PDA

View Full Version : Trail of Nyarlathotep!

TahaCelestin
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Join us on the Trail of Nyarlathotep!

We are running THE classic Call of Cthulhu campaign, "Masks of Nyarlathotep," using the brand-spanky-new Trail of Cthulhu system. We have a wealthy Irish mobster, an occultist dilettante, a doctor with a mysterious past, and a navy officer rapidly descending into madness! It's a great group with a great dynamic. Having lost one player, we're looking for more.

The level of action varies; I put the 75/25 ratio above, but some evenings the whole session is taken up in fights, while at other times it is all investigation and discussion.

We're playing in Decatur, Georgia, in the area of the Emory campus and the Veteran's Administration hospital, right near this address (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3073+n+druid+hills+rd,+decatur+ga&sll=33.81153,-84.302473&sspn=0.057123,0.107546&ie=UTF8&z=17&iwloc=A).
If you're interested, contact me and I'll give you the actual address (which our host is of course not interested in having blazoned across the internet.

Rochin
06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I ran through "Masks of Nyarlathotep" as a player almost a year ago using the Spirit of the Century, great fun. Really enjoyed the setting and all of the various twists and odd things it contained.

TahaCelestin
06-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Rochin, it's a fabulous published campaign, and I'm very interested to hear how your group adapted Spirit of the Century for lovecraftian horror! It's another system I'm looking forward to playing.

Some people over at yog-sothoth.com have been making a "Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion" which Chaosium is publishing as a MULA Monograph. Right now there is a thread called Masks Companion Contest: Memories of Masks (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15665). The editor of the book writes:

'Masks' is undoubtedly one of the most played campaigns for Call of Cthulhu, and judging by the response here to the Companion there are a lot of members of the site that have made more than a few memories probing into the mysteries of the Carlyle Expedition. What we'd like for you to do is to share these memories with the other readers of the site. One poster will be selected by the editors of the Companion (in consultation with certain occult oracles) to win a free copy of the Companion, once published, method of selection TBD by the number of submissions.

What we'd like to see:
Exciting moments, great player quotes, fond memories, amusing anecdotes... whatever those moments that define the campaign and your experience with it.

The rules:
Valid posts will include comments about your own experiences running, playing, or otherwise involving the campaign "Masks of Nyarlathotep". Submissions determined to be bogus or not written by the poster will result in disqualification.

Please avoid making multiple posts; selection for the prize will by poster and not post.

Please keep your "memory" to 500 words or less.

Contributors to the Companion (there therefor already receiving a copy as such) may contribute but are disqualified from winning. Sorry. We'd like to let someone else get a crack at a copy too. Likewise, Nyarlathotep (in any of his 999 forms) as well as his Million Favored Ones are also prohibited from winning (though members like Nyarlathotep or The_Crawling_Chaos are presumed not to actually by Nyarlathotep unless proven otherwise).

Previously posted "memories" from other topics on ysdc may be reposted here by their original author and are welcome (in this way this thread can serve as a good clearing house for MoN stories).

***IMPORTANT*** Posts to this topic may be used in the Companion at the editor's discretion. Any post to this topic may be used but there is no guarantee that any will be included. Posts may be edited for length, clarity, and content (if needed). In all cases the original author will be given attribution, but no other reward is offered (save to the contest winner).

The contest will close June 30th, 2009.

HBL
06-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh, man, I've already played through Masks, otherwise I'd be all over this. If/when you move to another campaign and you're looking for a player, fire up a flare.

We used original CoC rules when I last played it, and for us it was a spectacular character mill. Have a blast!