PDA

View Full Version : Incarna?

trechriron
06-12-2009, 01:25 AM
So a member on this site has a link in his/her sig about the Incarna system. I was curious. It looks to be a generic universal with a subscription model.

So, what's the scoop?

templeorder
06-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Well, i've been working on it as a hobby for years... and now i'm putting it out there for consumption. The core rules are free and after three play test groups (total of 5 were ran, but three concurrent was our peak) i have a bunch of changes in store for version 2.0.

The subscription model extends the core rules and has GM Services, Player Services, Character Services, a series of magic, faith, psychic (coming soon), and kinetic based supplements that build on the core facets of traits, skills, powers, etc. I've been storing the massive sets of adventures i used to play test and will be publishing those. I also have the first 4 issues of a monthly online magazine ready to go. The subscription model is getting built out as i write. The product subscriptions generally last for 1-3 years (adventures forever) and all content is online - print it out as needed. The point is to create enough content every year to make it interesting and worth it for folks. And i want to make it cheap enough where it basically pays for itself, but thats it - i would prefer people buy it and support the system, but i'm not going to go berserk and track down copyright violators in their homes. The best is the GM services - its the most expensive but touches a lot of products with game developer/designer insights, adventure notes to help flush things out, theres a "game group" element for table top groups to 'register' and the GM can set up some rules filters, and prevent players from seeing certain content.

The subscriptions also allow me to then present comprehensive lists - like all traits from combat guide, player guide, faith guide, core rules and Global Material Set into one view for a user - because they have subscriptions to them all and i know about it - why should they have to jump around to get a full list?

I'm happy to present whatever information anyone is interested in... i'm trying to promote gaming in general - and table top (to me) is the best venue for gaming. Speaking of which, a friend of mine is involved here in Seattle with a side project i'm volunteering for to use gaming (rpg, Magic/cards/ war gaming, etc.) as a way to teach social skills, creative and tactical thinking, reading, and leadership in the boys/girls club sort of approach - i'll also post that if its gets off the ground. People will volunteer to mentor young kids in these games to build their skills and confidence in social situations.

Oh yea, on the Incarna site, I use Open ID for authentication - i let Open ID do all the work of userid and password maintenance, and just store related account information (name, etc.) in my own database.

I have a business plan and 1-2 years worth of changes and updates ready to process...

cliff
06-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Your comments subsection is broke, and you don't seem to be getting errors working with Yahoo as an OpenID provider.

Definitely interested in checking it out.

templeorder
06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Your comments subsection is broke, and you don't seem to be getting errors working with Yahoo as an OpenID provider.

Definitely interested in checking it out.

I've had nothing but problems with yahoo as an open id provider... i've had to have several people switch. I myself use Verisign.

I'll fix the feedback mechanism...
Thanx for all the comments... the more the better.

cliff
06-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Of coz, I had an incorrect negative qualifier in my statement, but you seem to have picked up on that.

I have another OpenID account somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what. I'll dig into it later this weekend, would love to check your stuff out.
--- Merged from Double Post ---
Feedback still breaking for me.

trechriron
06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Can you tell us a little about your system?

What makes your game different or better?

What makes the subscription service a better model than the traditional model?

What is the cost? Monthly? Price break for yearly?

What kind of settings do you have worked up for it?

cliff
06-12-2009, 08:40 PM
I imagine this has come up in other conversation, but it seems to me like most minmaxers are going to have a very high Charisma in your game. heh.

wulfdesign
06-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Of coz, I had an incorrect negative qualifier in my statement, but you seem to have picked up on that.

I have another OpenID account somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where or what. I'll dig into it later this weekend, would love to check your stuff out.
Feedback still breaking for me.

I was using Yahoo as a OpenID provider for a while and suddenly it would not work on a bunch of sites. I found that blogspot.com (Google) uses is an openID provider and haven't had trouble since (and it's tied to my gmail account). It definitley works with the Incarna site.

templeorder
06-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Can you tell us a little about your system?

What makes your game different or better?

What makes the subscription service a better model than the traditional model?

What is the cost? Monthly? Price break for yearly?

What kind of settings do you have worked up for it?

Some of this is answered here:
http://www.incarna.net/business/

I'm slowly figuring out the business side as i get closer to content complete for version 2.0... and there will be changes which cascade out so i'm making a lot of updates in the background to the 50+ supplements in the idea phase currently.

