PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a White Wolf PBP...

Baron_Samedi
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
As stated above, i'm looking for interested parties that would like to start a White Wolf PBP here at P&P...i was looking to use the Minds Eye Theatre rules to avoid dice rolls, but that is in no way the only way to go...i welcome any suggestions and/or volunteers...since this would be my first venture into PBP...

pleasant something...

-The Baron

Manimal6
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I miss the old white wolf games. The new versions are just not the same...

Baron_Samedi
06-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Apples to apples...

While the older version had more variety with the clans, tribes, kith etc...i do enjoy a new spin on an old favorite...the only thing i can say about the old version that i didn't care for was ramping up for some apocalyptic finale...felt like an awakened version of 'left behind'. This one seems to have more of a human element, if such a thing is possible...plus i love the idea that the Fae are more antagonistic than before...

Manimal6
06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Just bought the World of Darkness book again today. What I think would be great is to find people who know nothing about World of Darkness and start them playing regular Joes.

Baron_Samedi
06-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Or have the Fae come out and kidnap them, force them into Changeling-ness...that would be a shock to the system too...

Manimal6
06-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I know nothing at all about Changeling, not even the old White Wolf version.

Dark
06-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Just bought the World of Darkness book again today. What I think would be great is to find people who know nothing about World of Darkness and start them playing regular Joes. Then bust the madness on them. Maybe eventually grow in into a Hunters game.
Are you talking Monte Cook's World of Darkness?

Baron_Samedi
06-12-2009, 07:34 PM
No...just the regular ol' d10 goodness of WoD v.2...any game in particular, or all at once...my idea is to start with the basic WoD game, and then see where the game goes...they could be embraced by vampires, kidnapped by the fae...get caught up with shapeshifters, that sort of thing...

Dark
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Sweet now what time line are we looking at?

Baron_Samedi
06-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm going to assume you're talking about Requiem for Rome, Dark Ages, Victorian or Modern...if that's the case...i'm up for anything...i kind of like starting with Dark Ages, simply because i used to be able to transfer that over into a multi-generational game...neophytes from the Dark Ages are the Elders of modern day...plus i've really been itching to get some of this Dark Ages Werewolf and Fae worked in...

If i've missed my mark let me know....OWoD or NWoD doesn't matter, i'm comfortable with both...

Dark
06-13-2009, 03:12 PM
:whoo:Dark Ages works for me as well I loved playing the OWoD that one so give me a shout when you want to get the ball rolling.

Baron_Samedi
06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Alright...so there's two of us...if anyone else is on board for Dark Ages oWoD, let us know...we're also looking for volunteers to run the game as well...let us know...

Manimal6
06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
never played dark ages...

Baron_Samedi
06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Dark Ages, as the name implies, takes place anywhere from 1000, to where i usually stop it at 1385...just sounds like a good number...the concept of the story is the same, however it is more interesting in aspect because of the uniqueness of the time frame...vampires and other power players get involved in the church and various courts of nobility...and they begin to affect history of human civilization with trade and diplomacy...plus there are clans in the Dark Ages that you can play that you can't in the modern game...Salubri...Baali...
Plus there is also Dark Ages Werewolf...Mage...Fae...Inquisition...all that stuff...

Good times...

Manimal6
06-13-2009, 08:51 PM
1453 the trade routes to the orient were closed. started the age of exploration, kind of the end of the Dark Ages.

Baron_Samedi
06-14-2009, 06:35 AM
1453 the trade routes to the orient were closed. started the age of exploration, kind of the end of the Dark Ages.

:confused:

deathboy
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Mmmm... Dark Ages, it is where all the crack starts...:tongue:

Sorry had to say it. I love OWoD Dark Ages, but I also know as a fact that if not managed right it can blow apart quickly. Color me interested.

