PDA

View Full Version : Think back...way back...Favourite Saturday Morning Cartoons....

Baron_Samedi
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Some of us may have to put our thinking caps on reaching back, others, not so much...

What i'm looking for is your favourite Saturday Morning Cartoons...or a handful of them...

In immortal phrase...What Share You?

Baldwin Stonewood
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Scooby Doo (30 minute show)

and

Droopy Dog (7-10 minute cartoon)

Malruhn
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Good Lord!!

The Jetsons, Flintstones, Herculoids, Justice League of America... Space Ghost. Jonny Quest...

Arkhemedes
06-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I'll go with Scooby Doo, Space Ghost, Johny Quest, Josey and the Pussycats, Super Chicken, George of the Jungle and Tom Slick.

Windstar
06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
I'll go with Scooby Doo, Space Ghost, Johny Quest, Josey and the Pussycats, Super Chicken, George of the Jungle and Tom Slick.

All but the Super Chicken, I watched Speed Buggy.

Arkhemedes
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey, what was the name of that one cartoon? Fantastic Heroes or something? You know, the one with Strong Man, Diper Man, Rope Man and Tornado Man. Loved that cartoon! Somebody please help me out or I'll be up all night thinking about it!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Smurfs(when i was in a weird mood), animated Tarzan, animated Star Trek, Thundarr, and some others.

Webhead
06-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Too many to name. I do recall really liking the original Transformers cartoon as a kid, Hong Kong Phooey, Secret Squirrel, Ant & Aardvark, anything with Daffy or Donald Duck, Inspector Gadget, Voltron, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors and many more that escape me at the moment.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Oh yeah, Honk Kong Phooey and Mr. Magoo

Moritz
06-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Herculoids, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Lost in Time, Looney Toons, Mighty Mouse, Underdog... And I could go on, and on, and on.

As for live action: Land of the Lost, H.R. Puffinstuff, Lidsville, Lost in Space, Spacenuts, Isis, Ark 3, Shazam (Captain Marvel)... And I could go on, and on, and on.

Windstar
06-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Smurfs(when i was in a weird mood), animated Tarzan, animated Star Trek, Thundarr, and some others.

Thanks Thoth for the reminder, Tarzan and Thundarr.

Q-man
06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
Some of them are pretty enduring. My nephew (who's 2 years old now) watches Scooby Doo.

Valdar
06-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Old-old-school anime: Star Blazers, Speed Racer.

gregm
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Thundar the Barbarian and Foghorn Leghorn

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-16-2009, 05:11 PM
What was the name of the cartoon that had two main players: a shark and a sidekick catfish?

cigamnogard
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I remember watching a cartoon - godzilla!

Dark
06-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Friends, Johnny Quest, Dungeons & Dragons,Thundar the Barbarian, Spiral Zone.

shilar
06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Transformers, Go-bots, Robotech, Thunder Cats, Silver Hawks, early Power Rangers, Voltron(lion force only), Star Blazers
Oh one last one but I can't think of the name kinda like Thunder Cats but they were sea creatures instead.

cplmac
06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
How about the Road Runner and Wyle E. Coyote? Of course they were with Bugs Bunny and the rest of the Looney Tunes bunch.

templeorder
06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Bugs bunny Road runner
Thundar
Scooby Doo

Non saturday were Star Blazers and Speed Racer

Afternoon, the best and weirdest was the Banana Split show

HotSoup
06-17-2009, 09:04 AM
metabots/pokeman/spider-man

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Ha! Found it: Misterjaw http://www.amazon.com/Misterjaw-Monster-Deep-Cartoon-Festival/dp/6301971353 :D

This was actually a pretty good cartoon way back in the day. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Ha! Found it: Misterjaw http://www.amazon.com/Misterjaw-Monster-Deep-Cartoon-Festival/dp/6301971353 :D

This was actually a pretty good cartoon way back in the day. http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Have never seen it! Looks interesting - almost like a prequel to Finding Nemo.

Baron_Samedi
06-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Transformers, Go-bots, Robotech, Thunder Cats, Silver Hawks, early Power Rangers, Voltron(lion force only), Star Blazers
Oh one last one but I can't think of the name kinda like Thunder Cats but they were sea creatures instead.

