PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons online goes free!

MortonStromgal
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.massively.com/2009/06/09/ddo-adds-free-to-play-with-eberron-unlimited/

Hopefully it will breath some life into the old beast, they had some good ideas but when I was playing the lack of quests at low level was bothersome.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd try it if and when they get rid of the restrictions/conditions.

Thanks for the fyi, MortonStrongal.

mrken
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Not that I ever cared to play this game, but it still looks like a game for those who pay. Appears to one who does not play that those who don't pay are cannon fodder to those who do. Still no incentive for me to get into it.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Just told my buddy who let his account expire. I'm sure he will continue playing it at the 'free' price, but at the monthly fee, not.

Harwel
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Not that I ever cared to play this game, but it still looks like a game for those who pay. Appears to one who does not play that those who don't pay are cannon fodder to those who do. Still no incentive for me to get into it.

Micro-transaction based games can be successful without having "pay" players blow away "free" players. See Runes of Magic for a good implementation of this, where you pay for conveniences such as mounts and bag/bank space but the best equipment is dropped. This has been a popular pay model for MMOs in Asia for some time, and I think you can expect to see more of it in the West in the not-to-distant future.

Anyway, I tried the demo for DDO when it first came out and... meh. If I was going to play a Turbine MMO it would probably be LotRO, but I have no time for MMOs anymore.

mrken
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I played Runescape or Quest or something like that. It was free ok, but it was so boring. Kind of like all the other online games. Quest after quest after quest. Go find this, go find that, give it to this guy or that one. Kill everything that you see and steal everything that can't be killed. I really don't like those kind of games. Think I would rather go play Panzer General for the 10,000 time.

Harwel
06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I played Runescape or Quest or something like that. It was free ok, but it was so boring. Kind of like all the other online games. Quest after quest after quest. Go find this, go find that, give it to this guy or that one. Kill everything that you see and steal everything that can't be killed. I really don't like those kind of games. Think I would rather go play Panzer General for the 10,000 time.

MMOs are generally highly dependent on you getting together with a bunch of other people to overcome the game's tougher challenges for the fun-factor. If you consider that fun, of course. World of Seehowlongyoucanputupwith39peopleyoucanbarelystand-craft FTW? (Yes I know 40-man raids are long gone before anyone picks on that comment!) I tend to agree with you though, slogging through the leveling grind can be pretty boring sometimes.

Q-man
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I never tried this game when it came out, but I was very interested based on the name alone. I'd certainly like to take a look at it, now that the trial version is pretty extensive. I can't imagine that they'd give you everything for free. But given that I get bored with most games after a couple of weeks anyway this should work pretty well, for me at least.

Thanks for the tip!

Bob the Dalek
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
You know, guild wars was free to play and had all this stuff. I'm not all that interested.

Stabbity
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.massively.com/2009/06/09/ddo-adds-free-to-play-with-eberron-unlimited/

Hopefully it will breath some life into the old beast, they had some good ideas but when I was playing the lack of quests at low level was bothersome.

what would breath life into it is if they would advertise a bt and release new content more then once a fricken year. Now they're just going to loose what little funding they had.

MortonStromgal
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
what would breath life into it is if they would advertise a bt and release new content more then once a fricken year. Now they're just going to loose what little funding they had.

Actually free to play games tend to make about $50 per user per month (this sounds insane but people will pay for gold, better weapons, more characters, etc). And frankly what killed them was servers always being down and then claiming its your ISP. Yeah the entire usa and all of europe is having ISP problems :rolleyes: couldnt be their problem and no we wont refund any of your money.

Stabbity
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually free to play games tend to make about $50 per user per month (this sounds insane but people will pay for gold, better weapons, more characters, etc). And frankly what killed them was servers always being down and then claiming its your ISP. Yeah the entire usa and all of europe is having ISP problems :rolleyes: couldnt be their problem and no we wont refund any of your money.

Theres also the lack of comminication too. so they hit a trifecta. good news is I wont have to pay for it when Star Wars Old Repub comes out.

Grimwell
06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
I really enjoyed DDO at launch. I'm excited about this announcement. It's the first major shift in revenue strategy for a North American MMO, and I hope it does well for Turbine.

I'd say that even on a free account, if you play DDO in a group with friends ala 'scheduled gaming dates' it could be a lot of fun.

Oldgamer
06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I enjoyed it at launch too, and played it for a couple of years before it just got to be the same thing over an over. There is a level cap, and if you don't belong to a guild, it's hard to get any of the good treasure that's out there. I just let it expire and haven't looked back

I might try it if it goes free though.

Harwel
06-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I enjoyed it at launch too, and played it for a couple of years before it just got to be the same thing over an over. There is a level cap, and if you don't belong to a guild, it's hard to get any of the good treasure that's out there. I just let it expire and haven't looked back

I might try it if it goes free though.

That's pretty much every MMORPG though.

Skunkape
06-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah the entire usa and all of europe is having ISP problems :rolleyes: couldnt be their problem and no we wont refund any of your money.

Now you know it wouldn't be there fault! Same way the company my wife works for says it's our cable router that's keeping her from connecting to her company's VPN, when I can connect to my work's VPN from my machine that's using the same cable router.

Oh and I've told them numerous times that the machine my wife is using is the same one, with a software wipe and re-install that I used to use to connect to my work's VPN. I could probably even set up the VPN for my work on her machine and connect no problem, but of course then I'd get the excuse that it's the VPN connection to my work on her machine that's causing the problem!:eek:

:)

nijineko
06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
unless and until they put psionics back into eberron, one of the few campaign worlds to intimately incorporate psionics from the onset, it's not an option... even if they paid me to play.