In terms of settings, i am planning on releasing a mini- setting, and my first major one will be the fantasy setting the Steel Realms... but i have about 6 others i'm working on. Where do i get the time? Ask my wife :(

Baldwin Stonewood
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
FYI: I just tried to view the subscription are but section mentioned that it was Restricted Access.

trechriron
06-13-2009, 06:44 PM
I am intrigued. I like your approach and the confidence you have in your business plan.

I would like to see the system, maybe a play example or report from your play-testers (maybe posted in the "preview" section of your site?), and of course the costs. :D

I am certainly keeping my eyes peeled.

templeorder
06-13-2009, 08:33 PM
for anyone looking > Sorry the feedback form was down, its fixed now. I run everything off my own web server at home, and had recently changed IP's, so the smtp email relay restriction was preventing it from working. Its all up and working again.
One of the biggest barrier to entries for a new set of mechanics is adoption. Most people just don't want to learn another system. Rule books are daunting things if its all new. Many developers of game materials are that - developers, not designers. To me, designers means a whole new system or a derivative of significant scale that prevent people from picking it up instantly from source mechanics. Supplements are pretty easy to build - thats what developers do. The roles are not reflective of any real world process, as often technical game "developers" are designers as well.
Anyway, overcoming this is the toughest part - meaning you have to make easy and desirable. This means not just good text, but good layout, and user experience over all. I'm a hard core data in/data out developer, user experience is NOT my strong point, so the game materials online suffer from my lack of funds to get a great site going... it's hard doing it all yourself.

My gaming group had just hit a point where "leveling up" was not enough any more. We enjoyed heavy risk of character death, story, dramatic combat, and strategy. At first it was a collaborative effort, then it got thinner and thinner as everyone realized how difficult it is to make a new system from the ground up. When i decided i wanted it to go beyond our little group, i lost a lot of support and it lagged for years. Designers came and went and we even lost 1.5 years to a dispute in combat mechanics between me and another designer. I'll see if i can find some play test materials to show everyone how crazy it got. Right now i have 1 co-designer, 1 world designer (whe i can get around to it), 2 consultants, and one of my old designer still gives input. We have only a single play test group right now, using a google group at http://groups.google.com/group/incarna-playtest1/ (though members are from 2 physical groups).

FYI: I just tried to view the subscription are but section mentioned that it was Restricted Access.

Yea, i've not got that launched yet. Its all built and working, but since i decided to make changes and put out a 2.0 rule set, i'm waiting for that to be done before i work on my first paid subscription offering - GM Services or Player Services (have not decided which yet - GM = helps people get games going, but player = cool new materials). I am also probably going to switch from a custom transact processing service to Amazon - why should i do it all and maintain it - they have everything i need. But, so does etsy... we'll see...

I imagine this has come up in other conversation, but it seems to me like most minmaxers are going to have a very high Charisma in your game. heh.

Well, then something else has gotta give. CHA is alluring because you get more CP to start, and there's a lot that you can only get at time of character creation... but will you really set back one of your key attribute's because of it (assuming you have an average range of attribute generations)? Will you drop your Willpower (and resistance to a lot of effects) to get it - is it worth it? I have a "best practice" set of guidelines i was thinking of publishing ONLY with the player services... which puts some sanity around the character creation process (there's little in the core rules admittedly)... maybe i will draw a few of these into the "getting started" guide to show how GM's should present the process for their own groups.

Also, CHA is one of those totally under-utilized attributes i wanted to make sure poeple did not treat it as a dumping group - in real life, its what makes all the difference in so many situations.

templeorder
06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
I am intrigued. I like your approach and the confidence you have in your business plan.

I would like to see the system, maybe a play example or report from your play-testers ...

Well, i started to review what i could publish publicly.
Most of the materials are in various formats, some just captured email threads. I've started to post a few here in a round of testing that lasted 1.5 years and killed the game for a while.

http://www.incarna.net/iweb/game/Test/Archive/2005combat/index.aspx

I don't know how much more of it i will make web friendly and publish, probably all of at least this part as others can see it as a reminder of how brutal play testing can be.

templeorder
04-29-2010, 01:37 PM
I've released 2.0 rules and the 3.0 core mechanics are in the works.
http://www.incarna.net/iweb/pub/news/v2/not.aspx

http://www.incarna.net/iweb/pub/news/v3/