PDA

View Full Version : How long has your gaming group been together?

Baldwin Stonewood
06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
How long has your gaming group been together?

I'm fortunate, I've been gaming in three games that has a core group of player for the last two and half years. I know, before I joined the group several of the members have gamed together for a year, or so, before my arrival. Sure we have had some players, come and go, but the core of us have remained steady. Besides have a consistent game, another great advantage of this has been the development of long term campaigns.

So how long has your group been together?

Mindbomb
06-13-2009, 04:08 PM
My core group got together around '94 with the release of Planescape and continued until last year after trying 4e which managed to split the whole group due to it's lack of functionality. And I don't want to hear anyone say I can't blame it on 4e for blah,blah,blah....It's just the facts folks. However I've managed to stir up enough interest for Pathfinder that may bring (most of) them back to the table. So until then I guess that would be 14 years with a core 4 players and another 6 regulars.

Arkhemedes
06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I have two players that have been with me for 21 years although there have been a few times when one or the other was not able to attend for a few months at a time. During that 21 year span I had another player who was with me for 15 years and a fourth player who drove clear across the county one day a week every week with just a few exceptions for 13 years! All together these four players plus myself had a core group of players that met at least one day a week every week for 13 consecutive years! In addition to this I had a number of other players who were with me for 5 or 6 years I believe. I am quite fortunate in this regard. I doubt there are few out there who can top this. But man I sure miss the good old days.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
I have two players that have been with me for 21 years although there have been a few times when one or the other was not able to attend for a few months at a time. During that 21 year span I had another player who was with me for 15 years and a fourth player who drove clear across the county one day a week every week with just a few exceptions for 13 years! All together these four players plus myself had a core group of players that met at least one day a week every week for 13 consecutive years! In addition to this I had a number of other players who were with me for 5 or 6 years I believe. I am quite fortunate in this regard. I doubt there are few out there who can top this. But man I sure miss the good old days.

Driving across the county to play regularly - that's commitment!

Arkhemedes
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Driving across the county to play regularly - that's commitment![/quote]

Agreed, Baldwin. Wish I could find players that committed now. Am I to assume you were the one making this drive? How far and how often?

Baldwin Stonewood
06-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Fortunately, I live in a metropolitan area and there are quiet a few gamers around. I have one gamer that lives about 10 houses away, and two others another that lives 1/2 mile, or so.

We did have a gamer who had to hike (about 20 miles) to get to a game but he eventually moved nearby when he landed a job. He lives about 1/2 mile away now.
--- Merged from Double Post ---

Driving across the county to play regularly - that's commitment!

Agreed, Baldwin. Wish I could find players that committed now. Am I to assume you were the one making this drive? How far and how often?[/QUOTE]

I was commenting on your player that drove the county to get to the game.

GoddessGood
06-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Longest gaming group I was with was together 3 years. I played with one particular player for about 6 years, and I'm currently gaming with someone I've played with for 5 years. My current group has been together for about a year and I'm hoping it stays together for quite a while more :)

templeorder
06-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I have one group that only meets 4-5 times a year now (though 1-2 times per week initially) that i have been playing with since 1987. My main group has one new player, but i've been gaming with the rest of them since 1992 approx. The third group i'm with, we've been gaming since about 2000.

Arkhemedes
06-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I was commenting on your player that drove the county to get to the game.[/quote]

Oops! Sorry, read that wrong. :redface:

MortonStromgal
06-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Define together? I tend to hop around groups alot, we are all still friends and hang out but I might play SR with some guys for a few years then switch to playing Mage with some different guys sometime the groups intermix to play something else.

BrotherDog
06-14-2009, 03:51 AM
?!?!?!?!
What is this mythological thing you speak of? What Mythos does it hail from? A gaming group that stays togther?!?!?!!? I've heard of no such thing in reality.

Freejack
06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
We're going on two years just playing Shadowrun. I've been in groups that have lasted about the same. Since I've moved 46 times, it's hard to keep groups much longer than that. We just moved again so I dropped out of one of the groups that's farther south.

