PDA

View Full Version : It's as good as cash. Items that held value to you in your childhood....

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-11-2009, 11:09 AM
It's as good as cash. Items that held value to you in your childhood....

Back in 7th & 8th grade, i was the dealer of candy's and Felix gum from my locker. Yeah, i was an entrepreneur at that young age. Turns out some kids admitted to their parents that they were losing money from us candy dealers, therefore our school took action. Not wanted to get suspended, i closed my candy shop.

In high school, cassette recordings of the ranting humor and stories from The Greaseman (http://www.greaseman.org/) carried a higher dollar value than cash. So this got me thinking, what items carried a high trade value with you and or your friends at school, or even in your neighborhood?

What share you?

templeorder
06-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Richard Pryor and George Carlin tapes.
Comic Books
Star Wars Cards
Baseball Cards

Malruhn
06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
In junior high, I found that the local drug store had a stock of 'adult' magazines, and each month they threw away the old magazines after ripping off the front cover. I raided the dumpster. I sold individual pictures of stuff I cut from the magazine for a dime to 15 cents - with whole-page pics going for a dollar.

I got phreaking RICH!!

Then someone got caught with pictures of nekkid girls in school... and ratted me out. I lost my stash and got a 3-day in-school suspension. Luckily I got to keep the money...

...until I got home, when my parents confiscated it.

korhal23
06-12-2009, 05:50 PM
When I was in middle school, both the Magic the Gathering and the Pokemon CCGs were huge. I only had a handful of Magic cards, but I had all kinds of sweet Pokemon cards. Had somebody pay me 25$ for a foil backed Raichu one time, which made me giggle because I never even used the damn thing (I had a super rare type of Pikachu card in my electric deck that was actually better than that Raichu)

That, and being the only person I knew who subscribed to Nintendo Power (yay pre-internet when you had to have magazines to know anything about upcoming games)... peeks at the magazines would get people to give me all kinds of stuff.

Oldgamer
06-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Richard Pryor and George Carlin tapes.

:first:

I also had Eddie Murphy too. I had Richard Pryor on 8 track, Sunset Blvd I think it was called ... and George Carlin on a few albums. Eddie Murphy on cassette.

I also had a line on Playboy's dating back to the first issue, my Grandfather had been collecting them since that day and they were stacked in his basement, much to my viewing pleasure :)