stay alive. Aside from the fact that they have innate defensive abilities, they are also knowledgeable and skilled in many areas.
As a dwarf player, you should be the one who knows what's going on. You should be able to use your vast array of knowledge to put two and two together when the adventure calls for it. During fights, you should be in the front lines, because better than anything else you know how to take a hit and still keep going. You are a very valuable resource to your party, so whatever you do, don't abandon them in their time of need.
Dwarf Description

Dwarves are usually cheerful and always in the mood for a good drink. However, they are serious when they must be. Although they could be impulsive, their practical knowledge is unmatched. Dwarves tend to be gruff, stern, and insistent, but they are excellent leaders. Some dwarves tend to get a little greedy when it comes to divvying up the treasure, though.
Physical description: Male dwarves are slightly shorter than humans, about five feet tall after maturity. Their skin is usually a dull, stony color, such as gray, tan, brown, or brick-red. Tan and brown dwarves are the most common. Hair is a dwarf's most prominent feature, and they have a lot of it. Although their hair style is based on their tribe, most have very long beards and they braid both their hair and their beards. The color of their hair is very intense – usually dark brown, brick-red, or dull gold. Black hair is not unheard of on a dwarf. Their eyes can be green, brown, or yellow. Dwarves tend to be plump and overweight.
Female dwarves are slightly shorter than male dwarves – between 4'8'' and five feet tall is the average. Their skin and eye colors are of the same ranges as men. Hair is not as prominent on them as on men, and they usually wear their hair in a simple manner – flat, braided, or in a bun. They usually wear it slightly above shoulder-length, unless it's in a bun. Their hair is usually lighter, between light yellow and orange. While they are not as round as males, they tend to be slightly weighty – at least, more so for them than for other races.
Attire: Dwarves are rarely seen out of uniform – whether it's battledress, smith's outfit, religious garb, or whatever it might be. Many dwarf men carry weapons even if they never use them, just as a sign of pride. Dwarf women also wear uniform clothing, but they don't usually carry weapons. Both men and women sport many rings and earrings, representing beliefs, affiliations, and causes.
Vital statistics: Dwarves are good at estimation, and they are very good at noticing minute differences in stone and metal. They are excellent appraisers for that reason. Dwarves have many bodily resistances, including the inability to become intoxicated.
Maturity/midlife/lifespan: 25/65/175.
Personality traits: boastful, greedy, gregarious, honorable, impulsive, inflexible, insistent, jolly, meticulous, nitpicking, proud, risk taking, sensitive, violent, zealous.
Preferred alignment: honor/greed.
Dwarf Culture

The majority of dwarves live in the hills and mountains, but this is by far not a rule. Many dwarves have found comfortable homes in other places, and their cultures have been intermingled with those of other races. They celebrate skill and craftsmanship as worthy attributes. Dwarf cities are usually surrounded by large, impenetrable walls built by dwarf citizens who considered it an honor. Most dwarf holidays are celebrated with lots of drinking, gambling, and sparring.
Nobility and royalty: Dwarves live in clans, which are part of a greater tribe. They associate themselves with their clan and are very proud of it. It is not uncommon to see two dwarves arguing over whose clan has a worthier bloodline. Clans are headed by clan elders – usually the wisest and most intelligent of the clan. Tribes are headed by a council made up of the various clan elders, with one elder being the Tribal Elder. The Tribal Elder has a position of royalty.
Religion: Moradin is seen as the god of the dwarves, so most dwarves worship him. Otherwise, dwarves commonly worship Bahamut, Kord, or Ioun.
Education: Dwarves are expected to have a vast array of knowledge by age 15. After that, boys spend ten years being an apprentice in a trade – usually a craft trade. Girls usually learn about herbs and agriculture or about religious studies.
Naming: Dwarf names are made of their personal name plus their clan name. Notable dwarves also have titles.
Name form: Personal + clan (+ Title)
Example: Ordoc Rigwall (the Boarskin)
Male personal names:
Female personal names:
Clan names:
Titles:
Creating a Dwarf

Dwarves excel the most as clerics and fighters. Any class that relies on staying alive or keeping others alive is a good choice for dwarves. Paladins are a good second choice. Survival and Savvy are good secondary skills for a dwarf. Dwarves should focus the most on melee talents that pack a lot of punch. Defensive talents might be good supplements to their already fortified bodies. Heavy armor does not impede them much.
Dwarf talents

Dwarf talents represent the dwarf's resilience and resistance to many forms of attack, as well as the dwarf's stability and secure attack.
Tough Skin
Pathfinder Tier Dwarf talent
Action: no action
Effect: +2 bonus to defense to resist piercing and slashing damage
Per Tier Increase: +2 bonus to defense
Stable Thrust
Hero Tier Dwarf talent
Action: 1 round
Implement: weapon
Attack: Str +2 vs. AC
Hit: weapon damage +1d8 innate damage
Miss: 1d8 innate damage
Per Tier Increase: +2 on the attack roll, +1d8 innate damage on a hit
Iron Body
Exemplar Tier Dwarf Attack
Action: free action
Effect: make an additional Fortitude saving throw to end ongoing damage that require a Fortitude save to end; if any of these additional saves end the damage, get +4 bonus to Fortitude and Con defense until the end of the encounter
Per Tier Increase: 1 additional saving throw, +4 bonus to Fortitude
Adrenaline Defense
Veteran Tier Dwarf talent
Action: quick action
Requirement: must be under half hp
Effect: +4 bonus to all defenses
Per Tier Increase: +4 bonus to defenses
Adamantine Stance
Epic Tier Dwarf talent
Action: 2 rounds
Effect: +8 bonus to all defenses and +4 bonus to all attacks until the end of the encounter
Dwarves in the World

