PDA

View Full Version : Using Slieght of Hand to Disguise spell casting

wizarddog
06-11-2009, 02:10 AM
In Races of Stone they have a use of the skill sleight of hand for casting a spell while avoiding being noticed by others. The oppose check is simply observers doing an opposed spot check.

I run a lot of urban campaigns where PC's like to use charm person;) Just wondering if that seems fine as written or do other factors need to adjust for this to be balance.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Sleight of hand v. spot is correct.

The metamagic feat: the still feat out of the PHB is the best to cover hand movements.

Just idea.

Stabbity
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Sleight of hand v. spot is correct.

The metamagic feat: the still feat out of the PHB is the best to cover hand movements.

Just idea.

Dont forget to add silent spell so the target doesn't hear them and see the lips move

templeorder
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
That seems right, but as mentioned thats just the gesture part of a spell. And i would say and wizard would get a bonus because they really know a lot more about what they are seeing than the average person. Also, i would allow characters to 'slow cast' or some such thing that takes more time, but allows them to weave the spell into conversation and gesture if they were good with language too.

victim666
06-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Slieght of Hand vs. Spot works. But if you wanted you could throw in a Spellcraft check to make sure they dont screw it up while trying to hide it :)