Was it Tiger Sharks? They got into a pool in their shark shaped boat/sub and transformed? i think their leader was named Mako and had a fin on his head...

cigamnogard
06-17-2009, 08:10 PM
I remember watching the Toxic Avenger cartoon!

shilar
06-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Was it Tiger Sharks?
Yeah thats is thanks now I have to go look for it.:bolt:

RoryN
06-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Actually, when I was growing up (I'm old), the likes of George of the Jungle, Tom Slick, Sugar Bear, Rocky & Bullwinkle were on Sunday mornings. Bonus cartoon day!

My favorites by far were Space Ghost, Fantastic Four, Johny Quest, and the Beatles cartoon. For non-animated fun, I liked the Banana Splits.

Much of the Saturday morning fest in the early 60's weren't all cartoons. I remember watching Sky King, My Friend Flicka, and Rin Tin Tin on Saturdays as well.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-19-2009, 03:51 PM
I just picked up the complete set of the Smurfs on DVD.

Don't laugh, serious, i mean it... don't laugh. Still laughing? Ah, you're just jealous that you don't have a copy, admit it.

Truth be told, it's for my niece and nephew. :rolleyes:

RealmsDM
06-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Pink Panther, Dungeons & Dragons, Herculoids, Scooby Doo (only when they had Don Knotts or some other late 60'd early 70's celeb as a guest star...lol) Voltron, GI Joe (although the last 2 were after school cartoons)

wow... so many...

mrken
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Haven't chimed in on this because as a kid I didn't watch cartoons much at all. Saturday morning I was up at sunup and out the door as soon as my Corm Flakes or Cheerios were gone. I was into baseball all summer with 5 or six games a day back then. If it wasn't baseball, it was hiking our to a small pond to gig frogs or to the 100 apple tree orchard to snag a few apples. Then we were always making secret forts and such. I was outside when the cartoons were on.

It wasn't until I was in college in my mid twenties that I saw Thundercats. I watched that sometimes, but not often. Probably why they didn't last very long.

Arkhemedes
06-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Actually, when I was growing up (I'm old), the likes of George of the Jungle, Tom Slick, Sugar Bear, Rocky & Bullwinkle were on Sunday mornings. Bonus cartoon day!

My favorites by far were Space Ghost, Fantastic Four, Johny Quest, and the Beatles cartoon. For non-animated fun, I liked the Banana Splits.

Much of the Saturday morning fest in the early 60's weren't all cartoons. I remember watching Sky King, My Friend Flicka, and Rin Tin Tin on Saturdays as well.
Dude, the Banana Splits rocked!...at least when I was a kid anyway. "Uh oh, Chongo!"
and "We'll never make it!" (spoken in a whiney nasal tone) are still lines used in my DnD games! I also remember that the opening sequence for the show was filmed at Six Flags Over Texas very near my home. I actually tried to find that show on DVD just last week! Sad huh?

agoraderek
06-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Mighty Mouse (original, not Bakshi), Scooby Doo, Captain Caveman, Josie and the Pussycats (terrestrial AND in outer space), Inhumanoids, Space Ghost, Grape Ape, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, Groovy Ghoulies, The Banana Splits, Semore the Sea Monster, I could go on and on...

Man, I was a cartoon junkie...

Edit: and about 99% of all the others mentioned here that were on from the '70s to the mid-Eighties...

traesin
06-23-2009, 05:30 AM
smurfs, thundercats, bugs bunny, (don't laugh) Dungeons and Dragons

Oldgamer
06-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, had to be the Warner Bro's like Bugs Bunny, Road Runner and Wile E Coyote and such ... other fav's were Scooby Doo, Thundar, He-man, Thundercats (HOOOOOOOOO!), Transformers, Gobots, Voltron, GI Joe, Smurfs (:o) Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff ... man, going back down memory lane ...

Harwel
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Looney Toons. Some people think Elvis is the King. Those people are wrong. Bugs is the King.

Sascha
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Let's see ... in the 80s, it was Rainbow Brite, Thundercats and Silverhawks (though Silverhawks was better - "... in Space!" and all :P).