Carl

deathboy
06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
I have to say my current group, though it has a change in membership has been the longest running group, at 5 years. In that time I have only two original members, my wife and another friend.

Malruhn
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
In nearly 30 years, I've never been with a group for more than three years.

Skunkape
06-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm used to long term groups. Sure we have members that leave and we recruit new ones, but the core of the group usually stays together for quite some time.

The current group that I'm with has a good core that should stay together without much trouble unless someone has to move.

Longest distance travelled to game was when I lived in Miami. Started with that group while attending UofM and continued as long as I lived in Miami, even when I lived in NE Miami and we met in SW Miami. Took me around 45 minutes to get to the game and that was expressway travel for most of the trip.

Longest time I was with a group was with the group that I started gaming with. We were together for about 10 years!

Valdar
06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Current group, just about one year exactly (we started playing a couple weeks after 4e came out.) I've gamed with one of my current players off and on since '83.

tesral
06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I have one player who has been with the game continuously since 1977. No, she is not the one I'm married to either. The rest of the players have been in it since about 87.

cplmac
06-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Our Tsojcanth group first got together around the middle of September in 2008. Of the original 10 members, we still have 6 of the 10. Fortunately, we have been able to find replacement players when other folks have had to leave the group. We are still running the "Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth" campaign. Luckily, there are other members of the group that are willing to take turns at being the DM/GM, which will allow me to get to play a character while someone else is running thier game.

Dark
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
My group some have been with me since the beginning in 81 so...28 winters....Damn I feel old. :( My youngest member since 90.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-17-2009, 10:42 PM
My group some have been with me since the beginning in 81 so...28 winters....Damn I feel old. :( My youngest member since 90.

That is impressive!

cplmac
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM

Wow! I can only hope that our group can stay together that long.

Werekoala
06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Been gaming with the same core group for about 25+/- years, which is nice, but part of the reason I'm here is to experience some new blood, as it were. After all these years, everyone in the group is pretty set in their ways (ossified, if you like) and trying new things dosn't meet with alot of success.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Been gaming with the same core group for about 25+/- years, which is nice, but part of the reason I'm here is to experience some new blood, as it were. After all these years, everyone in the group is pretty set in their ways (ossified, if you like) and trying new things dosn't meet with alot of success.

Stifled creativity can be a problem. New blood can have its advantages.

Dytrrnikl
06-29-2009, 09:38 AM
While we've played a variety of campaigns and RPGs over the years, there have been 5 of us who have been gaming together since '89. However, if I include the newest members, which brings the group up to 7, it's only been since '97. Now, if the two people at work that have expressed interest in my Saga campaign join the group and stick around then I'll have to adjust it again. Kudos Dark!!! However, for me, having the same core group of players has made every RPG we play feel stale, even I'm a player and not the GM.

WhiteTiger
07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
My group has been going strong for 4 years so far. I hope for many more.

MuslixtheMighty
07-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Even though my group has been rocked with marriages, births of offspring, friendships ending and many other reasons, we have been together since Jan '03.

Webhead
07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I presently play with 3 friends in one of my groups with whom I have gamed for just over 9 years.

I also play with some gamers in a second group who I have known for a grand total of 5 weeks, so I'm on two different ends of the spectrum.

templeorder
07-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Well, after a half year hiatus, my main group is reforming. One of those gamers i have been with since 95. The group that i've been with since 88 still gets together a few times a year - thats coming up as well, and one member of that group is now dropping in others. I assume its in prelude to having his first kid - which means i wont see him gaming for a long time if ever again (sad - but thats the way his wife is).

wizarddog
07-28-2009, 12:57 AM
I didn't get back into gamming till late 2006. I started my our campaign in Feb 2007 and still going (Through a 3.5 campaign, a short 4e campaign and the currnet 3.5 campaign). Members came and went; My wife being the most consitant followed by one other member. The others have in been about a year and a half.

WhiteTiger
08-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I have been with this group about 4 years. Atlhough this group has been together a total of 6. Hopefully we will be together for many more years.