PDA

View Full Version : Best, and most useful, non-magical items in rpgs, list a few...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Best, and most useful, non-magical items to have along in your campaigns, list a few... All rpgs are welcome to play along.

Please list non-magical items for any rpg, any edition (if applicable), and the whys they are an absolute must to have along during an adventure.

Here are just a few of mine:

1) 10ft pole, dnd. Though, admittedly, i never brought one in, ever.
2) Whip, WFRP, primarily, but used in my dnd campaigns, too. Best thing to have along to keep wild animals at bay. Great item for adventuring halflings (Hobbits, if you prefer.), gnomes, and, well, just about anyone when in the wild.

What share the rest of you?

Harwel
06-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Must have some rope and a small mirror (or other reflective surface). Great for signalling, looking around corners, and monsters with gaze attacks. ;)

Baldwin Stonewood
06-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Rope...you can not go wrong with a 50ft coil of rope.
Tanglefoot - quick way to slow the advancing enemy.
Thunderstone - Boom there should always be a loud boom.
Holy water - always handy with the undead or demon.

Those non-magical items are always needed at some point or time.

gajenx
06-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Um I say clothes, food and after that I loved having a shovel.

templeorder
06-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Aside from offensive and defensive gear, its gotta be rope - because Charles Bronson's always got some... and he's always using it. Holy water, pack, watered wine, naptha, walking stick

gajenx
06-08-2009, 06:45 PM
A towel! How could we have forgotten to mention that one yet.

RoryN
06-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Our group didn't adventure unless everyone had at least 50' of rope, and about 10 iron spikes in our packs. Those spikes came in as handy little missile weapons on more than one occassion.

Anyone remember caltrops (AD&D)? Usually had a couple of dozen or so of those between us as well.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Our group didn't adventure unless everyone had at least 50' of rope, and about 10 iron spikes in our packs. Those spikes came in as handy little missile weapons on more than one occassion.

Anyone remember caltrops (AD&D)? Usually had a couple of dozen or so of those between us as well.

3.5 has caltrops. I used them in my last campaign in a dark natural sewer....fun :lol:

Garthungalor
06-08-2009, 08:49 PM
To bad duct tape wasn't around, you wouldn't need anything else!

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Grappling hook, to get over those difficult walls.

RoryN
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Grappling hook, to get over those difficult walls.

That's why you always have a halfling and some fighter type with 18+ strength. :D

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
That's why you always have a halfling and some fighter type with 18+ strength. :D
Hilarious. Had something similar to that happen in an adventure, not once, but twice. Simply, hilarious... and how right you are, RoryN.

Parzival
06-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Beer. After all, the water isn't safe to drink.
<grin> I have wandered far from my D&D roots.

cplmac
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Best, and most useful, non-magical items to have along in your campaigns, list a few... All rpgs are welcome to play along.

Please list non-magical items for any rpg, any edition (if applicable), and the whys they are an absolute must to have along during an adventure.

Here are just a few of mine:

1) 10ft pole, dnd. Though, admittedly, i never brought one in, ever.
2) Whip, WFRP, primarily, but used in my dnd campaigns, too. Best thing to have along to keep wild animals at bay. Great item for adventuring halflings (Hobbits, if you prefer.), gnomes, and, well, just about anyone when in the wild.

What share the rest of you?

Aw Thoth, you beat me to the 10 foot pole.

Several members of the Tsojcanth group commented about what good is a 10 foot pole anyway. The first time something dropped from the ceiling at them, they were suddenly glad that a couple of them did decide to bring them along. They also started to check the ceilings too, before entering into the larger rooms in the Caverns.

I will also second the grappling hook. Seems like there is always someone that brings rope, but makes it difficult to use it if you are at the bottom of the wall.

How about a good secondary weapon for fighting with. Never know when something could happen and your favorite weapon ends up broken.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Aw Thoth, you beat me to the 10 foot pole.

Several members of the Tsojcanth group commented about what good is a 10 foot pole anyway. The first time something dropped from the ceiling at them, they were suddenly glad that a couple of them did decide to bring them along. They also started to check the ceilings too, before entering into the larger rooms in the Caverns.

I will also second the grappling hook. Seems like there is always someone that brings rope, but makes it difficult to use it if you are at the bottom of the wall.

How about a good secondary weapon for fighting with. Never know when something could happen and your favorite weapon ends up broken.
Would you believe that we never used a 10ft pole in our games, in our entire lives. So, even back in the 1970's, we never used one. Kind of a mark of passage not to bring one in... and survive.

DarQuing
06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm going along with the rope & grappling hook crowd, even though I've never used one or a 10' pole. :p

Soft Serve
06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
A towel! How could we have forgotten to mention that one yet.

♥Hitchikers Guide♥

Nobody brought up the infinite backpack.

You know the one that will hold spears, entire thrones, several glass bottles (that never ever break) containing any number of magical liquids, all those papers that never get crumpled, your 10ft poles, grappling hooks, and ropes, right next to your food that never spoils with your water thats always cold, and so long as it's at least one pound under your weight limit it's like it's not even there!

Every adventurer has one. :rolleyes:

mnemenoi
06-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Chalk, it can occasionally shed some light on that dungeon that is giving you trouble, at least to tell you where you have been. A few others that are often acquired never to be remembered again are Whetstone, cooking pots, and that trusted old winter blanket from your 1st level days...

Malruhn
06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Soft Serve, I was about to jump on you for not reading the thread title and posting magical stuff - until I smelled what you were stepping in.

I think you won the thread! That infinite backpack has GOT to be the one on0-magical item that has been nearly everywhere!

