PDA

View Full Version : Piecemeal, the "Plug and Play" RPG

Zzarchov
06-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Piecemeal, which is an indepth roleplaying game, it is a fantasy heartbreaker with a list of nice features, designed for transplant to other systems.

A nicer "hit point" system (luck points and body points)
A system for heroic actions (re-rolls and selected rolls, see fate and destiny)
New character creation methods that make character creation a fun first session in its own right (See Schrodinger's Character).
Non-vancian wizard magic.
A vastly different priest magic system.
Improved social conflict resolution (as strategic as physical combat)
A simplified, but also far more versatile class system (See "Pie Pieces")
A combat system which is familiar to standard gamers but where you are always involved and don't simply wander away until its your turn again.
A simple, rational and easy to use encumbrance system.
The ability for limited player narrative control, without "breaking the game"
It also features alot of artwork, some humourous easter eggs and the like. The rules are available in a windows based viewing program, which you launch as an .exe, an emulator may be needed for other systems.

I will strive to ensure that I keep versions updated here within a day of updating them at http://zzarchov.bravehost.com.

Edit:

October 30/2009 - The Alpha Version has been updated again (A0.35).

Changelist:
Added Dynamic Saving Throw rules
Added rules for retirement and post-death adventure
Altered "Forked weapons" to be "Vicious" weapons, and included spiked and serrated weapons into the category.
Altered Charm and Command to use social conflict rules.

Zzarchov
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Included here are some Combat Cards (printable to help you keep tabs on round by round tactics if you have a large party)

And more importatly, a printable spell, miracle and combat manuever list incase you wish to reference them at the table, and not use a laptop.

trechriron
06-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Downloaded. Ran it.

This format is VERY difficult to read. It should have settings where you can alter the viewable window size and font size.

It should have a way to navigate to various parts when browsing besides a top menu (maybe a side bar?).

Frankly, you could accomplish all this with a web-based app that was more user friendly.

I like the concept, and I think you're on to something. It just needs to be easier to read and easier to navigate. Your artwork is nifty, I like the public domain stuff colored up. It has an epic feel to it. Your system looks interesting but I couldn't get past the layout to dig in.

You really should think of doing both a traditional PDF and web-based. The EXE thing is going to intimidate some.

Just my two cents...

Zzarchov
06-15-2009, 10:12 PM
True, The Exe is available easily offline however on laptops. That said please do list things to fix.

Im seeing font size as something you'd like to see changed for instance, that'll get thrown on my "to do list" and hopefully be ready in an update soon.

A repost from Zzarchov.Blogspot.Com
On the matter of why I chose to put Piecemeal in an .exe format. There are a few different reasons why that is the case. The first is that Piecemeal (unlike Adventure Party!) does feature a lot of rules. A large peeve of mine is the difficulty in cross referencing rules to other pertinent rules inside of RPG books. The ability to click to a term as it is mentioned (in case you have forgotten or simply not read about that term yet) is a large feature. Piecemeal is also designed as a plug and play system, so that you can remove bits and without too much fuss..add them into your own game system of choice. The compartmentalization offered by an interactive program allows for quick reference during play (as laptops are becoming almost a standard in many game tables). The last reason is to aid with virtual tabletop gaming, platforms (Some free some not) that allow old spread out gaming groups (such as my own) still play classic pen and paper role playing games on our computers, thousands of miles from each other. PDFs of the size required by Piecemeal are unlikely to be printed out, so any viewing of the rules would have to be on a computer regardless. For a shorter RPG (such as Adventure Party) where it is not rules heavy, and where printing is a viable option, I chose to put it in simple PDF format.

trechriron
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM
True, The Exe is available easily offline however on laptops. That said please do list things to fix.

Im seeing font size as something you'd like to see changed for instance, that'll get thrown on my "to do list" and hopefully be ready in an update soon.

The text area should expand to fill the whole app window, pictures should of course not re-size (bmp looks awful when sized incorrectly).

That would probably make it WAY more readable to me. :D I read PDFs all the time, and have Adobe Digital Editions, so reading electronically is not an issue for me.

If you can update the format, give a shout out here, and I will check it out again!

Farcaster
06-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Another thought would be that you could still make an offline HTML version that could use hyperlinking and be viewable directly from the user's local computer via their browser.