Baron_Samedi
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Considering i've got a lot of history knowledge, plus access to most if not all of the sourcebooks including dark ages: kindred of the east...and the clan books...i think we'll do okay...we still need someone to run the programs or whatnot...unless i miss my mark...:D

Dark
06-14-2009, 09:09 PM
What programs are you talking about?

Baron_Samedi
06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Are there not mapping programs and automated dicebots need to produce roll results for the characters...i'm not sure, but that's what we've had before with PBP years ago...

if i'm wrong then that's cool, i just thought that was the norm, unless something else is available...

Dark
06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Most of the DnD games I run I use image hosting and as for dice rolling if players have their own dice I let them roll if not I know this http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm is a online dice program.

Baron_Samedi
06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I think for the purposes of the game, we can go on the manual dice roll at home, and keep everyone on the honour system...unless we want to appoint a neutral dice roller...

if we're rolling dice manually, then i wouldn't mind running the game...

we just need to decide the following...

are we just doing DA: Vampire or DA: Vampire/Werewolf/Fae?

do we want to start off human or jump strait into our 'awakened' states?

let me know what you think...

Dark
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Up to you I only played/storytelled DA: Vampire but whatever is the most fun.

deathboy
06-15-2009, 10:35 PM
I am more particular to DA: Vampire, but I own Werewolf and Fea so I'd be up for any of them. If we do Mage let me know I'll just get the .pdf of the system, and go from there.

Baron_Samedi
06-16-2009, 06:51 AM
I am assuming that the group most concerned with this is deathboy and dark as well as myself...i might be able to get morton stromgal on board as well...

what i think we'll do is this...let's stick with DA vampire from the oWoD...and later on we'll incorporate others if needed/wanted...agreed?

also we need to figure out the following...

I. Start as humans or kindred?
II. Location....
III. Time, as in year...
IV. anything special...during a war...other special circumstances...

i think we'll do our own rolls and be on the honour system...

and i'm assuming i'll run it unless someone else wants to do so...

Dark; Deathboy...let me know...

deathboy
06-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I am assuming that the group most concerned with this is deathboy and dark as well as myself...i might be able to get morton stromgal on board as well...

what i think we'll do is this...let's stick with DA vampire from the oWoD...and later on we'll incorporate others if needed/wanted...agreed?

II. Location....
III. Time, as in year...

and i'm assuming i'll run it unless someone else wants to do so...

I am good with everything so far. I will also be searching around for a reasonable dice roller, as I like to do the digital fairness thing , this from too many nWoD LARPS that during down time we had to show the rolls.

As for your four inquiries my answers are as follows:

If Human then we can be ghouls to Cainite, If we Start as Cainite then Location may be an issue.
Location determins what clans are available, but I am always partial with Europe, as this is where all the history happened.
Time I am cool with the War of Princes as that tends to have a good following and great product support.
As for anything special I think we should focus on character creation first as that would tend to determine what you may wish to story in.

Other than that If you are running it Samedi, then I would use some of the resources at http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/ . I've found this site to be such a valuable resource for my table top game.

I will also see if i can cajole my wife to create an account here as she can play a mean Vampire character.

Dark
06-16-2009, 03:51 PM

II. Location....
III. Time, as in year...

and I'm assuming I'll run it unless someone else wants to do so...

I will use whichever dice/ dice roller the Storyteller wants either one won't hurt my feelings.

1.I'm cool starting as a human
2.I played a Norwegian Viking in 968 as well as English Crusader in 1198 I'm easy going.
3. As above I'm easy going can start back as far as 850 and work forward is fine by me. :)
4. As above. :)

Baron_Samedi
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Deathboy, since you seem to know the know...would you be adverse to running it? if there are no other objections?

Manimal6
06-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I have not explored much Vampire stuff. I would be interested in playing as well.

deathboy
06-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Deathboy, since you seem to know the know...would you be adverse to running it? if there are no other objections?

Um ok, sure. I have never run a pbp before, but I am willing to give it a whirl.