Soft Serve
06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Soft Serve, I was about to jump on you for not reading the thread title and posting magical stuff - until I smelled what you were stepping in.

I think you won the thread! That infinite backpack has GOT to be the one on0-magical item that has been nearly everywhere!

Charp. :)

Got that joke from the DM of the Rings.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-29-2009, 01:04 PM
Trail Rations and Waterskins. Can't forget those.

gajenx
06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
you only need trail rations when your characters are too prideful to eat what monsters they kill or if they are afraid of hunting wild animals and gathering plants for foods.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-29-2009, 01:18 PM
you only need trail rations when your characters are too prideful to eat what monsters they kill or if they are afraid of hunting wild animals and gathering plants for foods.

:laugh: its funny you that. In my current game there is pc who took the human jerky out of the dead bugbears cold hands and began eating it immediately.

gajenx
06-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I was in a game where PC got killed and no way to bring him back everyone was elven but me, played an experimental cheif halfling, as in the hobbit version, who was afraid of hunger and alittle on the crazy side about it. so after everyone decided they were going to leave the guy with rocks over him I stayed behind to do it and just got myself a good amount of elf jerky to eat. Prior to doing it I commissioned a wizard to make me a magical jerky maker. so I used that to instanta jerky the elf. EVeryone of the PCs kept saying that I was committing cannibalism, and I constantly was saying no I'm not an elf so it is just survival.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Well I was in a game where PC got killed and no way to bring him back everyone was elven but me, played an experimental cheif halfling, as in the hobbit version, who was afraid of hunger and alittle on the crazy side about it. so after everyone decided they were going to leave the guy with rocks over him I stayed behind to do it and just got myself a good amount of elf jerky to eat. Prior to doing it I commissioned a wizard to make me a magical jerky maker. so I used that to instanta jerky the elf. EVeryone of the PCs kept saying that I was committing cannibalism, and I constantly was saying no I'm not an elf so it is just survival.

All creatures have to eat something. Its all a matter of points of view (POV). Humans eat fish, dear, boar and so forth. Bugbears eat humans, halfling eat elves its all in the POV. All more appetizing with a nice chianti.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Sharpening stones and flint, if anyone hasn't mentioned them yet.

gajenx
06-29-2009, 01:44 PM
All creatures have to eat something. Its all a matter of points of view (POV). Humans eat fish, dear, boar and so forth. Bugbears eat humans, halfling eat elves its all in the POV. All more appetizing with a nice chianti.

Not for elves they are white meat not read meat. You need a nice Riesling for them. Though in a inch a red I could could do if you ate the dark meat.

Soft Serve
06-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Another one would have to be the single pair of clothing you wear underneath your armor that never ever smells, rips, or tears, or shrinks in the wash (not that you wash it).

Or your boots that survive thousands upon thousands of miles of hiking and never split at the seams or become uncomfortable.

And all of that crap doesn't stay the same size of course...It grows with you as you age naturally.

gajenx
06-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I guess I never think that others do not often rebuy their clothes since I usually have weird characters who care about being clean and able to nicely present themselves to others in games. Thus I always have extra oil treatments for leathers, buy extra clothes and boots and then when going someplace nice wear the unused clothing, if there is a wizard in the group get them pressed and cleaned with a bit of magic.

Oldgamer
06-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Rope, Flint & Steel, grappling hook, rations :)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I knew one guy who would say that a horse and cart was the most useful. His thinking was that he would park it somewhere and then after adventuring, would fill it and bring back all the valuables to town.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I knew one guy who would say that a horse and cart was the most useful. His thinking was that he would park it somewhere and then after adventuring, would fill it and bring back all the valuables to town.

Apparently, he was an optimist.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon
06-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Very much so. Boy was he angry when his cart was ransacked and the horse killed and eaten after he had left it for a bit of adventuring over one or two evenings.

This was WFRP. There are thieves, opportunists, undead, gobbos, orcs, beastmen, and other foul things living in the Black Forest, and they are always hungry.

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Very much so. Boy was he angry when his cart was ransacked and the horse killed and eaten after he had left it for a bit of adventuring over one or two evenings.

This was WFRP. There are thieves, opportunists, undead, gobbos, orcs, beastmen, and other foul things living in the Black Forest, and they are always hungry.

He was also confident that he would be able to leave the dungeon.

It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the cart something was going to happen to his cart and horses. :)

Soft Serve
06-30-2009, 06:55 PM
I like how players in RPG's will complain about walking so much. It's almost like you were actually making them walk somewhere...

Baldwin Stonewood
06-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I like how players in RPG's will complain about walking so much. It's almost like you were actually making them walk somewhere...

Players probably figure their horse, donkey, riding dog or whatever will be stolen, killed or eaten.

I'm currently in one game and my cleric rides his light warhorse, who he named after his deity. He has had this horse for quite awhile too.

SneakSneakStabStab
07-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Straight backpack. can't carry your stuffs in your hands and fight at the same time.

wbrandel
07-31-2009, 10:56 AM
in all these posts nobody mentioned twine and small bells. they are great for setting traps to cover your back in a dungeon and for setting a perimeter warning system when you are camping out in the wild hostile terrain. (yes my DM despises me at times)

Soft Serve
07-31-2009, 04:39 PM
in all these posts nobody mentioned twine and small bells. they are great for setting traps to cover your back in a dungeon and for setting a perimeter warning system when you are camping out in the wild hostile terrain. (yes my DM despises me at times)

I'd let it go maybe thrice before I just sent incorporeal monsters after you.

tesral
08-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Money, it's amazing what you can do with it.