PDA

View Full Version : Colonial Gothic

korhal23
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Anyone here familiar with this? (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=50468)

The concept sounds awesome but I'm looking for anyone who may have played it or at least read the corebook before I try to procure myself a copy.

Tamburlain
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Nope, never played, but the setting is one of my faves. In fact, in the last year I've begun to play Witch Hunter (a mediocre system imho) solely because it captures the whole Washington Irving-styled "Colonial Gothic" theme so well.

In any case, it will be interesting to see if anyone posts about this one.

korhal23
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Yeah, the reviews I found are ALL over the place, though there's apparently a normal version and a separate True20 version.

MortonStromgal
06-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Witch Hunter (a mediocre system imho) solely because it captures the whole Washington Irving-styled "Colonial Gothic" theme so well.

My thoughts exactly though I sorta like the Witchhunter system. Its nWOD meets d20 in some sorta unholy marriage. There is a nifty magic system to in there somewhere :D

Tamburlain
06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
My thoughts exactly though I sorta like the Witchhunter system. Its nWOD meets d20 in some sorta unholy marriage. There is a nifty magic system to in there somewhere :D

Agreed! Magic in Witch Hunter is praise-worthy. The part about the game that, as you say, is like nWOD is exactly the part that I find "mediocre". Changeling the Lost is another example, just going by personal taste, that to me has an amazing setting and a truly compelling character/adversary system, while also suffering from the larger nWOD mechanic that it incorporates. Nevertheless, I really like both games. They're both really fun to plan and GM.

korhal23
06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Seems no one is responding, so I'm going to have to procure it and review it then :P

Mangus
11-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Colonial Gothic is a game that my group has on the list to try. I hope this happens soon. I adore the time period, and see a ton of potential for a great horror game. The problem I am hearing though is that Colonial Gothic does not offer a viable way to play heroic characters. It seems you play very average people from what I have seen from character creation. Which is fine I guess, but I can see where boredom can creep in. Hopefully we will get to play CG soon, and I will share our experience with the game with everyone then.

michaelsbagley
11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Very tempted by this game.... Very tempted. As a colonial period re-enactor, I know the history inside and out, and have a good number of props I could use to add more flavour to the game. Thanks for pointing this one out, it will likely be another addition to my dust collecting books!

Graeme
10-08-2010, 05:04 AM
There's no "official" way to create heroic characters, but it's easy enough. All you have to do is build your characters on more points. Check out the section on villain creation, especially the table on p. 235.