Dwarves are seen as the expert craftsman in the world. Trade with the dwarf kingdoms led to their immense wealth. Wealth leads to influence, and so dwarves have a tremendous impact on world affairs. Dwarves are respected by some and looked down upon by others. Very few people in the world are neutral toward dwarves.
Other Races: Drow are jealous of dwarf skill and expertise. Elves and humans respect dwarven craftsmanship, but something about dwarven culture rubs them the wrong way. Gigantes usually do not get along well with dwarves, because of the dwarf rebellion against the giants. Halflings look up to dwarves as experts at survival.
Summary

Dwarves are rough but gruff survivors able to survive almost anything. They are skilled and intelligent craftsmen and experts with stone and metal.
Dwarf
Natural mortal humanoid race
Base hp: 3 x Constitution score
Base pp: 3 x Charisma score
Load: 6 x Strength score
Speed: 5 squares (25 ft.) walk, 20 squares (100 ft.) run
Abilities: +2 Con, +2 Int
Senses: +2 intuition, +2 perceptiveness
Low-light vision penalty: -5/-20
Race skills: Athletics, Endurance, Religion, Technology
Race professions: Metalworking, stonemasonry
Proficiency: hammers, maces
Bonus Feat: Stability, Toxic Resistance, Stone Affinity
Languages: Common, Dwarven

Intoxication Immunity: A dwarf cannot get drunk.
Hefty Build: A dwarf does not get encumbered by heavy armor.

cplmac
02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Very interesting. I like the parts about Dwarves being immune to becoming intoxicated and not being encumbered by heavy armor. Does that hold true for shields and weapons weights also?

dm1891
02-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Its not true for item weights but a dwarf's load is 6 X Str score. To give an idea, most other races have 5 X Str score. Elves and halflings are 4 X Str score.

Anyway here goes the druid:
Druid

Druids are masters of the wild, protectors of nature, or predators of civilization. They learn to take on the forms of animals, and they have a special connection to one animal form that they master. They can also manipulate nature to their advantage in and out of battle.
Characteristics

Druids are protective, unpredictable, and uncontrollable. They do all they could to preserve nature in its most constructive form. They use no metal, for metal is the herald of civilization. They love the wild above everything else.
Alignment: A druid's alignment is always in respect to nature. For example, an honor-aligned pursues her duty to nature or to a fellow nature-lover, while a tyranny-aligned druid might fight for power over nature and use it to control the world's inhabitants. Druids are found of every alignment.
Personality traits: bold, courageous, empathetic, impulsive, minimalist, resistant, risk-taking, tenacious, territorial, unpredictable, vengeful, wild.
Making a Druid

Making a druid is a curious endeavor because druids operate best when they aren't themselves. Although complete transformations do not appear until later levels, even the simple choice between hand-to claw and hand-to-tentacle drastically changes the effect of druid talents and feats. Feats that can be used in many situations are useful. Druids enjoy mobility, so feats that restrict that would be counterproductive. If you prefer to focus on only the form that you are specializing in, you should take feats that exemplify those attributes. Those talents that are not transformations are feats involving mobility and adaption, which is very important when flipping between states. Simple nature control talents also exist.
Races: The elves' love of nature make the druid class an excellent choice for them. Halfling adaptability also makes for powerful druids. Among the other races, druids are better for nature-bound races than for urbanized races, but even dwarf druids can exist and thrive, combining the best elements of both. Remember that as a druid, you will want to down play your race in favor of your class, because many racial features do not work in animal form.
Religion: Many druids are not religious; they prefer to live in the serenity of nature alone. However, many do worship deities, especially Obad-Hai. Chaos and Fridena are also popular among the druids.
Specialty (beast form): Druids specialize in the animal form that they will eventually learn to call their “other body.” At lower levels, the specialty only accentuates minor transformations, but by veteran tier, you will be able to turn into your specialized form entirely. Every druid customizes her form to her personality. For example, two druids might both specialize in the black bear form, but the black bears they turn into will look very different from each other and have different dispositions.
Implement (beast part): Druids use beast parts – a piece of the animal they turn into. It could be a scale, a lock of fur, a claw, or something similar. When they use an invocation, they grasp their beast part. Special beast parts might belong to supernatural animals or have some sort of communication effect.
Abilities: As skirmishers, Dexterity is extremely valuable for druids. They also use Wisdom for many of their invocations. Constitution is important for some of their beast form powers, as well as for survival in the wild.
Beast Forms