Zzarchov
06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
That is a good idea, my only note is that I do plan to add some more functionality as time goes on. Things to do alot of the calculations for you (these are sporadically implemented already). NPC generators, Character Builders, etc are all on the "to do list".

So the format itself will probably evolve as time goes on. In the mean time I've begun enlarging the font. This will be an ongoing process as I work out layout in some forms. But hey, if you try something new its going to be a bit of a bumpy ride for awhile.

Farcaster
06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
That would still be possible in HTML as you could use JavaScript to do the calculations and render to the page. I'm just throwing out ideas though. I do think that it would be easier to work with and print via another media. :)

GruntCannon
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
I've downloaded the .exe, and tested it out with some friends. Character creation went a lot faster than we expected using the point-buy system. We tried out combat, and found it slightly more time consuming, but a lot more entertaining. Overall I'd give this an 8/10 by what I've seen so far, which already beats 4th Ed D&D by 2 points. I'll do some more sessions testing out the social combat and see a few other aspects. Then I'll post another reply stating my opinion there.

AnotherShadow
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
I've downloaded the .exe, and tested it out with some friends. Character creation went a lot faster than we expected using the point-buy system. We tried out combat, and found it slightly more time consuming, but a lot more entertaining. Overall I'd give this an 8/10 by what I've seen so far, which already beats 4th Ed D&D by 2 points. I'll do some more sessions testing out the social combat and see a few other aspects. Then I'll post another reply stating my opinion there.

Wow you were generous with 4thed d&d

GruntCannon
07-26-2009, 04:27 PM
LOL. I sure was generous with 4th. I actually think its the worst version of D&D ever made. I was fortunate enough to have a decent gm to forge a story that was enjoyable, despite the lack of good gameplay rules.

AnotherShadow
07-27-2009, 01:29 PM
I know how that feels we played an amazing campaign with 4ed but it was the world and the people not the system, i felt like i was playing a superhero in a fantasy world and not in a good way super hero

Dytrrnikl
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
While I can appreciate your sentiment about using an .exe format, personally, I would prefer a more traditional format. Maybe I'm backwards or off kilter in some way, I actually enjoy flipping through page after page...it makes it sort of like doing research when things were set up under the Dewey Decimal system in the Library and you actually had to have book in hand. Is 36 too young to be old?

AnotherShadow
07-31-2009, 02:03 PM
While I can appreciate your sentiment about using an .exe format, personally, I would prefer a more traditional format. Maybe I'm backwards or off kilter in some way, I actually enjoy flipping through page after page...it makes it sort of like doing research when things were set up under the Dewey Decimal system in the Library and you actually had to have book in hand. Is 36 too young to be old?

I am only 23 and i agree with you its so much better to get to flip thru the pages. I love going to the library when i get the chance to, i love flipping through text books and learning something new.

Zzarchov
08-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok, I get this a lot, I have been PC as best I can, but..

Im going to have to call shenanigans.

You want a book not a PDF. A pdf is not a book. You cannot flip through the pages of a PDF any easier than the format this is in now.

You can print a pdf to paper, then go and get it bound with a nice cover. But I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt you are going to go and print out a few hundred pages that include pictures and get them bound. That can cost up to a hundred bucks a shot. So the first thing you are going to do is try the game electronically and IF you like it you MIGHT print it.

PDF != Book.

That said, I do plan to have a PDF that is book ready available by v1.0

Farcaster
08-02-2009, 01:32 PM
If I may, I think one of the biggest problems you are going to have with distributing an executable is that people are rightfully reticent these days to download applications from unknown sources. Whereas a PDF is considered far more safe. I'd also say that a PDF is far more like a book than the format you have it in now. PDFs can be read cover to cover by doing nothing more than scrolling through it. In this format, it requires drilling down into other sections, and if you don't do that, you miss the content.

Zzarchov
08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I would have to agree with your assessment. I personally see the ease of bypassing sections of a PDF as a blessing myself. The ability to only use the segments you have interest in.

Again, Im not knocking PDF's. But there can be more than only one format available for things. I may prefer a diesel truck, but if someone else makes an electric car thats good too.

Zzarchov
10-30-2009, 06:28 PM
An update has been posted after a few month hiatus, regular updates should now resume that my office is set up again.