But, if we're going for absolute favorite, it'd be the 90s with Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain. Sure, Tiny Tood Adventures came first, but it can't compete with its successors. (Freakazoid! was awesome, too, and Histeria! way underrated; still, top honors go to the Warners and their lab mice spinoff ;))

cigamnogard
06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
smurfs, thundercats, bugs bunny, (don't laugh) Dungeons and Dragons
I was looking to buy the D&D cartoons but could not find them :(

drewshi
06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
I just picked up the complete set of the Smurfs on DVD.

Don't laugh, serious, i mean it... don't laugh. Still laughing? Ah, you're just jealous that you don't have a copy, admit it.

Truth be told, it's for my niece and nephew. :rolleyes:

I told my wife it was for my two sons when I picked up the entire series of He-Man. She didn't buy it as I continue to watch them long after they lost interest. (Yeah, I don't think they're really my kids either.)
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Super Friends, Dungeons & Dragons, Thundarr (the absolute best), Reboot, Shazam/Isis, the 80's Superman (I still have the original run on videotape. Must get to transferring them this summer.)

Many knock the D&D cartoon, but while it may not have been what many gamers expected, the stories were written by some of the best animated writers in the business and it may have introduced many young people to the concept of D&D. It would be interesting to see how many would credit the cartoon for getting them started. Besides, the D&D DVD set is THE BEST collection ever assembled. I have never seen so much love and care go into packaging a television series before. Hell, it's got Star Trek and others beat.

Oldgamer
06-24-2009, 08:18 AM
How could I forget? I watched all of the D&D toons, and enjoyed them very much. For the time, they were good ... looking back as an adult in an age of CGI, the graphics suck and it was lame, but as drewshi said, it probably drew many kids into the game.

traesin
06-25-2009, 07:20 AM
I was looking to buy the D&D cartoons but could not find them :(

It's available on amazon.com.

Tamburlain
06-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Herculoids, Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Lost in Time, Looney Toons, Mighty Mouse, Underdog... And I could go on, and on, and on.

As for live action: Land of the Lost, H.R. Puffinstuff, Lidsville, Lost in Space, Spacenuts, Isis, Ark 3, Shazam (Captain Marvel)... And I could go on, and on, and on.

Moritz, I see that you and I were watching almost the exact same television sets on Saturday mornings.

Johnny Quest, awesome. The Bugaloos, Spacenuts, Land of the Lost, in fact all of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows--awesome. Isis, awesome (and awesome looking). Jason of Star Command, awesome.

Oldgamer
06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Moritz, I see that you and I were watching almost the exact same television sets on Saturday mornings.

Johnny Quest, awesome. The Bugaloos, Spacenuts, Land of the Lost, in fact all of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows--awesome. Isis, awesome (and awesome looking). Jason of Star Command, awesome.

Ah yes, I forgot about Johnny Quest, and he was a favorite of mine ...

Panthro82
06-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Mighty Mouse, Thundercats(DUH!), Fraggle Rock, Transformers, Smurfs, He-Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Scooby-Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Garfield.

Oldgamer
06-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Mighty Mouse, Thundercats(DUH!), Fraggle Rock, Transformers, Smurfs, He-Man, Spider-Man, X-Men, Scooby-Doo, Hong Kong Phooey, Garfield.

:high5:

Right on brother!

Jeffrywith1e
07-24-2012, 11:55 PM
already mentioned- Jonny Quest, Thundarr, Robotech

Pole Position and Mighty Orbots. Remember those?

cplmac
07-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Wyle E. Coyote & the Roadrunner.

nijineko
07-26-2012, 01:10 AM
i'm shocked, and slightly amazed, that no one has yet mentioned Battle of the Planets. (or the original Japanese version, Gatchaman) i was so attached to it that i would watch it in german when i couldn't watch it in english (original airing). of course, my mother had to put up with me whining about it not being in english the whole time.

and, just in case anyone happens to care, there are two versions of the D&D cartoon for sale (both on amazon), one has the original soundtrack, the other has the 3.5 stats and rules for the kids and their weapons... and venger.

i, ah, happen to own both versions.... *^-^*

as for other cartoons, voltron, mighty mouse, thundercats, pirates of dark water, gummi bears (great adventure seeds, actually), phineas and ferb, and many more, but those named are worth especial mention.

Dalkiel
08-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Voltron, Johnny Cypher in Dimension Zero, Marine Boy.

Morashitar
06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
He-Man and G.I. Joe