A druid's beast form is her alternate body. If she stays in her non-beast form too long, she might switch just for a change. Although druids of even harmless and domesticated animals exist, the animals that an adventurer is dealing with are much more powerful. When a druid takes on an animal form (partial or complete), it is called a wild shape.
The beast part will be taken from the animal. It can be procured in any number of ways, including plucking hair out of your own arm after a hand-to-claw transformation. The animal you take it from is not necessarily the exact same animal as the one you become: only the species is the same.
The following are come beast forms that druid adventurers choose for their specialty.
Black Bear
Black bears are ferocious, strong, and hungry. They are immensely tall, as well. They are a good choice for a durable, strong juggernaut.
Powers: Black bear druids use powers that use immense strength and raw physical build.
Boar
Wild boars are energetic, ill-tempered animals. Their size is deceiving – they are very strong and persistent. Their tusks can kill. They are notorious for their charge.
Powers: Boar druids use powers of reckless might and strength.
Cheetah
Cheetahs are powerful, energetic, and intimidating, but their main attribute is their speed. They are the fastest mammals, and they chase their prey from long distances and catch them within seconds.
Powers: Cheetah druids use powers of speed and movement.
Cobra
Cobras are fast, large serpents. They are among the most powerful snakes in the world. They have venomous fangs, and they move very fast.
Powers: Cobra druids use powers of poison and heavy damage.
Eagle
Eagles are majestic, high-flying birds. Their wingspans are immense, and they fly higher in the sky than most other birds. If you choose eagle as your specialty, you will be able to fly by exemplar tier.
Powers: Eagle druids use powers of speed and flight.
Elephant
Elephants are bulky, but their charge can topple a building. They, like boars, have powerful tusks that are useful for charges. Elephants can also crush enemies.
Powers: Elephant druids use powers that accentuate their powerful size.
Fox
Foxes are sneaky and very clever. They hunt small animal, and they kill them with stealth and cunning. They are a good choice for druids who want to use stealth and cunning.
Powers: Fox druids use powers of stealth and trickery.
Hawk
Hawks are slightly smaller than eagles, but they are more violent. Their hunger for food drives them to make powerful dives and rip up their prey with their sharp talons.
Powers: Hawk druids use powers of sight and targeting.
Lion
Lions are proud, majestic predators that are on the top of the food chain. They pounce on their foes and eat them alive. Lions are the kings of the jungle; few are unafraid.
Powers: Lion druids use powers of domination and force.
Owl
Owls are nocturnal birds of prey that feed on small animals. They are intelligent animals, and they have good eyesight.
Powers: Owl druids use powers of vision and perception.
Shark
Sharks are the kings of the water – they eat smaller fish, and they occasionally take bites out of land folk that visit the water.
Powers: Shark druids use powers of water speed and power by size.
Note: You may only be a shark druid if the adventure is taking place in an aquatic environment. Ask your DM.
Tiger
Tigers are strong felines with sharp teeth. They pounce on their prey like lions. While they are not as majestic as lions, they are faster and more ferocious.
Powers: Tigers use powers of intimidation.
Vulture
Vultures are greedy, obnoxious birds that eat carrion. They care about nothing more than get the first, biggest share in the food. They are a good choice for those that want a sure shot at the enemy.
Powers: Vultures use powers of initiative and “bullying through.”
The Role of Druids

Druids make excellent scouts because of their ability to switch form. By the higher levels, they can follow the enemy as an innocent owl or crawl as a snake and sneak out. They can also act as guides in the wilderness, because of their affinity for animals.
Battle role: Artillery – druids use powers that shape the battlefield and attack many enemies at once. Their wild shape ability allows them to stay out of reach of normal attacks.
Role in the world: People don't really know too much about druids, except that if a trustworthy druid lives in the forest, there should be no reason to worry. And if an evil druid lurks there, you better watch out.
Roleplaying Druids

Druids are nature-loving. They would not allow anyone to blight a plant for no reason, or to unnecessarily cut down a tree. Some druids take this to an extreme. Druids are generally neutral in regards to political and social issues, but sometimes they would take a stand.
Background: Many druids start out as farmhands or forest wardens – nature professions. Some were wilderness wanderers their whole life. Some druids grew up in a forest, or in a desert, or in some other non-urbanized area.
Summary

Druids are animal-friendly protectors of nature who can manipulate nature and turn into animals – partially or wholly. They choose a beast to call their own form, and dedicate their training to perfecting that beast form.
Druid
Anima Artillery Class
hp per level: 3
pp per level: 4
Attack and defenses bonuses: +1 Int per level, +1 Wis per 2 levels
Class skills: Endurance, Savvy, Survival

Weapon proficiency: 1 simple, 1 [one-handed light only] specialized
Armor proficiency: Light
Powerful item proficiency: Anima

Specialty: Beast form
Implement: Beast part

Affinity for Animals: You receive a +2 bonus on Knowledge checks regarding creatures of animal intelligence.
Basic attack: wild attack

Talent trees: animal strike, might of the wild, wild shape