So if I do this then I would like to know if you wish to start Kine or Cainite. If we start Kine then I would like to know top five clans/bloodlines you wish to play, or if you are not sure just pm me a background and we'll see how it plays out.

I do suggest if we do straight up Cainite that we be mindful of Roads and how some just seem to be self destructive to one another, namely Road of Sin vs. Road of Night, Road of Blood and some varaibles of the Roads of Heaven and Humanity.

I will also reward character backgrounds with bonus xp for build, as I think great back stories should be rewarded.

I will post a site later today that does WoD dice rollers, and is free.

Also for any of the lurkers are interested in joining pm me as well with your intent and I'll friend you.

Baron_Samedi
06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
I think what we can do is set a time table up for getting all of the character information to you...

here's what we need...

first, find out who's interested...there are a few people i know here who maybe on board...

set a timeline for character sheets and character background...

posting schedule...how often...how to handle it...and little things like to we want to have an out of character thread for conversation or use a caption while we post. I think the external thread would be less distracting, but in any case...

Running it is the same as a face-to-face affair...framing the story...etc...but with each player, they would post in character...and that's something we need to establish...is how often to check for posts...so we can keep the game moving...

let us know if you come up with anything else...

deathboy
06-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Fine by me. I will warn everyone now the way I run WoD is different than the way I run D&D and CoC. I tend to go 75% RP/25% combat, as I tend to think that violence for Cainite should be left for minions, frenzies, and last resorts.

As for the dice roller i found this: http://www.umbralechoes.com/WoDRoller.php

Baron_Samedi
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Fine with me...every time i played White Wolf before, i was thrown out for NOT wanting hack and slash tactics...

next step is to get in touch with farcaster about the PBP forum...and coming up with a name...

any ideas?

deathboy
06-17-2009, 07:50 AM
I think I will post something on my blog to help everyone find the resources to use.

HotSoup
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
this sounds interesting.

MortonStromgal
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
My input for what its worth is

1. Set it just after the 3rd crusade, around an area that there isnt as much detailed history. Northern Africa, Northern Europe, Eastern Europe, or Western Asia. (I'm personally fond of Northern Europe)

2. Use the auto success rule possibly setting the target numbers lower (I suggest lowering it by 1) and add paper/rock/scissors where only the GM knows what he picked. If we beat the GM we get +2 to our skill if the GM beats us we get -2 to our skill if its a tie then it just stays even.

3. Run Dark Ages Vampire/Mage or Dark Ages Werewolf/Mage, where the party is mostly of the first type but you can have 1 or 2 mages.

deathboy
06-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks Morton for your input. I want to actually avoid cross genre game as it creates more work for everyone on what trumps what. I also don't own the DA:Mage book yet. :(

I am also a veteran of the R-P-S system and have to say I have been both a victim and offender of said system, thus I will go with a dice roller.

As for time and setting, I am more leaning towards Holy Roman Empire during the War of Princes, but I am willing to see what everyone else wishes to do.

In the end I just need to see how many wish to play and where they want to have their setting for the Story. I will also like to know if there is any concepts they would like to explore while playing and find a way to fit it into the game.

MortonStromgal
06-18-2009, 11:25 AM
No problem, I wasnt thinking of the MET p/r/s i was thinking of just using it as fudge style dice so you can do better, worse or equal to what you think you would.

deathboy
06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok forum in the making... I just dropped Farcaster a pm as I set up the basic title: Darkness at the Crossroads. So please keep an eye out for it if you wish to play.

Also thank you Dark for sending my your basic background and ideas for Clan. I like what I see.

Once we have the Forum up I'll set about a little brainstorming post for you all to look at and such.

Dark
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
:thumb:sounds like a plan my man!

deathboy
06-21-2009, 01:44 PM
For anyone interested in playing. I created a Social Group called Darkness at the Crossroads. Join up and join the discussion on brainstorming. I will be hoping to start game sometime in July.

Thanks,
deathboy

*Edit: Forum is up as well now.:laugh: